DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Question: Logic for a Mac (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51411)

Joe P 07-01-2009 08:40 AM

Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Hey guys. I want to get Logic for my Mac, but I'm not sure whether to get Logic Express or Logic Studio (the whole package). Does anyone with experience with Logic have any light to shed on this topic.

First off, the money difference is not an issue, but I don't know if I'd be getting much more than I'd need with Logic Studio or if I wouldn't get everything I wanted with Logic Express. As for what I want to be able to do with the software, it's of course recording (drums and other instruments) and using a midi controller to creating music digitally.

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-01-2009 08:49 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
If you are a student, Pro is the best way forward. I know you say price makes no difference, but to put it in perspective it cost me 120 to get the full version of Pro Studio. Phenomenal pricing. I have used 7 Express and 8 Pro and I can say that Pro is worth the upgrade. Although Express is a very, very capable DAW, the extras that come with Pro become more invaluable the more you use it. I've noticed I'm using a lot of the 'Sculpture' synth patch and some of the other advanced plug-ins as well as 'Waveburner' for a lot of my CD finalisation. Logic Studio is so much more than just Logic, all the applications are useful. If money is no object, Pro. If money is an object, Express is very capable. Logic has been my DAW of choice for three years now and I've used 5.5, 6 Express, 7 Express and Pro and 8 Pro extensively and I can say that 8 Pro is by far the best of the lot.

I'm also looking at getting Ableton 8 and Max for Ableton.

To check the student pricing go onto Apple and search for the 'Education' section. You'll have to enter your region and school and it should tell you what you are entitled to for all Apple products. Logic is on a fixed price, but I don't know what the American pricing is.

Brundlefly 07-01-2009 09:12 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Get the studio version. If you were just using it to write music and get demo ideas out, then I'd opt for Express. But since you are recording, I'd go for the whole thing (and I did).

PQleyR 07-01-2009 02:26 PM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
I must admit that I struggled to get good results out of Logic. I've always felt the sound has a certain...digital quality about it that I can't work with comfortably (for a long time I thought that the idea of different DAWs having different sounds didn't make sense, but it turns out that other people think this as well as me). I've never finished a mix in Logic that I was totally happy with. I also find it less logically set out (ironically) than Cubase, which is my DAW of choice and has been for some time. It depends what your priorities are, really.

Joe P 07-02-2009 03:46 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
It's decided then, I'll be picking up Logic Studio pretty soon! Very exciting!

Billy Brown 07-02-2009 05:24 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe P (Post 590737)
It's decided then, I'll be picking up Logic Studio pretty soon! Very exciting!

That's a bad idea. If you have to ask the question, then you should get the lower version.

Let me see how the differences work out. Give me proof. Previous posters offer no evidence of difference. Just because they drop opinions about gear means nothing. You can PM me, and I'll show you how to get great sounds out of cheap software--Tracktion (about a 100 bucks)--and no interface. Technique is everything...money is nothing.

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-02-2009 05:36 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Brown (Post 590759)
That's a bad idea. If you have to ask the question, then you should get the lower version.

Let me see how the differences work out. Give me proof. Previous posters offer no evidence of difference. Just because they drop opinions about gear means nothing. You can PM me, and I'll show you how to get great sounds out of cheap software--Tracktion (about a 100 bucks)--and no interface. Technique is everything...money is nothing.

I'm talking about the Pro Applications. I have given examples. I've also given examples of the plugins with Logic Pro and furthermore I have real experience with a lot of the versions. Sure, technique is everything and I use cheap software too sometimes, but that's like saying that Pure Data is better than Max/MSP. It's just not.

dwsabianguy 07-02-2009 05:39 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Express is the same as Logic Pro but without all the jam packs and extras of that sort. It's the same DAW otherwise.

I have Logic Express 8 and it's fantastic. I used Cubase LE before I got Logic, and there's a massive difference in sound quality. I'm sure the high-end versions of Cubase sound great, but Logic will have as much detail as you'll need, as long as your A/D or interface will supply it. You can always get the upgrade from Express 8 to Logic Studio 9 when the time comes.

Joe P 07-03-2009 03:54 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Well, I knew that much. I think I'm going to be doing as much playing around with it as recording. Therefore, all the extras will come in handy - if not to my use then to my enjoyment.

jonescrusher 07-03-2009 12:59 PM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
I'd also suggest getting Pro, especially if you can get it on student discount. With Express, there'll doubtless come a time when you reach for some functionality that won't be available to you, especially with some plugins. The Jam packs are great too.

elpol 07-03-2009 06:53 PM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Space Designer.

