DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67007)

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 01:10 AM

Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Since I was a young child I have had a problem with big chunks of tomato in my spaghetti sauce.
I like big chunks of meat, other vegetables, or anything else in my sauce.
I just can't stand big chunks of tomato!
Am I alone in the world?

caddywumpus 09-18-2010 01:14 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I'm not a fan either. Stewed tomatoes that come in a store-bought sauce are the worst, too. Ugh...there's just something about them that makes me shudder!

azrae1l 09-18-2010 01:25 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
your not alone. i can't stand any kind of cooked tomato. raw or nothing....

GRUNTERSDAD 09-18-2010 01:34 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I like a slice of tomato on a sandwich but as far as cooking tomatoes other than to make sauce, yuck. Stewed, cooked, I have no need for them.

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 01:40 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
There is no Jar sauce that I like.
I have to make my own.
I par boil the tomatoes, I peel them. I then put them into my blender and I let it rip until the tomatoes are smooth.
Only then can I make my sauce.

The smooth sauce that comes in a jar doesn't have the big chunks of meat and other veggies that I like.
I have tried adding to them, but the flavor just isn't there.

The sauces that come in a jar that do have big chunks of meat and veggies, also have big chunks of tomato in them.
If I put those sauces into a blender, The chunks of the things that I like disappear!

That is why I have to make my own.

Bo Eder 09-18-2010 01:44 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I bet if your avatar made them for you it'd be even better!

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 01:49 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 745883)
I bet if your avatar made them for you it'd be even better!

I bet that it would too.

brady 09-18-2010 02:48 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 745862)
Since I was a young child I have had a problem with big chunks of tomato in my spaghetti sauce.
I like big chunks of meat, other vegetables, or anything else in my sauce.
I just can't stand big chunks of tomato!
Am I alone in the world?

I've always hated spaghetti sauce in my chunks of tomato...


Actually, I'm not a fan of tomato chunks either. Then again, I'm a very picky eater.

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 02:57 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brady (Post 745917)
I've always hated spaghetti sauce in my chunks of tomato...


Actually, I'm not a fan of tomato chunks either. Then again, I'm a very picky eater.

I guess so!
So I take it that you don't like tomato sauce?
Are you human? LOL

larryace 09-18-2010 03:05 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
You can send all your unwanted tomato chunks to me. Mmm gimmee a big bowl of them steamin' chunks.

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 03:08 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 745925)
You can send all your unwanted tomato chunks to me. Mmm gimmee a big bowl of them steamin' chunks.

I figured that you would be the one that liked tomato chunks in his sauce!

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 03:10 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I can't wait to see what Chef Jay and Chef Polly has to say.

larryace 09-18-2010 03:16 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I don't wanna be hearing no chunk hate here fellas. Don't make me come over there. Cmon, it's closer to the natural form! Mamby pambys!

Better include this just in case... :)

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 03:19 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 745931)
I don't wanna be hearing no chunk hate here fellas. Don't make me come over there. Cmon, it's closer to the natural form! Mamby pambys!

Better include this just in case... :)

Oh, go and and tighten up your reso heads some more, Will ya!

Pollyanna 09-18-2010 03:22 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I'm with Larry - I like tomatoes. They often find their way into my salads, soups or steamed veggie creations ... I cook the same way as I drum - no frills! I don't see the prob with stewed tomatoes, especially if there's cheese involved. I didn't like them as a child but that was a long time ago ...

What bugs me is poor texture - undercooked potato and bananas that are not ripe enough to be nice and soft. IMO bananas should be tuned JAW

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 03:24 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollyanna (Post 745935)
I'm with Larry - I like tomatoes. They often find their way into my salads, soups or steamed veggie creations ... I cook the same way as I drum - no frills! I don't see the prob with stewed tomatoes, especially if there's cheese involved. I didn't like them as a child but that was a long time ago ...

What bugs me is poor texture - undercooked potato and bananas that are not ripe enough to be nice and soft. IMO bananas should be tuned JAW

My banana has been tuned at Jaw for many years now!

larryace 09-18-2010 03:30 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I like bananas. I even like the word. ba na na. It's fun, isn't it? They taste best when the first brown spots appear. I had 3 today.

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 03:34 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Larry, after my last post you're freaking me out man!

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 03:36 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
How did a harmless thread about tomatoes turn into a thread about bananas?
I blame Polly!

Pollyanna 09-18-2010 04:54 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I very fussy about bananas. If they aren't exactly right then I'm not interested.

They need to have black spots on them so they are nice and mushy ...

brady 09-18-2010 05:48 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 745921)
I guess so!
So I take it that you don't like tomato sauce?
Are you human? LOL


I like tomato sauce alright (and ketchup), but I actually don't like tomatoes. Figure that one out...

Told you I was weird.

con struct 09-18-2010 05:54 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
When you make tomato sauce you have to peel the tomatoes and slowly cook them with a little olive oil, and I mean slowly. It can take awhile. The classic Sunday Gravy takes all day to cook. The tomatoes need to break down. Chunks of tomatoes in tomato sauce is disgusting, it's just not right at all.

Tomato sauce is nothing to laugh about, it's nothing to be taken lightly. It's damned important. I know this because my first wife was Italian. She could definitely make some good sauce but, man, her mother could cook food that would would make you swoon.

Sunday at my mother in law's house was a very big deal. Damn, the food that came out of that kitchen!

Tomato sauce is not to be taken lightly.

Migaluch 09-18-2010 06:40 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I love stewed tomato chunks! The store bought kind or anything in a store bought sauce aren't any good, but have you guys ever had chili with big chunks of stewed tomatoes in it? Fresh, steaming chili mmmmm.

Now what i can't stand are mushrooms!!! Fungus=nasty!

