DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Smiley Faces and Angry Posts (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82232)

Coldhardsteel 10-20-2011 02:29 AM

Smiley Faces and Angry Posts

Am I the only one who hates it when someone posts an obviously irritated or angry response and ends it with a smiley face?

Kinda like this: (:

It's passive aggressive and annoying. All members who use this tactic are immature and prefer angering opposition to being in an actual intellectual conversation and should go pour bleach in their eyes. Thanks. (:

Pocket-full-of-gold 10-20-2011 02:34 AM

Re: Smiley Faces and Angry Posts

Why don't you go and have a whinge elsewhere? :-)

Deathmetalconga 10-20-2011 02:43 AM

I have never used an emoticon in my life.

And it's better to be passive-aggressive than active-aggressive.

sticks4drums 10-20-2011 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga (Post 903605)
I have never used an emoticon in my life.

And it's better to be passive-aggressive than active-aggressive.

Exactly! What he said.

GRUNTERSDAD 10-20-2011 02:45 AM

I prefer the ones that add a bit of sarcasm and add a little 8+) at the end. That by the way is my smiley face with my Florida sunglasses on.

Pocket-full-of-gold 10-20-2011 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 903607)
I prefer the ones that add a bit of sarcasm and add a little 8+) at the end.

Exactly. I actually find them useful from time to time. The smiley face often denotes a degree of tongue-in-cheek or at least lets one know that the post has been written more as a tease than through any real aggression (as per my first reply Coldie....I wasn't serious and the smiley helps to reflect that).

I like them. More often than not they allow me to see the context behind the post. Face to face, we have body language, eye contact and tone of voice to make intentions easy to identify.....not so much when relying solely on the written word.

sticks4drums 10-20-2011 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 903613)
Exactly. I actually find them useful from time to time. The smiley face often denotes a degree of tongue-in-cheek or at least lets one know that the post has been written more as a tease than through any real aggression (as per my first reply Coldie....I wasn't serious and the smiley helps to reflect that).

I like them. More often than not they allow me to see the context behind the post. Face to face, we have body language and tone of voice to make intentions easy to identify.....not so much when relying solely on the written word.

Well said you Ausie lush. ;P

mediocrefunkybeat 10-20-2011 03:15 AM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/p...jpg?1307991239

Oh, oh. Do I win?

sticks4drums 10-20-2011 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat (Post 903620)

You would of, but you forgot a :) at the end :)

mediocrefunkybeat 10-20-2011 03:23 AM

I don't smile very often, though.

aydee 10-20-2011 04:43 AM

"spress yoself" is what I say. Use all the tools made available to you by God n' Gates to do that.

Its a lot less painful than having to read the next six posts explaining the tone and manner and what was actually meant in the first one.

sticks4drums 10-20-2011 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat (Post 903625)
I don't smile very often, though.

Time to start. Never too late. :)

DSCRAPRE 10-20-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

I've never hated anybody more than I hate you.

Pocket-full-of-gold 10-20-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSCRAPRE (Post 903667)

See......the absence of a smiley makes me think you are serious. No smileys....and confusion reigns supreme.

:-) :-) :-) :-) ;-) ;-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) (take that Coldhardsteel.....had enough, or do you want some more?)

Coldhardsteel 10-20-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 903668)
See......the absence of a smiley makes me think you are serious. No smileys....and confusion reigns supreme.

:-) :-) :-) :-) ;-) ;-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) (take that Coldhardsteel.....had enough, or do you want some more?)

GAHHHHHHHH MY BRAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIINNN

Pollyanna 10-20-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 903644)
"spress yoself" is what I say. Use all the tools made available to you by God n' Gates to do that.

Its a lot less painful than having to read the next six posts explaining the tone and manner and what was actually meant in the first one.

+1

I like emoticons. If I do a smiley then it means I'm either smiling as I type or smiling inside. Emoticons and lol etc help bridge the gap between the written word and body language, especially when dealing with people you've never met face to face.

I don't mind how people express themselves if I like what's being expressed. Better still if a person writes with a fair level of grammar, spelling and eloquence, but I'm fine with any amount of clunkiness if the thoughts expressed are wise.

Life's too short to waste passing judgement on people for misdemeanours.

caddywumpus 10-20-2011 06:50 AM

I usually use the "sticking out the tongue" smiley for sarcasm or bad jokes.

I hope MFB's elephant has a thick skin to get through this thread! :P

DrumEatDrum 10-20-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel (Post 903599)
Am I the only one who hates it when someone posts an obviously irritated or angry response and ends it with a smiley face?

It's passive aggressive and annoying. All members who use this tactic are immature and prefer angering opposition to being in an actual intellectual conversation and should go pour bleach in their eyes. Thanks. (:

If there is a smiley face, how do you know the post in angry?

I've seen a lot of posts where someone took something to be mean/angry when the writer was not intending to to be mean/angry.

It's all plain text, and and people tend to insert what tone of voice they think the writer is using, when it may or may not be the case. Emoticons can be helping to better state the proper tone of voice to distinguish what is an angry post vs a happy post, or otherwise.

eddiehimself 10-20-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel (Post 903599)

What exactly has brought this on then? I agree with everyone else that emoticons are there to be used on forums in the absence of any other way of expressing emotion, aside from using the written word, which can be extremely cumbersome and difficult to use for people who aren't Earnest Hemmingway. (I know nothing about Earnest Hemmingway except that he has the same intials as me but he was in this crap film that my mum made me watch on monday so that's the only reason I'm mentioning him).

mediocrefunkybeat 10-20-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSCRAPRE (Post 903667)

That definitely means that I've won.

keep it simple 10-20-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caddywumpus (Post 903677)
I usually use the "sticking out the tongue" smiley for sarcasm or bad jokes.

