DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Help picking my 2nd instrument (BASS) (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51906)

nhzoso 07-16-2009 09:52 PM

Help picking my 2nd instrument (BASS)

I decided to take up the Bass guitar as my 2nd instrument, hoping it will help my drumming more than anything but ya never know. Can you folks recommend a decent starter Bass? I am thinking just a 4string but I dont know anything about guitars so not sure what to look for (pickups, neck material, tuning ease etc) I would estimate my budget at $300 tops and would also like to get an amp although it is not required right away so if I can get a better Bass then I really would rather have that than a package deal. Also what is a good dvd/book to start out with?

Thanks

PQleyR 07-17-2009 02:13 AM

Re: Help picking my 2nd instrument (BASS)

I've always liked Ibanez for bass, their budget ones are pretty decent. I'm not so keen on Squier.

For that money, to be honest, you'd be best off just trying a few out and seeing what works for you.

what the funk of it 07-17-2009 04:43 AM

Hmm.....

You won't have too much fun playing a bass with no amp.

Class A Drummer 07-17-2009 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhzoso (Post 594723)
I decided to take up the Bass guitar as my 2nd instrument, hoping it will help my drumming more than anything but ya never know. Can you folks recommend a decent starter Bass? I am thinking just a 4string but I dont know anything about guitars so not sure what to look for (pickups, neck material, tuning ease etc) I would estimate my budget at $300 tops and would also like to get an amp although it is not required right away so if I can get a better Bass then I really would rather have that than a package deal. Also what is a good dvd/book to start out with?

Thanks

You could always pick up one of those pocket amps that you can attach to your belt. I think those are pretty cheap.

Maybe you might be able to find some sort of rental deal. At my local music store, i rented a guitar and amp. Either both were 25$ per month, or the amp was 25 but they gave me a really cool deal. Lets say the amp was worth 200$, after 8 months of renting, i gave the store 200$, so at that point they let me keep the amp. (i dont remember the numbers clearly enough but thats how it worked, and maybe you can set something like that up).

Concrete Pete 07-17-2009 08:05 AM

I suggest you go used--check craigslist, or better yet--local pawn shops. I hear a LOT of starving musicians are selling/hocking gear, and you could save some major bucks.

Good luck on that venture, and plan on getting some serious fingertip callouses to go with your drumming callouses! Let us know how you do.

Cheers,
C. P.

PQleyR 07-17-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Class A Drummer (Post 594856)

Maybe you might be able to find some sort of rental deal. At my local music store, i rented a guitar and amp. Either both were 25$ per month, or the amp was 25 but they gave me a really cool deal. Lets say the amp was worth 200$, after 8 months of renting, i gave the store 200$, so at that point they let me keep the amp. (i dont remember the numbers clearly enough but thats how it worked, and maybe you can set something like that up).

This is a good idea, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Class A Drummer (Post 594856)

You could always pick up one of those pocket amps that you can attach to your belt. I think those are pretty cheap.

You'd barely hear the bass through one of those...bass is something for which a good amp is almost more important than a good bass. A $5000 bass through a $50 amp will sound cheap. The other way round, great big bassy sound!

nhzoso 07-17-2009 02:42 PM

The reason I dont need an amp right away is because my band practices in my basement and they leave all the amps and PA here so I can just plug into those for now.

PQleyR 07-17-2009 02:52 PM

Oh I see. Well, in that case it's really up to you as to what you like! What kind of music are you going to be playing?

nhzoso 07-17-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQleyR (Post 594930)
Oh I see. Well, in that case it's really up to you as to what you like! What kind of music are you going to be playing?

Ahh I see, Hey thanks man, that is really helpful.

eddiehimself 07-17-2009 05:24 PM

what you need to do is get your arse off down to a music shop and try out a few basses, which one "feels" the best? That one you should buy.

PreppieNerd 07-17-2009 05:24 PM

I did the same thing a few months ago. I bought a cheap dean for about $100. I haven't had any problems with it, and I'm only using ot for learning on, not worried about gigs. I haven't bought an amp yet either (have a PA) I know my bassist friends would get on me about tone, but right now I'm not worried about playing out with it.

As far as learning to play, if you know some basic music theory you're set. Once I knew what to tune the strings to (EADG) then realized each fret is a half-step, you can find any note you need. I have a friend who learned to play bass just by ear playing along with the radio. It's fun stuff.

brotherbaker 07-17-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhzoso (Post 594723)
recommend a decent starter Bass?

