DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What sports do You play? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85772)

toddy 01-10-2012 07:57 AM

What sports do You play?

I was always interested in what the DW dudes (and dudettes) do to relax
I play tennis/squash, a bit of football (soccer) and used to play rugby when i was younger

Pollyanna 01-10-2012 09:48 AM

Re: What sports do You play?

Tennis and bushwalking.

Arky 01-10-2012 10:50 AM

Except from drumming (which is a sports to some degree IMO) I'm doing running (with idle periods) and weight training (even more idle periods). The runs are typically 4-10 km, I'm in the process of building a minimum basis. I would extend the distance. 1-2 years ago I did some training semi-marathons in under 2 hrs. That's out of my reach ATM but I might get back there this year. My maximum distance ever run was 27 km. (I was doing athletics in my youth for several years, with a focus on distances like 800m and 1.000m).

As to weight training: I'm doing this at home, it's not a "heavy duty" training but with moderate weights. But not too often. Both weight training and running can interfere with practicing drums (as in my case, doing a lot of double bass) so I have to control the strain on my ankles/tendons.

iamjohn 01-10-2012 02:08 PM

Triathlon. Next one is in June.

nhzoso 01-10-2012 05:22 PM

Golf, Bowling (10pin), Motorcycle riding, hiking and want to try climbing this year.

dwdrummerky 01-10-2012 05:37 PM

Basketball. I have a hoop in my driveway.

I also hit Urban Active Gym about 4 days a week for cardio and weights.

jofizzm 01-10-2012 06:30 PM

Not so much of a sport, but I play me the Hell out of some disc golf.

Munchdrum 01-10-2012 06:33 PM

Rugby and rock climbing/mountaineering

swiNg 01-10-2012 07:46 PM

squash & indoor climbing

chaymus 01-10-2012 08:23 PM

baseball/softball & disc golf.

blastbeatkeeper 01-10-2012 08:51 PM

Does Modern Warfare 3 on Playstation 3 count? All jokes aside, 10 pin bowling, hockey, baseball and flag footbal league.

Florian 01-10-2012 10:12 PM

referee in the AHL

F

marko138 01-10-2012 10:22 PM

I'm just about completely inactive now a days! I wrestled in high school...which was 12 years ago at this point.

I golf occasionally, but that's hardly a sport. I walk the dog and we'll occasionally make that walk a jog.

GRUNTERSDAD 01-10-2012 11:35 PM

I used to compete in Soccer, Track and Field, Swimming and Diving. I have coached and refereed, Swimming, Soccer, Track and Field, Basketball, and baseball. All of this because I have a teaching degree in Physical Education. The only thing I run now is the vacuum cleaner.

Pocket-full-of-gold 01-10-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 940655)
I golf occasionally, but that's hardly a sport.

It is the way I play. I can easily walk three times the length of the course when all is said and done. My kingdom for a consistent straight shot!! :-)

DrumDoug 01-11-2012 12:19 AM

The first and only time I went skiing 20 years ago, I tore my knee up so badly that I have had trouble walking ever since. I can walk the dog but that's about it. Even then I have to really watch where I step. I have to stop and turn my body to change direction. I can't twist and change direction at all. I have fallen down in the grocery store just reaching for the peas! I try to get on an excercise bike, but between being busy and lazy it doesn't happen often.

Thaard 01-11-2012 12:27 AM

Lifting weights and general exercise at the local gym 3 times a week. I just feel a heck of a lot better after training hard.

mediocrefunkybeat 01-11-2012 12:58 AM

The sport of Kings.

Rugby Union.

LinearDrummer 01-11-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat (Post 940744)
The sport of Kings.

Rugby Union.

Much respect to those who play it - tho I can't understand for the life of me what the heck the rules are/strategy is.

Weight training here...

toddy 01-11-2012 01:59 AM

yeah i used to play rugby union at under 13 i was pretty good, did my shoulder in during a scrum though and decided it wasn't worth playing anymore haha
screw league!

i'm not surprised by how many people here lift weights, i totally agree with how it makes you feel! right now i'm on a massive new years cut after bulking, i enjoy it way too much!

marko138 01-11-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 940700)
It is the way I play. I can easily walk three times the length of the course when all is said and done. My kingdom for a consistent straight shot!! :-)

I ride in a cart with a cooler full of beer!

nhzoso 01-11-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 940700)

I can walk a few courses around here and still do but there are a few that have very steep hills and my plantar Fascitis does not handle it that well anymore. not many people over 40 do walk those courses.