:P

I've always wondered what :P was, thanks Caddy! I like the reverse smily better too (: These little things certainly are great for communicating a tone, & clearly, especially good for winding up CHS (;

Naigewron 10-20-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

http://media.skateboard.com.au/forum...W-DIAMONDS.jpg

eddiehimself 10-20-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 903741)
I've always wondered what :P was, thanks Caddy!

oh yeah, one of my friends can't stop using that one lol.

Zickos 10-20-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

I prefer the ones that add a bit of sarcasm and add a little 8+) at the end. That by the way is my smiley face with my Florida sunglasses on.

I'm totally going to use that.

Isn't it interesting that a site that doesn't allow emoticons has so many emoticons. 8+)

eddiehimself 10-20-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zickos (Post 903801)
I'm totally going to use that.

Isn't it interesting that a site that doesn't allow emoticons has so many emoticons. 8+)

They're like drugs- you can try to ban them, but they're still being used :p

aydee 10-20-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

I see that you've got your nose rings on too : + )

eddiehimself 10-20-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 903891)
I see that you've got your nose rings on too : + )

if you want to go crazy with the piercings you can have :+): oh yeah.

MikeM 10-20-2011 10:39 PM

I thought (: was unhappy about having his eyeballs relocated to his chin. :P

chaymus 10-21-2011 12:12 AM

I'm sticking with good ol'

8Mile 10-21-2011 02:49 AM

I generally avoid emoticons, although I will occasionally use one to express a sincere emotion or after a joke to make sure the person knows it was a joke. I will never use one sarcastically, though, like dropping a smiley at the end of a mean-spirited remark. That just sucks. I really hate the rolleyes emoticon. That should never be used by anyone, anywhere, ever. It's inexcusable and should result in a permanent forum ban. And preferably physical abuse, too.

Pollyanna 10-21-2011 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8Mile (Post 904018)
I will never use one sarcastically, though, like dropping a smiley at the end of a mean-spirited remark.

I don't see that often at all. At times I've seen people do a little teasing ... in which case finishing with a smile is to invite a tease back. Sometimes things that are said are taken more seriously than they are intended. That's the problem in "talking" with strangers using only the written word.

I never give emoticons a thought ... before the web people generally wrote informally to people they knew, so there was enough trust to mean emoticons weren't needed. Emoticons are just something done on the web to allow strangers to communicate more effectively in writing, making up for the lack of facial expressions.

There is a view that emoticons reduce the gravitas of communication and those who use them are dismissed as lightweights. Sure, emoticons don't belong in formal business or academic writing. But to dismiss them in an informal forum is rather pompous and stodgy, don't you think?

If people want to be taken seriously and see emoticons banned then they should be writing detailed and structured posts of at least 1,000 words, with references (using the Harvard system?).

:)

Ian Williams 10-21-2011 05:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Straight angry...for an smiley face!

8Mile 10-21-2011 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollyanna (Post 904040)
I don't see that often at all. At times I've seen people do a little teasing ... in which case finishing with a smile is to invite a tease back. Sometimes things that are said are taken more seriously than they are intended. That's the problem in "talking" with strangers using only the written word.

Yeah, that's the good use of emoticons. A smiley that lets someone know, "I'm just messin' with ya."

But on some of the other message forums I frequent, the rolleyes is definitely used as a passive-aggressive "I'm being a dickwad" device. I just think that's lame. I'd rather be punched in the face than given that treatment. But that's just me.

sticks4drums 10-21-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollyanna (Post 904040)

I never give emoticons a thought ... before the web people generally wrote informally to people they knew, so there was enough trust to mean emoticons weren't needed. Emoticons are just something done on the web to allow strangers to communicate more effectively in writing, making up for the lack of facial expressions.

There is a view that emoticons reduce the gravitas of communication and those who use them are dismissed as lightweights. Sure, emoticons don't belong in formal business or academic writing. But to dismiss them in an informal forum is rather pompous and stodgy, don't you think?

If people want to be taken seriously and see emoticons banned then they should be writing detailed and structured posts of at least 1,000 words, with references (using the Harvard system?).

:)

Very well said there Polyanna.

Pollyanna 10-21-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8Mile (Post 904046)
But on some of the other message forums I frequent, the rolleyes is definitely used as a passive-aggressive "I'm being a dickwad" device. I just think that's lame. I'd rather be punched in the face than given that treatment. But that's just me.

Fair nuff. It ain't exactly a sign of trust or goodwill between people. Personally, I'd MUCH prefer rolled eyes to a punch in the face ... but maybe that's just me :)

Cheers Sticks. The way I see it Knowledge + perceptiveness + trust + goodwill = A good thread.

eddiehimself 10-22-2011 05:06 PM

I must say what gets on my nerves is people who don't use any emoticons but then expect you to know when they're making a joke or being sarcastic. Do they think we're telepathic or something?

eddiehimself 10-24-2011 05:34 PM

The other really annoying one is when people use the "lauging" emoticon, as if to say "how stupid are you LOL"

KarlCrafton 10-27-2011 08:09 PM

The ad at the top when I scrolled up was for "the next generation" of Smiley emodicons...

go figure.

Zickos 10-28-2011 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddiehimself (Post 904507)
I must say what gets on my nerves is people who don't use any emoticons but then expect you to know when they're making a joke or being sarcastic. Do they think we're telepathic or something?

You're not telepathic? I knew that.

inneedofgrace 11-01-2011 06:43 PM

FYI - LOL:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/emoticon.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q.../emoticon2.jpg