DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Picking up a new instrument? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87025)

SergiuM 02-06-2012 11:07 PM

Picking up a new instrument?

I've been really itching to pick up and learn to play the mandolin.. But i feel guilty. I feel as if I would be cheating on my drums by picking up another instrument! Has anyone else ever felt this way?!?!

Stalwart_Pandora-Chris 02-07-2012 12:55 AM

Re: Picking up a new instrument?

I taught myself how to play guitar, and I associate guitar with drums. It's pretty simple, and I basically worked out jazz chords by accident which is awesome and I make really obscure prog riffs that way.

Drums will always be my number one though! Get loads of rhythmic ideas on guitar from drums.

iontheable 02-07-2012 01:09 AM

Playing a more rhythm based instrument will never hinder your drum playing!

..unless you never drummed again!

Most guitarist that I know who have playing some drums in the past are often better(I find) than those that don't..teaches them to move the percussive aspects while formulating a melody.

Anything to do with music, albeit mandolin, recorder, stomping your feet..its all your 'training' so to speak.

Cheat away, I say.

lifetime 02-07-2012 02:19 AM

Feel guilty? I don't think Prince feels guilty.

toddy 02-07-2012 08:43 AM

...the drums are an inanimate object with no emotions, they won't mind if you play another instrument
i play vocals bass piano drums and am currently learning the cello and saxophone (badly)

ChaosDecides 02-07-2012 09:08 AM

Play guitar currently, will add a bass guitar sometime down the road.

tracer 02-07-2012 05:51 PM

I recently investigated mandolin,as my oldest son is a guitar instructor and performer in Seattle. Evidently,mandolin is less of a "strumming" instrument and more for "picking" melodies and progressions of single notes,probably increasing the difficulty somewhat. That said,if you like mandolin,might look at these guys...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IT-x...eature=related

eddiehimself 02-07-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergiuM (Post 955707)
I've been really itching to pick up and learn to play the mandolin.. But i feel guilty. I feel as if I would be cheating on my drums by picking up another instrument! Has anyone else ever felt this way?!?!

Loads of people. I personally think variety is the spice of life and that anyone who plays in a band should have at least a basic knowledge of another instrument apart from their main one. I say go for it, your drums will forgive you, I'm sure ;)

I personally play the bass, guitar, drums, vocals and a very small amount of keyboards (I can play the Donnie Darko version of MadWorld and Numb by Linkin Park and that's about it lol). I like to think I divide my time equally with all of them but I would say my best instrument is probably the bass (that doesn't mean I'm good though! :p )

paistemage 02-08-2012 12:15 AM

I picked up alto and tenor saxophone after 20 years of playing.
It adds to your knowledge of music.

Drums are my first instrument.

I feel it helps me relate to the non skin bashers

SergiuM 02-08-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddiehimself (Post 956109)
I personally think variety is the spice of life and that anyone who plays in a band should have at least a basic knowledge of another instrument apart from their main one.

I totally agree with that. I'm gonna go for it, it will open my eyes to different aspects of music!