DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Alex Van Halen (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757)

Drummer_Boy 07-23-2005 01:02 PM

Alex Van Halen
 
Hey there. Are there any Alex Van Halen fans? I truly think he's one of the greatest drummers of rock n' roll. What do you guys think of him, and his playing? He's definately one of my favorites. He's great in the song, "Hot for Teacher".

Alex Van Halen's page on DrummerWorld.

jamsjr44 07-23-2005 05:17 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
I will say Alex made some great contributions to rock drumming as far as making it popular, BUT when I saw him in concert a few times, he wasn't as skilled as the other rock drummers I had seen, Tommy Lee, Tico Torres, Greg Bissonette, Bobbi Blozter, Jason Bonham to name a few.

Speedy 07-23-2005 07:19 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Alex Van Halen is awesome! I am a fan of his as well. I rented the "Live Without a Net" DVD. I really enjoy watching them all, espically Alex. His drumsolo wasn't the best. I will admit that. But it was pretty good. Espically at the end where he really gets going. I'm not a fan of digital drums. But when I heard his digital drums, I thought they sounded pretty cool to me. He is the only exception with digital drums. Hot for teacher was a pretty cool on drums.

Why does he have those red tubes connected to his four kick drums?

XNIRVANAX 07-23-2005 08:19 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
hes pretty good i like him.. yes hot for teacher is cool i like his drumming in unchained pretty simple but i love it

DogBreath 07-23-2005 08:32 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
I first saw Van Halen in concert back in 1980 or '81. It was an amazing show, but everything was kind of lost in the shadow of David Lee Roth. Not that I'm complaining. He's a tremendous showman. Alex Van Halen was great way back then, and it's been interesting following his drumming from album to album.

I don't think that the band Van Halen gets enough credit for bringing rock and roll back into the mind of a world that was being hypnotised by disco.

http://www.angelfire.com/mac/keepitl...Halen/van8.jpg

"I look at Van Halen as social workers. What we're really doing is creating jobs for rock critics." - Alex Van Halen, Creem Magazine, May 1984

Drummer_Boy 07-23-2005 09:15 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DogBreath
I first saw Van Halen in concert back in 1980 or '81. It was an amazing show, but everything was kind of lost in the shadow of David Lee Roth. Not that I'm complaining. He's a tremendous showman. Alex Van Halen was great way back then, and it's been interesting following his drumming from album to album.

I don't think that the band Van Halen gets enough credit for bringing rock and roll back into the mind of a world that was being hypnotised by disco.

http://www.angelfire.com/mac/keepitl...Halen/van8.jpg

"I look at Van Halen as social workers. What we're really doing is creating jobs for rock critics." - Alex Van Halen, Creem Magazine, May 1984

You're very right, that they don't get enough credit. They really were the first in 1978 to bring good rock n' roll back, and kick Punk rock's and Disco's butt...altho I do like some Punk Rock. Also, I saw his solo in the 1983 rock festival, this DVD my uncle has, and it wasn't all that great, but pretty good. Mostly, he just hit a tom tom really fast...Also, David Lee Roth is hilarious.

Damon Dapper 07-23-2005 10:32 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Alex has come a long way as a Drummer in terms of his playing abilities, he's ranked as a solid rock&roll Drummer. His snare sound was his own (much like his brother's guitar) and we all came to know Alex as having the sickest drumsets around at the time. I think his best drumset creation ever made was the monster he built himself (with professional design guidence from Ludwig) in the "Jump" video. Its the Cadilac of drumsets in that its a true classic. And aside from its visual attractiveness, its a practical setup because all drums are reachable (mostly custom roto-toms) and the two outter bassdrums have speaker woofers & horn, inside them to boost the bass & low's of his live sound. The two inner bassdrums are played on and are of course the sound source routed out toward the other two outter bassdrums woofers. You can imagine the amount of amps going through the wires especially at their volume, and that explains the 2 fire extinguishers mounted on the outter bassdrums of his kit. You can see them by watching the jump video. I'm sure its obvious that this kit was (and still is) very inspirational to me, and others I'm sure........LOL

But yeah, Alex is the man!


