DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   tap, tap, tap... (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75233)

daredrummer 04-23-2011 07:22 AM

tap, tap, tap...
 
Got just about everyone at school to hate me today by working on my double bass fills and grooves during class.

Totally worth it.

Anyone else got any stories where people have just lost it when when you're drumming with your hands/feet at school or work or whatever?

razorx 04-23-2011 02:36 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
If I practice (try to anyways) rudiments on the kit ( I still can't play ANY of them after over ten years) my dad will flip out. I think it's kind of funny at times. He will be like what the hell are you doing back there!!! And he's a drummer too.

Frost 04-23-2011 02:46 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
Neighbors dislike blast beats.

I rarely ever touch my sticks, I use brushes for next to everything practice wise.

LeftoverPenguin 04-23-2011 05:30 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by daredrummer (Post 832369)
Got just about everyone at school to hate me today by working on my double bass fills and grooves during class.

Totally worth it.

Anyone else got any stories where people have just lost it when when you're drumming with your hands/feet at school or work or whatever?

Not so much a story, but yeah, I'll be tapping at work or when I was at school and people would shoot me an irritated or angry glare because they are trying to concentrate or work or whatever. So I'll stop, but then I won't realize I've started again. All of a sudden I'm getting the glare again.

THC 04-23-2011 05:40 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
My wife just had spinal disc fusion surgery day before yesterday. I was sitting in her room both before and after the surgery working on my heel/toe technique on the shiny floor. ba-bump ba-bump ba-bump ba-bump ba-bump. The nurses in there tending to her were giving me the look. One kept looking at me like my ba-bump was like raising my hand to ask a question.

I finally just stopped as it seemed to be causing a mild distraction for everybody but me.

Pollyanna 04-23-2011 06:10 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
About, um ... many ... years ago my band was playing in the music room at my parents' place. One of my neighbours was bipolar and pretty flaky. Dad knocked on the door and said, there was a woman screaming outside.

So I walk out and there's this neighbour screaming and crying from over the fence (thankfully a tall brick wall). I made placating sounds like "Okay we'll stop. Sorry sorry sorry". Meanwhile the singer's telling her to chill out and that we're not doing anything wrong and I'm telling him to shut up, since I had to live next to this person.

Painful!

Okay, it was after 10 and we got a bit carried away. I thought we were rocking pretty damn well but the audience wasn't so keen lol. Probably didn't help that I played a helluva lot back then - I guess it was just one tap too many and she cracked ... whoopsy.

daredrummer 04-23-2011 09:39 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftoverPenguin (Post 832524)
Not so much a story, but yeah, I'll be tapping at work or when I was at school and people would shoot me an irritated or angry glare because they are trying to concentrate or work or whatever. So I'll stop, but then I won't realize I've started again. All of a sudden I'm getting the glare again.

yeah that's what happens to me lol.

8Mile 04-23-2011 10:26 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftoverPenguin (Post 832524)
Not so much a story, but yeah, I'll be tapping at work or when I was at school and people would shoot me an irritated or angry glare because they are trying to concentrate or work or whatever. So I'll stop, but then I won't realize I've started again. All of a sudden I'm getting the glare again.

Hahaha. Yeah, this is me, too.

inneedofgrace 04-25-2011 04:57 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
I drive my wife absolutely insane when I bang on the steering wheel while we're driving somewhere. It's also an issue when we're sitting quietly in church and my legs are constantly moving to imaginary double bass fills. I physically restrain my legs with my hands, but it only stops for a little while and then they are right back to doing it again. I need help! LOL

tml_fan_5@hotmail.com 04-25-2011 05:33 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
There have been a few times where i will be tapping my feet or hands at school and some crazy b!+ch will be like "quit it!!!" and im sitting there thinking, well i am practicing and you are sitting there doing nothing, so i am going to be productive!

crookedtbeats 05-02-2011 10:46 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
I tap everywhere except at church lol

aaajn 05-03-2011 12:36 AM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
I was in Iraq for a year and sat a desk in a hospital. Since I was "administration", my job was to listen to complaints and get supplies in for the staff. I had a HQ pad and a couple of 5A's. One particular individual used to bug the crap out of me, spent a good deal of my day yelling at the lass, it was good exercise. But then I started doing Single Paradiddles when she would talk. I would listen politely and LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR. She would talk for 20 minutes, seemingly without breathing and I would listen, nod my head, make eye contact....

Have no idea what she said, I would just drum, smile and appear to listen.

mediocrefunkybeat 05-03-2011 12:49 AM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tml_fan_5@hotmail.com (Post 833302)
There have been a few times where i will be tapping my feet or hands at school and some crazy b!+ch will be like "quit it!!!" and im sitting there thinking, well i am practicing and you are sitting there doing nothing, so i am going to be productive!

To be honest, I would've probably have done exactly the same thing as her. They're not crazy, it is genuinely irritating.

brady 05-03-2011 01:51 AM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat (Post 836936)
To be honest, I would've probably have done exactly the same thing as her. They're not crazy, it is genuinely irritating.

Exactly.

I'm all for practicing whenever possible but when you have a good chance of annoying others with it, just don't.

You just end up looking like a spazz that can't control him/herself or an inconsiderate jerk...or both. Neither is good for improving the already less than stellar reputation of drummers.

jingscrivenshelpmaboab 05-03-2011 06:13 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
I dont do it in company, because its right up there with the most irritating things in the world, like crabs and sunburn.

I have regular meetings in work, where there are about 3 other drummers at the table, and they all tap, and when I tell them to can it, I always get 'Why do you care, your a drummer?!'

larryace 05-03-2011 06:23 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
I think it makes people look foolish when this is done in public. Embarasses the family. I don't like to announce that I play drums. I don't wear Zildjian shirts and hats and try not to be a stereotypical drummer. I save it all for practice and gigging. I'll warm up my hands and wrists on my steering wheel on the way to a gig to warm up, but I'm alone.
A lot of people have Neanderthal-ish preconceptions of drummers and I don't care to perpetuate that image. I really don't talk about drumming at all to my 3D friends. I get that fix here.

mediocrefunkybeat 05-03-2011 06:54 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
Larry, most of my friends are musicians and I rarely talk about drums to them either. It's not actually very interesting if you're not a drummer and sometimes it's not even interesting when you are a drummer!

Pkaneps 05-03-2011 07:31 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
Yeah, my wife is gonna chop off my legs one of these days, I'm constantly tapping both hands and feet. Sounds good when I do it, but someone else does it and it drives me crazy...but when I stop I start again without realizing it too. If drumming was medicine, It's like a side effect.

inneedofgrace 05-03-2011 09:47 PM

Re: tap, tap, tap...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 837230)
I think it makes people look foolish when this is done in public. Embarasses the family. I don't like to announce that I play drums. I don't wear Zildjian shirts and hats and try not to be a stereotypical drummer. I save it all for practice and gigging. I'll warm up my hands and wrists on my steering wheel on the way to a gig to warm up, but I'm alone.
A lot of people have Neanderthal-ish preconceptions of drummers and I don't care to perpetuate that image. I really don't talk about drumming at all to my 3D friends. I get that fix here.

I try to control myself and only do the tapping when I'm alone. I wonder if people outside my office can hear me doing double bass pedal fills right now?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com