DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Songs that totally rock out (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64319)

Pollyanna 07-07-2010 02:55 PM

Songs that totally rock out

I just listened to Tommy Bolin's Post Toastee. From 6:28 the song goes right off and by 7 1/2 mins I felt an almost irresistable urge to shake my head as I sit at my PC. If you can do that to an ageing woman then you're really rockin' :)

What songs do that to you?

Pkaneps 07-07-2010 04:55 PM

Re: Songs that totally rock out

Every Them Crooked Vultures song.

Especially around 2:43 of No One Loves Me & Neither Do I.

GRUNTERSDAD 07-07-2010 05:04 PM

Goodbye to you.
Patty Smythe

jon e rotten 07-07-2010 05:30 PM

Brainless
by The Urge

Electric Worry
by Clutch

People of the Sun
by Rage Against the Machine

jwildman 07-07-2010 05:45 PM

A few songs by Otep really just take me...
Breed (A cover by Nirvana)
Blood Pigs
Sepsis
Hooks and Splinters

Oh and especially the song A Looking In Veiw by Alice In Chains. Every time I hear that I can't help but headbang at how brutal it is.

zambizzi 07-07-2010 06:33 PM

05 (aught-five) by Clutch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyDK1eDzNnE

It even has banjo...wicked-awesome. Listen to that groooooove!

Fuo 07-07-2010 06:34 PM

Way too many... But the first thing that popped into my head when I read the thread title was:

Hole in the Sky - Black Sabbath

brady 07-07-2010 07:09 PM

Another "banjo" song that totally rocks is 'Losin' Your Mind' by Zakk Wylde's earlier band, Pride and Glory.

larryace 07-07-2010 07:48 PM

Rock out huh?

"Down The Road" by Kansas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApGw7G9vLHU

bonzolead 07-07-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuo (Post 720460)
Way too many... But the first thing that popped into my head when I read the thread title was:

Hole in the Sky - Black Sabbath

yes "hole in the sky" or "system of the universe" sabatage is one of the most under-rated sabbath albums of all time.

for me it's either "heartbreaker" or "when the levee breaks" by Zep even too this day when I hear the intro it still send chills, I more bias to "when the levee breaks" the greatest recorded drum track ever................IMHO of course LMAO.

Bonzolead

Fuo 07-07-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzolead (Post 720495)
yes "hole in the sky" or "system of the universe" sabatage is one of the most under-rated sabbath albums of all time.

Definitely agreed, I've always loved it. Well Side A anyway... Side B is kinda meh. And why is it, whenever I hear Symptom of the Universe, live or covered, no one ever does that awesome funky acoustic part at the end? That's the best part...

Hercules 07-08-2010 01:01 AM

"A Thousand Days of Yesterday"

by Captain Beyond - rock out in 7/8 - great song

Derek 07-08-2010 02:37 AM

"Fire" - Jimi Hendrix

"Higher Ground" - both Stevie Wonder and RHCP versions do it for me. Just two off the top of my head.

Coldhardsteel 07-08-2010 02:40 AM

I'd post songs, but I get the feeling they're all stuff nobody would listen to.

Don't mind me, I'll just sit here in my corner listening to Slipknot.

BassDriver 07-08-2010 04:58 AM

Chameleon by Herbie Hancock kinda makes you rock-out in a kinda relaxed way on the inside...

...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBkoxR6eSQU

Malti 07-08-2010 04:10 PM

"Black Betty" Ram Jam, circa 1970's some time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNM85CPRcKQ

"Will it go Round in Circles" - Billy Preston
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un63LEAN22E

motojt 07-08-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pkaneps (Post 720432)
Every Them Crooked Vultures song. Especially around 2:43 of No One Loves Me & Neither Do I.

GOD! DAMN! RIGHT!!! I was just about to post the exact same thing. Every time it gets to that part, right before Josh goes, "Uuh!" I crank that shit up. No way I can keep still. It's literally the most perfect part of any song I've ever heard.

Also:
A Song For The Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age at 3:12.
Freedom Run by Kyuss at 2:21.
Manic Depression by The Hendrix Experience at 2:36
Purity by Slipknot at 2:45

This last one doesn't really rock out, but I still love it:
Between the Lines by Sara Bareilles at 3:20

EDIT: I just saw your post, Steelie. Don't worry, I don't think Slipknot is entirely frowned upon just yet. :p

Ian Williams 07-08-2010 07:15 PM

I agree brother.

