DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jurgen "Ventor" Reil (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8603)

tambian89 02-28-2006 10:47 PM

Jurgen "Ventor" Reil

Drummer from Kreator. "Enemy of God" has some of the best thrash metal drumming I have heard in years.

- Marc

Blastbeatz 03-07-2006 02:55 AM

Re: Jurgen "Ventor" Reil

Jürgen for sure is a great drummer, but it' s no surprise, that most people do not know him.
Most great metal drummers aren' t very famous, because they don' t want to play cheap crap, just to appear on MTV.

tambian89 03-07-2006 03:13 AM

Spoken like a true G, my good friend. If you look at my signature, you'll realize why I posted this. Have you listened to "Enemy of God"?

- Marc

Blastbeatz 03-07-2006 05:48 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to add some official pics and infos

Jürgen Reil - drums Name: Jürgen "Ventor" Reil

Date of birth: 29.06.1966

Equipment : Alles worauf ich schlagen kann.....

Star singn : Cancer

Favourite Kreator song : Replicas of life

Favourite bands : Rush, Judas Priest ( mit Halford )

Favourite musician : Neil Peart
Least favourite music : Techno

Favourite food: Anything that I cook myself

Favourite movie : Matrix

Favourite book : Clive Barker: First book of blood

Hobbys : my family

Best concert: Rush , Irvine Meadows CA 1990

Best concert( played ) : Graspop 2002

Favourite country : Australia

Things you hate : waiting and long flights

Favourite alcoholic drink : Wodka - Red Bull

Favourite non alcoholic drink: tropical fruit juice

Final words: when I die.....

ventor 03-23-2006 10:04 AM

yes, he is definetely a god and my personal favorite. The cool thing is that he still plays quite a simple thrash style that fits perfectly to the raw and heavy kreator - sound.
I have seen the guy live on the enemy of god tour, and believe me, that was intense. Songs like Terrible Certainty, Terrorzone, Reconquering the Throne or the oldschool Tormentor, thats thrash metal perfection.

tambian89 03-24-2006 04:35 AM

I actually had the oppurtunity to meet Jurgen at the concert I went to (check my sig). He's a nice guy and so is the rest of the band; all of them are very down-to-earth. I asked him about a few techniques on double bassing (Enemy of God has crazy double bassing). He basically practices endurance at a slow pace, and then speeds it up gradually; he can go somewhere in the range of 230 - 240 bpm. He's also really tall (probably around 6'4" or 6'5"), so he said he can reach the toms very easily.

- Marc

tambian89 03-27-2006 10:54 PM

I thought Mille was pretty nice guy. On stage, though, he is a maniac, and a great guitarist and vocalist to boot.

- Marc

ventor 03-28-2006 06:52 AM

Damn right, there arenīt many vocalists who manage both duties, playing guitar and singing perfectly (James Hetfield does NOT hahaha), but also the old songs Ventor sings on are performed perfectly live, ever tried that, drumming and singing at the same time?
Itīs difficult, I tell you!

tambian89 03-29-2006 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ventor
Damn right, there arenīt many vocalists who manage both duties, playing guitar and singing perfectly (James Hetfield does NOT hahaha), but also the old songs Ventor sings on are performed perfectly live, ever tried that, drumming and singing at the same time?
Itīs difficult, I tell you!

It is difficult, as I myself do it. I do backing vocals in my band; most difficult for me is when we have to sing; my band frequently plays Alice in Chains......it's very hard, not only managing Sean Kinney's drumming duties, but managing Jerry Cantrell's backing Vocals!!!!

- Marc

ventor 03-29-2006 06:52 AM

You´ve got a point here, I guess it MUST be difficult. What´s the name of your band, and is there any listenable stuff on the internet??
Edit: found a cool pic here:
http://www.bilderrausch.net/schelpme...tor_ventor.jpg

tambian89 06-10-2006 09:24 PM

Here's Jurgen's double bassing technique; it is very similar to mine when performing at this sort of speed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-C_EeE3TaJs&search=Kreator

- Marc

hardspot 11-28-2006 02:16 PM

I sing and drum in an (extreme) thrash metal band (similarity: Slayer, sepultura), you just have to get used to it, like playing 2 over 3 or whatever, it's just singing over drumming.
Wow, I'm off-topic, I realy like Ventors drumming on Enemy of God and (that 1990 album I just forgot) However the whole band is way to loose on Pleasure to kill IMO.

