DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   John Blackwell (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792)

Stevis 07-25-2005 12:14 AM

John Blackwell

I myself really like john blackwell as a drummer. I really feel his grooves a lot more so than other drummers and he does a lot cool rudiments, styles, stick tricks and more. What do you guys think about him?

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...Blackwell.html

NUTHA JASON 07-25-2005 12:19 AM

Re: John Blackwell

i got his dvd. he is a great drummer and showman but a bit of a dull teacher. still you can learn loads from him and he is really friendly.

j

Stevis 07-25-2005 06:00 AM

Yeah i got his dvd's here from my teacher. And it's autographed by him. He's not the best talking to people but definately a good player.

darkcherryfade 07-25-2005 06:51 AM

Hearing him talk is indeed exhausting. Notice how when he talks about his father, he seems to almost forget his last name- "My number one influence? My father, John....(gasp)....Blackwell, Sr." He is an excellent drummer though. And he has a mean right foot.

c8ptain_0ats 07-26-2005 07:22 AM

yeh i saw him when he toured solo in australia,
yeh he defently is a showman but i think its great - alot of the olden drummer like, buddy, and gene where all showmen. and it jsut add's to the musicianship.
i found that he hit his kit really hard though; even though it was all mic'd and cas it was in a small venu my ears where ringing at the end.

beatz 07-28-2005 05:29 AM

That dude has some chops out of this world!! I really like his playing, really solid. He does kinda remind me of buddy and gene a bit.

Stu_Strib 07-28-2005 06:08 AM

He is a great drummer, with a very special gift.

He was VERY nervous on the DVD....why? I'll never know because he is better than 99% of drummers in the world. I guess maybe he thinks some of those heros he mentioned would be watching?

Another thing people rarely mention about good drummer....What a great sounding kit and cymbal setup (Man I gotta get one of those 19" HHXplosion crashes!

cactusman 07-30-2005 10:39 PM

may god rest his daughter's soul

Joe Morris 07-30-2005 10:59 PM

I have met and shared a drum set with John. He is not really a very talkative guy to begin with. He's a great drummer and he suffered a unbelievable loss.

Im proud of him, some cats would have just crumbled and called it a life time.

Joe Morris

Stevis 07-30-2005 11:17 PM

Did you guys know he named his Gong after his daughter after she died in that tragic swimming accident.

darkcherryfade 07-31-2005 10:00 AM

I just saw him on the Ultimate Drummer's Weekend 2003 dvd, and he got even better. Plus he's playing almost my exact same kit, except his bass drum and toms are maple. Now if I could play everything he plays on my kit, I'd be set!

Sad story about his daughter. I know there's something else he named after her too. Anyone know?

Stu_Strib 07-31-2005 05:44 PM

The other thing I like about John, other than his obvious enthusiasm for playing, is the level of musicianship he demostrates wiht that band on his DVD. Even though its really chops intensive and setup to really let him shine, when he's not chop'in hardcore he really plays nice parts.

minnietguinea 08-03-2005 06:52 PM

In defense, Mr. Blackwell is an amazing guy. I'm attending the Berklee five week program, and just finished talking to him about the reality of succeeding in music. He was very honest about the odds, and about schools, making connections, etc. I also have him as an ensemble director, and I can vouch that he loves to play! Every time I mess up, he gets on the kit and plays the song down...But after three rehearsals, I think I've got it, mostly because I got to watch him play.

DR.WHOO 08-03-2005 07:51 PM

Love his playing and love his humanity...
i saw his dvd and to be honest i don't like it so much...
dunno why ..maybe love his groove but no so much his technique

T

jamsjr44 08-03-2005 08:16 PM

I bought his DVD the minute is was released and though I was WOWED by his technique and speed. I did get a bit annoyed when he talked on the DVD and obviously it was because he was nervous. But even some of his chops were a little sloppy I thought for someone asked to play at a MD Show. I'm not knocking him in anyway because I love the DVD, but I think his timing on some of those songs could have been better.

But I only wish I had the opportunity to play at a show that big or make my own DVD.

BaDrum21 08-08-2005 08:25 AM

So Im also doing the Berklee 5-week program, and getting taught by Blackwell for a funk/fusion lab (minnietguinea whats your name I've probably met you sometime in the practice rooms or whatever). Blackwell is the man, really cool guy.....not so great teacher. I mean, im sure he would be better, if he didnt spend most of the time we have showing us videos of him playing with Prince. We also missed one class becuase he had a clinic....and there was no talk about making that up so i dont know. His class is really fun, I would just rather have him teach us more instead of showing us videos. This week everyone in the class has to do an open solo (up to 10 min) for him....that should be fun, as long as I can try to forget who im playing for so i dont get nervous. Its still a shock to me that when I see him walking down the street by Berklee he says Hey to me. Berklee is awesome.

minnietguinea 08-08-2005 10:06 AM

My name's Drew. White kid with the jew-fro and glasses. I know what you mean about just having him talk to you randomly. I was in Dunkin Donuts with one of my friends and didn't even see him walk in, and he just walks up to me. I was talking about something with my friend, and he's just like "shut up." It was weird, because I had to do a double take to even notice it was him.

mellis 09-13-2005 05:35 AM

John Blackwell on Australia Bert Newton Morning Show

John Blackwell came down for a few drum clinics in australia. I was happy to be the theatre technician at kaliede when he came down to melbourne. The day after he did the clinic he appeared on bert, a melbourne tv show, with some of melbournes many great musoes. I recorded that session and have it avaliable to download.
They play a prince classic

http://www.mellisdesigns.com/blackwell

Its a high quality 80mb divX file. It is a great session that runs for about 4 minutes and 40 seconds.

drumzalicious 09-15-2005 10:52 PM

Re: John Blackwell on Australia Bert Newton Morning Show

thanks for the clip man.