Dap.

tylernator 07-24-2005 07:37 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Yeah Van Halen is my favorite band!!!! They have so many great songs!! It was pretty kool because when Sammy Hagar came too my town for a concert a couple of years ago(i was only 13)Me and my family went up too the front of the stage too get a better view, and sammy saw me and he waved for me too get on stage. So my dad picked me up and i got on stage with sammy and got rock out with em!!!

┼nyway, Alex is a great drummer!! He has that unique snare sound that stands him out from the other drummers...I dont think hes the best of all time at all, but overall i think hes a very good drummer that should get more credit in my opinion...The song hot for teacher is a awesome song, but i heard the beggning was over dubbed with extra bass drum or whatever too get that sound. Is that true??

Drummer_Boy 07-24-2005 09:47 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylernator
Yeah Van Halen is my favorite band!!!! They have so many great songs!! It was pretty kool because when Sammy Hagar came too my town for a concert a couple of years ago(i was only 13)Me and my family went up too the front of the stage too get a better view, and sammy saw me and he waved for me too get on stage. So my dad picked me up and i got on stage with sammy and got rock out with em!!!

┼nyway, Alex is a great drummer!! He has that unique snare sound that stands him out from the other drummers...I dont think hes the best of all time at all, but overall i think hes a very good drummer that should get more credit in my opinion...The song hot for teacher is a awesome song, but i heard the beggning was over dubbed with extra bass drum or whatever too get that sound. Is that true??

You know what? Sammy Hagar and Van Halen just got together, just to tell you. I missed it unfortunately. I really wish I coulda' seen that. I'm pretty sure in Hot For Teacher, he really did play that. Anybody with 3 years experience or so could probably play that, but I dunno' since I don't have that much experience :-p
Also, how does he get that snare sound? I'd probably try and tune my snare to be like that. It's really cool.

samuelsonmosley 07-24-2005 03:00 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Alex Van Halen is a very good drummer;his drumming on "Outta Love Again" (VAN HALEN 2)is amazing

rendezvous_drummer 07-27-2005 01:39 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
AMAZING DRUMMER! Hot for teacher is my personal favorite.

Bonzo 07-27-2005 06:22 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Quote:

I will say Alex made some great contributions to rock drumming as far as making it popular, BUT when I saw him in concert a few times, he wasn't as skilled as the other rock drummers I had seen, Tommy Lee, Tico Torres, Greg Bissonette, Bobbi Blozter, Jason Bonham to name a few.
HAHAHAHA!!! Tommy Lee? Tico Torres? Bobby Blotzer? For cryin' out loud! You need to get out and see some drummers, my friend!

Milo 07-27-2005 06:33 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
I've always liked his style and the licks he came up with. Mostly I like his sound. His drums and Paiste lineup always sounded great on the albums. That snare sound is killer! How much Ted Templeman had to do with that, I don't know.

CaptainCharisma2 07-29-2005 01:59 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
hahaha,you all now that Alex sampled the bass drum from and old billy cobham lick..he recorded it,and than hits a trigger and he plays over it.hes overrated and not even that good.

Stu_Strib 07-29-2005 02:51 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo
HAHAHAHA!!! Tommy Lee? Tico Torres? Bobby Blotzer? For cryin' out loud! You need to get out and see some drummers, my friend!

At least he posted Greg Bissonette!

And for Alex...ehh, nothing special. I particularly hate his custom drum era (the ones he built himself) because they sounded awful. His snare drum has to be one of the most annoying ever (exception, I forget the title, but "baby come on? come on baby finish what you started?). Cool snare part.

Hot for Teacher...ughh, not this argument again. Get a simmons pad, program it for that bass drum sound, play the opening pattern twice, then set the digital delay, then go into the double bass drum part. Its really not that hard.

Stu

CyclopseSlayer 07-30-2005 09:49 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
I think Alex has a pretty rad style, he definitely had an element of swing in his playing. Some of my favorite stuff of his is on "I'm the One" off their first record. That's a classic rock record for sure.

Stevis 07-30-2005 11:29 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
AVH is an incredable drummer, very fun to watch. I saw one video of him playing and I really thought he was a cool drummer from then on.

