DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pedals (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Fast Double Bass Pedal? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58849)

Dynath 02-16-2010 12:07 AM

Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
I'm looking to buy a faster double bass pedal that doesen't take to much effort to use.
I have the first PDP Double Pedal and I need a faster one. What are some good ones?

Pocket-full-of-gold 02-16-2010 12:15 AM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
A pedal will only operate as fast as your legs can drive it.

If you're looking to upgrade your pedal, I think you're better off heading down to your local store and get your feet on as many as you can. There's so many to choose from, the only real way of know what you like the feel of is by trying them.

PeniScott 02-16-2010 12:32 AM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
As a rule of thumb, it depends how much you're willing to spend.

If you're really planning on splashing out on a quality product then any high end pedals are great. The Pearl Demon Drive Eliminator, DW 8000 and 9000 just about any kit manufacturer has good pedals to boot, just look around.

I've owned 3 double pedals in the past, the first was some off-brand which wasn't good at all, the second was, presumably, one of the lower end Sonor ones because it wasn't that great (however it had been in storage for a while) and my current one is a DW 7000 series.

I WOULD like to recommend the DW but there is one problem i find. Although it's just one problem, it's a disastrous one. The tension screws in the linkage very, very often come loose very, very easily rendering the left pedal useless halfway through a song or set. Half the time the screws come loose and come out but not enough of them come out for the linkage to disconnect, so sometimes i never find those missing screws.

That means that everytime i set it up and use it, the strength of that linkage has gone down from the night before.

It is a great pedal, it works well and feels great, it's horrible shame that i cannot recommend it.

xoxo

ddocimo 02-16-2010 12:37 AM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
if you are into punch, Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide. If you want something smooth, Cobra Rolling glide

stabmasterarson 02-16-2010 07:10 AM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
AXIS A LONGBOARDS ARE WHAT YOU WANT

audiotech 02-16-2010 02:32 PM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
For me, the Trick Pro 1 V pedals are the fastest, hardest hitting, smoothest and easiest to adjust pedals on the market. Their downside, the price. I've played their double pedals many times, but I own their singles.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...4/DSC_0186.jpg

Dennis

Mikey Dangerous 02-17-2010 05:23 AM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stabmasterarson (Post 665498)
AXIS A LONGBOARDS ARE WHAT YOU WANT

Those are my favs too. Try them for yourself though along with all the other good ones.

Pocket-full-of-gold 02-17-2010 01:17 PM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotech (Post 665543)
For me, the Trick Pro 1 V pedals are the fastest, hardest hitting, smoothest and easiest to adjust pedals on the market. Their downside, the price. I've played their double pedals many times, but I own their singles.

Hey Dennis. I've been curious about that style of beater. How do they go.....pack enough punch?

mattvdh 06-14-2013 11:37 PM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
I've owned axis and yes they are definitely fast, but I had problems with mine--the screws would come loose very easily. They aren't very hard hitting either, so it's really a pedal for designed for triggers. If you are a hard hitter and prefer the acoustic bass drum, then go with something a little heavier like the pearl demon drive or tama speed cobra or dw. However all that being said, like buddy said Trick is the fastest and pretty fuckin hard hitting. That's what I'm intending to buy for my next purchase, however you'll pay up the ass for it.

Also just my personal preference but I think that two individual singles are better than a double. With a double the left has a bit more work to do in terms of the mechanics, so the connector slows it down a bit. it works for most people and they prefer the ease of having one kick drum for ease of transportation, however if you try out two kicks it's pretty sick. Not to mention it makes your set look beastly.

One thing that Axis has going for it is the ekit... I think this is a superior form of triggering as it doesn't rely on vibration to set it off. Vibrations from your toms or snare can set it off or misfire and you can look like a real amateur on stage. However many pros use the ddrum triggers and it works great for them, I've only used roland.

mattvdh 06-14-2013 11:40 PM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold (Post 665365)
A pedal will only operate as fast as your legs can drive it.

If you're looking to upgrade your pedal, I think you're better off heading down to your local store and get your feet on as many as you can. There's so many to choose from, the only real way of know what you like the feel of is by trying them.

yeah there's some truth to that but if you're using old chain driven technology you won't be nearly as fast as direct drive. It's like night and day.

mattvdh 06-14-2013 11:47 PM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
this guy looks like he's using axis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUeF8pbhj8A

this is like unnecessary fast, beyond what you'd ever need. I mean, I'm a total speed freak, but you don't need that kind of speed really... anything near 300 bpms is going surpass anyones speed needs. i think this is around 380bpm. at some point it loses the effect just sounds like a motor engine or something. Play with a flstudio and insert a kick sound, it looses the machine gun effect at around 300bps's and sounds like a lawn mower.

MrInsanePolack 06-15-2013 12:50 AM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
If you are talking ridiculously fast, death metal style double bass, you should look at Axis, Trick, Malleus, or Pearl Demondrive. The key to hyperspeed is the longboard, which lets you easily and effectively do doublestrokes with the pedal.

Watch this and see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js8KG1xDOkM

TColumbia37 06-18-2013 04:54 AM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattvdh (Post 1151159)
yeah there's some truth to that but if you're using old chain driven technology you won't be nearly as fast as direct drive. It's like night and day.

Not true.

I can play much faster on my DW 5000 dual chain drive than on a Demon Drive, or any other direct drive pedal that I have played, for that matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeniScott (Post 665376)
I WOULD like to recommend the DW but there is one problem i find. Although it's just one problem, it's a disastrous one. The tension screws in the linkage very, very often come loose very, very easily rendering the left pedal useless halfway through a song or set. Half the time the screws come loose and come out but not enough of them come out for the linkage to disconnect, so sometimes i never find those missing screws.

That means that everytime i set it up and use it, the strength of that linkage has gone down from the night before.

It is a great pedal, it works well and feels great, it's horrible shame that i cannot recommend it.

My brother had the same problem with his DW pedals, because they weren't taken care of very well. I have NEVER had a problem with my DW 5000.

Here's a tip. Get a little Loctite, and put just a little drop on the threads. Problem solved. Use the blue Loctite, NOT the red stuff. You can find it at pretty much any hardware or auto parts store.

reg98 06-18-2013 02:46 PM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stabmasterarson (Post 665498)
AXIS A LONGBOARDS ARE WHAT YOU WANT

I would have to agree:)

Depends on your budget though:)

schist 06-18-2013 03:19 PM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattvdh (Post 1151157)
[Axis pedals] aren't very hard hitting either, so it's really a pedal for designed for triggers

Bollocks. I've put holes through kick drum heads with mine.

Dre25 06-18-2013 06:51 PM

Re: Fast Double Bass Pedal?
 
I've owned and played a few and the fastest I've been able to play was on mapex falcons. Once they get going it becomes effortless. And they hit hard.

They have an awkward feel compared to others though.

Axis actually hot pretty hard btw, it's the demon drives that get weak hits.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com