DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   DrummerWorld Site News (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83191)

Ian Williams 11-13-2011 02:00 AM

Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Nice outstanding performance by great musicians: drums & percussion.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/s...lipsmd082.html

Simon has a beautiful and free playing style...

keep it simple 11-13-2011 10:53 AM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 913091)
Nice outstanding performance by great musicians: drums & percussion.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/s...lipsmd082.html

Simon has a beautiful and free playing style...

Ian, you so know you're preaching to the converted here :) Have you heard Simon's latest collaboration with Anthony Jackson on Hiromi's trio project, Voice? Awe man!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79G18...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evOZJ...eature=related

Mad About Drums 11-13-2011 02:52 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 913091)
Simon has a beautiful and free playing style...

Yes! He's the man for me.

Here's a track from Jon Lord's solo album "Before I Forget" from early 80's with a young Simon Phillips, mind blowing stuff, at 5:53 the double bass goes to sextuplets! incredible...

It's Jon Lord's version of Toccata & Fugue by Johann Sebastian Bach...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9OFZ9Mh7GA

keep it simple 11-13-2011 06:20 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad About Drums (Post 913311)
Yes! He's the man for me.

Here's a track from Jon Lord's solo album "Before I Forget" from early 80's with a young Simon Phillips, mind blowing stuff, at 5:53 the double bass goes to sextuplets! incredible...

It's Jon Lord's version of Toccata & Fugue by Johann Sebastian Bach...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9OFZ9Mh7GA

Awe man, that's just further wonderfulness. You really do have some knowledge of who played with who. After being out of the game so long, I'm largely ignorant of such gems. Thank you very much for highlighting lovely stuff (although that did cost me a couple of hours of listening to John Lord clips on Youtube :) )

Mad About Drums 11-13-2011 06:49 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 913384)
Awe man, that's just further wonderfulness. You really do have some knowledge of who played with who. After being out of the game so long, I'm largely ignorant of such gems. Thank you very much for highlighting lovely stuff (although that did cost me a couple of hours of listening to John Lord clips on Youtube :) )

Thanks for the kind comments Andy :-))

Sorry that I "forced" you to listen to Jon, however, I must point out that Simon's not playing all the songs on Jon Lord's album, it's shared with 2 other greats of the "rock" giants, namely Ian Paice and Cozy Powell (R.I.P.)...

Mad About Drums 11-13-2011 07:11 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 913091)
Simon has a beautiful and free playing style...

Here's another fabulous track by Mr monster groove's Simon Phillips with Mo Foster on bass (from the RMS trio) on the first solo album by Russ Ballard (the band Argent's guitatrist). The song's called "voices" and it's a hell of a rock groove... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVehzvsZ5GY

aydee 11-14-2011 03:29 AM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
...

... + Billy Ward playing shaker. 3 great drummers, and thats heck of a band Simon's put together,


...

Deltadrummer 11-14-2011 03:37 AM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
When asked about his drum set, Simon said many drum sets have 10 pieces, but this one goes up to 11.

keep it simple 11-14-2011 10:08 AM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad About Drums (Post 913412)
Here's another fabulous track by Mr monster groove's Simon Phillips with Mo Foster on bass (from the RMS trio) on the first solo album by Russ Ballard (the band Argent's guitatrist). The song's called "voices" and it's a hell of a rock groove... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVehzvsZ5GY

Absolutely loving that. What a groove! Great song too. I'll be searching out more of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 913597)
...
... + Billy Ward playing shaker.
.

Abe, just how the hell do you know that? Wow, I need to up the RAM content of my brain ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deltadrummer (Post 913602)
When asked about his drum set, Simon said many drum sets have 10 pieces, but this one goes up to 11.

Good quote Ken, & Simon has the playing balls to back that up too :)

Ian Williams 11-14-2011 12:53 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Thanks a lot man! a real mind blowing gem, amazingly played by both - Jon & Simon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad About Drums (Post 913311)
Yes! He's the man for me.

Here's a track from Jon Lord's solo album "Before I Forget" from early 80's with a young Simon Phillips, mind blowing stuff, at 5:53 the double bass goes to sextuplets! incredible...

It's Jon Lord's version of Toccata & Fugue by Johann Sebastian Bach...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9OFZ9Mh7GA


Ian Williams 11-14-2011 01:25 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
A young Simon Phillips playing for Judas Priest on "Sin After Sin" album - completely...one of my favourite rock one´s! back in 1977.

Starbreaker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z3-Q...eature=related

Dissident Aggressor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCu1...eature=related

...listen to the bass drum and china!

Ian Williams 11-14-2011 01:27 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Dear Andy - I will put it in one word: FLAWLESS.

...Thanks for sharing it mate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 913259)
Ian, you so know you're preaching to the converted here :) Have you heard Simon's latest collaboration with Anthony Jackson on Hiromi's trio project, Voice? Awe man!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79G18...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evOZJ...eature=related


Mad About Drums 11-14-2011 06:27 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 913751)
Dear Andy - I will put it in one word: FLAWLESS.

...Thanks for sharing it mate!

