DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Favourite rush album? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60013)

BlakeS 03-14-2010 10:16 PM

Favourite rush album?

Hey, I dont know if this would be the right section but I'm looking to buy a rush or maybe 2 albums (depending on price), which ones are your favourites?

muckypops 03-14-2010 10:28 PM

Re: Favourite rush album?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlakeS (Post 676171)
Hey, I dont know if this would be the right section but I'm looking to buy a rush or maybe 2 albums (depending on price), which ones are your favourites?

Hemispheres and Moving Pictures

Drums101 03-14-2010 10:29 PM

Exit Stage left and Moving Pictures

MikeM 03-14-2010 10:30 PM

2112 and Moving Pictures. Actually, I might be tempted to substitute All The World's A Stage for 2112 because it has the best Neil Peart drum solo ever - back when he was a really energetic 23 year old.

drumr0 03-14-2010 10:31 PM

power windows and grace under pressure.

BlakeS 03-14-2010 10:36 PM

I think I'll go for moving pictures from what i've seen so far, going to buy royal scam by Steely Dan too :) also maybe another police album if anyone has any recommendations?

timmdrum 03-14-2010 10:40 PM

Ditto on Exit Stage Left and Moving Pictures. Counterparts from '94 and the two latest ones are really good too.

Fuo 03-14-2010 10:58 PM

Moving Pictures
Signals

BlakeS 03-14-2010 11:03 PM

I've ordered moving pictures now, may order another album later on :), any police recommendations apart from Reggatta De Blanc?

EAMES DRUMS 03-14-2010 11:21 PM

roll the bones/ moving pictures

Jeff Gordon #24 03-14-2010 11:37 PM

1.) Moving Pictures
2.) Exit...Stage Left
3.) Hemispheres
4.) A Farewell to Kings
5.) Permanent Waves
6.) 2112
7.) All the World's a Stage
8.) Fly By Night
9.) Signals
10.) Counterparts
11.) Snakes & ...Oh Heck...

They're ALL my favorite.

nhzoso 03-14-2010 11:43 PM

Definetly Permanent Waves, and probably moving pictures.. Perm waves is pure meat and potatoes Rush IMO

theindian 03-15-2010 01:06 AM

Another vote for Hemispheres. Great Album, last really proggy album by the band. Opening track is EPIC! La Villa Strangiato is great. Also, Gotta love those cheesy synth sounds from back then!

alparrott 03-15-2010 02:18 AM

If you are just getting into Rush you might want to pick up one of the more recent live albums, like R30 or Rush in Rio... great live performances that are almost note-for-note what they play on the album, but drawn from their entire career. Then you can narrow down what part of their career you like best and focus on that first...?

If we're talking the essential studio albums you must own, then in order: Moving Pictures, 2112, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Power Windows.

mind_drummer 03-15-2010 03:33 AM

Well it seem none prefer my RUSH favorite album, Although all of RUSH albums has some gems buried into them, I really dig "Hold Your Fire", every songs are good and when listening it bring me back to my 20s...

Here's "Hold Your Fire" songs line-up.

"Force Ten"
"Time Stand Still"
"Open Secrets"
"Second Nature"
"Prime Mover"
"Lock and Key"
"Mission"
"Turn the Page"
"Tai Shan"
"High Water"

DrumEatDrum 03-15-2010 04:46 AM

Signals will always be my favorite, because that was the 1st Rush album I bought, and I never get tired of it.

But for a 1st time listener, 2112 and Moving Pictures are essential.

Permanent Waves and Signals are the next priority.

Caress of Steel is the only one that you can skip.

Strangelove 03-15-2010 06:50 AM

Grace Under Pressure and Moving Pictures for studio albums. Any live album of theirs, too because they are unbelievably tight in concert. My personal favorite is A Show of Hands.

This is my favorite Rush song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjRy8hd5Kd8

And check out this drumset view of the master on the intro to Subdivisions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQmz4...eature=related

Jeff Gordon #24 03-15-2010 07:22 AM

Oh yes! Subdivisions...just a brilliant song. And a great example of "The Professor" there.

BillBachman 03-15-2010 07:27 AM

Permanent Waves may just trump Moving Pictures for me. The song "Natural Science" embodies everything that made that band great.

Also, if you don't have the Grace Under Pressure tour DVD get it immediately. It has by far the most clear audio of Neal's playing, and it is well lit with many shots of him going nuts in his hey-day. They play lots of great old tunes and he goes for it--it's great! -far better than any other video of them live in my opinion.

DrumEatDrum 03-15-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillBachman (Post 676350)
Permanent Waves may just trump Moving Pictures for me. The song "Natural Science" embodies everything that made that band great.

When I was younger, Waves was great, but Moving Pictures had more of the hit songs, plus the epic "Vital Signs".

But as the years pass, I do agree Permanent Waves stands the test of time better.

Quote:

Also, if you don't have the Grace Under Pressure tour DVD get it immediately. It has by far the most clear audio of Neal's playing, and it is well lit with many shots of him going nuts in his hey-day. They play lots of great old tunes and he goes for it--it's great! -far better than any other video of them live in my opinion.
I agree. I have all their videos, but the camera angles and lighting on Grace Under Pressure can't be topped.

I originally taped it off of MTV back in the day. I was so thrilled with it was finally released on DVD.

DrumEatDrum 03-15-2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlakeS (Post 676190)
, any police recommendations apart from Reggatta De Blanc?

Zenyatta Mondatta has always been my favorite Police album by far.

Although you can't go wrong with Ghost in the Machine either.

