DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   No kit for 3 weeks :/ (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77189)

daredrummer 06-11-2011 06:28 AM

No kit for 3 weeks :/

I'll be saying goodbye to my kit for 3 weeks, going to an academic 3 week program and no large instruments allowed. Just my vics and my moongel for 3 long weeks...
Hoping to get at least 15 minutes of practice pad a day, preferably 30. But it's a busy schedule so I'm not sure how much time I'll have.

Maybe I'll have one of those weird awakenings where someone stops something for a really long time, then they come back and they're amazing!
Cross your fingers!

Skulmoski 06-11-2011 07:14 AM

Re: No kit for 3 weeks :/

Get a sturdy cardboard box and get to work with some brushes. You will be amazed at the fun you can have with this quiet little set up.

GJS

OnThisDaysDrummer 06-11-2011 07:23 AM

When my wife and I hit a rough spot financially we had to stay with her mom for a while. My drums were packed in a closet for two solid months. The only relief I got was going to guitar center one day out of those two months and cutting loose on some of their kits.

daredrummer 06-11-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skulmoski (Post 853387)
Get a sturdy cardboard box and get to work with some brushes. You will be amazed at the fun you can have with this quiet little set up.

GJS

Brushes on a box? I don't understand, how is this more effective than a practice pad?

caddywumpus 06-11-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daredrummer (Post 853389)
Brushes on a box? I don't understand, how is this more effective than a practice pad?

You can even do it on a piece of paper! It's great for having just a "little" texture to work on your brush sound/technique. If you really want to push your chops, try being musical on something perfectly smooth and hard like a mirror or marble countertop...

Fishbones 06-12-2011 07:13 AM

This is an uncanny coincidence -- I have the exact same situation coming up on Thursday - I'm going to China for 3 weeks and will be on a rigorous schedule with nothing but some sticks and a pad. I guess any advice given to Dare will be equally applicable to my situation. I was about to post a thread on it before noticing this. Go figure!

daredrummer 06-12-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishbones (Post 853764)
This is an uncanny coincidence -- I have the exact same situation coming up on Thursday - I'm going to China for 3 weeks and will be on a rigorous schedule with nothing but some sticks and a pad. I guess any advice given to Dare will be equally applicable to my situation. I was about to post a thread on it before noticing this. Go figure!

What's more interesting is we have the exact same number of posts! O_o
Well now I have one more since I posted again....

Quick post again so we're tied again!

Skulmoski 06-12-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daredrummer (Post 853389)

Never said it was more effective; just that this will give you a different dimension. No need to pack a practice pad, just brushes and get a box when you arrive at your destination. Try this at home to see if this is a direction you might want to explore.

Have a good trip.

GJS

Fishbones 06-12-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daredrummer (Post 853832)
What's more interesting is we have the exact same number of posts! O_o
Well now I have one more since I posted again....

Quick post again so we're tied again!

Really, really strange.

Too bad I'm not in Missouri...