DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Deep Purple (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62066)

Ian Williams 05-07-2010 04:26 AM

Deep Purple
 
5 Attachment(s)
Which album(s) are your favourite one(s)?

My favourite ones are: In Rock - Fireball - Machine Head - Made In Japan - Perfect Strangers.........still listening all of them!

Strangelove 05-07-2010 06:15 AM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Well, Made in Japan did produce this little gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPM6n...eature=related

Pocket-full-of-gold 05-07-2010 07:06 AM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Like yourself Ian, I'm a definite fan of the "mark II" line up........but the truth of the matter is that if Deep Purple contains Paice, Blackmore and Lord, then I'm gonna happily listen. So I'll also add Burn and Stormbringer to your list.

BassDriver 05-07-2010 09:25 AM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Made in Japan, it's the one on my i-pod.

Love the organ work on Lazy.

Royal 05-07-2010 09:27 AM

Re: Deep Purple
 
For me...........Ian Paice IS DP. I dread the day when he's unable to tour/play.
Agree with all the above.

Guys. Check out the Pacy's send off solo that ends the song Flight of the Rat.(studio version).
It lasts about 40 seconds.
It's straightforward, no clever tricks, but oh so smooth. Fantastic sound as always.

Pollyanna 05-07-2010 10:11 AM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Can't say. I like certain tracks off all those albums but not all of any of them. Machine Head was the first album I bought with my own money, so maybe that for nostalgia since I actually prefer Pat Boone's version of Smoke *ducks for cover*

Ian Williams 05-07-2010 01:39 PM

Re: Deep Purple
 
I agree, mate. Paice-Blackmore-Lord are the key core in Deep Purple, I appreciate that you brought up Burn and Stormbringer are very good albums with the participation of David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes. I will add Made In Europe as well.....Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 697443)
Like yourself Ian, I'm a definite fan of the "mark II" line up........but the truth of the matter is that if Deep Purple contains Paice, Blackmore and Lord, then I'm gonna happily listen. So I'll also add Burn and Stormbringer to your list.


Ian Williams 05-07-2010 01:41 PM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Lovely sound, isn't it? I have on my cellular phone Highway Star, The Mule.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassDriver (Post 697466)
Made in Japan, it's the one on my i-pod.

Love the organ work on Lazy.


Ian Williams 05-07-2010 01:49 PM

Re: Deep Purple
 
.......and Deep Purple is Ian Paice.
With the contribution of Blackmore and Lord as Pocket-full-of-gold said. For me, Paice is the foundation/backbone of the band. Like you mate, I am a follower of Paice's legacy and on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal (Post 697468)
For me...........Ian Paice IS DP. I dread the day when he's unable to tour/play.
Agree with all the above.

Guys. Check out the Pacy's send off solo that ends the song Flight of the Rat.(studio version).
It lasts about 40 seconds.
It's straightforward, no clever tricks, but oh so smooth. Fantastic sound as always.


Ian Williams 05-07-2010 01:56 PM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Polly, you must be proud of that album then. What songs do you like out of it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pollyanna (Post 697477)
Can't say. I like certain tracks off all those albums but not all of any of them. Machine Head was the first album I bought with my own money, so maybe that for nostalgia since I actually prefer Pat Boone's version of Smoke *ducks for cover*


Ian Williams 05-07-2010 02:30 PM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Strangelove.........thanks for sharing it. I will let you know my impression of the gem!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strangelove (Post 697431)
Well, Made in Japan did produce this little gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPM6n...eature=related


Pollyanna 05-07-2010 02:56 PM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 697512)
Polly, you must be proud of that album then. What songs do you like out of it?

Ian, I gave away all my old vinyls. From memory, Lazy was great, the middle part of Space Truckin' was very cool. Smoke, of course, is a classic. But really, just having Ian Paice playing means there will always be something enjoyable to listen to (Ian was my first drum hero).

Other memorable Purple moments for me were Black Night, Child in Time, Speed King, Fireball, You Fool No One, Burn and This Time / Ode to G. I think Purple's greatest moment was You Fool No One with Ian and Ritchie in full flight!

A lot of Purple fans felt that Tommy Bolin was a poor replacement for Ritchie and I guess they did lose some vibe with the switch, but I've long been a huge Tommy fan. His work on Billy Cobham's Stratus is legendary, and his solo album, Private Eyes, has some fantastic tracks, eg. Post Toastee and Busting Our for Rosie.

KBadd 05-07-2010 06:22 PM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Machine Head and Made in Japan. Posting at work! Haha!

Strangelove 05-07-2010 10:00 PM

Re: Deep Purple
 
For those who have never witnessed Blackmore's awesomeness, check out this solo from Child in Time, right before his last temper tantrum with Deep Purple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQzwqGBLYn0

If your jaw doesn't drop, you are not human, lol. Too bad he's impossible to get along with for extended periods of time - or at least with Gilliam..

Ian Williams 05-07-2010 11:24 PM

Re: Deep Purple
 
1 Attachment(s)
Astonishing................................Here is Ritchie, on California Jam.

Ian Williams 05-08-2010 04:11 AM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Can't shoot, root or electrocute that guy! He is amazing - Ian Paice, watch him.

Wring That Neck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXgvx...eature=related

Royal 05-08-2010 09:22 AM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Flight of the Rat. Pacy's send off.
I love good send offs.

I've played this send off many times(not the song)...as good as him? No. Of course not, but we try don't we.
It's straightforward so the non-drummers easily appreciate it...hopefully.
I goes down well.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2pHezVsja4

Hercules 05-08-2010 09:23 PM

Re: Deep Purple
 
My DP favourite is Burn

..... but the best thing to come out of DP was when Rod Evans left and formed Captain Beyond. Have a listen to Bobby Caldwell's drumming on their eponymous album - great stuff esp. "Thousand Days of Yesterday" ;-)

Masheanhed 05-09-2010 01:08 AM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Ian Paice could slap forks off a pickle barrel and it would be great.

I can't pick a favorite...any Mark II album is great in my book. I probably listen to In Rock more than the others but I place all of them high on the rock pedestal.Burn and Made In Europe are also favorites.

I had the great honor of getting to meet Ian Paice (as well as all the other band members) at the House Of Blues in Dallas a few years back. Not only is Ian Paice a great musician, he was a great person to meet and very nice.

My forum moniker is named after DP: Masheanhed = Machine Head.

Ian Williams 05-09-2010 04:04 AM

Re: Deep Purple
 
Mates, this is getting very interesting. Love your comments about Deep Purple! keep them coming.....Thanks.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com