DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Les Binks (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57056)

Ian Williams 01-02-2010 07:18 PM

Les Binks
 
3 Attachment(s)
James Leslie Binks - formerly drummer for Judas Priest, on Stained Class and Hell Bent For Leather (as Killing Machine in the United Kingdom) and Unleashed In The East (live) records. He had an strong technical approach with an accomplished heavy metal punch...Deserves to be part of this forum.

Listening to songs such as: Exciter, White Heat-Red Hot, his bass drum kicking it's like a cascanet. His grooving on Saints In Hell it's outstanding.

Appreciate your input, fellows!

DrumEatDrum 01-02-2010 08:07 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Great playing on those early Judas Priest albums.

I can't for the life of my figure out why they hired Dave Holland to replace him after Les left.
A total night and day situation.

And given his talent, I'm a bit surprised Les Binks fell off the map after he left Judas Priest.

Les also played a bit of guitar, and helped write a few songs during his time with Preist.

jamesf 01-02-2010 09:16 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
I saw your subject line and thought to myself: "Self, now WHERE have I heard that name before....' Couldn't quite place it but it sure sounded very familiar! Then I read your post and felt I needed to kick myself! I grew up listening to Judas Priest and LOVED those early years! I can't believe I didn't know who you were talking about right away!
I can even venture to say Les Binks was one of many drummers to kick start me into playing the drums!
Good post and addition, Ian!

Ian Williams 01-03-2010 05:36 AM

Re: Les Binks
 
I read and article about Les Binks, were the rest of Judas Priest members decided to change out direction regarding drumming, because Binks was too technical for them...I was surprised!!!

Yes, mate. He helped Judas Priest to create the song "Beyond The Realms Of Death" it's kind like their Stairway To Heaven. He got some credit for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum (Post 647992)
Great playing on those early Judas Priest albums.

I can't for the life of my figure out why they hired Dave Holland to replace him after Les left.
A total night and day situation.

And given his talent, I'm a bit surprised Les Binks fell off the map after he left Judas Priest.

Les also played a bit of guitar, and helped write a few songs during his time with Preist.


Ian Williams 01-03-2010 05:42 AM

Re: Les Binks
 
Thanks, mate.
I love those old Judas Priest records too, they were so original and unique!!! The first time I heard Les Binks, I was like - I want to play drums like him!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesf (Post 648008)
I saw your subject line and thought to myself: "Self, now WHERE have I heard that name before....' Couldn't quite place it but it sure sounded very familiar! Then I read your post and felt I needed to kick myself! I grew up listening to Judas Priest and LOVED those early years! I can't believe I didn't know who you were talking about right away!
I can even venture to say Les Binks was one of many drummers to kick start me into playing the drums!
Good post and addition, Ian!


DrumEatDrum 01-03-2010 07:12 AM

Re: Les Binks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 648130)
I read and article about Les Binks, were the rest of Judas Priest members decided to change out direction regarding drumming, because Binks was too technical for them...I was surprised!!!

Yes, mate. He helped Judas Priest to create the song "Beyond The Realms Of Death" it's kind like their Stairway To Heaven. He got some credit for it.

Hummm.......I swear I read somewhere he left over money disputes.

Given what Scott Travis does with the band, I can't believe they thought Binks was too technical for them, but then again given who they got to replace him, I guess it is possible.

Ian Williams 01-04-2010 10:26 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Money disputes.....that sounds reasonable!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum (Post 648148)
Hummm.......I swear I read somewhere he left over money disputes.

Given what Scott Travis does with the band, I can't believe they thought Binks was too technical for them, but then again given who they got to replace him, I guess it is possible.


theindian 01-05-2010 07:02 AM

Re: Les Binks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum (Post 648148)
Hummm.......I swear I read somewhere he left over money disputes.

Given what Scott Travis does with the band, I can't believe they thought Binks was too technical for them, but then again given who they got to replace him, I guess it is possible.