THC 01-11-2012 04:06 AM

My knees are pretty much shot these days. My Chiropractor keeps telling me she's surprised I haven't had to have replacement surgery yet on both knees, so any sports I play needs to be fairly low impact on my knees.

I like to motorcycle, bike ride, and play golf. When the knees are up for it, I love to go hiking in the mountains.

mediocrefunkybeat 01-11-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LinearDrummer (Post 940756)
Much respect to those who play it - tho I can't understand for the life of me what the heck the rules are/strategy is.

Weight training here...

I've been playing it on and off since I was about five. I'm a forward so knowing the rules isn't entirely necessary - I just tend to run into the biggest bloke on the pitch that isn't me (it usually is me) so far I've only been sent off a few times...

The Gedge 01-12-2012 04:32 PM

I've been doing Karate for some time now and I'm almost black belt; I'll definitely have it before I leave school in another couple of years.

frozenhenkka 01-12-2012 07:18 PM

Volleyball, badminton, floorball and working out at gym. I've been playing volleyball now for about 12 years. It's not a long time ago since I started to play badminton, but in my humble opinion volleyball isn't that different compared to badminton because both sports require the same skills.

Red Menace 01-12-2012 11:42 PM

I can lift the hell out of some 12-ouncers.

Seriously though I work out at my crappy apartment gym although I have been slacking this week and need to get back in there. I have found that my back pain goes away when I strengthen my core.

JDiogoR 01-14-2012 12:08 AM

At the moment I don't play any sports, but I love to watch soccer (football here in Portugal!) :D
My team is SC Braga, last year's Europa League finalist ;)

brady 01-14-2012 06:48 AM

Cycling. Mostly endurance events. Marathon mountain bike events and 100+ mile road races on gravel roads, called gravel grinders. They have become quite popular in the rural midwest US.

Pollyanna 01-14-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brady (Post 942467)
Cycling. Mostly endurance events. Marathon mountain bike events and 100+ mile road races on gravel roads, called gravel grinders. They have become quite popular in the rural midwest US.

There's a blast from the past. Been a while, Brady!

eddiehimself 01-14-2012 02:09 PM

I don't really do sports. I do go to the gym occasionaly though. I really need to get back to the gym; not been in about a month and have gained over 5 kilos lol.

HoM3R 01-14-2012 03:21 PM

Used to play hockey (the ball kind) and picked up drumming right after I quit.
Then I started going to the gym because I actually thought that drumming was like working out and you needed to be ripped to be a good drummer and old jazz drummers were just freaks of nature. When my teacher told me it was all tech I was already hooked and learned that going to the gym makes you feel alot better overall.

Big Foot 01-14-2012 05:20 PM

I do a lot of Cycling.
Here's a blog I share w/some friends - I'm Sluggo btw.

http://charliebucketcycles.com/

wildbil 01-22-2012 02:24 AM

Scuba diving the great lakes

Ian Williams 01-22-2012 02:44 AM

Ping Pong...table tennis in nowadays!

tkav1980 01-22-2012 02:54 AM

Competitive Bodybuilding... Going for Pro card this year.

brady 01-22-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollyanna (Post 942472)
There's a blast from the past. Been a while, Brady!

Aww...it's nice to be missed.

Been busy training for said cycling events...

toddy 01-22-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkav1980 (Post 947088)
Competitive Bodybuilding... Going for Pro card this year.

Nice! what bodyfat/weight are you at?

tkav1980 01-23-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddy (Post 947411)
Nice! what bodyfat/weight are you at?

Right now , I need to add another 12-15 lbs of muscle, but I never let myself get fat in the off season, so im right about 5'7" 243 lbs and in the 10-12% Bf range. I'd like to be a solid 235-240 stage weight this year, then take a year or 2 off from competeing and get up with the bigboys over that 250 mark.

Xero Talent 01-24-2012 02:46 AM

I teach Brazilian Jiujitsu. That keeps me busy when I'm not banging on the skins :)