View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Looking for a New Car. Drummers' Advice Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Diesel here's about 7% dearer than petrol (gas). Just be thankful you're not having to pay our fuel prices. You guys over the pond get away with super low tax on fuel, & pretty damn cheap drum prices too!
Correct. I didn't want to get too specific, but your 7% higher diesel price still makes diesel cheaper in the long run when you take into account the added mileage benefit, especially considering the high cost of fuel generally. Things are not that different here in terms of price discrepancy these days, especially now that we have the low-sulfur diesel. Diesel fuel was very gross in these parts for a long time! The vast majority of the public doesnt know that diesel is a superior or equivalent fuel now.

Sorry I am taking this discussion to a technical level that OP is not interested. Regardless, he doesnt really have any diesel options in the cars he is looking at. Ford and Mazda keep saying they will offer diesel engines for the Mazda2/Fiesta and Mazda3/Focus, but I doubt it will happen any time soon, especially now that they can get 40mph out of the 1.6 gas engines in both cars