DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Amy Winehouse RIP (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78976)

2bsticks 07-23-2011 09:27 PM

Amy Winehouse RIP

And another one bites the dust. So young and a great talent. What a waste.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...JJVI_blog.html

Ian Williams 07-23-2011 10:00 PM

Re: Amy Winehouse RIP

Another celebrity goes down...too young. Peace to your soul - Amy!

GRUNTERSDAD 07-23-2011 10:02 PM

27 seems to be a popular age to die.

Robert Johnson
Brian Jones
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
JIm Morrison
Kurt Cobain
Ron McKernan
Jean-Micheal Basquait
Freaky Tah
Amy Winehouse

thunderstruck 07-23-2011 10:39 PM

This is terrible. She seemed to never be able to get straight, and she had that great voice. I am sad about the news, but not surprised.

Stalwart_Pandora-Chris 07-23-2011 10:46 PM

It's not really a suprise to me. She wrote a song about rehab and she was alway on drugs or alcohol and recently she begged people to buy her album and then she dies of a certain drug overdose. I knew it as soon as I heard the news, not really that much of a shock to me.

ambientgreg 07-23-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 869718)

Robert Johnson
Brian Jones
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
JIm Morrison
Kurt Cobain
Ron McKernan
Jean-Nicheal Basquait
Freaky Tah
Amy Winehouse

Jean Michel Basquiat

GRUNTERSDAD 07-23-2011 11:32 PM

Sorry for the typo. I'm old. It has been changed.

Biscuit 07-24-2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stalwart_Pandora-Chris (Post 869731)
It's not really a suprise to me. She wrote a song about rehab and she was alway on drugs or alcohol and recently she begged people to buy her album and then she dies of a certain drug overdose. I knew it as soon as I heard the news, not really that much of a shock to me.

Agreed. I wasn't shocked by this either. Still it's sad to hear. At least now she is at peace.

AlphaAccount 07-24-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunderstruck (Post 869727)
This is terrible. She seemed to never be able to get straight, and she had that great voice. I am sad about the news, but not surprised.

Agreed. She had an amazing, soulful voice, and was full of talent. But after that last appearance she made on stage drunk/high, it was in the back of my mind that something would happen to her if she didn't get help (it was around the time of the Charlie Sheen thing). Unfortunately, this is how things ended. There goes another talent that the (hollywood) media just ridiculed and watched go down. It's been clear that she had a drug problem and no one intervened to help. Hopefully an effort for more drug awareness will rise out of this.

RIP Amy Whinehouse.

Deathmetalconga 07-24-2011 01:15 AM

I do not think I ever even heard any of her songs. I somehow avoid people who destroy themselves. Even if they are very talented. If she choked on her vomit or died in a similar way, don't be surpised when the jokes start rolling in.

KBadd 07-24-2011 01:40 AM

I am not surprised nor shocked....nothing. My wife and I said this would happen 3 years ago. Sad.

Pollyanna 07-24-2011 01:42 AM

Agree about 27 and also that it's no surprise. It seems that if a person has uncontrolled drug habits then that's the age. Oddly enough, Keef is still kicking along in his late 60s but his self abuse seemed to stem from cheerfully unrestrained hedonism.

In the 27s club, people like Janis, Jim, Kurt and Amy stuck me as having a dark and willfully self destructive side ... tremendous natural talents too. She had a great voice and expression.

RIP Amy

Jeremy Bender 07-24-2011 06:27 AM

I hate to ask this, but who was she? ( Kinda revealing my age and out of touch with the modern music scene I guess. Hell, my stick bag is older than that girl.)

keep it simple 07-24-2011 11:57 AM

I feel sorry for her father. Apparently, he was mid Atlantic when her death was splattered all over the media.

There's countless stories about people trying to help her over the years. All efforts rejected, & usually in a high profile mocking manner. Her first album was superb in almost every way. As soon as the recognition roller her way, she went down hill. Her attitude to those seeking to help her, coupled with her complete disregard for the fans that put her on top, was a classic example of crash & burn waiting to happen.

Yes, it's sad, but she won't be the last. My thoughts go out to the few people who really loved her, despite her shortcomings.

aaajn 07-24-2011 12:57 PM

Lived in Seattle for a few years, there was a local DJ who made a point not to play Amy Winehouse, he said he felt he was enabling her by promoting her as a celebrity. That discussion generated a lot of controversy but I understand his point. I loved her music, thought she was one of the most soulful singers akin to Billy Holiday. There was something about her for me, thought she had an old soul. Well I guess her soul and her body are extremely old. 100% old as in that's it, she ain't getting no older.

Maybe she lived to be a ripe old age, maybe somebody like her has a life expectancy of two and a half decades max. Her life is complete. There are always predators out there willing to cash in. A lot of people made a lot of money off her. I am sure some went to the ends of the earth to try and help, some just took their cut and ran off.