Thanks

I have played/heard some of the lower end Schecters that really have great tone & playability. There are a lot of variables, of course, just wanted to throw that out there.

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-17-2009 07:23 PM

I own a Yamaha BB414. It is a great bass for the price and as everything Yamaha, well built and solid. Sounds good and plays well, although I've done some work on mine to lower the action further than the factory setup (that included lowering the pickups slightly as well). Nothing too fancy, but covers most sonic basses, is well made and plays well. Highly recommended.

Strangelove 07-17-2009 10:09 PM

Fender Jazz Bass, of course - is there any other?

Then learn to play drums on the bass, lol:

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-thu...s-Johnson-1550

Louis is slaying those octave-runs on an Ernie Ball Music Man, no less!

Edit: never mind, just saw the $300 limit and see that Fender has skyrocketed on the MIM Standard Jazz bass since I bought mine a few years back.

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-17-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strangelove (Post 595047)
Fender Jazz Bass, of course - is there any other?

Then learn to play drums on the bass:

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-thu...s-Johnson-1550

Jazz and Precision Basses are great. I'm wanting a black P-bass with a varnished maple neck (and black scratch plate) at the moment, but I'm not sure they fit within the $300 price range? What kind of prices are the Mexican basses going for in the US?

Strangelove 07-17-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat (Post 595060)
Jazz and Precision Basses are great. I'm wanting a black P-bass with a varnished maple neck (and black scratch plate) at the moment, but I'm not sure they fit within the $300 price range? What kind of prices are the Mexican basses going for in the US?

Yeah, I had to edit that, as I bought my MIM Standard J Bass 3 years ago, and see that Fender has literally skyrocketed on the price of those. Now they go for as much as I paid for a Marcus Miller J Bass back in 2003. Ridiculous!

Although, this Squier looks real nice, and checkout the reviews:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend....ass?sku=519639

I would get that one, if I were looking for a first bass now.

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-17-2009 11:16 PM

I tend to find the Squiers are very variable. Some are really great instruments (an old friend has a Squier Strat he bought about eight years ago that is FANTASTIC) and some are really rather poor. With that said, if you're a dab hand with a soldering iron and work out how to set things up, Squier instruments can be modified.

Strangelove 07-17-2009 11:27 PM

BTW, the P Bass you refer to is probably around $700 USD for a Mexican made vesion.

I love the varnished maple fretboards, myself, especially on a J or P bass, but also on Strats and Tele's.

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-17-2009 11:31 PM

Maple fretboards are the way forward. Birdseye maple on my Strat. B-e-a-utiful.

Strangelove 07-17-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat (Post 595067)
Maple fretboards are the way forward. Birdseye maple on my Strat. B-e-a-utiful.

Vous parlez Fender tres bien, lol.

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-17-2009 11:40 PM

Oui, c'est correct! Tres bien.

GRUNTERSDAD 07-18-2009 01:42 AM

Just for catalog sake I would check out Musicians Friend to see what is close to your budget and read the reviews. you don't have to buy there but you will get an idea. then you can check eBay or Craigslist or your local stores. They have a ton of variety on basses with reviews.

PQleyR 07-18-2009 03:38 AM

The only trouble with maple necks is you can't clean them as easily, so they can end up looking a bit mucky...

Kenny Allyn 07-19-2009 01:05 AM

Interesting I'm a bass player, taking up drums ...

I would suggest the Fender Squier Affinity series P bass, my guitar player has one and it's great.

I actually use my bass too help me learn drums, I use a Boss "looper" and record a bass line then play it back through my bass amp ...

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-19-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQleyR (Post 595106)
The only trouble with maple necks is you can't clean them as easily, so they can end up looking a bit mucky...

It's all about finding the right cleaning fluids. I use whatever I think might work, often followed by a coat of beeswax. It works very well indeed.

drumhead61 07-19-2009 01:26 AM

And then there is this: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend....olo?sku=519527

which can get you started and make the best of it all.

Strangelove 07-19-2009 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat (Post 595261)
It's all about finding the right cleaning fluids. I use whatever I think might work, often followed by a coat of beeswax. It works very well indeed.

Unless, of course, one desires that road worn look. I bury my Basses for months in the back yard to get that worn down finish. My drum sticks, too. I like all my wood warped, too.

BTW, Drumhead61, that is a very nice looking beginners setup.

