DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95063)

drummer-russ 09-12-2012 03:11 AM

Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Anyone familar with this throne? Looking to reduce stress on tailbone etc.

http://www.carmichaelthrone.com/inde...mart&Itemid=55

porter 02-19-2013 07:04 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
I have the same question. I know Jai Es uses one of these. But do any of you wonderful forum-goers have some insight on this nice-looking buttpad?

Bo Eder 02-19-2013 07:21 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
I've never seen that before but I think the design makes sense. I've seen a similar thing done to bicycle saddles for the racers and that works for those organs (the crotch area). I suppose this would work for the tail end of the spine, but honestly, I've never had an issue with pain at the end of the spine, and considering that not many people are demanding regular chairs have this modification would lead me to believe there's probably a very small population that needs this.

They'd probably get more takers if they didn't charge so much just for the seat top. Their price for just that is more than an entire throne from somebody else.

porter 02-19-2013 08:25 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 1111117)
I've never seen that before but I think the design makes sense. I've seen a similar thing done to bicycle saddles for the racers and that works for those organs (the crotch area). I suppose this would work for the tail end of the spine, but honestly, I've never had an issue with pain at the end of the spine, and considering that not many people are demanding regular chairs have this modification would lead me to believe there's probably a very small population that needs this.

They'd probably get more takers if they didn't charge so much just for the seat top. Their price for just that is more than an entire throne from somebody else.

It is a pretty steep price to pay. Methinks I'll stick with my warpath for a Roc-N-Soc, though this Tama Roadpro throne is pretty comfortable for the price.

Les Ismore 02-20-2013 09:47 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Looks cool, wonder how firm it is.

You can nab just the top for $157


...........................

porter 02-22-2013 06:20 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
exactly what I was wondering, Les... they better have a pretty wide plate to keep it from bending out. Jai Es swears by his, but I really wonder what the difference between these and a 'regular' one is, having sat in a Nitro Roc-N-Soc for an extended period and finding it pretty dang good.

GRUNTERSDAD 02-22-2013 06:30 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
They sure are proud of it, that's for sure.

Les Ismore 07-09-2013 10:28 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Anyone get a CARMICHAEL yet?

I'll be at GUITAR CENTER next week, going to pick one up.

The reviews are stellar, and this design if it does what they're sayin' it does is nothing short of revolutionary.

Muckster 07-10-2013 12:47 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
That throne has my interest since i'm recovering from back surgery but there is just no way i'm going to shell out that much for a drum throne. I may experiment and make one of my own!

porter 07-10-2013 01:13 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Having had a Tama 1st Chair throne for a while now, I'm not sure I'll ever actually buy a Carmichael- I'd need to try one first now. The Tama is incredibly easy to sit in and feels very nice to me. Ahead has done what appears to be a copy of the Carmichael throne concept with their "Spinal G" series of thrones, and those are cheaper and probably available in more places... again, we'll see, but for now my Tama is really all I think I need.

Les Ismore 07-10-2013 03:24 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckster (Post 1159271)
That throne has my interest since i'm recovering from back surgery but there is just no way i'm going to shell out that much for a drum throne. I may experiment and make one of my own!


Dude, I hear ya.

Im coming off a pinched nerve in L5 and if this thing provides relief (the testimonials are great BTW) I'd gladly pay double.

What's the option, pay $150 for a ROC or GIBRALTAR that screws up your back??

porter 07-10-2013 11:39 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
For what it's worth, the Spinal-G thrones are at least $80 less.

Muckster 07-10-2013 04:53 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Ismore (Post 1159310)
Dude, I hear ya.

Im coming off a pinched nerve in L5 and if this thing provides relief (the testimonials are great BTW) I'd gladly pay double.

What's the option, pay $150 for a ROC or GIBRALTAR that screws up your back??

Yeah i hear what you're saying.......and i agree with you.

Les Ismore 07-11-2013 10:38 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by porter (Post 1159392)
For what it's worth, the Spinal-G thrones are at least $80 less.

SPINAL G is not quite the same as a CARMICHAEL, it has springs in the cushion(s) keeping you in motion, which (in my case anyway) provides little support. Also the gap is only .75" and collapses to les when you sit on it.

I'll have a review and detailed pics of the CARMICHAEL up in the next week or so.

porter 07-12-2013 12:04 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Ismore (Post 1159881)
SPINAL G is not quite the same as a CARMICHAEL, it has springs in the cushion(s) keeping you in motion, which (in my case anyway) provides little support. Also the gap is only .75" and collapses to les when you sit on it.