Dreaded Skull 03-15-2010 08:34 AM

2112 , Moving Pictures and Hemispheres. Realy anything by Rush is good.

supermac 03-15-2010 12:30 PM

Try:

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Exit Stage Left

Signals

Fly By Night

bpumpkin 03-15-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlakeS (Post 676190)
I've ordered moving pictures now, may order another album later on :), any police recommendations apart from Reggatta De Blanc?

Syncronicity definitely if you don't already have it. It's their best album probably. Definitely their most successful album.

My favorite Rush albums are Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals. I haven't heard all their stuff though.

Pavlos 03-15-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlakeS (Post 676181)
I think I'll go for moving pictures from what i've seen so far, going to buy royal scam by Steely Dan too :) also maybe another police album if anyone has any recommendations?

Yes, Moving Pictures for sure. And Signals.

As for the Police, you could just get the Message in a Box set for $25-$50 and have every song from every album. Ghost in the Machine is my fave.

Ian Williams 03-15-2010 06:39 PM

A Farewell To The Kings.
Moving Pictures.
Hemispheres.
Signals.
Permanent Waves.
Power Windows.

Spreggy 03-15-2010 06:40 PM

For RUSH, every album has gems. Quintessential albums would me Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves imho. For the Police, they only made five albums (plus the live one), they're all good, get them all. :P Zenyotta and Ghost are my top picks.

Fuo 03-15-2010 06:58 PM

Ooo. How could I forgot Grace Under Pressure. Add that to my list.

Fuo 03-16-2010 02:29 AM

Quote:

And check out this drumset view of the master on the intro to Subdivisions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQmz4...eature=related

Great song, great video. Inspired me to try paradiddles around the kit which I've always heard people suggest, but never tried. Wow. That's fun and awesome sounding.

Signals 03-17-2010 01:54 AM

Ahhhh, a thread after my own heart!!! :)

See my avatar (or user name) for the answer! ;)

...'subdivisions' is my all-time favorite tune.

Ian Williams 03-17-2010 02:04 AM

"The Analog Kid" for me, mate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signals (Post 676981)
Ahhhh, a thread after my own heart!!! :)

See my avatar (or user name) for the answer! ;)

...'subdivisions' is my all-time favorite tune.

Signals 03-17-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 676982)
"The Analog Kid" for me, mate!

I love that one too...it's my second favorite.

If I had to rate the songs I'd go:

1) Subdivisions
2) The Analog Kid
3) New World Man
4) Loosing It
5) Countdown
6) Chemistry
7) Digital Man
8) The Weapon

..I think that's all of them...

MisterZero 03-17-2010 06:07 PM

Grace Under Pressure is my personal favorite. I like it mostly because the songs are REALLY good and nobody outside of RUSH fans really know them. It's like Led Zep 3.

A-customs 03-17-2010 11:11 PM

How about Roll the Bones.People!!!!!My favorite, Love his snare sound on that .And Moving pictures

thtst 03-17-2010 11:16 PM

Color me the only one to mention it, yet my fave is A Farewell To Kings

Lots of tuned percussion, plenty of 'hard hitting' big sound, fast and slow drumming, yet some subtler drumming as well with feel and technique. Generally play Xanadu and a few other songs during every 'masturbation' session yet lack the concert chimes so use the bells of the crash and ride cymbal as their frequency is 'close enough'. Use the crotales here instead of concert bells Neil employed.

Another fave, non-Rush sorry, that is a go-to is The Flower Kings songs "Driver's Seat" and "The Truth Will Set You Free (live)". They use a drummer and percussionist, yet try to cover BOTH musicians at the same time :) If you have never heard either of these, may i humbly suggest you give them a listen.

muckypops 03-17-2010 11:18 PM

OK so here it is in a nutshell. Just listen to La Villa Strangiato. For me it's their best work ever.

LinearDrummer 03-18-2010 12:25 AM

I grew up on the keyboard era and worked my way backward to the early days so I'd go with Hold your Fire.

IMO tho Ghost of a Chance is the most killa of killer tracks they have ever made!

BlakeS 03-18-2010 12:33 AM

Looks like im going to have to build a big rush collection :D

LinearDrummer 03-18-2010 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlakeS (Post 677394)
Looks like im going to have to build a big rush collection :D

It took me about 5 years of listening religiously to complete the CD collection...

thtst 03-18-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LinearDrummer (Post 677550)
It took me about 5 years of listening religiously to complete the CD collection...

First a Buddy Rich thread to make me feel old and now this. Ummm, well, my friend who was editor os some big Guitar Mag (not Vintage Guitar, i know him too and it is not him)... ANYWAY, i gave the Guitar mag editor my Farewell to Kings original concert tee so he could tease Alex about four years ago with it (and no, i looked online and there seem to be no image of the REAL concert tee). Basically Neil, Alex and Geddy all have that long hair almost hippie/burnout looks about them. Kinda retro-cool actually, i should e-mail him and get my shirt back unless he gave it to Alex.

BTW, i still have original copies of Rush's 'Backstage Club' newsletter Neil wrote and even the then new (1980's Backstage Club tee shirt). And yes, also have the 80's Modern Drummers with Neil on the cover. i really like Rush a lot, great musical creativity, expression and amazing sound for only three guys. Of course there is more to life than one band yet yes props to Rush for their many years of excellent musicianship and sound creation.

Why, oh God why am i feeling REALLY old today? (Sigh) Well, so are the sands of time.

"...Here’s a meaning for my life
A shelter from the storm
Pacify my troubles with
Her body, soft and warm

Naked in our unity
A smile for every tear
Gentle hands that promise me
Comfort through the years..."