Pro has it, Express does not. Love that verb! Get Pro.

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-03-2009 07:12 PM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by elpol (Post 591161)
Space Designer.

Pro has it, Express does not. Love that verb! Get Pro.

And you also get the 'Impulse Response' application which allows you to measure the responses of spaces and place them into the Space Designer plugin. The 'Impulse Response' application works with any number of outputs and inputs you wish to use, within reason.

PQleyR 07-03-2009 07:25 PM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Ooh yes, and in my experience Space Designer is the only reverb in Logic worth using.

My problem has always been that with AVerb/SilverVerb/GoldVerb/PlatinumVerb etc you can hear the individual delays that make up the reverb, which isn't really what I want from a reverb plugin!

Drumatix 07-31-2009 05:44 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Logic Studio - which is the only way to get Logic Pro 8 - also offers WaveBurner, MainStage, SoundTrack Pro 2, Compressor and 36+ GB of additional sound/Apple Loop library (including all Jam Packs except "Voices"). None of this comes with Logic Express.

Logic Express 8 is actually the same as Logic Pro 8 - without the following features:
- Support for high-end control surfaces (Euphonix, SmartAV)
- DAE/TDM support
- DAP (distributed audio processing with Logic Node)
- Surround
- EVP88
- EVB3
- EVD6
- Sculpture
- Space Designer
- Delay Designer
- Linear Phase EQ
- Match EQ
- Multipressor (there is only the 'Preset Multipressor' as in LE7)
- AdLimiter
- Multimeter

I think that's enough now, get Logic Studio 8!!

Mediocrefunkybeat 08-01-2009 11:09 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Actually, Logic 9 JUST came out...

73Rogers 08-06-2009 02:57 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Logic Express 9 Academic = $179

Logic Studio 9 Academic = $449

Mediocrefunkybeat 08-06-2009 09:59 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 73Rogers (Post 600648)
Logic Express 9 Academic = $179

Logic Studio 9 Academic = $449

I can't look at the academic discounts at the moment (it will only work if I'm on my Uni network). Is that the full student discounted versions? In which case, I'm glad I bought Logic 8 when I did!

73Rogers 08-06-2009 08:56 PM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat (Post 600728)
I can't look at the academic discounts at the moment (it will only work if I'm on my Uni network). Is that the full student discounted versions? In which case, I'm glad I bought Logic 8 when I did!

It's $50 off the retail price apparently. Here's the release I got a couple weeks ago:

"The updated Logic Studio package brings significant revisions to Apple's flagship audio application suite, bringing major changes to Logic Pro and MainStage and incorporating over 200 new features.
Apple today unveiled the next version of Logic Studio with major upgrades to Logic Pro and MainStage and more than 200 new features that simplify complex tasks. Logic Pro 9 features new Amp Designer and Pedalboard plug-ins that provide realistic virtual guitar amps and stompbox effects to create amazing custom guitar rigs. A new set of Flex Time tools allow Logic users to manipulate the timing and tempo of audio quickly and easily. MainStage 2, Apple's live performance application, includes the new Playback and Loopback plug-ins to provide backing tracks and creative, real-time loop recording for performing on stage. Logic Studio also includes the new Soundtrack Pro 3, with new multitrack audio tools for video production, and Compressor 3.5 for encoding in a variety of formats.

Logic Studio is priced at $499, and existing users can upgrade for $199. Apple will also be releasing an updated version of Logic Express, a slimmed-down version of Logic targeted at GarageBand users looking for additional tools, in August for $199."

Mediocrefunkybeat 08-07-2009 09:45 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
No biggie then. 100 for an upgrade, but I don't think it's worth it. The deal I got last year was that academics last year got Logic Studio 8 for 120 - to 'hook us in', not that that was necessary with me. I have other applications that can do everything that they're trying to sell as new features, so there's no point in the upgrade for me.

PQleyR 08-11-2009 02:10 AM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
What's new in 9, then?

d.c.drummer 08-13-2009 08:12 PM

Re: Question: Logic for a Mac
 
I guess I'm the only soul-less person who just downloaded it for free from the internet. (with every intention to buy it of course, LS9 looks pretty good.)

Any way, I agree with most of the sentiments here. Its all about where you want to go. Whereas the typical musical tinkerer can do with garage band, and most people who want to do a few decent recording swith nothing too fancy can go with Logic Express.... anyone who plans to spend a good amount of time using and doesnt have a money problem should go for the studio.

The things that you are able to do on it are amazing and can help you make really quality recordings and projects. In the beginning all the features may seem a little overwhelming, but speaking from personal experience, you will learn to use and appreciate them.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com