DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Thomas Pridgen (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926)

beatz 07-28-2005 04:23 AM

Thomas Pridgen

When I was browsing the gospel chops site I came across a drummer named Thomas Pridgen who's playing is absolutely incredible. He won Guitar Center's drum off when he was nine and became the youngest drummer to be endorsed by Zildjian at twelve. He was accepted to Berklee at age fifteen. This guy is really good, just thought you guys should know about him.(He's not on the drummerworld site).

Bonham to the moon 07-28-2005 04:33 AM

Re: New Drummer: Anyone heard of him?!?

man i hate prodigies. . . . . . .

beatz 07-28-2005 04:35 AM

I know, as soon as I read that he won the Guitar Center drumoff at nine, I had to go and practice so I wouldn't feel like a complete failure!!

stagecustom 07-28-2005 05:05 AM

you know what is funny man, i checked out that website and saw him on there, and i swear man i was just about to post a thread about him, you just post another one on eric more he won guitar center drum off in 2003, but yeah thomas is crazy, a little goofy, but damn good

BigFreeze 07-28-2005 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stagecustom
i checked out that website

Whats the name of his website?

beatz 07-28-2005 10:27 PM

Hey, I think site stagecustom is referring to is www.gospelchops.com

Superlow 07-28-2005 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
man i hate prodigies. . . . . . .

Tony Williams was a child prodigy. He was playing clubs by the time he was ten. Also Buddy Rich was a child prodigy, do you hate him? I enjoy seeing prodigies personally. It makes things interesting. Some people are just lucky enough to discover what they were meant to do at an early age. I only wish I started younger.

Bonham to the moon 07-29-2005 01:12 AM

i meant it as a joke. . . .chill out. Its discouraging to hear that nine year has won the nationwide drumoff though. But good for him, though i havent heard much of recent child prodigies, just like actors, if you bring em to early they usually spiral downward pretty fast.

Rudy McRudster 07-29-2005 01:50 AM

I watched his video on Gospel Chops and the kid's pretty talented. He really doesn't seem like the average "child prodigy" that you see whose parents exploit them and parade them around. He seems like a nice and genuinely talented guy and if he keeps his attitude, he'll go far.

LDGuy 07-29-2005 02:07 AM

Wow. Pretty neat. He's very good.

I saw some cool Blush-da's there and the patented Steve Holmes Bla-Blush-da there too (if you dont know what i'm talking about check out www.houseofdrumming.com ).

drumzalicious 07-29-2005 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDGuy
Wow. Pretty neat. He's very good.

I saw some cool Blush-da's there and the patented Steve Holmes Bla-Blush-da there too (if you dont know what i'm talking about check out www.houseofdrumming.com ).

yeah i went off and learned that after i saw him do it.

Freddie Freeloader 10-13-2005 02:36 AM

Re: Thomas Pridgen

hey guys, i'm sorry to resurrect this somewhat ancient topic, but i just thought you must see what thomas has been upto lately...

http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/p...6&cat=0&page=1

now thats what i'm talking about. this guy is unbelievable.

Freddie Freeloader 03-21-2006 04:22 AM

new stuff with thomas pridgen on it....
http://www.myspace.com/christianscottmusic
wait for the player to load, all tracks feature thomas on drums.

nathaniel_t 04-03-2006 03:14 PM

http://www.myspace.com/burnerbeats

Thomas Pridgen's My Space..
what a great drummer...

Dill X 01-26-2007 01:51 AM

Thomas Pridgen (new Mars Volta drummer)

Once again, The Mars Volta has a new drummer.

After the loss of Jon Theodore, the unethusiastic joining of Blake Flemming, and the brief appearance of Deatoni Parks, The Mars Volta has added their newest member.

Thomas Pridgen, a really talented young Berklee drummer has officially joined for the upcoming dates. With a heavy gospel and R&B influence, he seems to mesh with the band well so far from the few dates he has already played with TMV.

In my personal opinion after hearing his stuff before TMV, I really think he'll work well with the band. Hopefully he will stay for longer than a year...

Check him and some sounds and videos on his MySpace page.

bermuda 01-26-2007 02:01 AM

Re: Thomas Pridgen (new Mars Volta drummer)

I met Thomas at NAMM maybe 8 or 10 years ago - he was really young - and he was a great kid and a talented player. His mom was taking him around, and they were both really nice. I knew he'd be destined for great things, not just another child prodigy headed for the "cute then, but where are they now?" file.

Bermuda

jonescrusher 01-26-2007 02:30 AM

Re: Thomas Pridgen (new Mars Volta drummer)

as seen on www.gospelchops.com.....