Just think, this girl was rich and she couldn't get recovery. Some things you just can't buy at any price.

RIP AW

AtomicFlapjack 07-25-2011 12:00 AM

Of course it's terrible, but she bought it upon her self. Those people in Norway did nothing to deserve being shot or bombed. I hope they are mourned and not forgotten because of this.

larryace 07-25-2011 12:24 AM

It's easy to sit here and say, Oh she brought this all on herself.
She was tortured obviously.

A favorite quote:

"Great art is born of great pain"

Some people are self sacrificing. Brutal, really.

Thank you Amy, for what it's worth.

The quote is from Gomez Adams.

daredrummer 07-25-2011 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 869718)

Robert Johnson
Brian Jones
Jimi Hendrix
Janis Joplin
JIm Morrison
Kurt Cobain
Ron McKernan
Jean-Micheal Basquait
Freaky Tah
Amy Winehouse

Just about to say the same thing...
When I saw thread I thought, woah, another at 27???

Pretty weird...

shadowlorde 07-25-2011 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender (Post 869880)
I hate to ask this, but who was she? ( Kinda revealing my age and out of touch with the modern music scene I guess. Hell, my stick bag is older than that girl.)

i'm only 24 and have no clue who she is.. i'm gonna guess some pop idiot who was a waste of ear drum vibrations.

keep it simple 07-25-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowlorde (Post 870249)
i'm only 24 and have no clue who she is.. i'm gonna guess some pop idiot who was a waste of ear drum vibrations.

Wrong guess IMO. A great talent. Her first album was certainly one of the best things in pop over the last 10 years. The story after that album however, was just horrible, as were her performances.

joezack2003 07-25-2011 11:04 AM

so so so so sad.

she will be missed.

i once saw a paparazzi video of her bringing them tea when they were camped outside her house, she was a sweetie

someone quoted something on facebook which read something like:

those who's candles burn twice as fast's wick runs out faster

or too that effect.

thought this was very true with amy

but who am i to say - i didnt know her personally, i just knew her through the newspapers

Pollyanna 07-25-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joezack2003 (Post 870311)
someone quoted something on facebook which read something like:

those who's candles burn twice as fast's wick runs out faster

Would it have been "The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long" by any chance? If so, they picked that saying up from Bladerunner :)

There does seem to be something to those who live with such fierce intensity, but without the self-discipline and self-awareness to keep things from spiralling out of control.

Garvin 07-25-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 870274)
Wrong guess IMO. A great talent. Her first album was certainly one of the best things in pop over the last 10 years.

Agreed...............................

AlphaAccount 07-25-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowlorde (Post 870249)

I don't think so many drummerworld members would be offering condolences if she was just some pop idiot. She was one of few talented mainstream singers. Her album "Back to Black" was a throwback to that motown 1960's soul sound. Before that, she sort of did some jazzy stuff (not too familiar with her early music). A true original in today's world of pop music. I'd say that her work was comparable to someone like Raphael Saadiq, who's going back to retro 1960's sounds.

Unfortunately, she descended back into drugs and this is how everything ended.

harryconway 07-25-2011 06:34 PM

Well, the numbers/odds were not in her favour. Only 1 addict/alcholic in 10 (10%) makes it ... and the rest (90%) don't .... lousy odds .... RIP Amy ....

Deathmetalconga 07-27-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollyanna (Post 870317)
Would it have been "The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long" by any chance? If so, they picked that saying up from Bladerunner :)

There does seem to be something to those who live with such fierce intensity, but without the self-discipline and self-awareness to keep things from spiralling out of control.

I would modify it to say, "Those who take drugs with no self-control live half as long." Drugs tamp down the flame and kill it; they do not make it burn any brighter because the source of flame is passion, persistence, creativity, intelligence, ambition and inspiration and these things are inexhaustible.

For every extraordinarily talented drug addict that becomes famous, there are thousands of addicts with no talent who die in obscurity. For every extraordinarily talented drug addict who becomes famous, there are hundreds of artists and performers just as famous and talented who keep their lives together. I see no romance in the tortured artist stereotype, just waste and ridicule. People who choke to death on their vomit certainly don't serve as a role model, ideal or source of inspiration for me.

Joe Morello lived with fierce intensity and burned brightly into his 80s, a productive and influential figure in music for many decades. That's what I'm talking about.

Pollyanna 07-27-2011 10:37 AM

DMC, fair point that not everyone who burns with intensity need die young, DMC. Personally, I'd rather not focus on AM's habits - I'm more interested in some of those songs and her performances when she was fit.

In the broader scheme I don't think it much matters if we live to be 27 or 87, it's all just a sneeze in eternity. There are many ways to live a life. AM's way doesn't strike me as good strategy but who knows what goes on in other people's little noggins that drives them to do the things they do?