DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Phil Gould (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81610)

Sondy Pasteurisen 09-30-2011 11:21 AM

Phil Gould
 
So, Phil Gould.

Could he be the world's most underrated groove player? Had a stretch as a founder member of Level 42 who he left in 87. Hasn't done much since but has recently released two albums (Watertight & Terraforming) both replete with some restrained 'pocket' pop playing. Less hubris than Husband (who I love btw), with a great snare sound and fantastic feel. If you're a fan of this kind of drumming then you may already know about him. If not then check it out.

Gavin Harrison has mentioned nicking some ideas off him, I believe.

Anyone else care to comment?

double_G 09-30-2011 05:35 PM

Re: Phil Gould
 
YES ! super underrated / unacknowledged player. i used to play along w/ Level 42 stuff for years. lots in the late 80s / 90s. stole the sh*t out of this groove:

+ http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21...-in-love_music

love Husband / King as well but have a special place for Gould / King & the original line-up. i saw Level 42 live in the late 80s (opened up for Tina Turner?) & they knocked me out.

BillBachman 09-30-2011 10:03 PM

Re: Phil Gould
 
I love his playing. The first issue of Modern Drummer I ever saw and bought had him on the cover. Level42 is an amazing study in groove. There's even a bootleg from when Gavin Harrison played with them for a tour (at least). Yes, he kills it too.

Jeremy Bender 10-01-2011 04:23 AM

Re: Phil Gould
 
Man the hours that I spent trying to nail his steady samba groove on 'World Machine' I can't tell you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV14FrHdy3Y

8Mile 10-01-2011 04:53 AM

Re: Phil Gould
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillBachman (Post 896827)
The first issue of Modern Drummer I ever saw and bought had him on the cover.

I owned that issue, too. Sadly, it wasn't the first issue I bought. Because I'm old.

This was my favorite Gould/Level 42 track: http://youtu.be/PxYzt-MKFGw

Sondy Pasteurisen 10-01-2011 09:05 AM

Re: Phil Gould
 
It's good to know others appreciate his playing. Freedom Someday is a cracker.

He's still got it though. Check:

http://youtu.be/m2P5q7iR27Q

Great tune

double_G 10-01-2011 06:21 PM

Re: Phil Gould
 
had to post this. "physical presence" from vinyl:

+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwriykjNX-Y

also found Phil playing this tune live with open handed grip, LH on the hi-hat & pretty up-tempo v.s the studio version. what a monster.

+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRSUMnEWadU

rock fan 12-12-2011 04:23 AM

Re: Phil Gould
 
im a beginner drummer and i love level 42 prefer phil gould to gary husband such a shame phil isnt in level 42 anymore

Gary Husband 12-23-2011 11:56 AM

Re: Phil Gould
 
Phil was the boss with Level 42. What he had with Mark was something great. That was never anything I could get half as good during my tenure with the band. The group was never particularly my real strength anyway.

On the other hand, Phil wouldn't be able to produce the Dirty & Beautiful album - the Volume 2 edition comes out this February - so we all have our real strengths!

Back on the 42 thing, I recommend highly Pete Ray Biggin - the current drummer with the band. He's making that group feel really great right now in my estimation. Check him out!


GH

Derek Roddy 01-02-2012 06:00 PM

Re: Phil Gould
 
Love Phil's playing.
World Machine is Defiantly in my top 5 favorite drum recordings of all time.

D.

DangerousDave 01-04-2012 12:28 AM

Re: Phil Gould
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Husband (Post 931441)
Phil was the boss with Level 42. What he had with Mark was something great. That was never anything I could get half as good during my tenure with the band. The group was never particularly my real strength anyway.

On the other hand, Phil wouldn't be able to produce the Dirty & Beautiful album - the Volume 2 edition comes out this February - so we all have our real strengths!

Back on the 42 thing, I recommend highly Pete Ray Biggin - the current drummer with the band. He's making that group feel really great right now in my estimation. Check him out!