Black Sabbath's Sabotage album is great! Symptom of the Universe has that catchy riff guitar from Tony Iommi, is excellent.

Well you know as much as I do - Led Zeppelin is Led Zeppelin. I like "We're gonna groove", the way Bonham rides the Bell!!!

+ Deep Purple: Smoke on the water, Space truckin', Highway star, Mandrake root, Fireball, Speed king, Living wreck, Wring that neck, Hush.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzolead (Post 720495)

for me it's either "heartbreaker" or "when the levee breaks" by Zep even too this day when I hear the intro it still send chills, I more bias to "when the levee breaks" the greatest recorded drum track ever................IMHO of course LMAO.

Bonzolead

bonzolead 07-08-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 720812)
I agree brother.

Black Sabbath's Sabotage album is great! Symptom of the Universe has that catchy riff guitar from Tony Iommi, is excellent.

Well you know as much as I do - Led Zeppelin is Led Zeppelin. I like "We're gonna groove", the way Bonham rides the Bell!!!

+ Deep Purple: Smoke on the water, Space truckin', Highway star, Mandrake root, Fireball, Speed king, Living wreck, Wring that neck, Hush.......

Yes Ian I knew you liked "were gonna groove" great song if you get a chance check it out on the Led-Zeppelin DVD the Royal Albert Hall concert that's where they recorded that track.

Just too let you know "smoke on the water" was the first tune I sang as a child (2 yrs. old) even as much as like Bonham I gotta say Ian Paice was my first influence.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Paice (5) times and never been disappointed.
funny story: Deep Purple was playing at Pine Knob a outdoor amphitheater up here in Michigan and a guy from the audience was trying too get on stage and almost did but Ian Gillian hit that guy in the face with his Mic a Shure sm58 I believe you could hear the smack over the PA..........too cool LOL

I know you like the Ian Gillian years with DP but did you like any DP after Ian Gillian? I always like the David Coverdale years also. I love "Burn" now there is a tune that totally rocks out some of Ian Paice's best drumming IMO that whole album is killer.

Keep swattin"
Bonzolead

Abel 07-08-2010 10:50 PM

I just downloaded the free House of Heroes song "Independence Day For A Petty Thief" via http://www.freehoh.com

You need to have a twitter account to get the song, but its freaking balls rocking. The bass guitar slays me, in a good way. Plus its brand spanking new, the full album isn't even out yet.

MikeM 07-09-2010 02:16 AM

Another vote for Them Crooked Vultures, but for me it's Reptiles, man I love that intro! Just sooo cool!

And now I'm gonna throw out two by The Mars Volta since I can't seem to stop listening to them:
1. Teflon (from Octehedron) coolest 4/4 pulse that feels more like a 3, 3, 2 grouping. Very slick. Oh, and Cotopaxi.
2. The Bedlam in Goliath (pretty much the whole record).

I know there's been a bit of controversy on this topic recently, but I'm gonna do it anyway:

Thomas Pridgen is not only the BEST drummer on the planet, he's also the COOLEST.

(oh man, that was fun! hehe!) Is there anyone who has this much fun when they play? He makes me laugh my ass off!

I was just reading the other day that he's left handed but plays righty on a righty kit (like Stewart Copeland, hmmm). No wonder he has such a strong bite. He pushing me more and more in the open-handed direction because I'm increasingly thinking that that's what gives you that bite - having the dominant hand nailing those back beats with zero Bonham-esque slop (at least that the effect it has on me when I play open-handed).

witchcraftery 07-09-2010 02:42 AM

Any Mars Volta tune. They are my all time favorite band for their ability to 'jam' live and recorded.

Viscera Eyes, Roulette Dares, Ouroborous, Cotopaxi.

ChipJohns 07-09-2010 02:59 AM

Renegade
STYX

But you must crank it up..!

Masheanhed 07-09-2010 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzolead (Post 720839)
I always like the David Coverdale years also. I love "Burn" now there is a tune that totally rocks out some of Ian Paice's best drumming IMO that whole album is killer.

Keep swattin"
Bonzolead

BURN is one of my favorites. Especially the version from Made In Europe.

motojt 07-09-2010 04:44 AM

I have to add another one that I somehow forgot until now.

Elephants by Them Crooked Vultures at 1:02.

