DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Chris Adler (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738)

Speedy 07-22-2005 09:30 PM

Chris Adler

I just bought the Lamb of God cd Ashes of the Wake two days ago, and his drumming is awesome. Very complex stuff. Very creative with the music. Fills in the pocket very nicely. I think he could take on Joey Jordison. Anyone else listen to them?

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Chris_Adler.html

LiquidSoul546 07-22-2005 09:57 PM

Re: Chris Adler

I dont' listen to them as a fan. I particularly don't like that style. But this drummer is the man at it. He's prolly my fav. in that category of music. He most definatly could match up to Joey. He has such odd timings. My friend listens to them, that's how I know of this guy. Plus he's been in modern drummer. He did a clinic thing right?
peace

Speedy 07-22-2005 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidSoul546
. He did a clinic thing right?
peace

I think so, he was at MD Fest "05.

TubbyDrummer18 07-24-2005 12:22 AM

Lamb of God is by far one of the top ten metal bands out right now. All because of Chris Alder. His double bass strokes are extremely strong and quick. Great Drummer!

Jaymasta 09-06-2005 01:29 AM

Chris Adler

This guy is a monster behind the kit I really like his playing in Lamb of God there an amazing band. He looks very relaxed sometimes when he plays he deosn't really look like a hard hitter either. He's a great drummer very fast. And all this talk on Joey Jordison and Chris I would love to see those guys in a drum battle....what do you guys think?

Speedy 09-07-2005 02:25 AM

Chris Adler is an amazing drummer. Very gifted musician. I love how he learns and song in Lamb of God. He will keep listening to the song and find the right thing to play and not make it a showoff way. Everything he does is amazing and goes right with the song. His my favorite drummer next to Bonham. He was also the band manager for 8 years and played with them during the same time. Brilliant.

Speed

Tyrnox 09-07-2005 02:57 AM

I also have the latest Cd, it's pretty freaking awesome, good solid drumming, Alder is very good. However I can't say I like the older cd's much, the music on it might be good but the sound is terrrriiibblle...

dredheaddrummer5 11-20-2005 04:45 PM

Chris Adler

Chris Adler is one of the greatest styles of drumming ive ever heard.He is a very big influence on how i drum. Im working on Laid to rest...its pretty tricky

Zirar 11-22-2005 04:16 AM

Chris Adler is an awesome drummer, and although Laid to Rest is easy, it's a lot of fun to play. The Faded Line is a lot of fun to play too, you should check that one out.

Tutin 11-22-2005 06:38 PM

Yeah he's awesome. I have ashes of the wake. It's just nothing different from most metal drummers though. It's starting to get to me how samey metal is these days.

Magic Maple 11-27-2005 09:19 PM

I love his drumming style, and he plays Mapex!!!! I find his beats to be very punchy, give a good battering sound :p

zildjian_dude101 11-28-2005 03:41 PM

Yep, Lamb of God is awsome, and Alder just makes it THAT much better. Crazy fast drummer. I like the faded line a lot.

Jaymasta 11-29-2005 04:00 AM

I like Chris he just an all out crazy drummer and ever since I heard him I plan on practising Double Bass. Like seriously this guy playshis drums ALL DAY just to get better.

DMNofDSTRCTN 12-19-2005 12:23 PM

Adler is an awesome drummer, very inovative style and unique beats, crazy beats in Purified.

Symbolic 12-20-2005 08:43 PM

Chris is a good drummer, but I think their are alot more innovative metal drummers out their. His band is big right now and he is a decent drummer so his popularity is exploding right now same thing happened with Lars but look what he turned into. He has some cool things in his music but he cant always pull it off. When I saw him live last March he couldnt pull of half the cool accents and fills.

giant_mtb 01-08-2006 05:03 AM

Chris Adler is one of my drumming heros. His drumming is complicated enough that it's pretty challenging, but it's still simple enough that I can play along with it. Some of his drumming is way out of my league, though. Lamb of God is one of my all time favorite bands.

hold-the-groove 01-09-2006 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Maple
I love his drumming style, and he plays Mapex!!!! I find his beats to be very punchy, give a good battering sound :p

yes punchy! thats the word i'm looking for. I think something that helps with this punch is the contrast of sounds in his rythms. For example, using ear-piercing bells quarters or eighths, while pumping out an ultra even double bass groove. I havent noticed that much snare work as of yet, i think this may add to his beats' punchiness.

mikei 01-10-2006 12:21 AM

I just got his Lamb of God live!

The music is top notch if you are into that "Power / Thrash" metal. However, their singer is absolutely the worst singer I have ever heard. I cannot believe that a band with that talent would use such a crappy singer. They would be much more popular if they got a singer with even a minute bite of talent.

However, Chris is a great drummer. I bought the dvd just for him.

antvez 01-10-2006 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikei
I just got his Lamb of God live!

The music is top notch if you are into that "Power / Thrash" metal. However, their singer is absolutely the worst singer I have ever heard. I cannot believe that a band with that talent would use such a crappy singer. They would be much more popular if they got a singer with even a minute bite of talent.

However, Chris is a great drummer. I bought the dvd just for him.

