DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   iPad; Your thoughts about it (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58087)

bobdadruma 01-28-2010 12:50 PM

iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
I like it.
I haven't held it yet. I watched the Apple vid. Looks interesting.
User friendly. I liked the keyboard.

larryace 01-28-2010 02:52 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Ipad? Is that an electonic feminine napkin?

GRUNTERSDAD 01-28-2010 03:43 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
I watched the entire 1:32:00 presentation and speaking as one who has too many Apple gadgets now, this one I have no interest in. At face value for what it does the pricing is good, but I already have an iPhone and although smaller, it will do everything the iPad will do. In order to use it out side of the house you would need to find a WiFi hotspot or pay AT & T for monthly 3G service which I have on my phone. I would like to see them put the iPad on the same account as the iPhone at a second phone rate of maybe 9.99 per month. It has no camera, no phone, only one speaker that I could see so no stereo sounds even with great HD video. I was a bit disappointed but for 500.00 I'm sure they will sell a lot of the base model. Some called it an overprices digital picture frame.

And Larry you are close. The next bigger model will be called the Max-iPad. Cheers.

Naigewron 01-28-2010 04:49 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Neat, but ultimately useless. Can't see anywhere I'd rather use that than my netbook (10" laptop)

Thaard 01-28-2010 05:31 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Only use for it would be in studios or gigs where you had to read alot of notes. Instead of using all that paper, you could flip through your iPad in no time. Other than that? Naah..

mcbike 01-28-2010 05:41 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
I think the potential for music apps is really cool. Even if music publishers started publishing text books with built in video examples/audio examples. that would be really cool.

Also I could see some apps that would turn it into a control surface for a recording program, or even a customizable abelton live controller.

It would also be cool to have a setlist-metronome app with all the songs and tempos listed and you can start the click track with a touch of the song title.

I would really like to see a good comic book reader for this too.

I already have an iphone and a macbook pro so I don't really have a need for this, but I will wait and see how it is in person, and see what new stuff will come as far as apps.

rogue_drummer 01-28-2010 08:26 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
One of the big drawbacks I see is no external USB port for a hard drive. To get anything put on the iPad you have to go to the wireless Apple App store. If you want something put on your computer that is not at the Apple App store, you can't load it on, or you can if it's formated to move over a wireless network and email it. Pity. Maybe next model? Yeah, the Maxi iPad!!

ace76543 01-28-2010 08:37 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10443246-1.html

http://gizmodo.com/tag/appletablet/

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-thing...about-the-ipad

bobdadruma 01-29-2010 03:20 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
I feel the same way as many of you.
The iPad is kind of in between an iphone and a MacBook.
I don't think that I will buy one because I already have a 3G phone and a MacBook computer.
My MacBook can do everything that the iPad can do. My MacBook is not bulky. I bring it everywhere that I go and I use it everyday. I like the flip up screen and the keyboard on my MacBook better than I would like the Pad screen and touch keyboard on the iPad.
I can use my MacBook while laying down on my favorite leather couch while watching TV after a hard days work. The iPad will be difficult to use that way.
I check emails and surf the web on my LG Dare phone during the day while I am at work. My phone is also my navigation device when I drive. My phone can access files from my sleeping computer when I need them. I text and email from my phone.
If I want to read or watch a movie during lunch I break out my MacBook.
I don't think that I really have a need for the iPad.

Geri Attrique 01-29-2010 03:37 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 658023)
Ipad? Is that an electonic feminine napkin?

It would only be any good if it made me pleasant during my special time and you could email your cramps to someone else!

Geri Attrique 01-29-2010 03:40 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 658270)
I feel the same way as many of you.
The iPad is kind of in between an iphone and a MacBook.
I don't think that I will buy one because I already have a 3G phone and a MacBook computer.
My MacBook can do everything that the iPad can do. My MacBook is not bulky. I bring it everywhere that I go and I use it everyday. I like the flip up screen and the keyboard on my MacBook better than I would like the Pad screen and touch keyboard on the iPad.
I can use my MacBook while laying down on my favorite leather couch while watching TV after a hard days work. The iPad will be difficult to use that way.
I check emails and surf the web on my LG Dare phone during the day while I am at work. My phone is also my navigation device when I drive. My phone can access files from my sleeping computer when I need them. I text and email from my phone.
If I want to read or watch a movie during lunch I break out my MacBook.
I don't think that I really have a need for the iPad.

