DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Rick Astley anyone? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66496)

genericdrummingusername 09-03-2010 09:55 PM

Rick Astley anyone?

I'm putting my reputation as a somewhat-contributive poster on the line for this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgUrqGFxV3Q

Paul Quin 09-03-2010 10:44 PM

Re: Rick Astley anyone?

If its good its good! I knew Rick years ago and he was a truly great and humble guy. A great voice and, despite being a victim of the "bad-pop" 1980s I have always thought he was good. He recorded with some great guys who remain fairly anonymous on his earlier recordings. He did some demos in LA with Jeff Porcaro and others. My favorite tune was always this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRfP...eature=related

Love the drum break which starts at 3:05.

Paul

GRUNTERSDAD 09-03-2010 11:37 PM

Love the voice. I remember years ago David Letterman asked, "Who is the little guy with the booming voice?" He can project without screaming.

Bo Eder 09-04-2010 12:47 AM

I do a couple of Rick Astley's tunes when I do my solo act, I love that guys voice, and the audiences seem to dig it. At least they all get up to dance, anyway.

He's like spam in a way. People say they hate that stuff, but somebody's eating it because it still sells!

zildjank09 09-04-2010 01:07 AM

I did like this guys voice but i must say his pop songs were never that great, but one song that always remember all the words to was Never Gonna Give You Up.. (maybe shouldn`t have admitted to that one)

genericdrummingusername 09-04-2010 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 740956)
I do a couple of Rick Astley's tunes when I do my solo act, I love that guys voice, and the audiences seem to dig it. At least they all get up to dance, anyway.

He's like spam in a way. People say they hate that stuff, but somebody's eating it because it still sells!

Who's that in your avatar?

Pollyanna 09-04-2010 02:23 AM

Funny ... I'm sure I can hear drums, bass and keys on that track but I can't see them.

Oh well, I guess they don't matter ...

Bo Eder 09-04-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genericdrummingusername (Post 740969)

Who's that in your avatar?

Talk with Larryace. He has an unhealthy infatuation with the girl in my avatar!

Zickosdrummer 09-05-2010 12:58 AM

Isn't it time to change that avitar? We neen some new (yes, I said NEW) picks!

Bo Eder 09-05-2010 01:07 AM

OK. I'll prepare a new one.

GRUNTERSDAD 09-05-2010 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 740956)

And sell it does. Wow

Homeularis 09-05-2010 08:39 AM

Wheres the band?.
And yes, "Never Gonna Give You Up" is The Jam!.

Pollyanna 09-06-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 741245)
OK. I'll prepare a new one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 741267)
And sell it does. Wow

While I may be older than both of your avatar gals put together I'm still feeling very frumpy by comparison!

Yeah Homeularis - where's the band??

keep it simple 09-06-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Quin (Post 740933)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRfP...eature=related

Love the drum break which starts at 3:05.

Paul

Yeah, good tune, & certainly at the quality end of the RA spectrum. Agreed on the change in drum vibe. I do like it when a song is 2/3rds reserved, then resolved with a snappy back beat. Nice lift.

Pollyanna 09-06-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 741621)
Yeah, good tune, & certainly at the quality end of the RA spectrum. Agreed on the change in drum vibe. I do like it when a song is 2/3rds reserved, then resolved with a snappy back beat. Nice lift.

I missed that link. Much better - a band that is both seen and heard. Drumming is super-crisp with great tone and, dare I say it, he's a real hottie (sorry, he gave me no choice).

It's the kind of song my band would cover ... if it had been written 50 years earlier :)

keep it simple 09-06-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollyanna (Post 741623)
dare I say it, he's a real hottie (sorry, he gave me no choice).

Ok Pol, think I've got a handle on your taste. This guy reminds me of Peter Cox (Go West)

Pocket-full-of-gold 09-06-2010 02:43 PM

I've somehow missed this thread. A fact for which I should have been eternally grateful.
But no, I decided to look.........

I'm going to bed now......too stunned to speak.

The horror, Drummerworld. The sheer horror!

keep it simple 09-06-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 741629)
I've somehow missed this thread. A fact for which I should have been eternally grateful.
But no, I decided to look.........

I'm going to bed now......too stunned to speak.

The horror, Drummerworld. The sheer horror!

