DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Top Gear (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61919)

gusty 05-03-2010 11:50 AM

Top Gear

Any other fans? I love this show, all the things they do with the cars, challenges, stunts, fast driving, and most importantly the hosts. I think it's pretty popular in Australia (shown 3 times a week) so I'm guessing it's huge in the UK?

Outstanding bits:
Amphibious Cars Part 1
Polar Special
Winter Olympics

Frost 05-03-2010 12:04 PM

Re: Top Gear

I'm a big fan (U.K series only), my favourite episodes have probably been the specials, the Vietnam special was brilliant.

I find you don't have to like cars to like Top Gear (I'm not a petrol head) the show is just that entertaining and that comedic that anyone can sit down and watch it.

I love Jeremy Clarksons very un-politically correct ways

Thaard 05-03-2010 12:27 PM

Big fan of the U.K. series(the only one imo). I like their episode specials. Especially the Thailand and Jungle ones.

Naigewron 05-03-2010 12:38 PM

Yeah, I'm a big fan (of the UK version), and I don't even have the slightest interest in cars. I just really enjoy the humour and the dynamic between the three hosts :-)

gusty 05-03-2010 12:49 PM

I've only seen one episode of the Australian series, pretty boring. Do they make any different versions?

Frost 05-03-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusty (Post 695880)
I've only seen one episode of the Australian series, pretty boring. Do they make any different versions?

A couple, Top Gear Germany is pretty huge (In Germany, Belgium and Austria)

gusty 05-03-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost (Post 695881)
A couple, Top Gear Germany is pretty huge (In Germany, Belgium and Austria)

Oh right, I remember seeing jeremy, james and richard go against three germans from another car show, I never realised it was Top Gear Germany. Another great episode haha.

Pocket-full-of-gold 05-03-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost (Post 695868)
I find you don't have to like cars to like Top Gear (I'm not a petrol head) the show is just that entertaining and that comedic that anyone can sit down and watch it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naigewron (Post 695875)
Yeah, I'm a big fan (of the UK version), and I don't even have the slightest interest in cars. I just really enjoy the humour and the dynamic between the three hosts :-)

+3.

My wife loves it too........A CAR SHOW?!?!? Who would have thought!

Highly entertaining.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gusty (Post 695880)
I've only seen one episode of the Australian series, pretty boring.

Aussie series was a joke. I notice it hasn't returned. Hopefully it stays that way.

Frost 05-03-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 695891)
+3.

My wife loves it too........A CAR SHOW?!?!? Who would have thought!

Highly entertaining.

Aussie series was a joke. I notice it hasn't returned. Hopefully it stays that way.

I didn't hate the Aussie series, I just thought it had too much to live up to, it couldn't match the U.K presenters (but did a pretty decent go at it) or budget.

Pocket-full-of-gold 05-03-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost (Post 695896)
I didn't hate the Aussie series, I just thought it had too much to live up to, it couldn't match the U.K presenters (but did a pretty decent go at it) or budget.

They lost me when they drove a Maserati (from memory) to Sorrento..........along the traffic light abundant Nepean Highway............at 60km/h!! Hardly compelling viewing for mine.

But yes, a tough act to follow.

keep it simple 05-03-2010 02:42 PM

I do like cars, especially the planet killing variety, so I love Top Gear even more. Best show on TV. Got to love the critique of US cars. So true! & yes, Clarkson is straight out of the same mould as me. I'm about as anti PC as it gets.

Frost 05-03-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep it simple (Post 695904)
I do like cars, especially the planet killing variety, so I love Top Gear even more. Best show on TV. Got to love the critique of US cars. So true! & yes, Clarkson is straight out of the same mould as me. I'm about as anti PC as it gets.

They like some U.S cars.

Khaine88 05-03-2010 04:02 PM

i love top gear and i didnt even know there was any other versions of it. my favourite episode has to be the recent special where they went all through bolivia . and the best quote although i cant remember which cars they were exactly. "the daewoo matiz while doing 50 can easily out run a lambo doing 30...."

Frost 05-03-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khaine88 (Post 695921)
i love top gear and i didnt even know there was any other versions of it. my favourite episode has to be the recent special where they went all through bolivia . and the best quote although i cant remember which cars they were exactly. "the daewoo matiz while doing 50 can easily out run a lambo doing 30...."

One of the latest episodes that I really enjoyed was the one where they made their own car.

Khaine88 05-03-2010 05:07 PM

the one with the special seat for richard hammond? with the box to look out of?

keep it simple 05-03-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost (Post 695905)
They like some U.S cars.

Too true. There are some iconic US classics.

Frost 05-03-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khaine88 (Post 695945)
the one with the special seat for richard hammond? with the box to look out of?

Yeah, that one. They had some really funny episodes towards the end of last season, the Bolivia special was possibly the best one yet.

Khaine88 05-03-2010 08:52 PM

can you remember what they called the car they made? i know it was a pretty funny name but it escapes me at the moment ......

Frost 05-03-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khaine88 (Post 696019)
can you remember what they called the car they made? i know it was a pretty funny name but it escapes me at the moment ......

Geoff or something...

The mk.2 was the Hammerhead iFlower or some eco thing like that

Moldy 05-03-2010 11:33 PM

Love the show. There are a few gems in each season, but there are never any real flops or bad episodes, persay. Just good ones and great ones.

And as I recall, they really loved the Roush Mustang :)

spides666 05-04-2010 08:11 AM

There is another Top Gear Australia Series coming....it could never compete with the UK being as the UK show has the European Car Market on it's doorstep...

It is a great show, totally set up but very enjoyable viewing........

Man golden moment (being from the the UK) is Clarkson when they drive the Articulated Lorries around that race track........

Check mirrors, change gear, murder prosititute.............I roared and he got in trouble and had to apologise for that remark ha ha

keep it simple 05-04-2010 09:49 AM

And remember, JC has a drum kit!! Remember Hammond backing his truck into it on the hill start challenge?

Neil 05-04-2010 10:27 AM

It's a great show, aside from being an F1 fan I'm not a petrol head, that show gets me watching because of the challenges. Although the 'Dave' Channel showing re-runs all the time is a little much. One critcism I do have is some gag's are quite obviously staged, I laugh but then think, 'OK a little obvious'...

Frost 05-04-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moldy (Post 696085)
Love the show. There are a few gems in each season, but there are never any real flops or bad episodes, persay. Just good ones and great ones.

And as I recall, they really loved the Roush Mustang :)

Definitely, my favourite show on T.V by far.

I'm interested in the new Australian series, I honestly don't think the hosts are that bad, not after they got rid of that guy from the first series, if they do more cool stunts and less traditional car magazine stuff I might enjoy it.

TFITTING942 05-04-2010 02:28 PM

My favorite show since I came across it a few years ago on BBC America. They are totally nuts. That space shuttle they made was a riot. There was talk about a Top Gear America and I am glad that it seems to have fallen through. The UK version is too good to try and copy here. I think it would seem too forced, where as those three guys just seem to be having a blast being themselves.

Royal 05-04-2010 11:38 PM

I say---"Clarkson for 10 Downing Street."

Read his books. They're hilarious.