DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Do your pets like your drumming? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62321)

jwildman 05-14-2010 02:55 AM

Do your pets like your drumming?

I have two cats and a dog and none of them do. The cats will run in terror whenever I play my hihats or chinas and my dog just won't go down in my basement because of all the noise coming from there. Do you guys have any pets that'll chill with you when your jamming?

con struct 05-14-2010 03:11 AM

Re: Do your pets like your drumming?

One of my cats will hang around while I'm practicing. She seems to like jazz. The other two haul ass out of the music room as soon as I sit down behind the drums.

Neil 05-14-2010 01:37 PM

I was always abit worried about effecting my cats hearing, it's a lot more sensitive than ours. So I shut him in a different room, now I only use a pad in my new flat so it's not as bad. It's just a little annoying when he tries to get on my lap or attack my sticks while I'm practicing.

A-customs 05-14-2010 01:51 PM

My 10 year old dog doesnt mind it as much as she used to..Getting older guess she cant hear like she used to,But she does get out of the den when i start to play.

JPW 05-14-2010 01:53 PM

Our cats sleep when I drum. I guess the repetetiv patterns puts them to sleep. =)

nolonx 05-14-2010 02:45 PM

My cat used to run away like hell when I had the kit in my house :)

dairyairman 05-14-2010 03:12 PM

i play an electronic kit at home. one of my cats hates it, but the other one sits on the table next to the kit while i'm practicing and meows like crazy whenever i stop.

jon e rotten 05-14-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by con struct (Post 700103)
One of my cats will hang around while I'm practicing. She seems to like jazz. The other two haul ass out of the music room as soon as I sit down behind the drums.

Does the one that hangs around stare down her cat nose at the other two? :)

RogerLudwig 05-14-2010 04:42 PM

My dog Toby leaves the room as soon as the first stroke hits a drum head. Every once in a while he'll run into the room between songs with a rubber ball and try to get one of us to play with him. Maybe he's just trying to make us quit.

Found My Wings 05-14-2010 10:47 PM

Right now I have my kit (yup, MY OWN KIT!) in my living room and have noticed that my dog will do one of two things. She will either high tail it to the door or lay down and watch me. I guess it just depends on her mood!

My bird however has always tweeted to music, if she can be louder than the music then she really goes for it! So when I am playing the drums upstairs, she tries to drown me out!

Deathmetalconga 05-14-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PermaNoob (Post 700110)
Barney the one-eyed bassedor thinks it's OK, doesn't care hat much one way or the other

Franklin the Corgi/Alsatian LOVES drumming. Despite our discouragement, he likes to put his nose on the reso heads (sometimes in a bass port) likes to grab the kick beater (for which he gets a mallet on the head) and will regularly tip over my snare or just put his front legs up on my lap and watch
if he doesn't get to play (we yell at him b/c we are trying to work something out) he either grabs a toy and tries to may the drums play with him or askes to go outside and run in circles

all with a big doggie smile

I used to have a corgi who would lay down in front of the bass drum when I played. Corgis are apparently a strange breed!

Skulmoski 05-15-2010 11:50 AM

My Abyssinian cat loves to be in the same room when I drum. He finds a sunny spot and sleeps. I mostly play congas and other hand drums now so the dynamics are narrow and not too loud.

GJS

Fishgopop007 05-15-2010 12:17 PM

I had 2 birman cats until 1 died about 2 weeks ago, and they both hated it, the surviving one still hates it sometimes, and sometimes will just do a runner out of the house asap :P

George.

eddiehimself 05-15-2010 01:50 PM

I'm sure my dog doesn't like my drumming but then again i hate his barking so it all works out really :)

Monica McCoy 05-16-2010 06:28 AM

I have mute on my drums and the dog comes and lays next to my floor tom when I play. She hates the crash cymbals though so I just groove and fill when she's there.

crdirtRider856 05-16-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishgopop007 (Post 700623)
I had 2 birman cats until 1 died about 2 weeks ago, and they both hated it, the surviving one still hates it sometimes, and sometimes will just do a runner out of the house asap :P

George.

Sorry to hear about your cat man. Definitely sux losing a pet. My one orange kitten would crawl through the hole in my bass drum and sleep on the pillow. Well one time I sat down and first thing I hit was the bass drum... he freaked out and was bouncing around trying to find his way out. I felt so bad but after that he would either try playing with the beater as I played or lay on the couch and watch. I loved that kitten, but he escaped and I never found him.

The current dog and cat absolutely HATE when I play. Oh well... I dont like em too much either. The dog pees on my stands and the cat hates me and everyone else. And she stinks. LOL

aydee 05-16-2010 06:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)

what do you think?

Attachment 33839

ANIMALBEATS 05-16-2010 07:08 AM

My pet panda and catapiller just love it, and they often join on on maracas and triangle respectivley

Nodiggie 05-16-2010 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
haha

Was pinging along on my new ride just yesterday and the little fella starting singing along, howling away. Yeah, he likes it. He runs and hides under the bed at the sight of the vacuum cleaner though.

crdirtRider856 05-16-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aydee (Post 700873)

what do you think?

Attachment 33839

That you re left handed and have a beautiful dog... And that if I was a dog I would use my super-sensitive hearing powers to my advantage.

Not quite sure what advantage that would be, but I would be the first dog to play everything in perfect tuning and brag about it to all my doggie friends. Then bitch about how some dogs have bigger kits than mine... or why I cant do triplets because opposable thumbs are "over-rated".