It's good isn't? One of my fav's of Simon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 913748)
A young Simon Phillips playing for Judas Priest on "Sin After Sin" album - completely...one of my favourite rock one´s! back in 1977.

Starbreaker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z3-Q...eature=related

Dissident Aggressor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCu1...eature=related

...listen to the bass drum and china!

I've got this one... great drumming and great band!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 913734)
Thanks a lot man! a real mind blowing gem, amazingly played by both - Jon & Simon.

Yes! Back (Bach) then, I was totally blew away...

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 913693)
Absolutely loving that. What a groove! Great song too. I'll be searching out more of that.

And you know what Andy? the whole album is stuffed with groove like that... But "Voices" is my favourite song.

Just had an idea, could we start a thread showing the "not so obvious work" by Simon? YouTube videos, mp3, etc.

I'm sure there's hardcore fans who would like something like this, but on the other hand, I don't know if it has already been done. I didn't wanted to go through the hundreds of pages of the "Drummers" section to find out.

What do you think? Should we have a go?

Ian Williams 11-14-2011 07:30 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad About Drums (Post 913862)
It's good isn't? One of my fav's of Simon.

I've got this one... great drumming and great band!

A: Very True! I'm a hardcore Judas Priest follower on both: music career and drummers since Alan Moore, John Hinch, Simon Phillips, Les Binks, Dave Holland and Scott Travis.

Yes! Back (Bach) then, I was totally blew away...

And you know what Andy? the whole album is stuffed with groove like that... But "Voices" is my favourite song.

Just had an idea, could we start a thread showing the "not so obvious work" by Simon? YouTube videos, mp3, etc.

I'm sure there's hardcore fans who would like something like this, but on the other hand, I don't know if it has already been done. I didn't wanted to go through the hundreds of pages of the "Drummers" section to find out.

What do you think? Should we have a go?

A: Go for it! I back you up...You can also call it "Simon's B-side (work)."

Doctor Dirt 11-15-2011 02:31 AM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Excellant drummer and a fine musician! Not a fan of the drum sound in that video I liked to hear more distinction between the toms and its possible that the lack of different sizes missing in intricate places lended to that. Great snare sound and kick drum all though it could have been more promient in the mix.
I enjoy listening to Mr. Phillips and he surrounds himself with excellant players now too.
Doc

Mad About Drums 11-15-2011 02:43 AM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt (Post 914097)
I enjoy listening to Mr. Phillips and he surrounds himself with excellant players now too.
Doc

Good for you Doc!
Check out my new thread "Simon Phillips B-Sides - The Rarities" on the "Drummers" section, you'll enjoy some of Simon's little gems and treasures.

I will post some incredible pieces from Mr Phillips for a few days. And some will be posted by other members too.

Ian Williams 11-19-2011 06:57 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Hi Doc / Mr. MD!

Check and enjoy this one: Simon Phillips - Playing pattern in 33/8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pqxi...eature=related

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt (Post 914097)
Excellant drummer and a fine musician! Great snare sound and kick drum all though it could have been more promient in the mix.


Doctor Dirt 11-19-2011 08:50 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
I appreciate it, I found a video with Simon meeting the Father of Double Bass Drumming Mr. Louis Belison. That was really fun to watch and you can see respect and admiration in their eyes. Mr. Pillips had a grin ear to ear you could see how he enjoyed performing with Louie. Louie was considered one of the kindest musicians ever and would go out of his way to help any musician. Imagine the music in his house hold while he was married to Ella Fitzgerald????? That house was filled with great music for sure. Doc

Mad About Drums 11-19-2011 08:57 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt (Post 916165)
I appreciate it, I found a video with Simon meeting the Father of Double Bass Drumming Mr. Louis Belison. That was really fun to watch and you can see respect and admiration in their eyes. Mr. Pillips had a grin ear to ear you could see how he enjoyed performing with Louie. Louie was considered one of the kindest musicians ever and would go out of his way to help any musician. Imagine the music in his house hold while he was married to Ella Fitzgerald????? That house was filled with great music for sure. Doc

It is this video by any chance? http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/s...artattack.html

iwantmemoney 11-20-2011 04:33 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Do you guys really feel that this is fair, putting up the most amazing stuff by one of my all-time idols, so I can't get anything else done? It's just so heartless. When I grow up, I hope I can achieve just a small degree of "beautiful, free, and flawless". And thanks to Simon for teaching us that through his playing.

Ian Williams 11-20-2011 06:56 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
It's a pleasant torture...my dear friend! ;-)

JohnW 11-22-2011 08:27 PM

Re: Simon Phillips + Ndugu Chancler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt (Post 916165)
I appreciate it, I found a video with Simon meeting the Father of Double Bass Drumming Mr. Louis Belison. That was really fun to watch and you can see respect and admiration in their eyes. Mr. Pillips had a grin ear to ear you could see how he enjoyed performing with Louie. Louie was considered one of the kindest musicians ever and would go out of his way to help any musician. Imagine the music in his house hold while he was married to Ella Fitzgerald????? That house was filled with great music for sure. Doc

Really? Imagine if Pearl Bailey walked in on them ;-)....

-John


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com