I think this is one of those times when it would be better to wait until better versions come out.

Tropellor 01-29-2010 03:46 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
I can't believe you can't Multitask on it!! So you can only have one program open at a time? Ridiculous.

I'll wait for the next version to come out and see what it's like.

Perhaps the iPad can have an app for the Wii? Call it the iClean?

GRUNTERSDAD 01-29-2010 04:26 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
The iPad is kind of in between an iphone and a MacBook.

The iPod touch is kind of in between an iPhone and a MacBook.

I guess that's the problem with rumor and hype, you end up disappointed.

"No expectations, no disappointments."

Naigewron 01-29-2010 08:14 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tropellor (Post 658275)
I can't believe you can't Multitask on it!! So you can only have one program open at a time? Ridiculous.

This is by far the single biggest problem with the iPhone and iPod Touch. The fact that they still haven't fixed it definitely puts me off even considering buying one. I don't have an iPhone, but even on my iPod touch, this is an extremely annoying "feature"; I have to close one app to check another. The only thing that can run in the background is the music player.

Eric 01-29-2010 03:01 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
I have to agree with Hitler on this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4

Pavlos 01-29-2010 04:19 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue_drummer (Post 658125)
One of the big drawbacks I see is no external USB port for a hard drive. To get anything put on the iPad you have to go to the wireless Apple App store. If you want something put on your computer that is not at the Apple App store, you can't load it on, or you can if it's formated to move over a wireless network and email it. Pity. Maybe next model? Yeah, the Maxi iPad!!

Seriously? No USB? How do you connect peripherals to it? Like say a midi controller. Some other kind of proprietary connection that you'll always need an adapter for? Firewire?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tropellor (Post 658275)
I can't believe you can't Multitask on it!! So you can only have one program open at a time? Ridiculous.

And again, really? What year is this?

GRUNTERSDAD 01-29-2010 04:41 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
They worked on this for over a year and the Macrumor.com site was constantly commenting on what people would like to see but Apple in it's own nearsighted way
ignored all of that and got excited about a built in Contacts app. Whoopee. My iphone is always with me. It has my contacts on it. I can't call on the iPad so my contacts are good only for email. Let down, let down. And if I wanted a book reader I would have bought a Kindle by now.

Garvin 01-29-2010 05:51 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Definitely underwhelming. No camera, relatively small storage capacity, no multitasking. I wonder if it will still be limited in online video viewing capabilities (as the iPhone is).

Also, the have a lot of balls charging extra for 3G considering the data limitations with AT&T already.

I'm a mac/iphone/ipod etc... owner, and lover, but this thing kind of seems redundant to me. Maybe the next few versions will improve.

rogue_drummer 01-29-2010 06:06 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Sorry, I meant to say no USB port for an external drive, CD, DVD, or hard drive. All the ports are designed for "Apple only" devices, or standard ports for a digital camera or video. And you must by apps from the legit Apple App store. Or email them to yourself. However if the email is too big for the email server, you are SOL. The screen is 9.7 inches measured diagonally, which is fairly large, think of it as a big iPhone.

I'm not impressed. I'll wait for the next generation Maxi iPad.

GRUNTERSDAD 01-29-2010 08:05 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garvin (Post 658418)
Definitely underwhelming. No camera, relatively small storage capacity, no multitasking. I wonder if it will still be limited in online video viewing capabilities (as the iPhone is).

Also, the have a lot of balls charging extra for 3G considering the data limitations with AT&T already.

I'm a mac/iphone/ipod etc... owner, and lover, but this thing kind of seems redundant to me. Maybe the next few versions will improve.

Like the iPhone it doesn't support Flash, so it is just a book reading iPod Touch. I also thought they could give iPhone customers a second phone price on the 3G part for maybe 9.99 but oh well. The gadgeteers will spend the 500.00 for the entry level just to have one.

GRUNTERSDAD 01-29-2010 11:08 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
I think this guy summed it up pretty well.