Scottylawton 07-31-2005 05:34 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy
Alex Van Halen is awesome! I am a fan of his as well. I rented the "Live Without a Net" DVD. I really enjoy watching them all, espically Alex. His drumsolo wasn't the best. I will admit that. But it was pretty good. Espically at the end where he really gets going. I'm not a fan of digital drums. But when I heard his digital drums, I thought they sounded pretty cool to me. He is the only exception with digital drums. Hot for teacher was a pretty cool on drums.

Why does he have those red tubes connected to his four kick drums?

I don't know if this is true or at all possible but i have heard he pumps air into his drums i think to get rid of some of the resonance. Thats all ive heard personally i don't think thats entirely correct but anywho.

CJdrumfan 08-03-2005 02:53 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
You mean Alex "Bochephus Bo-Halen" as he's referred to by Sammy Hagar in the Live Without a Net concert film? Alex Van Halen was a HUGE inspiration to me when I was a teenager, and still is. Great great drum and cymbal sounds... I personally really like the fact that he has put together some of the neatest drum setups ever! I love the one he had for the Fair Warning Tour (black and white striped Ludwig smoked vistalites), you can see it if you have VH-1 Classic during Rock Fest of Metal Mania shows... they sometimes show live clips for Unchained, Hear About It Later or So This Is Love?

One of the best at the "fast rock shuffle" feel (for lack of a better name). Everyone knows about Hot For Teacher, but check out Hang Em High... he is SO underrated because of his little brother (uh, what's his name again?)

Had the good fortune to meet him in '98 (yeah, Gary Cherone era, I know) and he was a very warm, nice guy, smiled a lot. I told him "I'm a drummer too". He said, "yeah, cool." and then I said, "you messed up my technique". He had a puzzled look on his face then I told him "all rimshots on the 2 and 4 backbeats from listening to you man!" (He got the joke) We shared a big laugh, posed for a picture then it was over. I have a very blurry photo due to poor lighting and a disposable camera. But man, was it ever great to meet one of my heroes.

ChrisD 08-03-2005 07:00 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Alex has been a big influence on me.I found after "1984" however that he started doing the same fills on all most of the albums.His best work was on "Van Halen 2" and "1984" I think.

Stu_Strib 08-03-2005 01:47 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisD
Alex has been a big influence on me.I found after "1984" however that he started doing the same fills on all most of the albums.His best work was on "Van Halen 2" and "1984" I think.

I think that is a pretty fair assessment. Actually a lot of us Van Halen fans really lost interest with Van Hagar. I think all those Dave albums were much different overall for the whole band, and not just because Sammy took over. With 5150 and OU812 (Hagar) era, they just went in a different direction. After that, I really just stopped listening. I would have liked to have seen them live with Hagar singing the early album stuff, since I like his voice better than Dave's, but for some reason, I'm thinking he wouldn't pull it off convincingly. Anyone seen Haggar sing the old stuff live?

I think Van Halen I, and 1984 are two of the best Rock and Roll albums ever recorded, not for the drumming, but just for the overall quality of most every song.

Drummer_Boy 08-05-2005 12:21 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
I think that is a pretty fair assessment. Actually a lot of us Van Halen fans really lost interest with Van Hagar. I think all those Dave albums were much different overall for the whole band, and not just because Sammy took over. With 5150 and OU812 (Hagar) era, they just went in a different direction. After that, I really just stopped listening. I would have liked to have seen them live with Hagar singing the early album stuff, since I like his voice better than Dave's, but for some reason, I'm thinking he wouldn't pull it off convincingly. Anyone seen Haggar sing the old stuff live?

I think Van Halen I, and 1984 are two of the best Rock and Roll albums ever recorded, not for the drumming, but just for the overall quality of most every song.

Actually, I have their "Best of Both Worlds" album, and it's great. Although, Sam Hagar doesn't do very good with the David Lee Roth songs. I think I just like Diamond Dave better. :-p Also, I'm pretty sure from the concert footage I've seen of the Reunion Tour, the only reason Van Hagar wouldn't do very good, is because, he just doesn't have the spirit and flamboyance of David Lee Roth. I still like Hagar though.."5150" was his best album with them. Also, I think I like "Women and Children First", second to "1984".

