DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Richard Christy (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9912)

ventor 03-27-2006 08:59 AM

Richard Christy

In my opinion, Richard Christy is the best Drummer ever seen on this planet. At the moment he is performing with Iced Earth, since this is a straight True Metal Band he does not have the possibility to show his real abilities here. But maybe you remember the last Death - record, The sound of perseverance. At this time, the legendary Chuck Schuldiner even called him "the most talented drummer of the 90īs. Replacing Gene Hoglan he had a heavy burden to carry, but he managed perfectly. I canīt say that he is better than Hoglan (who the hell is??), but even more technical and progressive.
So, tell me what you think about him and tell what else you know of this quiet, amazing man...

The_Chaotic_One 03-27-2006 09:45 AM

Re: Richard Christy

Quote:

Originally Posted by ventor
In my opinion, Richard Christy is the best Drummer ever seen on this planet. At the moment he is performing with Iced Earth, since this is a straight True Metal Band he does not have the possibility to show his real abilities here. But maybe you remember the last Death - record, The sound of perseverance. At this time, the legendary Chuck Schuldiner even called him "the most talented drummer of the 90īs. Replacing Gene Hoglan he had a heavy burden to carry, but he managed perfectly. I canīt say that he is better than Hoglan (who the hell is??), but even more technical and progressive.
So, tell me what you think about him and tell what else you know of this quiet, amazing man...

Correction, he parted ways with Iced Earth well over a year ago and is now involved with the Howard Stern show and does his own standup comedy, Bobby Jarzombek replaced him, and also check out the album 'The Fragile Art Of Existance' which Chuck did with Richard after 'The Sound Of Perserverance' album under a new bandname called 'Control Denied' (basically Death with a powermetal/progressive metal vocalist).

The_Chaotic_One 03-27-2006 09:46 AM

PS. love your avitar! \m/

ventor 03-27-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Chaotic_One
PS. love your avitar! \m/

Haha I do as well... I have heard about Control Denied, but never heard a single song. Are they good (if one likes Power Metal vocals)?? But I cant imagine seeing this guy in a standup comedy, he seemed so quiet to me... Is he funny, actually?

The_Chaotic_One 03-27-2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

Haha I do as well... I have heard about Control Denied, but never heard a single song. Are they good (if one likes Power Metal vocals)?? But I cant imagine seeing this guy in a standup comedy, he seemed so quiet to me... Is he funny, actually?

Control Denied is basically Death (Perserverance era) musically but with Chuck focusing 100% on guitar and a dedicated vocalist who sings kinda progressively or powermetalish, awesome album man! worth every dollar! they did start on a 2nd album just b4 Chuck passed on and he had finished all of his guitar parts b4 he died but the rest of the bad is yet to complete recordings/mixing/mastering etc. which sucks, they say that it will come out someday but nobody knows exactly when etc.
Richard Christy is pretty funny check out his website...

http://www.richardchristy.com/

ventor 03-27-2006 12:25 PM

Alright I will. Thanks for the information, man :-)

tambian89 03-27-2006 01:10 PM

I listened to his work with Death on The Sound of Perserverence and he was amazing. He has a great sound on all of his equipment; his drums and cymbals sounded great (I still wonder what types he used). He is definately one of the better metal drummers, and he really knows how to use grooves and "little tricks" as Neil Peart calls them.

- Marc

The_Chaotic_One 03-27-2006 01:49 PM

If you love Reinert, Hoglan and Christys' drumming with Death and the like, checkout two newer bands 'Sceptic' and 'Gory Blister' also great progressive deathmetal!

ventor 03-27-2006 02:25 PM

I listened to Gory Blister and I thought they are really good but not as progressive as Death in their later period. @ Tambian: if you wanna know what the dude uses, have a look at http://www.richardchristy.com/, here is all about him (thanks for the link, chaotic).

Jookbox 03-27-2006 06:58 PM

Quote:

yes he's funny. i'd say at this point more people know him because of howard stern than metal drumming.

ventor 03-27-2006 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jookbox
yes he's funny. i'd say at this point more people know him because of howard stern than metal drumming.

Maybe where you live... In Germany noone ever saw this show :-) except the Christy-fans via internet or something, but the show is unknown to us krauts

Jookbox 03-27-2006 10:52 PM

ahh, good point :)

VampiricNightMachine 03-28-2006 12:54 PM

Richard Christy is unbelievable, I love their record sound of perseverence. Amazing cymbal work and overall very inventive. His fill in spirit crusher which appears twice in the song, I think, is so great, I ve already tried to figure it out but did not come to a real result,lol; I love escpecially the blasting beginning with double bass and all kinds of cymbals

ventor 03-28-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VampiricNightMachine
Richard Christy is unbelievable, I love their record sound of perseverence. Amazing cymbal work and overall very inventive. His fill in spirit crusher which appears twice in the song, I think, is so great, I ve already tried to figure it out but did not come to a real result,lol; I love escpecially the blasting beginning with double bass and all kinds of cymbals

Right! the sound of this China he uses in the song is sooo incredible, never heard anything like this before. And the snare, so warm but still heavy!!!
Master of sound, definetely

Pedro 03-28-2006 04:55 PM

He is very creative!! A great great drummer...and the performances live are as perfect as in the studio...just amazing.

Great drummer, with his own special style of playing...that you could recognise from miles away :-).

metaldrummer3211 08-19-2006 08:16 AM

Quote:

Right! the sound of this China he uses in the song is sooo incredible, never heard anything like this before. And the snare, so warm but still heavy!!!
Master of sound, definetely

Haha, and to think that the china that he used is a Sabian B8 Pro 18" china. There was such amazing sound that came from such a low quality cymbal.

BrynnerAgassi 09-01-2007 02:46 AM

I never thought anything too much of Richard Christy. But I heard the solo he had with Mike Portnoy, and he is a pretty good drummer... I still dont think or would call him the best, but he is good, and he plays his style well!

michael drums 09-01-2007 06:49 AM

Hey...

Any videos of this guy, Richard Christy?? Would LOVE to see him play! You've tweeked my curiosity. Thanks!

...Play On! ;-)

II xMETALx II 01-07-2008 05:26 PM

Firstly, Ventor your avatar is awesome because its of the best thrash metal band ever \m/. Actually make that the best metal band ever \m/!

Now to Richard Christy, holy s..t! Unbelievable drummer! This guy is definitely one of my idols, his work with Death on SOP and Symbolic is nothing short of brilliant.

As for videos you can watch some live performances from Death on youtube.

Check this out

drummingman 03-15-2008 11:43 AM

great drummer he is!
gene hoglan played on symbolic.

Jeff Almeyda 03-15-2008 12:07 PM

Richard is one helluva metal drummer. It's so weird that's he basically gave it all up to be on The Howard Stern Show. I guess being flat broke helps the decision-making process.