GRUNTERSDAD 07-19-2009 03:29 AM

But he, the OP, did say he doesn't need an amp since his band leaves their there so he can spend the money on a better bass.

eddiehimself 07-19-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD (Post 595279)
But he, the OP, did say he doesn't need an amp since his band leaves their there so he can spend the money on a better bass.

yep true. I would personally reccomend looking at a peavey bass?

victoriousmusic 07-19-2009 04:27 PM

I own a Luna Andromeda Bass and it works for what I use it for. (recording) It was only $200 when we got it, it was a discontinued model. It has active electronics in it and separate treble and bass knobs, which help to get sound you want without having to have another bass. 4 string is good to start on IMO. I have a Trace Elliot bass amp that works great for bass and/or keyboard.
I have played on Peavey, Ibanez basses as well and they are good too. I really liked the Peavey a little better though (can't recall the exact model, but it was expensive like $1,000 or more. I had thought of getting an Ibanez Ergodyne bass at one time, but passed. They have good reviews too.
What I have works great for what I do and I should mention that my old band's bass player played my Luna one practice and went out and bought one of his own.
The Luna has a thin neck but not a short scale bass. They are recommended for those with smaller hands.
Hope this helps

ermghoti 07-20-2009 01:44 AM

Rondo Music sells their SX line for cheap. P's J's. P/Js and more modern designs, mostly under $150. I've bought two, one for me and one for a gift, and I e-know a lot of people with them. They are pretty darn good. Not as nice as my Mexican or Japanese Fenders, but extremely formidable, for the price. I ended up putting Bartolinis and a BaddassII bridge on mine (castaways from other projects) and for about $400 total, it's now a monster.

With the money saved, pick up a Sansamp to run through your PA, you'll be golden.

asht89 07-23-2009 01:37 AM

Squier jazz basses or p basses would be a good start. the ones ive seen have all sounded great, especially for the price. if you can afford it, it might be worth putting a bit extra and going for a mexican one. Im not much of a bassist at all though. I know some of the yamaha basses are pretty good

nhzoso 07-30-2009 11:17 PM

So do you think I should get a short stack or long? People say it's easier to learn on a short one but is that really beneficial? Why not just learn on a long one since if I ever get good enough to play in a band or something the good sounding basses are probably long ones and it will be like starting over trying to get used to the bigger frets and stretching the small muscles even more to reach em.

I think I am gonna get a 4-string even though it sort of goes against the previously stated logic, I think it would be easier to go to a 5 string after learning on a 4, can you get more out of a 5 string or is it like adding another tom to your kit? it's nice but not really required.

Thanks for the input guys

Christ-Hammer 08-03-2009 10:29 AM

Ya your not going to get an accurate answer on what bass to use here, the only place you will find that answer is at your local music shop that lets you try the equipment out of course. Btw learning multiple instruments truly does help drumming, I know from experience.... I can write full parts to songs out in my head put them to each instrument and it just helps so much. It is really such a gift and talent to be able to play multiple instruments and it helps so much in the writing phase.

Christ-Hammer 08-03-2009 10:31 AM

I would also just recommend how many strings based on how complex you want the music to be or in my case how heavy :D...... I would go with a long either way as well.

eddiehimself 08-03-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhzoso (Post 598782)
So do you think I should get a short stack or long? People say it's easier to learn on a short one but is that really beneficial? Why not just learn on a long one since if I ever get good enough to play in a band or something the good sounding basses are probably long ones and it will be like starting over trying to get used to the bigger frets and stretching the small muscles even more to reach em.

I think I am gonna get a 4-string even though it sort of goes against the previously stated logic, I think it would be easier to go to a 5 string after learning on a 4, can you get more out of a 5 string or is it like adding another tom to your kit? it's nice but not really required.

Thanks for the input guys

No don't bother with short scale. No point really. 5 strings is a BIT like adding an extra tom but really it's different. If you have a smaller drum kit, you can play the same fill or whatever on less drums and it's not too much of a problem. But if you don't have the low B of a 5 string, you can't just substitute the notes on the higher strings and the bassline will sound a lot different. Whether it's needed or not depends entirely on what music you play. Generally the type of music that requires the extra low end is modern sorts of low tuned metal and also jazz. (you heard me)

Mediocrefunkybeat 08-03-2009 11:46 PM

Learn on a full scale. I like short scale basses, but that's a personal preference and it's easier to get hold of good quality long scale.