Stu_Strib 08-05-2005 01:52 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer_Boy
Actually, I have their "Best of Both Worlds" album, and it's great. Although, Sam Hagar doesn't do very good with the David Lee Roth songs. I think I just like Diamond Dave better. :-p Also, I'm pretty sure from the concert footage I've seen of the Reunion Tour, the only reason Van Hagar wouldn't do very good, is because, he just doesn't have the spirit and flamboyance of David Lee Roth. I still like Hagar though.."5150" was his best album with them. Also, I think I like "Women and Children First", second to "1984".

You don't think Van Halen I was the best ever????

Drummer_Boy 08-05-2005 07:52 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Well Van Halen 1 was very influential, it'd probably be my 3rd favorite album from Van Halen. It was pretty much the first rock album to just kick Punk and Disco's butt...I like all their albums though. =P

Stu_Strib 08-05-2005 02:30 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer_Boy
Well Van Halen 1 was very influential, it'd probably be my 3rd favorite album from Van Halen. It was pretty much the first rock album to just kick Punk and Disco's butt...I like all their albums though. =P

Along with Highway to Hell.

fusssion 08-05-2005 05:29 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Fair Warning is my favorite!

Mario Vincent 08-09-2005 09:09 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Who said Tommy Lee was better than Alex Van Halen, that was a joke right?

Anyways, I really think Alex is a good drummer, both in showmanship and musicianship.
A great example of his style is on the track Girls Gone Bad off of 1984.

I saw Van Hagar in concert and he did a little solo, not nessesarily the most inventive but technicaly I'd say it was pretty good.

Also, love love love his use of Rotos and those octoban thingys

He's not the greatest drummer every but Van Halen wouldn't have been half the band (or (guess 3/4) without him.

Drummer_Boy 08-09-2005 10:42 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
LOL yeah, I don't see how Tommy Lee could be better than Alex Van Halen. But, Tommy Lee is alright. He's just popular since he was in Motley Crue, a hair metal band in the 80's.

PearlDrummer014 08-10-2005 12:18 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
this guys reel good. i love his octobans on the dvd. really cool solo.

rodie 08-16-2005 10:20 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
solid rock drummer, definitely...hot for teacher, definitely his showpiece...roth vs hagar, love 'em both, for different reasons, (cherone, ummm....no). alex vs. tommy lee, tommy was more diverse in his chops, i think. apples and oranges, mostly.

one thing i don't care for is alex's signature over-wash, from all his cymbals. i say signature because i can pick out unfamiliar van halen tunes by it. that "wall of sound" crap should have died with phil spector's career....

hehe, read in an interview with eddie that he and alex switched places (alex was guitar player originally) because alex could play "wipeout" and eddie couldn't. what a different world it would be if it was the other way around eh?

JohnMunsey 08-16-2005 10:50 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Hot for Teacher was definitely a huge moment for Alex. People are STILL trying to figure it out. I just wish Alex did drum clinics!!

His solo on Live without a net is awesome.

midwestrecovering 09-10-2005 04:17 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen Reply:
 
I have always loved Alex's style and especially the huge customized Ludwig kits. Did you know that Alex actually started their career playing with a Tama Crystar "acrylic" drum outfit? Then eventually switched to Ludwig..Even though his main sets are Ludwig, he has used North Toms, even Straccotto toms as well just to give his kit a different sound plus the blend of a futuristic work. The octa-bons that he uses are very cool looking and sounding, were are made by Pearl. If you notice there is no Ludwig small classic lugs.
On ALEXS Black/White Pattern "F" Verical Bar Rainbow Vistalite set the you will notice a few of the larger drums (bass drums and few larger rack toms as you don't see the stripes on the inner side of the toms or bass drums) were coated with what they call Vibrafibing. It is a coating that help project the sound, reinforces the interior of the drum shell especiall when they have multiple seams like the Vertical Bar sets which I've repaired many from seam cracks and replacing several panels in various sized drums, it was design that was very attractive but it had some real problems with staying togather..I think they should have discarded it from production, but then, what other patterns could you have came up with? Some of the toms were originally double headed and some were not. I personally would like to know how they packed away those huge bass drums after a concert.
Alex uses a hammered brass and bronze 6.5"x14" Ludwig Supersensitive snare drum. He tunes it to what he calls the brown sound. Every drummer is different
...
Alex will always rock!!! - Don't knock the man - He is a musician not a superstar!!
Do you think it's easy comming up with different beats, solos, ect. for each new song or remember the older ones? Put yourself in his shoes. I don't think so....