I'll have a review and detailed pics of the CARMICHAEL up in the next week or so.

Huh, I hadn't seen the springs. It did seem like the gap might be too small to fully work.

Les Ismore 07-12-2013 05:27 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by porter (Post 1159915)
Huh, I hadn't seen the springs. It did seem like the gap might be too small to fully work.

I'll post a pic of the springs in the SPINAL G.

The inventor of the SPINAL G is a chiropractor, the spring theory is supposed to simulate motion/walking, go figure why you'd want that on a drum throne.

Danny Carmichael is a drummer who had a back injury.

Les Ismore 07-17-2013 10:21 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Got a CARMICHAEL, did 1 gig with it so far. Serious, very serious... life changing.

My mind is still grappling with coming to terms of feeling no type of pain/discomfort after a gig, and its so blown away with amazement its not able to speak about how this thing affects my playing ability. The CARMICHAEL'S done what its ben trying to figure out all these years. My mind is humbled.

We'll start a new thread and do a review soon, want to get some more time/weight on the CARMICHAEL.

oddtime74 07-17-2013 11:36 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Looks like a nice area to rest my twig n berries, my bits n pieces, you know my wedding tackle, the meat n two veg lol!

Austin Powers video if you please, a thank you....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgZx8bzN5Sg

To stay on topic, while it may work in theory it doesn't look too comfy. I think that gap may get to feel a bit awkward over time. Not enough padding or support under the buttox.

Les Ismore 07-18-2013 08:03 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
...while it may work in theory it doesn't look too comfy. I think that gap may get to feel a bit awkward over time. Not enough padding or support under the buttox.

The gap floats your spine, which is a sitting experience that does not allow (greatly lessens) compression of your vertebrae and yields maximum balance.

There's correct support b/c you're supporting the weight of your frame and innards with your butt cheeks, not your tailbone/spine. Its an incredible experience really.

Mike Stand 10-02-2013 07:56 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Hi all,

Excuse me for bumping up a not so recent thread. It's justified though.

Has anyone used the Carmichael throne for other non-drumming purposes, as a chair/stool at home for example, at the dinner table or whatever else? Does it work?

I'm considering ordering one for myself but my wife actually has a far greater need for a "spine saver", unfortunately. So perhaps I should order two.

I know Carmichael produce proper office chairs based on the same concept but they're out of our price range, especially since I'm ordering from overseas. It would be cheaper to buy just the seat top and then add on a throne base and possibly a backrest.

What do you think?

Les Ismore 10-02-2013 09:12 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Stand (Post 1185390)
Hi all,

Excuse me for bumping up a not so recent thread. It's justified though.

Has anyone used the Carmichael throne for other non-drumming purposes, as a chair/stool at home for example, at the dinner table or whatever else? Does it work?

I'm considering ordering one for myself but my wife actually has a far greater need for a "spine saver", unfortunately. So perhaps I should order two.

I know Carmichael produce proper office chairs based on the same concept but they're out of our price range, especially since I'm ordering from overseas. It would be cheaper to buy just the seat top and then add on a throne base and possibly a backrest.

What do you think?



When you have a need and it pertains to your health price shouldn't keep you from relief, especially if the pricy stuff works.

If your wife sits for long periods and has back issues, drop the cash and get her a good CARMICHALE chair. The CARMICHALE stuff works, its a 'cry once' purchase. When there's positive physical relief the debt you went into doesn't have a negative effect, you can live with and conquer it. I say spend the money, even if you don't have it, relief is worth the price.

If you're thinking double duty wife/you drumming, yes a CARMICHALE throne with a back rest is a workable option, once she gets used to feeling good and that's the effect of floating spine seating, she's going to want her own seat though.

Up2Speed 10-09-2013 09:29 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
I purchased the Carmichael throne seat. I have Roc N Soc thrones with the backrest so I only had to get the seat itself. It is very well made and the claim of relieving pressure is true, it feels great. It is also great for balance, especially when playing double bass. But, I am very sorry to say that the seat is too firm for me. It makes my rear-end go numb if I play over 20 minutes. I am very disappointed. I want to be clear that I would recommend to anyone to try one out to see for yourself. I have used if for a month and a half. I tried my best to adapt to it but it's just not for me.