Njdrumma 02-03-2007 08:21 PM

THE MARS VOLTA'S NEW DRUMMER

HEY TMV'S got a new drummer Thomas Pridgen. I don t know much about him any one got any info?? im excited.

cicatrizoo 03-20-2007 09:36 AM

http://www.frontiertouring.com.au/up...1174137239.jpg

Thomas just recently made his official debut with The Mars Volta overseas and the first live bootleg is exhilarating! He's a terror! All drum scholars take note: check this guy's page for a megaupload link: http://myspace.com/auslive You wont be sorry.

meandhimcallitus 03-20-2007 10:11 PM

Thanks for the link!

caprisun3484 03-20-2007 11:18 PM

check him out on Christian Scott's album Rewind That

really good playing their and it is a great album

alan_pfeifer 04-21-2007 05:56 AM

Thomas is quite the amazing player.

I've got a few videos of him with Volta, they're quite high quality if you want to see them Let me know.

drum99 08-21-2007 09:22 AM

I went to high school with Thomas my senior year, which was his sophomore year, and we were in jazz band together that year. Looking back, it was amazing to watch him play every day, talk shop, and I learned a lot from him. It's nice to see his new success, and I hope he blows everyone away on the new TMV album, cuz I know he can! Thomas, what's up with some tickets!

Jack Slade 11-21-2007 02:57 AM

I cannot wait until the new album comes out from TMV. I have also only heard one song they performed with Thomas Pridgen. He didn't really stand out much to me, but i've seen other solo videos of him, and they were sweet!

jastjohn 12-27-2007 07:11 AM

I remember Pridgen from the gospelchops videos I downloaded a while back, and from Christian Scott. If you told me then he'd be playing with TMV I'd laugh. Now I've heard... it's actually a damn good fit!

pearl_floyd 02-06-2008 11:51 PM

Pridgen absolutly kills on the new TMV record, he fits in perfectly with whole band.

caprisun3484 02-07-2008 01:49 AM

yeah i agree he is so amazing on that record

Cypriss 02-08-2008 01:27 AM

Anyone know his cymbal set up i know he plays Zildjian. probably A customs. But from the look of the one's when TMV played on letterman almost looked like prototype's/custom made one's the china he was using sounded amazing.

Das_Ist_Drums 02-10-2008 09:29 PM

Thomas Pridgen

I recently bought the latest Mars Volta album and Thomas Pridgen has some sick drumming in it. I definately think that he should be added to the web sight. Here's the url of the Mars Volta playing there new song, Wax Simulacra, on the Letterman show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH11YFqMoB0

samzeppelin 02-21-2008 10:17 PM

Saw them (TMV) yesterday here in Sweden, and Thomas is really kickass behind the set, best drummer ive seen live probably. Great show btw, Cedric threw out one of Thomas crashes to the adiuence DW stand and all, but I didnt get in the mosh pit of "grabbers" would been nice with a free A custom crash 16/17? thou =).

ccdrummin 03-14-2008 05:01 AM

yeah i went to the january 30 show and met him hes hella nice
and ofcourse hes ma favorite drummer...hella sick gospel chops man

Njdrumma 04-12-2008 04:05 AM

thomas pridgen will be playing at modern drum fest!!!!!!and he will be HELLA!!!!! AMAZINg

GRUNTERSDAD 04-12-2008 04:31 AM

I read an article about him in oen of my drumming mags, and he and his grandmother had to lie about his age, of three, to get him some lessons. I was just learning to run.

Njdrumma 04-12-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 429094)
I read an article about him in oen of my drumming mags, and he and his grandmother had to lie about his age, of three, to get him some lessons. I was just learning to run.

Do u know who he got lessons from?

Njdrumma 04-14-2008 02:30 PM

just to let you all know Thomas told me that he smashed his DW Acrylic Kit. But he will be getting a new kit

Vicarious 06-27-2008 05:58 AM

I saw him play with The Mars Volta last night and words cannot describe how insane he is! The performance was perhaps the single most amazing thing I've ever seen, and extremely exhilarating. His kit sounded so nice too, those floor toms and bass drum were among the deepest I've ever heard.

He was playing the usual DW Acrylic kit, I don't know if it was the same kit, or a new one.

Simon 07-20-2008 10:44 AM

Hi Guys,

since I've watched Thomas' videos on Drummerworld, i'm a fan. You must watch the Drumbattle between Thomas and Tony Royster Jr. on Youtube. I like Thomas' style much more. Check it out.

In the Video "Thomas Pridgen demonstrates a great Gospel Fill" Thomas names a book in the beginning. But I can't undestand the title.
Can someone name me the title of the book?

Thanks,

Simon

cyclepilot2 07-20-2008 06:34 PM

i believe he's just referring to the following fill as being played out ,so he's citing random penal code and infraction numbers for the "offense"
of people still using it

drum.lad 09-04-2008 07:33 PM

i love this guy hes incredible and such a deserving guy aswell not some cocky dude.also that tv performance of wax simulacra was amazing

m1ck 09-05-2008 06:35 AM

I've been checking this guy out since I read the interview in the latest Modern Drummer magazine. He is phenomenal and makes it all look SO easy. He looks like a kid in a candy store at the drums - he's having so much fun.

Only 24 years old!