Drummer_Boy 09-10-2005 06:03 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen Reply:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by midwestrecovering
I have always loved Alex's style and especially the huge customized Ludwig kits. Did you know that Alex actually started their career playing with a Tama Crystar "acrylic" drum outfit? Then eventually switched to Ludwig..Even though his main sets are Ludwig, he has used North Toms, even Straccotto toms as well just to give his kit a different sound plus the blend of a futuristic work. The octa-bons that he uses are very cool looking and sounding, were are made by Pearl. If you notice there is no Ludwig small classic lugs.
On ALEXS Black/White Pattern "F" Verical Bar Rainbow Vistalite set the you will notice a few of the larger drums (bass drums and few larger rack toms as you don't see the stripes on the inner side of the toms or bass drums) were coated with what they call Vibrafibing. It is a coating that help project the sound, reinforces the interior of the drum shell especiall when they have multiple seams like the Vertical Bar sets which I've repaired many from seam cracks and replacing several panels in various sized drums, it was design that was very attractive but it had some real problems with staying togather..I think they should have discarded it from production, but then, what other patterns could you have came up with? Some of the toms were originally double headed and some were not. I personally would like to know how they packed away those huge bass drums after a concert.
Alex uses a hammered brass and bronze 6.5"x14" Ludwig Supersensitive snare drum. He tunes it to what he calls the brown sound. Every drummer is different
...
Alex will always rock!!! - Don't knock the man - He is a musician not a superstar!!
Do you think it's easy comming up with different beats, solos, ect. for each new song or remember the older ones? Put yourself in his shoes. I don't think so....


Wow, you're more of an AVH addict than I am. LOL

DrumNut 09-10-2005 06:19 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Can Alex do a drum clinic?

Fish 11-05-2005 04:38 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
I must admit, AVH was definately one of my bigger influences in the 80's. Still is I guess.
He is in my top 5, along with Neil Peart (my No.1) , Bonzo, Jeff Porcaro and Tre Cool, all of them for different reasons, but that's a personal view, everyone's would & should be different, as is everyone's tastes.

I think trying to compare or rate one drummer against another is a waste of time and is unfair to the drummers in question. They aren't in competition with each other, they have to fit the band and the style of music they play.

As I live in Australia, I have only had 1 chance to see VH live, in 98, with Gary Cherone....yes....I know....what a mistake. But the band ROCKED, AVH was great, with EVH and MA going nuts together, truely amazing outfit.

Crazy 11-10-2005 03:48 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
AVH is a great drummer although we haven't seen him do astonishing chops or whatever, he is great for the music they play and sometimes comes up with sweet little patterns.

Undeniably the drumkit he had in the "jump" video was one of the best I've ever seen....better than Bozzio's in my opinion

mlehnertz 11-10-2005 04:29 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
I used to think the same thing about Bobby Blotzer but then I listened to a solo that he did for Yamaha and, believe it or not, he was actually very good. Not saying I like him more or less than Alex, but he's probably underrated as a player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo
HAHAHAHA!!! Tommy Lee? Tico Torres? Bobby Blotzer? For cryin' out loud! You need to get out and see some drummers, my friend!


TravisFans 11-10-2005 10:32 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Alex Van Halen Sticks ROCKS! 17 5/8'' long! whoa, just too long. but i love to play with these sticks!

Thinshells 11-10-2005 10:51 PM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy
AVH is a great drummer although we haven't seen him do astonishing chops or whatever, he is great for the music they play and sometimes comes up with sweet little patterns.

Undeniably the drumkit he had in the "jump" video was one of the best I've ever seen....better than Bozzio's in my opinion

Actually his 1984 album has some great chops. I have seen him live, and he can do plenty. There are not too many drummers you could name in the rock world that Alex could not equal. And that means double kick work as well.

cdawg_2010 12-19-2005 01:39 AM

Re: Alex Van Halen
 
I love his solo on "Right Here, Right Now". Even though it might not be the best solo ever, i think its a good one because he shows how tecnical he can get and i like it for that reason that hes not trying to show off just showing what he can do


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com