DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics) (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97816)

Piebe 11-19-2012 11:26 PM

My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
1 Attachment(s)
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6770/sdc11901q.jpg

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/2531/sdc11900e.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4534/sdc11899w.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3314/sdc11898x.jpg

These cymbals grow on me by the day, i love 'm so much that i just had to make a few pictures to share with you who have the same passion. They sound just as bright like they shine, check the attachment for an audio clip. The ride has so much characteristic and a body that almost sounds like a bass tone.

bobdadruma 11-19-2012 11:45 PM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Like looking at candy to me.
Nice pies.

GRUNTERSDAD 11-20-2012 12:08 AM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
All I can say is very nice...

Anthony Amodeo 11-20-2012 01:47 AM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
welcome to the Istanbul family

gorgeous pies brother


...hey Grunt....your avi and my sig look real sweet together :)

<(' . '<) 11-20-2012 03:06 AM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Very nice cymbals and kit. Congrats

Piebe 11-20-2012 07:16 PM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Thanks for the nice replies that makes me love them even more!

BacteriumFendYoke 11-20-2012 07:27 PM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
My ex-girlfriend is a teacher and her old school (on Guernsey) got hold of a pair of Mapex Meridian Birch sets with Samatya cymbals. I came in to help clear out the department and promptly sat in front of the new kit. I was very happy with how they played and how they sounded. They're nice and versatile, well made and visually appealing. Definitely a good buy.

Piebe 11-21-2012 05:06 AM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Thanks for sharing that. Always nice to have a witness of something we like. The cymbals keep growing on me! :)

Swiss Matthias 11-21-2012 09:03 AM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Yeah both Istanbul branches make beautiful lower price level cymbals. I like the Samatya
ones too, and the Alchemy ones (by Agop) as well. ..... well maybe a bit better :).

Piebe 11-21-2012 09:31 AM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias (Post 1071833)
Yeah both Istanbul branches make beautiful lower price level cymbals. I like the Samatya
ones too, and the Alchemy ones (by Agop) as well. ..... well maybe a bit better :).

I never heard the Alchemy Agop cymbals but they sure look nice too!

Arky 11-21-2012 10:20 AM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Congrats to your cymbals.
I've modded many cracked cymbals (mostly into bells), with a 14'' Istanbul Mehmet and 18'' Istanbul Samatya China among them - I've modded them to bells, too. Even as heavily cracked as it came the china sounded superbly when I tapped it, it was evident they're using top material. In retrospect I should have modded the china into a splash, not into a bell. Damn, what a waste...

Piebe 11-21-2012 10:33 AM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arky (Post 1071852)
Congrats to your cymbals.
I've modded many cracked cymbals (mostly into bells), with a 14'' Istanbul Mehmet and 18'' Istanbul Samatya China among them - I've modded them to bells, too. Even as heavily cracked as it came the china sounded superbly when I tapped it, it was evident they're using top material. In retrospect I should have modded the china into a splash, not into a bell. Damn, what a waste...

Thank you for your reply, but i have to admit it made me quiver a bit since it can also mean they easily break. I suspect if that happens to me dark clouds would come over my head. Do you suggest i insure them? ;)

Arky 11-21-2012 11:11 AM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
1 Attachment(s)
As we all know, all cymbals (can) crack. And they crack mostly because of pilot error/hitting them too hard/wrong, sometimes due to manufacturing issues. I assume you know how to handle them so I wouldn't worry. Plus, thin cymbals tend to sound great (from my limited experience) so once again, I think you're going the right way.

I suggest if they crack - send them over to me, I'll send you 5 Euros (and either "repair" them or modify them into anything useable), haha. Just kidding, I'll send you 10 Euros ;-)
[Honestly I'll be glad to help you with repairs/modifications if wanted/needed.]

Here's that china as it came - that pic is just to shock you, haha. But it's true, that material is quite thin.

Piebe 11-21-2012 01:33 PM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arky (Post 1071865)
As we all know, all cymbals (can) crack. And they crack mostly because of pilot error/hitting them too hard/wrong, sometimes due to manufacturing issues. I assume you know how to handle them so I wouldn't worry. Plus, thin cymbals tend to sound great (from my limited experience) so once again, I think you're going the right way.

I suggest if they crack - send them over to me, I'll send you 5 Euros (and either "repair" them or modify them into anything useable), haha. Just kidding, I'll send you 10 Euros ;-)
[Honestly I'll be glad to help you with repairs/modifications if wanted/needed.

Luckily at this point my cymbals are fine, but if i do smash 'm into sudden death i will look you up! We are neighbors at least, so be careful what you promise!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arky (Post 1071865)
Here's that china as it came - that pic is just to shock you, haha. But it's true, that material is quite thin.

Dear goodness, i covered my mouth when i saw that. Was that the result of Donkey Kong playing the drums?

Piebe 03-02-2013 11:15 PM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Still very happy with my cymbals after a couple of months playing them so much that the paint is starting to wear off. So, those of you considering to buy this set: you will not be disappointed!

poika 03-19-2013 10:35 PM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Looks pretty nice!

I just got myself a really thin Istanbul Mehmet Traditional 20" ride a month ago, to use as a crash.
It has now officially become my favourite cymbal!
To my ears it's like butter made out of diamonds, I tell you

larryace 03-19-2013 11:25 PM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Looking at a pic of a cymbal is like listening to a recording of a painting. Just saying lol.

Swiss Matthias 03-20-2013 10:10 AM

Re: My new Istanbul Mehmet Samatya Cymbals (pics)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arky (Post 1071865)
Here's that china as it came - that pic is just to shock you, haha. But it's true, that material is quite thin.

So you must have been very hungry :D


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com