Don't forget though that most of the music during the 80's before the Painkiller album was really straigtforward & kinda boring. They went in a hair band direction for awhile. I really like old Judas Priest, Rock a Rolla to Screaming for Vengance and later Priest, Painkiller forward. I like to pretend a few of those mid 80's albums didn't happen.

supermac 01-05-2010 11:00 AM

Re: Les Binks
 
Yeah, listened to him on Unleashed in the East when I'd just started playing as a kid.

The double-bass drum work for its time sounded out of this world....

Nioce tom fills too I remember

ChrisCirino 01-05-2010 04:13 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Though I love what Scott Travis is doing, Les' is definitely my favorite Priest drummer. I wore out "Unleashed in the East" trying to copy his licks when I was a teenager. My current band plays several of Priest's Binks era tunes and I always try to remain faithful to his interpretation. I guess If they fired him to go in a new direction ala Dave Holland, they certainly suceeded. I loved Priest in the 80s but I could never stomach Holland's lack-luster playing and atrocious drum sound.

Sidenote: I looked up Dave Holland on the internet to see what he's been doing lately and was suprised to find that he is currently in prison for attempted rape and indecent assault of a teenage boy. Presumably they should add terrible drumming to his list of offeneses. And no this is not a joke.

Ian Williams 01-05-2010 04:51 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
You have got to listen to the studio versions: Stained Class, Hell Bent For Leather (Killing Machine).....You will enjoy them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by supermac (Post 648903)
Yeah, listened to him on Unleashed in the East when I'd just started playing as a kid.

The double-bass drum work for its time sounded out of this world....

Nioce tom fills too I remember


Ian Williams 01-05-2010 05:01 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Very true.
I read that article and another, regarding Dave Holland attempted rape to a teenage boy when He was teaching him (the boy) drumming classes for a sort of time. An strongly reason for me, not to create a - thread - about Dave Holland.

Back to Les Binks. He is a drummer with an extraordinary determination to play.

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisCirino (Post 648995)
Though I love what Scott Travis is doing, Les' is definitely my favorite Priest drummer. I wore out "Unleashed in the East" trying to copy his licks when I was a teenager. My current band plays several of Priest's Binks era tunes and I always try to remain faithful to his interpretation. I guess If they fired him to go in a new direction ala Dave Holland, they certainly suceeded. I loved Priest in the 80s but I could never stomach Holland's lack-luster playing and atrocious drum sound.

Sidenote: I looked up Dave Holland on the internet to see what he's been doing lately and was suprised to find that he is currently in prison for attempted rape and indecent assault of a teenage boy. Presumably they should add terrible drumming to his list of offeneses. And no this is not a joke.


Ian Williams 01-05-2010 08:35 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Fellows, some information about Les - not the latest - but is good to track.

Check: http://www.jugulator.net/les_binks.htm

That Guy 01-05-2010 08:37 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Still doing "Drummer Profiles" I see, Ian. Nice to see ya!

Ian Williams 01-05-2010 08:52 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Nice to have you back, unleash That inner rascal Guy of yours!!! :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Guy (Post 649097)
Still doing "Drummer Profiles" I see, Ian. Nice to see ya!


That Guy 01-05-2010 09:00 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 649104)
Nice to have you back, unleash That inner rascal Guy of yours!!! :-)

There is a time and place for everything my friend. I'm easing myself back into the whole forum thing. I'm positive we'll have some good laughs in the very near future ;)

DrumEatDrum 01-05-2010 09:44 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams (Post 648720)
Money disputes.....that sounds reasonable!

Eh...maybe you were right, they felt he was too technical, because now I can't find that quote about money.

And there no interviews with him online that I can find. He's really kept a low profile since leaving Priest. That link you found of "where is he now" is the most I've seen mentioning him.

As for Dave Holland, I followed that case on the net when it happened. Seems to be a lot of "he said, he said" and not a lot of solid evidence, but he was convicted. I do agree with ChrisCirino, his should be charged with bad drumming.

Simon Phillips to Les Binks to Scott Travis, Dave just sticks out like sore thumb in their history.

Spex 09-26-2010 11:19 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
I saw Les playing a few months ago. He is one of a number of drummers used by ('probably') the best band in this area - Cruisin' Mooses.