My Initial Thoughts on Apple’s Announcement Regarding the Release of the iPad, Viz. the High Likelihood of Its Impact As a Paradigm-Shifting, Next-Generation Appliance Poised to Upend the Traditional Notion of Computers As Per Se Computers; Plus, Educated Commentary on the Complex and Sometimes Adversarial Relationships Between Humans and the Machines That They Build to Use and to — Amongst Other Things — Build Still More Machines for Using and Building Other Machines; Plus, a Brief, but Memorable Meditation on the Importance of Careful Design, High Build Quality, Humane and User-Focused HCI Iteration Processes, and Practical Affordances in Order to Provide Users at Every Level of Expertise or Interest the Ineffable Touch of Grace and Humanity That — at Its Most Sublime — Gifts Us With a Quietly Satisfying Feeling of Total Engagement. Which Feeling Is Only Possible When One’s Tools and Technology Decisions Support an Elegant, Absorbing, and Seamlessly Friction-Free Flow State In Which One Can Utterly Disappear — In Which State One May Briefly Enjoy the Weightless Levity of Total Unity — In Which State, Rather Than Feeling One is “Doing Work,” One Mindfully Observes “Work Being Done” — In Which State Tool and Tool-Handler Are No More Distinguishable Than Those Elemental Singularities and Gapless Gestalts That Constitute Our Core Drive to Create — In Which State, Process is Product as well as Processor and Processed — Where, Like the Mythical Centaur, We Are Both/And (and Neither/Nor) Horse And/Nor/Neither Rider Nor Horse-Rider — Only Oneness — A Ride Being Ridden, the Riding Rider Is, In Itself, The Ride. The Silent Oneness. An Essay.

It’s a really nice computer. Get back to work.

Meat the beat 01-29-2010 11:44 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Like you other guys I don't need An iPhone on steroids - I already have the iphone, which does me great, and my macbook air which travels the globe with me...so no use for an oversized PDA really...

mobileusa 01-29-2010 11:49 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 658287)
The iPad is kind of in between an iphone and a MacBook.

The iPod touch is kind of in between an iPhone and a MacBook.

I guess that's the problem with rumor and hype, you end up disappointed.

"No expectations, no disappointments."

phonebook...........

genericdrummingusername 01-30-2010 12:11 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Looks pretty cool to me.

bobdadruma 01-30-2010 02:41 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Thank you all for your insights, and a special thanks to you Mr Hitler! I enjoyed the Nazi take on the iPad. LMAO

The jury seems to be in. The iPad has many limitations. It is not the revolutionary product that we dreamed of!

Sorry Apple, I'll pass on this one for a while.

By the way my Apple friends, Not to change the subject but, When are you going to sell the iPhone through other carriers beside AT&T?
I would buy an iPhone if I didn't have to leave Verizon!

bobdadruma 01-30-2010 02:43 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 658501)
I think this guy summed it up pretty well.

My Initial Thoughts on Apple’s Announcement Regarding the Release of the iPad, Viz. the High Likelihood of Its Impact As a Paradigm-Shifting, Next-Generation Appliance Poised to Upend the Traditional Notion of Computers As Per Se Computers; Plus, Educated Commentary on the Complex and Sometimes Adversarial Relationships Between Humans and the Machines That They Build to Use and to — Amongst Other Things — Build Still More Machines for Using and Building Other Machines; Plus, a Brief, but Memorable Meditation on the Importance of Careful Design, High Build Quality, Humane and User-Focused HCI Iteration Processes, and Practical Affordances in Order to Provide Users at Every Level of Expertise or Interest the Ineffable Touch of Grace and Humanity That — at Its Most Sublime — Gifts Us With a Quietly Satisfying Feeling of Total Engagement. Which Feeling Is Only Possible When One’s Tools and Technology Decisions Support an Elegant, Absorbing, and Seamlessly Friction-Free Flow State In Which One Can Utterly Disappear — In Which State One May Briefly Enjoy the Weightless Levity of Total Unity — In Which State, Rather Than Feeling One is “Doing Work,” One Mindfully Observes “Work Being Done” — In Which State Tool and Tool-Handler Are No More Distinguishable Than Those Elemental Singularities and Gapless Gestalts That Constitute Our Core Drive to Create — In Which State, Process is Product as well as Processor and Processed — Where, Like the Mythical Centaur, We Are Both/And (and Neither/Nor) Horse And/Nor/Neither Rider Nor Horse-Rider — Only Oneness — A Ride Being Ridden, the Riding Rider Is, In Itself, The Ride. The Silent Oneness. An Essay.

It’s a really nice computer. Get back to work.

Grunt, I love you man!!!