KarlCrafton 10-10-2013 01:23 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
I got the top while I was at work, and I thought it was great. My top is the 15" one.
I do Graphic Design, so I am at a computer a lot. It felt great for a "work chair", but would be better with a back rest for an all day thing, or puzzling out some issue that leaning back seems to aid in...

The office chair version would be awesome, but it's too expensive for me.

BacteriumFendYoke 10-10-2013 01:44 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Ah, at last... the famous CARMICHAEL throne...

Arky 10-16-2013 11:01 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
9 Attachment(s)
I received my CT-201-13BV hydraulic throne yesterday - here's some pics (so-so quality - lighting wasn't that good at the time I did the pics).

Assembly was super easy. Unpacking, unfolding the base legs, mounting the plate to the bottom side of the seat top (using the 4 bolts provided in the package), putting the seat on top of the base, fastening 2 handles at the plate, thus tightening the seat/plate to the top of the base - that's it! I used a multi size tool to fasten those bolts which I once bought for guitar applications.

Have been using it while working at the PC for a few hours now - feels great.
The hydraulic system works and feels great, too - the quality is evident. I went for the hydraulic version for more options and the extra charge is super low (some $13 I think).

The upholstering feels a bit stiff/hard but it works. I noticed that my back would get tired after a while but that wasn't at the kit but still at the PC where there is hardly any need to move/rotate etc. 13'' is perfect for me but I guess the bigger 15'' version would work fine, too. "Quality exists when the price is long forgotten" - Agreed, what was the price again?

Delivery was exactly 1 month - I went for the cheapest (out of 4) delivery option.

Les Ismore 10-18-2013 01:43 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Up2Speed (Post 1187824)
I purchased the Carmichael throne seat. I have Roc N Soc thrones with the backrest so I only had to get the seat itself. It is very well made and the claim of relieving pressure is true, it feels great. It is also great for balance, especially when playing double bass. But, I am very sorry to say that the seat is too firm for me. It makes my rear-end go numb if I play over 20 minutes. I am very disappointed. I want to be clear that I would recommend to anyone to try one out to see for yourself. I have used if for a month and a half. I tried my best to adapt to it but it's just not for me.

I've found you cannot wear tight pants with the CARMICHAEL b/c the the channel will cause a slight tightening effect on already tight fitting pants.

I prefer a firm seat when drumming, the last thing I want is a throne top that has give/compression which creates instability. The CARMICHAEL will eventually 'break in' and still provide support, not like other brands that compress and keep compressing till the foam is shot. My CARMICHAEL feels better every time I sit on it

Try the CARMICHAEL with some looser fitting pants, you might like it.

Mike Stand 10-19-2013 12:15 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Ismore (Post 1190316)
I prefer a firm seat when drumming, the last thing I want is a throne top that has give/compression which creates instability. The CARMICHAEL will eventually 'break in' and still provide support, not like other brands that compress and keep compressing till the foam is shot.

Fully agree with you there , Les.

Got my Carmichael seat top today. My first reaction: "Damn it's heavy. More weight added to my hardware case"

Then I picked up my Gibraltar seat top and had my moment of epiphany...
The Gibraltar felt cheap and way too light compared to the solid build of the Carmichael.
Yes, the Carmichael is a little firm but that's how it should be. Just like any good mattress or sofa, a good throne top needs to have enough material density to be able to support your weight. Especially since almost your entire weight rests upon a small area.

I've noticed that a Gibraltar throne base alone costs almost as much as the complete throne with seat top. In other words, their seat top isn't worth very much, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case with other brands.

I can also confirm that the Carmichael seat top fits perfectly onto the Gibraltar throne base (the spindle model).

The 13" seat top is a perfect fit for average height/weight drummers I think. I can sit almost right in the middle without losing any leg mobility.

I won't say anymore since I haven't had a chance to really "drum test" the throne yet but first impressions are good.

... just had a week off work and finally had some drumming time. Can't say that the Carmichael made me "feel years younger" or that I suddenly became a better drummer but I suppose the long term affects will be noticed later. In the short term, it's more about what I didn't feel. Previously, I always felt significant discomfort bordering on pain during/after playing. I did several 2 hour sessions last week, including full setup and breakdown of my kit. I'm pleased to say that I felt no serious strain on my back, a little fatigue perhaps at the end, but nothing that I would consider worrying;
For my feeling the Carmichael has just the right amount of space between the two "butt rests". There's enough space to create enough relief for the spine, but not so much as to make the seat feel awkward or anything. I remember something that I heard a long time ago, that apparently humans only started to have serious back problems once they started sitting on chairs. It's not natural apparently. Well, this throne feels kind of natural to me. 'nough said.

