DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gene Hoglan (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69811)

Frost 12-14-2010 03:59 AM

Gene Hoglan
 
Just wondering if anyone listens to him, some cool staccato beats and grooves on the new Fear Factory album.

He has done some fantastic drumming with Townsend as well, I'll have to find some links when I have more time.

LukeSnyder 12-14-2010 05:16 AM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost (Post 775904)
Just wondering if anyone listens to him, some cool staccato beats and grooves on the new Fear Factory album.

He has done some fantastic drumming with Townsend as well, I'll have to find some links when I have more time.

Don't forget that he's also the drummer for Dethklok, hahaha :D

LukeSnyder 12-14-2010 05:19 AM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
Here's a cool clip of him that I ran across from his DVD, "The Atomic Clock." I find it somewhat humorous how he gives a nice, calm, soft spoken commentary over top of his insane playing! Also, the cowboy boots simply make the whole thing, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xj22IDB2J4

regular john 12-14-2010 05:20 AM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
I admire his drumming in Strapping Young Lad.

I don't even listen to metal that much, but for some reason Strapping Young Lad really gets me going!

Ekim 12-18-2010 03:56 AM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
I hear ya, regular john.

SYL's "Alien" is the only CD I've ever become frightened of listening for the first time. That and "The New Black" are just awesome.

Gene's a monster.

Blankso 12-18-2010 09:06 AM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
He probably has to be me favorite metal drummer.

Frost 12-18-2010 03:00 PM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ekim (Post 777378)
I hear ya, regular john.

SYL's "Alien" is the only CD I've ever become frightened of listening for the first time. That and "The New Black" are just awesome.

Gene's a monster.

Agreed, he gets around a fair bit as well, he appears on a lot of different projects.

Found a pretty cool video of him improvising a drum solo live due to technical difficulties,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEyEYN9ij3s

HOUSTON 94 12-24-2010 09:34 PM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
I love his style when he recorded with Death. Very cooool.

Fuo 12-24-2010 09:37 PM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HOUSTON 94 (Post 780203)
I love his style when he recorded with Death. Very cooool.

+1. Symbolic and ITP are the only hoglan CDs that I have (I think, maybe one of the newer Fear Factory CDs that I have is Hoglan). I still prefer Human (Reinert) tho (probably the first death metal CD I ever got into).

IKONOS 12-25-2010 03:23 AM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
Been admiring Gene's drumming since his day's in Dark Angel back in the 80's. Considered him the next best thing to Dave Lombardo back then.

Frost 12-27-2010 08:32 AM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IKONOS (Post 780279)
Been admiring Gene's drumming since his day's in Dark Angel back in the 80's. Considered him the next best thing to Dave Lombardo back then.

I like Lombardo, I don't love Lombardo. He deserves praise, but a lot of casual metal fans consider him the greatest drummer of all time. He is good, he pioneered a few things, but kids calling him the best metal drummer of all time is quite a stretch. Pete Sandoval played in the same period, but much better if you ask me, not many people bring him up when you mention pioneering metal drummers.

paistemage 01-14-2011 08:40 PM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
Hoglan-symbolic and itp are my favorite albums. im not a big syl fan. pete is amazing too bad he isnt going to be on the new album, back surgery.

Frost 01-15-2011 10:23 AM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by paistemage (Post 788899)
Hoglan-symbolic and itp are my favorite albums. im not a big syl fan. pete is amazing too bad he isnt going to be on the new album, back surgery.

Yeah, Morbid are touring here in a few weeks without him, it is a shame but I will be going anyway, they are a classic band and criminally under-rated.

Back on topic, does anyone own Gene Hoglan's instructional dvd the atomic clock? I have only seen snippets of it on you-tube which are more focused on showing off his playing.

paistemage 02-19-2011 05:14 PM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
Death- individual thought patterns

"overactive imagination," or anything on that album. His stuff with Dark Angel is great too.

Not a big fear factory fan.

SYL: ok, some good parts, not my cup of tea, but great drum parts.

Weights, steel toes and fast playing= gene hoglan.

i didn't notice right away I already responded.

No I don't have his dvd, but I am sure it is good from what I have seen.

paistemage 02-19-2011 05:39 PM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
today is the day, morbid angel and motorhead. On the formulas fatal to the flesh tour.

Good show

Algorithm 02-21-2011 05:51 PM

Re: Gene Hoglan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by paistemage (Post 804708)
today is the day, morbid angel and motorhead. On the formulas fatal to the flesh tour.

Good show

That is an interesting lineup.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com