I think the singer is perfect for the band. He has improved his growls immensly with their latest album. You can understand what he is saying unlike their previous albums where it sounded like he was just screaming.

my charts 01-10-2006 07:29 AM

I think its true that Lamb of God sounds like a bunch of other bands, but you've got it backwards. If you'll do your research, quite a few of the bands playing that style of metal came after Lamb of God (burn the priest in early days) and members will openly admit Lamb of God being one of their single biggest influences. As for their singer, I think that he fits their style very well. If you don't like the way he sings, then I'm suprised you like the band.

promark010 01-11-2006 10:02 PM

yea his voice on New American Gospel made the words almost impossible to understand, but from then to now he fits the band really well in my opinon, they have really solid chemistry overall

promark010 01-12-2006 03:59 PM

the faded line on ashes of the wake has some sick drumming

Derek Matthews 01-12-2006 04:09 PM

I think he is the reason lamb of god is as big as they are.

Tutin 01-12-2006 05:59 PM

The singer seems a bit of a bastard in the NYGSTDF video. Maybe because he's drunk. I must say I prefer Chimaira to Lamb of god. Andols Herrick was awesome and Kevin Talley is great.

\m/cornholio\m/ 01-13-2006 09:01 PM

I have that MD '05 Fest DVD, and I highly suggest everyone get it as soon as availability and/or finances allow(not everyone will drop $50 for a DVD).

Chris's clinic part was great, but his warmup on the special features part is my favorite thing he does on it.

I also own As the Palaces Burn, Ashes of the Wake, and the Killadelphia DVD. All are pretty much 9.5 out of 10 (the singer erks me a little bit).

As far as Chris as a drummer is concerned, I'd say he's good. His patterns are really creative and always fit the song. (May have something to do with the fact that he and his little brother, Willie, are the core of the songwriting process for the band.)

Really great in general. Great Drummer, Great Band. Great Music.

Ony 01-16-2006 10:59 PM

I don't really mind him and I think what he does with his kit sounds cool because it complements both high and low end; but whenever I listen to him, I hear more of the same stuff in each song, bell rides and double bass. He's good at what he does, but I think it would be nice to hear more. If I've got the wrong idea, feel free to give me reason to think differently. =^D

zildjian_dude101 01-17-2006 07:28 PM

He is very good. He's not all based all around speed either, which is rare for a metal drummer these days.

yes 02-03-2006 05:21 AM

Chris Adler

Cris Adler is probably the best metal drummer in my opinion. He has an awsome stlye, is fast and articulate w/hands and feet, and the stuff he makes up for Mark and Wills riffs are genius and they fit perfectly with the song. if u can get good video quality on your computer you should check out the videos of him on this website.

Jeff Almeyda 02-03-2006 10:08 AM

He was actually a bass player in the beginning, Just started learning the drums in college.

Creative parts... uses his chops to the maximum. He is not the fastest nor does he have particularly great hands but he sounds great. A musical drummer and I respect him

His drum sound doesn't really do it for me though. A 12" snare drum!! Sounds like a toy. And his kicks sound too tight and fake to me.

Jeff Almeyda 02-03-2006 01:42 PM

I've never seen him live, I'd be into checking him out.

I saw his MD fest video and he nailed his parts very cleanly, nice.

Stu_Strib 02-03-2006 01:50 PM

He's very fluid and solid. The only other guy that looked more comfortable blasting away for their 45 minute set was Corey Pearce from God Forbid.

DruManiac19 02-03-2006 06:16 PM

great drummer with a great attitude. and there's no doubting his drumming skills , great footwork.
lamb of god has some super riffs. adler's sense of phrasing is brilliant
best of luck to him and the band.

tambian89 02-14-2006 04:56 AM

Chris Adler is very skilled drummer. I especially like his style of time keeping; too many drummers either go with a very simple style or a very complicated style, but Adler finds a way of maintaining a good amount of dignity behind the kit and tries not to fall in either of these directions. And how can you not respect a man who looks like a young Gandalf the Grey?

- Marc

hookedup 03-24-2006 02:13 PM

I think he's an extremely solid drummer, I just for some reason don't get excited when I hear him playing. I've seen them live and, as someone stated earlier, he couldn't pull off everything live. It was a major disappointment.

As for the complex part structure, I was a Meshuggah-head in high school, so I guess Lamb's part structure and variety don't strike me as being that out-of-the-ordinary.

thinkintriplets 03-24-2006 06:55 PM

As The Places Burn is my favortie Lamb of God CD. The drumming in every song just kicks like crazy. "For Your Malice" for me is the song you just have to listen to before playing hockey, or any other sport. It moves your blood.

thinkintriplets.

Battered Sausage 03-31-2006 02:24 PM

I dunno why it is, But i'm just not a fan of Adler. He's in very real danger of becoming overratted.
Suppose I should watch MD fest 05 again and check him out.. His brother's guitar playin is sick tho..

hateplow 03-31-2006 02:44 PM

He is incredibly technical and has great interdependance. He's a real "thinking" drummer, and seems like a pretty down to earth guy as well.
He's one of the few guys I know of who plays metal on a Mapex.

TAMAmetaldrummer 04-08-2006 08:31 PM

Chris Adler is the man. Very good and talented drummer. He is personally on my top 5. The band is also amazing as well. A good song by them is Blood of the Scribe. He does a good job playin that song. Look up the video of Chris and Willie playing it on drummerworld.com. Amazing band.

cdawg_2010 04-08-2006 08:33 PM

i think chris adler is very good, but i hate the singer from lamb of god. i think he riuns the band

mikei 04-11-2006 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdawg_2010
i think chris adler is very good, but i hate the singer from lamb of god. i think he riuns the band

I agree that the singer is absolutely horrible.

I still listen to them a lot due to the drumming and guitar riffs.

They need to get a singer like Chuck Billy of Testament or something.