Lunatic-finesse 09-19-2005 03:40 PM

Oi dude i was heaps lucky enuff to go to his sydney clinic.....without a doubt he is the best drummer in the world atm....absolute freak.....could u please tell me what band he performed it with on bert newton....and what is the original song title and by who?....dont know my prince s*** unfortunately....cheers

krypto 09-19-2005 05:59 PM

think so too, he's defnitly the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!

hik 09-20-2005 02:21 PM

I too was there at his recent Australian clinic tour.
He certainly hits the drums hard, were't they selling earplugs for like $2 that night? :D

The man has great technique as well as being a groover.

Nice guy too.

fourstringdrums 09-20-2005 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mellis
John Blackwell came down for a few drum clinics in australia. I was happy to be the theatre technician at kaliede when he came down to melbourne. The day after he did the clinic he appeared on bert, a melbourne tv show, with some of melbournes many great musoes. I recorded that session and have it avaliable to download.
They play a prince classic

http://www.mellisdesigns.com/blackwell

Its a high quality 80mb divX file. It is a great session that runs for about 4 minutes and 40 seconds.

Is this the same video that Bernhard just posted?

mellis 09-21-2005 09:38 AM

Thanks for the support guys. Only giving the community a better understanding of how good this guy really is!

The band that he played with were session artists from Melbourne, Australia. The song that they are playing is 'Prince - The Everlasting Now'

Enjoy

Mitch

MELLISdesigns.com

Scatman 09-21-2005 10:29 AM

Jamsjr41 give me a break! You got to be kidding! I saw John's DVD and he was awesome! What nervous?

drummerstix_au 09-21-2005 12:17 PM

I saw Blackwell's clinic in Sydney last week.. and I was gobsmacked.... he is an awesome drummer, his delivery was sensational, and a very funny clinican.. some of the things he did.. I was left thinking.. How the F**k did he do that??? LOL

If anyone gets a chance to see him live... go!!!! It'll be one of the best clinics you will ever see.

Smoky_McPot 09-21-2005 01:26 PM

Hey theres plenty of us in this thread lol! Man I wish I could go to those clinics and stuff but I live in Far North Qld...I am going to move down to brisbane in a year maybe so then i can go to all the awesome clinics....until then...think im just gonna cry lol.

drummerstix_au 09-21-2005 01:42 PM

aaawww there there smoky...

Actually I was up in cairns a few weeks ago.. for a month.... very pretty place.. but sooo quiet. LOL

A lot to see, hear, think 10-24-2005 08:25 PM

Hey,

John is one the greatest! Really love his kit and his playing.
I want to know what kind heads he uses on all of his kits. Does anybody know somethin about that? I also want to know kind of snare he uses on drummerworld.
Could somebody give me some advice.

Thank you,
and see some other time

A lot to see, hear, think

cdawg_2010 04-02-2006 08:29 PM

i really like his playing!! i think hes a great funk drummer, but does anyone know why he has his china way up in the air and behind him like that in the videos on here

rendezvous_drummer 04-02-2006 08:34 PM

I really enjoy his playing on the videos ive seen on here. I'm going to buy his dvd soon.

Drifter in the Dark 04-03-2006 06:53 PM

Regarding A Lot To See's question about heads. . .
On the DVD, as far as I know, this is his kit and head setup:
10x8, 12x8 rack toms, 13x13, 14x14, 16x16 floor toms, 22x18 bass drum, 13x5.5 snare drum. Evans clear heads (G2 top/G1 bottom) on toms, Power Center Reverse Dot (or coated G1) on snare, clear EMAD on bass drum.
Hope this helps!

smoggrocks 04-03-2006 07:02 PM

he's one funky drummer, fo' sho'.

there was a pretty good interview with him in the berklee alum magazine, where he talks about how he almost quit drums after his daughter passed. apparently, prince was instrumental in helping him get back on track with playing.

i love his showmanship and fluidity. he just looks like he's having a great time playing, which is always cool to see.

some nice news on the child front is that he and his wife are now the proud parents of twins.

chris--byrne 04-03-2006 07:02 PM

I really like John's playing style and he's in a great band !! I might be going to see him in clinc on 6th of April ... can't wait !

-Chris

Bernhard 04-03-2006 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdawg_2010
i really like his playing!! i think hes a great funk drummer, but does anyone know why he has his china way up in the air and behind him like that in the videos on here

Yes of course: It's Showmanship - for moving around and sticktwirling.

Just yesterday I entered a packed up hall (...in Frankfurt) and I had a very bad sight to the stage. The only thing I saw was this crazy China and Johns sticks flying around.

Bernhard

Poncho86 04-05-2006 02:48 AM

The "Funky John" Video on this site truly leaves me picking up my jaw off of the floor. How he keeps the hi-hat and snare going throughout the song while twirling his sticks crashing and cymbal mutes. A truly "tight" drummer.

drumtohell 04-07-2006 03:09 PM

im gonna see him tonight at the talk in norwich :D

hauk 04-29-2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poncho86
The "Funky John" Video on this site truly leaves me picking up my jaw off of the floor. How he keeps the hi-hat and snare going throughout the song while twirling his sticks crashing and cymbal mutes. A truly "tight" drummer.

talk about showmanship... wow

zachg 09-04-2006 07:36 AM

John Blackwell is my favorite drummer at the moment. I love his DVD, it awesome! Hes so tight and funky. Really Fast right foot too

altered_beast 11-27-2006 12:06 AM

does anyone own John's Sabian Signature china? I'm considering getting it as another option for my stack.