DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Bands that are better live (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50063)

TheGroceryman 05-17-2009 02:06 AM

Bands that are better live

So I got back from a concert thursday night, saw The Bad Plus at Merkin Hall in NYC. After my initial reaction of being completely blown away, by both the opening band (Marco Benevento trio, they were incredible!!) and the bad plus it got me thinkin. What bands in your opinion are better live? I'm only 17 so i havnt been to too many concerts, but I'll comment on some of them.

The foo fighters at MSG, front row, bout 15 feet away from them. They were extremely energetic, and they played flawlessly. IMO, they are better live than on their recordings.

Godsmack at the Saratoga performing arts center. They, too played flawlessly, but to a fault. They were too spot on. They hardly changed a thing from their recordings, including almost all the drummer's fills and beats. I like to hear variation and new things from a concert, not just the same songs i listen to all the time. so they're the exact same live versus recordings.

The bad plus, easily the best musicians i've ever seen/heard. They are so tight, so creative, so different. You never get the same thing from them twice, which is why you always feel like you need to see them again and again. they're soooo much better live than on recordings.

Dave Matthews Band. Havnt seem them live yet, in June I'll probly be able to confirm this but from the live albums I have, they seem better live. They change up their songs a lot, and for the better. Carter beauford seems like he goes even more berserk live, and they just seem entertaining as hell.

What say you?

metal overlord 05-17-2009 06:09 AM

Re: bands that are better live

God Forbid
As I Lay Dying

that's all I can think of at the moment.

tbmills 05-17-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGroceryman (Post 575816)
Dave Matthews Band. Havnt seem them live yet, in June I'll probly be able to confirm this but from the live albums I have, they seem better live. They change up their songs a lot, and for the better. Carter beauford seems like he goes even more berserk live, and they just seem entertaining as hell.

dave is much better live. ive seen them 7 times and am not stopping.

galactic is absolutely incredible live. stanton is ridiculous. i still havent seen his trio but i will on may 29th (my 21st birthday!) in tallahassee.

zambizzi 05-17-2009 07:39 AM

Glad you enjoyed Bad+ - those guys are absolute virtuosos. Dave King is a superb drummer.

I think most bands are better live...at least what I listen to. I've been to a few shows in the past where the band sucked live...or the performance was disappointing somehow. Usually it's the other way around.

Ian Williams 05-17-2009 07:44 AM

AC/DC, Van Halen, KISS...

razorx 05-17-2009 07:54 AM

Kiss is definitely better live as apposed to the studio. The sound isn't as dry. Ozzy is good live(not his vocals) his band is really good live. Shadows Fall was great live too. They get my pick for tightest metal performance.

joshisaces 05-17-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metal overlord (Post 575880)
God Forbid
As I Lay Dying

that's all I can think of at the moment.

YES.
Ismfof is better live also.

joshisaces 05-17-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorx (Post 575903)
Kiss is definitely better live as apposed to the studio. The sound isn't as dry. Ozzy is good live(not his vocals) his band is really good live. Shadows Fall was great live too. They get my pick for tightest metal performance.

You know what? I was screwed up for the longest time about the difference between Senses Fail and Shadows Fall. That just cleared it up (for some reason).

metal overlord 05-17-2009 08:23 AM

Oh dude Shadows Fall is a beast live, I cannot believe I forgot them.
Jason Bittner blew me away.

trysthedrummer 05-17-2009 01:11 PM

Maybe a little overhyped, but I'll be the first one to say Muse then, they have a great team behind them.

I still reckon Porcupine Tree was one of the best gigs I have been too.

razorx 05-17-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metal overlord (Post 575911)
Oh dude Shadows Fall is a beast live, I cannot believe I forgot them.
Jason Bittner blew me away.

I' ve met him in person and have seen him at a clinic. I have his bass gong drum head signed by all of the members of the the band. He also signed his dvd for me that he is out.

razorx 05-17-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshisaces (Post 575910)
You know what? I was screwed up for the longest time about the difference between Senses Fail and Shadows Fall. That just cleared it up (for some reason).

Lol that's funny considering one is extreme metal while the other is pop/punk. Senses Fail are okay.

Pass.of.E.r.a. 05-17-2009 08:07 PM

Dream Theater, Opeth and Three.

I mean Dream Theater is already a beast on studio recordings, but live there soooo much better.

same goes for opeth, just watching the keyboardist is like half the show.

-Jonathan

wolfmoon 05-18-2009 04:19 AM

Re: Bands that are better live

Styx and Fleetwood Mac come across much better live than on record.... I think..