Fuzrock 09-18-2010 08:00 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brady (Post 745977)
I like tomato sauce alright (and ketchup), but I actually don't like tomatoes. Figure that one out...

Told you I was weird.

I'm right there with ya, bro. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Homeularis 09-18-2010 09:14 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I love everything.
Hmmm, I must be hungry.

MikeM 09-18-2010 11:10 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Tomato chunks don't bother me at all. They add texture.

Are you chunk haters that way about mashed potatoes too? I like chunks there too. I'm not as crazy about potatoes (or tomato sauce) that can be ingested via straw or beerbong....

larryace 09-18-2010 02:19 PM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Eww lumpy potatos?
Well I guess if I like chunky tomato then I shouldn't be freaked out about lumpy potatos.

Bob after re reding your JAW banana thing I just got it.

They have pills for that.

This is the best thread in a while

Pollyanna 09-18-2010 02:44 PM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
The secret is Rosemary. No, not that's not the name of a chickadee avatar, that seem to be springing up around here like weeds (I blame Bo and lArry for egging him on) ... I mean the herb - tomatoes with Rosemary - it works.

Lumpy gravy anyone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apTPXPBMBXk

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 04:03 PM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by con struct (Post 745980)
Tomato sauce is not to be taken lightly.

100% agreed!
It is serious business.
I am not Italian, but I grew up in an Italian neighborhood.
I learned to respect the tomato and the grape at an early age.

When I don't have time to peel my own tomato's, I find that the crushed canned tomato's from Contadina are OK for a quick sauce without chunks.

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 04:07 PM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 746033)
Tomato chunks don't bother me at all. They add texture.

Are you chunk haters that way about mashed potatoes too? I like chunks there too. I'm not as crazy about potatoes (or tomato sauce) that can be ingested via straw or beerbong....

Same way about mashed, There had better not be any chunks in my mashed spuds!

Tomato chunks in chile are OK, because the texture of the beans allows for this. Same with salsa, small chunks are ok in salsa, no large ones though!

bobdadruma 09-18-2010 04:40 PM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
When my son returned from Afghanistan, one of the first things that he asked me was if I would make my home made sauce.
I used to make sauce once a week for my kids when they were young.
I guess that it made an impression on them.

Derek 09-18-2010 08:01 PM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 746080)
Same way about mashed, There had better not be any chunks in my mashed spuds!

Tomato chunks in chile are OK, because the texture of the beans allows for this. Same with salsa, small chunks are ok in salsa, no large ones though!

I like tomatoe chunks, but beans are not welcome in my chili - this is no place for beans!
(He says with a smile)

Homeularis 09-19-2010 09:13 PM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Ok, I dont like everything.

I cant take Caraway and Fennel seeds... VILE WEEDS!.

bobdadruma 09-19-2010 09:33 PM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeularis (Post 746446)
Ok, I dont like everything.

I cant take Caraway and Fennel seeds... VILE WEEDS!.

Me too, I hate them!
I hate them as much as I hate big tomato chunks and flavored vodka!
An Appletini! What crap!
I also hate Sushi! Fish should be cooked!

Fiery 09-19-2010 10:54 PM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I'm by no means a fussy eater, but I will never support putting sugar (or sauces with significant amounts of sugar) on meat.

bobdadruma 09-19-2010 11:04 PM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I never add sugar or salt to any food that I prepare.
I don't even add sugar to coffee.
I regard sugar and salt as bastard spices that do not enhance the flavor of food. They only disguise the taste.
If you add enough sugar or salt to dog crap it would probably taste good!

Homeularis 09-19-2010 11:42 PM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
No Salt?.
Yeah, you lost me there. Salt is an absolute must. Almost always.

Or maybe you lost me with the dog crap.

No, I think both.

Plus, Sugar definately has its places and In some sauces in small quantities its good.

bobdadruma 09-20-2010 12:27 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeularis (Post 746498)
No Salt?.
Yeah, you lost me there. Salt is an absolute must. Almost always.

Or maybe you lost me with the dog crap.

No, I think both.

Plus, Sugar definately has its places and In some sauces in small quantities its good.

Many years ago I slowly cut out adding salt and sugar in the food that I prepared.
I soon began to notice that food that I didn't prepare tasted sweet and/or salty.
This is because processed food almost always contains salt or sugar because it is a cheap and easy way for food companies to make food taste good.
I now only buy low salt and low sugar products when I buy processed food.
I have adapted to a low salt and sugar diet and taste preference.

The practice of salting and sugaring food began as a means to preserve food back when refrigeration was not invented.
It is no longer needed today.
Restaurants add tons of salt, sugar, and butter to their food because people think that it taste good that way.
I only eat in restaurants that prepare diet food.

If you do as I did and you slowly cut salt and sugar from your diet you will feel the same way.
You will learn how to experience the real wonderful taste of food as it should be.

Migaluch 09-20-2010 04:04 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
I like my cake without any sugar at all. I call it bread. I'm going for that "not modified" taste as well.

bobdadruma 09-20-2010 04:21 AM

Re: Big Chunks Of Tomato In Tomato Sauce
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Migaluch (Post 746565)
I like my cake without any sugar at all. I call it bread. I'm going for that "not modified" taste as well.

Yes, I eat cake and sweets sometimes.
I also eat salted potato chips sometimes. Every now and then I have a Hamburger with Fries!
The thing is that I eat sugar and salt in moderation.
When everything that you eat and drink is loaded with added salt and sugar then it becomes a problem. Same goes for fat.
Americans are the fattest people on earth!
We also lead the world in diseases that are associated with over consumption of Salt, Sugar, and Fat!

I buy bread that has low salt and sugar in the dough.
Many breads are loaded with salt and sugar.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com