Spex

Ian Williams 10-04-2010 07:39 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Cruisin' Mooses, must be proud and honoured to have a drummer of the caliber of Les Binks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spex (Post 748726)
I saw Les playing a few months ago. He is one of a number of drummers used by ('probably') the best band in this area - Cruisin' Mooses.

Spex


Ian Williams 04-02-2011 04:49 AM

Re: Les Binks
 
Take On The World: Les Binks on drums, nice big Pearl kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_oBy...eature=related

scarlit 04-02-2011 05:01 AM

Re: Les Binks
 
I'm a HUGE Priest fan. Unleashed in the East in an incredible record, Les absolitely kills it. Some of the double bass work is incredible for the time perdiod. Brilliant drummer, incredibly smooth yet very aggressive. I will forever praise Stained Class as one of the best metal records of all time... I am 25 years old btw

and that last pic in the first post is Dave Holland...fine drummer, but doesnt hold a candle to Les

Ian Williams 04-02-2011 04:46 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Here is an update regarding Les:

http://www.jugulator.net/les_binks.htm

As per Rob Halford, Les was too skilled, technical for their music approach but his contribution was remarkable on that short period with Judas Priest.

"...Even as great as Les was, after those few albums, we wanted to go after something a little more simple and harder,..” - Rob Halford, EDGE magazine, May 2003

Yopps 04-02-2011 05:19 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Les was the best drummer Priest ever had.

It's a real shame they wanted to get rid off him so they could sellout and make US-style kindergarten metal with Dave Holland.

But anyway, for people not in the know there is a fantasitic drum solo courtesy of Les on the live version of "Starbreaker" on Priest in The East (that's Unleashed in the East) so you should go check it out. This is 78/79 and he is pulling out kick pedal drumming at warp speed nearly a decade or so before all of the speed metal/death metal clowns that oversaturate the genre now...

Ian Williams 04-02-2011 06:51 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
2 Attachment(s)
Yes, Unleashed In The East...lovely!

Agreed, several people donīt realize - Les double bass drumming contribution in metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yopps (Post 822521)
Les was the best drummer Priest ever had.

It's a real shame they wanted to get rid off him so they could sellout and make US-style kindergarten metal with Dave Holland.

But anyway, for people not in the know there is a fantasitic drum solo courtesy of Les on the live version of "Starbreaker" on Priest in The East (that's Unleashed in the East) so you should go check it out. This is 78/79 and he is pulling out kick pedal drumming at warp speed nearly a decade or so before all of the speed metal/death metal clowns that oversaturate the genre now...


Ian Williams 11-29-2011 02:50 AM

Re: Les Binks
 
Les Binks on drums / Judas Priest - Saints in Hell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocLYO...eature=related

Enjoy it! you might not like the song title...but nevermind.

PaiceFan 11-29-2011 03:09 AM

Re: Les Binks
 
Ian You have great taste in drummers I used to love Les Binks when I was in High School many years ago. I was so disappointed when they replaced him with Dave Holland. I saw Priest in late 78' at The Palladium in New York. Around the time of Unleashed In The East Great show and Les Binks was temendous.

Ian Williams 11-29-2011 03:49 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
PaiceFan thanks brother! You had the great chance to see Les playing alive...outstanding!

Mad About Drums 06-16-2012 06:42 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Les Binks was the drummer on Roger Glover's brilliant album The Butterfly Ball in 1974, alongside a whole bunch of well know rock musicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nwRz09F-9c

Ian Williams 06-16-2012 08:19 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
That was nice for my ears & eyes, I enjoyed it as a child!
I bet Les (excellent drummer, in fact) was proud playing with many true rock musicians as: Roger Glover, David Coverdale, Glen Hughes, Ronnie James Dio and lately Ian Gillan, Jon Lord...

scarlit 11-04-2012 07:28 PM

Re: Les Binks
 
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWXS3kesHNk

Ian Williams 10-11-2013 04:05 AM

Re: Les Binks
 
Thank you so much @ scarlit!!!

Here > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyemD5Nklm4

... I'm in love, so in love... And I can't stop talking 'bout my rock forever!!!

Les at his highest peak back then... and Halford with his unusual singing operatic style, great band.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com