I love how they tend to do the opposite as far as "bringin' it." Just like with No One Loves Me... they have a light, but fast build-up then BAM! A focused explosion in slow motion.

jjmason777 07-09-2010 06:27 AM

Heavy - by Collective Soul

SOGdrummer 07-09-2010 09:32 PM

One of the very varied on the IPod during this mornings walk...Crazy On You, Heart...great guitar intro and then just rocks out (for me anyway)...

Pollyanna 07-10-2010 02:30 AM

Yeah Derek - Jimi's Fire was great RnR. It was always a great one to get the crowd going with one of my old bands.

A few more - Lou Reed's Rock and Roll has a middle section where the guitar is approaches a bit like a "banjo". Bass solo under the banjo guitar at around 6mins is a killer. Then at 7:30 there's a blistering guitar solo. There's a lot you can do with two chords!

This clip of the Chilli Pepper's Suck My Kiss feels like a hymn to hedonism. These are not boys you take home to mother!

And this thread isn't complete without RATM's Killing in the Name. Always loved the builds at around 2:20 and 3:50. It just goes off.

brady 07-11-2010 06:46 AM

One of my current favorites...Another Roadside Tragedy - The Black Crowes.

Drums101 07-12-2010 03:26 AM

Calm like a Bomb

Rage Against the Machine

bonzolead 07-12-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masheanhed (Post 720967)
BURN is one of my favorites. Especially the version from Made In Europe.

yes I agree I also like "Stormbringer" from those DC Deep Purple years another sweet tune.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

BassDriver 07-13-2010 02:29 PM

Flood by Tool, after Maynard goes "This changes everything"...

Geri Attrique 07-14-2010 02:17 AM

Jerk of all Trades by the Lunachicks! I have been lovin' the Lunachicks a lot lately!

Gethsemane 07-14-2010 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollyanna (Post 721351)
And this thread isn't complete without RATM's Killing in the Name. Always loved the builds at around 2:20 and 3:50. It just goes off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drums101 (Post 721937)
Calm like a Bomb

Rage Against the Machine

I probably play both once a week!

Hysteria by Muse is a great song on drums and bass

also

Set the Ray to Jerry by the Smashing Pumpkins is very unique. It's a b-side but it should have been on an album. =(

Fuo 07-14-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 720935)
1. Teflon (from Octehedron) coolest 4/4 pulse that feels more like a 3, 3, 2 grouping. Very slick. Oh, and Cotopaxi.
2. The Bedlam in Goliath (pretty much the whole record).

How is Octehedron? The reviews I read said it was TMV's "ballad" album and that kinda turned me off to it 'cause i was never crazy about the slower TMV songs (except The Widow which is awesome, and maybe a few others). But seeing a song from it in a "Songs that Rock" thread is making me rethink that...

Squirltech 07-14-2010 05:46 PM

A song that I always have to turn up and just rock out to is...

Lenny Kravitz - Are you gonna go my way

Especially at the bass solo. To me, this song is it!

bonzolead 07-14-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollyanna (Post 721351)
Yeah Derek - Jimi's Fire was great RnR. It was always a great one to get the crowd going with one of my old bands.

A few more - Lou Reed's Rock and Roll has a middle section where the guitar is approaches a bit like a "banjo". Bass solo under the banjo guitar at around 6mins is a killer. Then at 7:30 there's a blistering guitar solo. There's a lot you can do with two chords!

This clip of the Chilli Pepper's Suck My Kiss feels like a hymn to hedonism. These are not boys you take home to mother!

Hey Polly if you like "Rock & Roll" by Lou Reed you should have a listen too the version by "Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels" I like LR version but the MR version is more Rocked Out IMO of course.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

andSometimesY 07-15-2010 08:16 PM

"Take Your Time (Coming Home)" by fun.

fun. is a great band that I think most people would enjoy. They aren't the type to normally "rock out" as most of their songs are of the catchy "nod-your-head" type, but the last track on their debut album (the only one so far) is one of the best jams I have ever heard.

Also, I agree that the last half of "Flood" by Tool rocks pretty hard.

ChipJohns 07-15-2010 09:19 PM

"Don't Stop Me Now" QUEEN

denisri 07-16-2010 03:03 AM

One of the bands I work with is a Doors Cover Band. LA Woman "Totally Rocks Out" Denis