DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in vintage natural finish (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84251)

JClutchD 12-07-2011 02:59 AM

My new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in vintage natural finish **VIDEO**

17 Attachment(s)
I picked up my first quality kit yesterday and I couldn't be happyer. I still can't believe it! I've been playing my Yamaha DP series since I started playing, so this is quite the upgrade.

I fell in love with these the minute I saw them on eBay. I was looking for a maple kit with big sizes and have heard/read nothing but good things about Yamaha so it was a no-brainer. The vintage natural finish really topped things off nicely, too. Can't wait to see them once the shells settle to their golden-brown color. I wish it would've came with a white resonant head but it's not that big of a deal. I'm going to change it to a white one this weekend.

I bought them from The Drum Shop in Portland, ME and had the pleasure of dealing with the owner himself (incredibly nice guy). I was kind of worried about the cost of customs but it wasn't all that bad. Definitely worth it considering that I would've paid about double or triple for these where I live.

Sizes:
- 24x18
- 13x9
- 16x16
- 18x16

Snares:
- '65 Ludwig LM400
- Gretsch 14x6.5 Full Range with wood/metal hoops

Cymbals: All Sabian
- 14" Vault Artisan hats
- 18" AAXplosion Fast Crash
- 20" HHX Evolution ride
- 19" AAX Dark crash

Hardware:
DW9000 double kick and 2-leg hi-hat stand
Yamaha single-braced stands

Next purchases will be a LM402 or a matching MCA 14x7 snare to go along with the kit. I'm going to get matching DW9000 cymbal stands and possibly a snare stand for the rack tom. I've also decided that I'm going to sell my double kick and get a single 9000 instead. I don't use the left slave pedal at all anymore... I'm looking at buying a 21" HHX Groove ride too.

I took the pictures with my Blackberry so they're not the best. I played around with the lighting a bit but it didn't help all that much.

Anyways, without further adieu:

scorch whammin 12-07-2011 03:19 AM

Re: My new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in vintage natural finish

Congrats on your purchase..That's a very nice kit!...I think you'll really like the vintage natural finish...I have several snares with this finish and definitely darkens over time to nice golden brown finish..

IDDrummer 12-07-2011 03:47 AM

Beautiful kit, and great sizes too. Enjoy!!

JClutchD 12-07-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorch whammin (Post 923681)
Congrats on your purchase..That's a very nice kit!...I think you'll really like the vintage natural finish...I have several snares with this finish and definitely darkens over time to nice golden brown finish..

I think I'm going to like it too! I've seen a few pictures of the finish once it settles and it's absolutely gorgeous. Really classy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDDrummer (Post 923686)
Beautiful kit, and great sizes too. Enjoy!!

Thank you. I will! :)

Artstar 12-11-2011 09:32 PM

J Clutch. Those are exquisite as almost all Yamaha mid to high level are. Everything Yamaha about them down to the last bracket.

Look at this... these guys are trying to compare the eames assembled stuff ( although with their quality shells ), with what Yamaha offers. and look at their kits i posted 2nd below.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=84248

http://www.eamesdrumshells.com/Drumsetgallery.html

larryz 12-12-2011 05:55 PM

Very very nice. Those must sound as incredible as they look. Classy. Congrats and have fun. Put up some sound clips whenever.

2bsticks 12-12-2011 06:08 PM

Great looking kit, have fun with them.

areFish 12-12-2011 06:22 PM

Congratulations on the purchase of a stellar kit!

Tyger 12-12-2011 07:02 PM

great kit indeed, the more I see it the more I dig it, really love that natural finish too. Also great selection of cymbals to compliment the kit. I'd love to hear it if possible some time.

Big_Al47 12-12-2011 08:07 PM

Congrats! Those look great and I bet they sound fantastic.

harryconway 12-12-2011 09:00 PM

Beautiful kit. My Yamaha Recording Customs have the same (I think) natural finish, although, 30 years old ... they're a little darker, now. I'll never give them up.

JClutchD 12-13-2011 02:43 AM

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I'll try and get a recording up as soon as possible.

nhzoso 12-13-2011 02:55 AM

Very Nice Congrats, I saw these a few weeks back ona trip I made to Portland as well. They are beautiful. How much did you pay if yoou don't mind?

JClutchD 12-13-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhzoso (Post 926278)
Very Nice Congrats, I saw these a few weeks back ona trip I made to Portland as well. They are beautiful. How much did you pay if yoou don't mind?

Nice! I was like a kid in a candy store at that drum shop, it was amazing. And I paid $2600 CDN + $156 for customs.

fixxxer 12-13-2011 10:16 PM

Beautiful kit! Very classy! Enjoy!

JClutchD 12-21-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer (Post 926643)
Beautiful kit! Very classy! Enjoy!

Thank you!

My coated heads and white reso finally came in so I'll be putting some new pictures up (with a good camera this time) in the coming week and maybe some sort of recording too. Cheers guys!

JClutchD 12-23-2011 12:47 PM

Hey guys, I posted a video of myself playing the kit on Youtube if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpEOFjidABA

Cheers!

zambizzi 01-26-2012 07:20 PM

Really sweet kit you have there! Love the sizes as well. I bet they sound enormous!

JClutchD 01-26-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zambizzi (Post 949815)
Really sweet kit you have there! Love the sizes as well. I bet they sound enormous!

They sure do! I have 'em tuned wide open and I love it. My band actually said that they sound like they're mic'ed up, that's how loud they are :)

JClutchD 01-26-2012 08:17 PM

Re: My new Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in vintage natural finish **UPDATED PIC**

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an updated picture with an Emperor Smooth White reso and Emperor Coated tom batters:

cdrums21 02-02-2012 10:05 PM

Sweet kit. I had a kit just like that only 10x7.5/12x9/16x14/22x18 and loved them. Great looking finish isn't it? Only gets better with time and they sound awesome. Congrats. BTW, I like it better with the white head on the kick too!

resohead 02-02-2012 10:17 PM

Awesome all the way around. Even the small hole in kick drum reso.

adam! 02-03-2012 12:12 AM

Absolutely beautiful kit!

Push 02-03-2012 01:11 PM

Great looking drums. Fantastic finish. You should be proud of those!

JClutchD 02-04-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdrums21 (Post 953457)
Sweet kit. I had a kit just like that only 10x7.5/12x9/16x14/22x18 and loved them. Great looking finish isn't it? Only gets better with time and they sound awesome. Congrats. BTW, I like it better with the white head on the kick too!

Thanks! Yeah I love the finish, I can't wait for it to settle in. I'm glad you think the white reso looks better too! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by resohead (Post 953468)
Awesome all the way around. Even the small hole in kick drum reso.

Thanks man! It's only a 4" hole, I wanted a port hole juuust big enough for a mic to fit in there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam! (Post 953548)
Absolutely beautiful kit!

Thanks man! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Push (Post 953857)
Great looking drums. Fantastic finish. You should be proud of those!

Thank you! I really am proud!

...a little too much, actually. :)

JClutchD 10-07-2013 08:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more recent pics of my kit. I haven't been using the 18" FT all that much lately but I'm sure I'll start using it again soon enough.

Cheers