Mike Stand 11-11-2013 06:34 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Hi fellow Carmichael owners,

Do any of you carry your seat top in a drum bag by any chance?

I'm considering getting either a Stagg 12" drum bag , or a Protection Racket bag for 10" tom with rims. I reckon the latter might be big enough (10" tom + lugs + rims mount = 13" diameter?)

Does this sound like a good idea?

For those interested, I updated my previous post now that I finally got to use the Carmichael in action.

KarlCrafton 11-12-2013 05:43 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Mine is on the seat--actually, I can't get it off. It's on a Pearl base FWIW.

I haven't had to baby it (just careful), it's pretty thick material.

LOVE this thing! One of my best purchases of the year. If I had a rehearsal kit in another location, I'd get another one so I wouldn't have to lug it around though :-)

Mike Stand 11-12-2013 11:45 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlCrafton (Post 1197493)
Mine is on the seat--actually, I can't get it off. It's on a Pearl base FWIW.

I don't get it. Do you mean that you can't detach your Carmichael seat top from the throne base because the two are somehow permanently attached to each other?

KarlCrafton 11-13-2013 02:18 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Yeah. It's on there so tight I can't get it apart. I haven't tried a hammer yet, but I'm not going to either haha!

I always left the seat together, and transported it that way separately anyway.

aparker2005 12-14-2013 04:15 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
I currently have a Tama Ergo Rider hydraulic throne. Will the Carmichael hydraulic top fit on the Tama hydraulic base? Thanks!

KarlCrafton 12-16-2013 03:19 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
If the Tama has a 7/8" post, it should fit.

RcKDrUmm3R 04-18-2014 07:54 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
I purchased the carmichael drum throne hoping to have it help or relieve my mid back pain. I'm sorry to say that I've been playing on this for a couple months now and I don't notice or feel any sort of relief. For me personally, I don't feel the price was worth it.

Arky 04-18-2014 08:04 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RcKDrUmm3R (Post 1251927)
I purchased the carmichael drum throne hoping to have it help or relieve my mid back pain. I'm sorry to say that I've been playing on this for a couple months now and I don't notice or feel any sort of relief. For me personally, I don't feel the price was worth it.

You're repeating yourself. You just posted in another thread...

1) Did you see a doctor? If so, what's actually causing your back pain?
2) The Carmichael is easily among the best thrones out there. What if it's not the throne but something else? See 1) - address your problems _physically_ - provided this is possible, instead of blaming the throne.

If it can be helped physically - I'd suggest strengthening your core muscles. And maybe checking your posture. And keep the Carmichael for some more time as it might not be the culprit.

Muckster 05-14-2014 07:30 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
I just pulled the trigger on one. I had back surgery last year (herniated disc at L4/L5).
I'm just now getting back to lengthy sessions behind the kit and decided i should try one.

I'll provide a review when it arrives.

Les Ismore 05-15-2014 06:04 AM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckster (Post 1259265)
I just pulled the trigger on one. I had back surgery last year (herniated disc at L4/L5).
I'm just now getting back to lengthy sessions behind the kit and decided i should try one.

I'll provide a review when it arrives.



You should love it. Got mine due to a back injury, this top has actually improved my posture, I never come of the kit with my back sore like my old throne tops.

The best piece of gear I own, irreplaceable.

longgun 05-15-2014 05:53 PM

Re: Carmichael CT-200 drum throne anyone?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Stand (Post 1185390)
Hi all,

Excuse me for bumping up a not so recent thread. It's justified though.

Has anyone used the Carmichael throne for other non-drumming purposes, as a chair/stool at home for example, at the dinner table or whatever else? Does it work?

I'm considering ordering one for myself but my wife actually has a far greater need for a "spine saver", unfortunately. So perhaps I should order two.

I know Carmichael produce proper office chairs based on the same concept but they're out of our price range, especially since I'm ordering from overseas. It would be cheaper to buy just the seat top and then add on a throne base and possibly a backrest.

What do you think?


My employer just bought me a Carmichael CT-580 Mesh back Executive Chair..................had it for about a week now and it feels pretty good.....................a little firm, but my back does feel better.

It will probably be a few months before I can give an honest, thorough evaluation.

This is the model:

https://backpainchairdirect.com/Offi...ailbone%20pain


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com