Next week, I'll post a metal version of "Pinky & Perky", & a deep blues cut of "The Wombles". Actually, especially for you Pocket; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz2eiaP3yug

Pollyanna 09-06-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 741626)
Ok Pol, think I've got a handle on your taste. This guy reminds me of Peter Cox (Go West)

I don't know of Peter West, Andy ... but basically, if a person is male, half my age, isn't shaped like an obelisk and doesn't dribble then I'll probably be thinking "eye candy" :)

keep it simple 09-06-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollyanna (Post 741640)
I don't know of Peter West, Andy ... but basically, if a person is male, half my age, isn't shaped like an obelisk and doesn't dribble then I'll probably be thinking "eye candy" :)

Peter Cox (Go West), c'mon Pol, get with it. One of the greatest male pop voices of the 80's, and another cool money beat application http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9s9vmrJkV8&ob=av2n

Pollyanna 09-06-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 741681)
Peter Cox (Go West), c'mon Pol, get with it. One of the greatest male pop voices of the 80's, and another cool money beat application http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9s9vmrJkV8&ob=av2n

Andy, I'm so out of date I don't play music less than 40 years old ... but I do remember that clip. Good pickup - Peter Cox does look a lot like RA's drummer! Great look but I normally end up with men who are more like this ...

That song link stunk BTW, right up there (ie. down there) with the initial RA link, despite the pumpin' money beat :)

keep it simple 09-07-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollyanna (Post 741811)
Andy, I'm so out of date I don't play music less than 40 years old ... but I do remember that clip. Good pickup - Peter Cox does look a lot like RA's drummer! Great look but I normally end up with men who are more like this ...

That song link stunk BTW, right up there (ie. down there) with the initial RA link, despite the pumpin' money beat :)

Argghh, got that damn oops page broken message. I'm assuming the image wasn't exactly steamy!

Paul Quin 09-07-2010 07:57 PM

It is actually appropriate that this thread is on Drummerworld. The story I have been told is Rick Astley got his break when a record company became interested in his band and came to see them play in Manchester. The A & R guy told them that he loved the band but hated the singer, and could any other member of the band sing. The drummer said he could sing and demonstrated his talent to the A & R guy. The band was then promptly forgotten and the drummer signed and groomed. Rick was the drummer for the band, which if my memory serves my right, was called FBI.

Paul

keep it simple 09-07-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Quin (Post 742071)
It is actually appropriate that this thread is on Drummerworld. The story I have been told is Rick Astley got his break when a record company became interested in his band and came to see them play in Manchester. The A & R guy told them that he loved the band but hated the singer, and could any other member of the band sing. The drummer said he could sing and demonstrated his talent to the A & R guy. The band was then promptly forgotten and the drummer signed and groomed. Rick was the drummer for the band, which if my memory serves my right, was called FBI.

Paul

Now that is interesting. Where did you hear that? I wonder if there's anything recorded of Rick on drums?

Bo Eder 09-07-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 742098)
Now that is interesting. Where did you hear that? I wonder if there's anything recorded of Rick on drums?

I heard Phil Collins played drums in the early days too. They also got rid of that hack singer they had too. ;)

Meat the beat 09-07-2010 11:06 PM

I got a great live video (!!) recording of Rick singing live with a load of great Muso's at a Princes trust gig sometime in the 90's... he's great - always loved the guy they called "the white-man with the black-man's voice" one of those acs that would sound great with a modern contemporary sound behind his vocal, I think.

Go Rick!!

Paul Quin 09-08-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 742098)

Its been a while but I was told that story by a guy called Tops Henderson who is Rick's manager and one of the owners of a small label under the Sony umbrella (Phonogenic). Tops was a road manager for years and is well known and well respected in the industry as a straight shooter. He has been managing Rick since the early days of his career.

Paul

eddiehimself 09-08-2010 04:49 PM

I heard this on BBC breakfast a couple of months ago and remember thinking it was a really good song. Unfortunately we missed him in Hull last weekend because we were in Sheffield :(

Pollyanna 09-09-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Eder (Post 742108)
I heard Phil Collins played drums in the early days too. They also got rid of that hack singer they had too. ;)

Oh yeah. That Peter Gabriel no-talent! :) When he left Genesis, so did I. No, I lie - I liked Trick of the Tail. It was when they finally decided to build a nest egg for old age that I lost interest ... no, I'm lying again because Abacab was a fantastic track.

No offence to Rick, who is a fine singer, but if you put "gh-" in front of his name ... :)

Woz.275 09-18-2010 12:26 AM

never could stand rick ashley,