GH

Mr. Husband, I really like what you did with the band. Guaranteed and Staring at the sun are among my favourite Level 42 albums :)

Back on topic... I really like Phil. He's an amazing player and I learned and still am learning from him. And btw his massive Tama with SImmons pads was a spectacular kit which I always loved to watch :) Hope Phil is doing fine. All the best to him :)

Gary Husband 01-05-2012 04:07 PM

Re: Phil Gould
 
Hmm, thanks anyway Dave. I really can't agree but I appreciate it anyway.

It's all Phil's legacy. He was the original and easily, by far the best.

My legacy I tend to insist is the whole Allan Holdsworth thing, and what we did there all those years. Like as in Phil with Level 42, I was the first and original with Allan's groups - (I.O.U., from 1980 and stuff the years since.)

Other than that... And still relative to this thread I believe Mark King and I got the best groove we ever got on a track called "Alverstone Jam" from the album "Dirty & Beautiful Vol 1". Hope you may get to hear it sometime.



Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerousDave (Post 936613)
Mr. Husband, I really like what you did with the band. Guaranteed and Staring at the sun are among my favourite Level 42 albums :)

Back on topic... I really like Phil. He's an amazing player and I learned and still am learning from him. And btw his massive Tama with SImmons pads was a spectacular kit which I always loved to watch :) Hope Phil is doing fine. All the best to him :)


DangerousDave 01-05-2012 08:11 PM

Re: Phil Gould
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Husband (Post 937633)
Hmm, thanks anyway Dave. I really can't agree but I appreciate it anyway.

It's all Phil's legacy. He was the original and easily, by far the best.

My legacy I tend to insist is the whole Allan Holdsworth thing, and what we did there all those years. Like as in Phil with Level 42, I was the first and original with Allan's groups - (I.O.U., from 1980 and stuff the years since.)

Other than that... And still relative to this thread I believe Mark King and I got the best groove we ever got on a track called "Alverstone Jam" from the album "Dirty & Beautiful Vol 1". Hope you may get to hear it sometime.

Well, you've been with the band so obviously you know better what chemistry you had with Mr. King and the rest of the band and how it showed through the final products - songs. All I can say is that, from a listeners point of view, the albums I mentioned before are great to listen to and to learn from. It's not a secret the band sounded different after Phil left, but different doesn't mean worse. So thanks to Mr. Gould and thank YOU Mr. Husband for inspiration in certain times when drumming becomes a bit boring :)

Gary Husband 01-06-2012 12:13 PM

Re: Phil Gould
 
My pleasure sir, and thanks.

In reference to what we're talking about, perhaps it's appropriate to quote a certain adage between musicians/bands that sums it all up for me...

"When you change the drummer, you change everything!"

(Never a truer word spoken!)



Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerousDave (Post 937800)
Well, you've been with the band so obviously you know better what chemistry you had with Mr. King and the rest of the band and how it showed through the final products - songs. All I can say is that, from a listeners point of view, the albums I mentioned before are great to listen to and to learn from. It's not a secret the band sounded different after Phil left, but different doesn't mean worse. So thanks to Mr. Gould and thank YOU Mr. Husband for inspiration in certain times when drumming becomes a bit boring :)


DangerousDave 01-06-2012 02:19 PM

Re: Phil Gould
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Husband (Post 938303)
My pleasure sir, and thanks.

In reference to what we're talking about, perhaps it's appropriate to quote a certain adage between musicians/bands that sums it all up for me...

"When you change the drummer, you change everything!"

(Never a truer word spoken!)

I couldn't agree more :)

wizard sticks 06-02-2013 08:07 PM

Re: Phil Gould
 
I enjoyed Phil Gould's playing immensely, and he was popular drummer at the time.

He seemed like a laid-back character and this seemed to suit Mark King's brilliant but busy bass playing.

Level 42's stuff is just great to learn and practice to. Essential for any funky player. There are some subtleties in his playing that is just superb.

Gary Husband is being pretty modest here. I think Level 42 peaked as they were becoming a world act, and I think this is why Phil left. I practiced to "Staring At The Sun" too!

IJamEcono 02-11-2014 04:01 PM

Re: Phil Gould
 
Phil Gould ... the drummer we hardly ever talk about when we talk about great drummers most known for their work from the 1980s. His playing on "Lying Still" from World Machine still gives me chills after all these years. It's creative, emotional, and deep in the groove, which is hard to do at moderate volume and a middling tempo.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com