Edit: Coma of Souls!

sic_vic 12-17-2006 11:06 PM

Jurgen is a really really good drummer, but i do not agree with the "playing guitar and singing perfectly (James Hetfield does NOT hahaha)"......I think James's voice is just perfect 4 metallica....

II xMETALx II 06-11-2007 04:06 PM

Great Drummer awesome player

Enemy of God is an excellent metal record. Impossible Brutality has some great drumming in it. Pleasure to Kill is also insane, im a huge Kreator fan

LINK. Thats him playing live and singing, takes talent specially when ur playing that style.

metal overlord 01-13-2009 03:10 AM

I love Jurgen. I love Kreator, it's all great stuff.

kwolf68 01-30-2009 08:33 PM

Hail the mighty Kreator. Though I am pushing the big 40...I plan to see them with Exodus at Jaxx in Springfield, Va. in May. No moshing for me anymore, but I want to see if these two bands (two of the best live bands Ive ever seen) can still get it done.

Ventor rules...funny he sang on some of Kreator's really early work before Mille took over full time vox.

My favorite Kreator discs are Terrible Certainty and Extreme Aggression, but Violent Revolution may well be their crowning acheivement. I think that album is just brilliant in every concieveable way. To have an album that good post-2000 is saying something for a band who did so much classic stuff in the 80s.

metal overlord 01-30-2009 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwolf68 (Post 534989)
Hail the mighty Kreator. Though I am pushing the big 40...I plan to see them with Exodus at Jaxx in Springfield, Va. in May. No moshing for me anymore, but I want to see if these two bands (two of the best live bands Ive ever seen) can still get it done.

Ventor rules...funny he sang on some of Kreator's really early work before Mille took over full time vox.

My favorite Kreator discs are Terrible Certainty and Extreme Aggression, but Violent Revolution may well be their crowning acheivement. I think that album is just brilliant in every concieveable way. To have an album that good post-2000 is saying something for a band who did so much classic stuff in the 80s.

I'm seeing them too! With Exodus, Warbringer, Belphegor and Epicean

kwolf68 02-02-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metal overlord (Post 535048)
I'm seeing them too! With Exodus, Warbringer, Belphegor and Epicean

Those other bands are on the same bill, but I quit reading after I saw Exodus and Kreator. :-)

metal overlord 02-02-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwolf68 (Post 536053)
Those other bands are on the same bill, but I quit reading after I saw Exodus and Kreator. :-)

Yeah lol. But Warbinger is really good, Belphegor is a death metal band and dunno bout the other one.

I blew out my speakers listening to Enemy of God. lol.

kwolf68 02-03-2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metal overlord (Post 536077)
Yeah lol. But Warbinger is really good, Belphegor is a death metal band and dunno bout the other one.

I blew out my speakers listening to Enemy of God. lol.

Haha...yea, I looked up Warbringer on my music service and they really sound old school thrash, which is to say MY CUP 'O tea. It'll be good to check out their gig.

Death metal I take on a 'case by case' basis. I hate some of it, but then I really dig some of it. Obituary is my favorite death metal band, but overall I only listen to DM in small doses.

While I am totally cool with Exodus playing their new stuff, I really would like to hear about 15 specific songs. lol...basically the entire album "Bonded By Blood" (if they want to drop No Love I am ok with it, but the rest should remain)...many choice cuts off their next two albums. They got stale after that, but some of their later stuff has kicked it back up and I like a lot (War is My Shepherd will have to be in there).

Kreator can do whatever, just leave the gothy and industrial stuff from the mid to late 1990s out the mix. Anything from Coma of Souls on back older and anything from Violent Revolution (raging fooking record), Enemy of God and Hordes of Chaos ... been listening to HOC a lot lately to try to get a feel for it. Like it as much as EOG, but not VR. I just am obsessed with Violent Revolution, one bitchin' cd in my eyes.

Derek Roddy 02-04-2009 06:27 PM

Big influence to me as well. Esp...the early stuff.

D.