Maybe I would just lay there and enjoy life as it is... And feel bad for dogs that have nothing. And then enjoy some table scraps and lay down, comfortable and warm. And if that damn cat comes near me I m gonna bark and chase it away....

PopsOldSkins 05-16-2010 05:21 PM

My dog sleeps right threw my drumming. Good thing she's def.haha

zephead19 05-16-2010 06:03 PM

My dog hates when I drum haha. If he is ever in the basement with me when I'm playing he usually starts frantically barking and I usually have to stop.

HOUSTON 94 05-16-2010 09:15 PM

When I had a blanket in my bass, my cat would climb through the port and sleep in it during the cold months. I recently got new heads and lost the blanket. But, as for when I drum, the second he sees me or my band members near the drums, he leaves.

drummydude 05-16-2010 09:19 PM

My German Shorthair lays right behind me when I'm playing. The cat on the other hand runs for the hills.

mrchattr 05-17-2010 12:52 AM

My chihuahua hates it all, except for quiet hand drums. My turtles LOVE my drumming, If out of their cages, they will RUN right over to the kit (run being a relative word, here, though they are significantly faster than you would think), and just sit there bobbing along.

bog_72 05-18-2010 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishgopop007 (Post 700623)

George.

Aww man thats a drag,sorry to hear you lost a friend.my cat bolts under the bed whenever I as much as grab the sticks.when I play my guitar through the amp,shes fine with my riffs.Just lay there all content,but as soon as I tear into some soloing,she gives the amp a good stare,and jumps up on our lofts railing.Protesting my chops I guess...Pffft what does she know!! :)

zildjank09 06-06-2010 12:25 AM

My Rabbit likes my playing!!.. It seems to get very excited when i start to play.

joeysnare 06-16-2010 03:25 PM

my guitarest's pomerainian (how ever you spell that) has a stuffed rabbit that he wrongs on a very regular basis, when ever i drop into a part with long 16th note double bass passages he'll drag mr bunny in front of the bass drum and hump him like theres no tommorow lol....sick lil bugger makes me feel dirty for playing drums.

Fiery 06-16-2010 10:32 PM

My cat tends to decide it's cuddling time whenever I start swinging the sticks around, which is somewhat annoying as she is by no means that big on cuddling in general. I only have a practice pad kit at home though, I've no idea how she would react to the actual drums.

Pkaneps 06-18-2010 08:29 PM

One of my cat looks at me like he's going to kill me whenever I even sit back there, and leaves when I start. The other one is usually really skittish and runs when she sees people, but finds it fun to jump up on my lap in the middle of playing and she always makes me miss something. Maybe she's taking action against it.

Fuo 06-18-2010 08:52 PM

My adult cat (10 yrs) takes off upstairs and sleeps in the bedroom whenever I play. Just got two kittens a few weeks ago, they don't seem to care. They'll just sleep on the couch in the next room.

Teddy 06-19-2010 01:29 AM

Man don't get me started. My dog will bark his head off until i kick him out and close the door. He is not a fan i guess. :P

con struct 06-19-2010 02:04 AM

Many years ago I lived in a house with another drummer and a percussionist. The two of them would often play together, drum kit and congas, just jamming, playing for the fun of it.

We had a big old tom cat named Otis living with us, and Otis would go up and sit on my housemate's bass drum while he and the percussionist were playing. He'd just sit there, on the bass drum right under the ride cymbal, while all this drumming was going on. It was quite an amusing thing to see.

ChipJohns 06-19-2010 02:53 AM

Awful Story.

I was about 18 years old (back in 1979/80) and some friends came over to jam in my (parents) basement. I had just graduated and still lived at home.

No one was home but me and the guys. My sister, who was about 12 at the time, had a hamster. I hadn't notice but the singer/guitarist set up his Twin Reverb right next to the hamster's cage which was sitting on the floor.

Poor little thing. After everyone left my sister noticed he was laying there shaking. We picked him up and just held him that evening. he was dead by the end of the night.

I felt so bad...

larryace 06-19-2010 03:33 AM

The moral of this story: Drummers prefer cats over dogs 2 to 1.

jwildman 06-19-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 713818)
The moral of this story: Drummers prefer cats over dogs 2 to 1.

Thats what I'm starting to pick up. I figured there would be alot more dogs with drummers. Although I am kind of the exact ratio, I have one dog (sort of) and two cats

jwildman 06-19-2010 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipJohns (Post 713807)
Awful Story.

I was about 18 years old (back in 1979/80) and some friends came over to jam in my (parents) basement. I had just graduated and still lived at home.

No one was home but me and the guys. My sister, who was about 12 at the time, had a hamster. I hadn't notice but the singer/guitarist set up his Twin Reverb right next to the hamster's cage which was sitting on the floor.

Poor little thing. After everyone left my sister noticed he was laying there shaking. We picked him up and just held him that evening. he was dead by the end of the night.

I felt so bad...

Dude I feel ya. Back when I had guinea pigs, one of my friends put the little guy in my bass drum and started pounding on it. I had to throw a drumstick at him to get him to stop;on my part that was a bad move because he is a pitcher for his baseball team and threw one right back. After that, my guinea pig never knew when I was coming in the room because he went def.

larryace 06-20-2010 12:00 AM

Geez Chip what a sad story. It's hard to believe that high noise levels KILLED him.
Whodathunk?