GRUNTERSDAD 01-30-2010 03:40 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 658555)
Thank you all for your insights, and a special thanks to you Mr Hitler! I enjoyed the Nazi take on the iPad. LMAO

The jury seems to be in. The iPad has many limitations. It is not the revolutionary product that we dreamed of!

Sorry Apple, I'll pass on this one for a while.

By the way my Apple friends, Not to change the subject but, When are you going to sell the iPhone through other carriers beside AT&T?
I would buy an iPhone if I didn't have to leave Verizon!

Keep an eye on www.macrumor.com....they seem to get the poop before others. If you go there you can search that subject.

GRUNTERSDAD 01-30-2010 03:41 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdadruma (Post 658557)
Grunt, I love you man!!!

I didn't give the guy credit.

Merlin Mann (@hotdogsladies)

JoeLackey 02-10-2010 10:06 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
If you buy one, you're an iTard..

Bernhard 02-10-2010 10:24 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 658450)
Like the iPhone it doesn't support Flash,.

As everbody knows: FLASH IS CRAP

Bernhard

Big_Philly 02-11-2010 12:26 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeLackey (Post 663456)
If you buy one, you're an iTard..

Bam! Twenty points.

And 20 characters...

GRUNTERSDAD 02-11-2010 01:17 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeLackey (Post 663456)
If you buy one, you're an iTard..

Time will tell......................

bobdadruma 02-11-2010 01:22 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
It appears that Apple may lower the price on the iPad before it goes on sale.
Consumer interest hasn't been as high as Apple expected.

jordanz 02-11-2010 01:39 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naigewron (Post 658323)
This is by far the single biggest problem with the iPhone and iPod Touch. The fact that they still haven't fixed it definitely puts me off even considering buying one. I don't have an iPhone, but even on my iPod touch, this is an extremely annoying "feature"; I have to close one app to check another. The only thing that can run in the background is the music player.

Hold on - the iPad, the iPhone, the iTouch all have multitasking. You can listen to your iPod while you write an email. You can send an email and, before it finishes, start playing a game. The thing that it doesn't have is multitasking for every application. I'd argue that that's something most people don't need. However, I wish Apple would open it up to other apps (like Pandora, for example).

Drums101 02-11-2010 03:20 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Just a bigger, more expensive iPod touch

boomstick 02-11-2010 06:03 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
I'm a longtime Apple fan, but this product leaves me quite mystified. Others have already pointed out that it falls between an iPhone and a MacBook, but is inferior to both in terms of pocketability (iPhone) and usability (MacBook). How did the powers-that-be at Apple think this was a good idea when the average consumer quickly determines that it was not? I predict this will be a total bust, and will eventually be added to the shortlist of Apple bombs.

GRUNTERSDAD 02-11-2010 08:41 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomstick (Post 663735)
I'm a longtime Apple fan, but this product leaves me quite mystified. Others have already pointed out that it falls between an iPhone and a MacBook, but is inferior to both in terms of pocketability (iPhone) and usability (MacBook). How did the powers-that-be at Apple think this was a good idea when the average consumer quickly determines that it was not? I predict this will be a total bust, and will eventually be added to the shortlist of Apple bombs.


I think at the current pricing it may have problems, but Apple is aware of the lack of enthusiasm and is already talking price reduction.

bobdadruma 02-11-2010 10:51 PM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomstick (Post 663735)
I'm a longtime Apple fan, but this product leaves me quite mystified. Others have already pointed out that it falls between an iPhone and a MacBook, but is inferior to both in terms of pocketability (iPhone) and usability (MacBook). How did the powers-that-be at Apple think this was a good idea when the average consumer quickly determines that it was not? I predict this will be a total bust, and will eventually be added to the shortlist of Apple bombs.

I kind of wondered about that also. Im sure that Apple did market research and they know this too. How could they not?
Apple seems to come out with a lot of products that don't appeal to the masses.
I still love my MacBook! Even though I paid twice as much for it as I would have for a competitors similar laptop.
I guess that when you have a product bass that is so popular, You have the freedom to take large risks.
Apple must feel that they are filling a void in the marketplace with the iPad. The people that really want one will buy it and they will like it. Im sure that it will work well.

boomstick 02-12-2010 12:29 AM

Re: iPad; Your thoughts about it
 
Yeah, I guess we'll see how it pans out. Even if it goes nowhere, Apple has otherwise been on a pretty impressive winning streak for a while now.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com