805Drummer 05-18-2009 04:45 AM

I might get laughed at for this, but Bowling For Soup. Their music is more funny than cheesy when it's live.

zzdrummer 05-18-2009 04:49 AM

Ozomatli. Anyone hear of them? They parade through the aisles with a bunch of horns and drums, so tight. There a rcok/latin/rap band out of LA.

joshisaces 05-18-2009 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorx (Post 576029)
Lol that's funny considering one is extreme metal while the other is pop/punk. Senses Fail are okay.

I don't like Senses Fail at all which is why I found it hard to believe that Bittner would sink so low as to join a crappy band XD

THEN I found out he didn't. The world is safe, "and so is the formula."

razorx 05-18-2009 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshisaces (Post 576235)
I don't like Senses Fail at all which is why I found it hard to believe that Bittner would sink so low as to join a crappy band XD

THEN I found out he didn't. The world is safe, "and so is the formula."

Jason BIttner could play that stuff in his sleep if he ever had to sink that low.

oldrockdrummer 05-19-2009 01:35 AM

Greatfull Dead was always better live so was Little Feet

LinearDrummer 05-19-2009 06:43 AM

I went thru a Mod-Ska period when I was in my early 20s and I would definetly have to say records do not do bands like The Specials, Madness, and The English Beat justice....

Those live shows were without a doubt some of the best times I've ever had watching a concert....

nacdrummer3 05-19-2009 08:07 AM

opeth and three....both bands amazing live....and rush

Crusto 62 05-19-2009 08:19 AM

Tool
Bullet for My Valentine
AC/DC
My Morning Jacket
Midnight Oil
Neil Young
Live
Electric Mary
Mammal
The Casanovas

what the funk of it 05-19-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacdrummer3 (Post 576638)
opeth and three....both bands amazing live....and rush

Hmm, Three eh? Kinda odd how much mention they're getting in the thread. They were good though. Did you catch them at the Pheonix last year with PT?

I saw the Tragically Hip on Friday - they we're incredible! Gord Downey is an awesome frontman and really makes their live shows stand out.

CAUSE IT WAS IN BOBCAYGEON!!!

metal overlord 05-20-2009 12:18 AM

Judas Priest
Iron Maiden

wow, I can't believe I forgot those. Those bands are the reason I'm going to so many concerts (those were my first 2 shows) and loving every moment of it.

FourOnSix 05-20-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzdrummer (Post 576205)
Ozomatli. Anyone hear of them? They parade through the aisles with a bunch of horns and drums, so tight. There a rcok/latin/rap band out of LA.

they opened for OAR at the festival pier in philly. they were pretty tight, they did a couple marley tunes justice and they were able to get a very hot sweaty drunk crowd into a good mood. i wasn't a huge fan of the music itself but they definately put on a good show.

OAR is definately better live.

other bands that were better live then i probably expected them to be:
Brand New
Jack Johnson
Flogging Molly
Ben Harper
Less Then Jake
Ted Leo & the Pharmacists
Catch22/Streetlight Manifesto

razorx 05-20-2009 08:06 AM

After tonight I'm going to add Buckcherry to the list.

NIMBY 05-20-2009 08:59 AM

My god, Less Than Jake live is incredible. Funnest(?) show I've been to.

rendezvous_drummer 05-20-2009 11:05 AM

Radiohead
U2
Cold War Kids
Stars

TwistedCamel 05-20-2009 11:17 PM

Between the Buried and Me sounds amazing live.

Ian Williams 05-21-2009 06:12 AM

I really enjoy THE WHO live than on record, they are or were full of energy, explosive and dangerous, so rebellious on stage.

Construct 05-21-2009 05:07 PM

Dethklok
The Faceless
Sanctity
Enemy Reign
Cynic
Meshuggah (not necessarily "better", but they do put on a flawless performance)

JT1 05-21-2009 05:21 PM

I have seen so many bands live but the best were,

Judas Priest
The Scorpions
Kiss
Megadeth
Testament
Saxon
Beyond the buried and me
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Meshuggah
The Darkness (yes i know) lol

Are all phenominal live, especially Priest man they put on an awesome show. Meshuggah surprised me most at how good their sound was live. Kiss were spectacular though all over the top and everything, brilliant. I'm hoping to see Rammstein on their next world tour so i can add those to the list. The Darkness were a good band i don't care what anyone says and it was my very first concert that i went to.

bonzolead 05-21-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT1 (Post 577589)

Judas Priest
The Scorpions
Kiss
Megadeth
Testament
Saxon
Beyond the buried and me
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Meshuggah

Are all phenominal live, especially Priest man they put on an awesome show. Meshuggah surprised me most at how good their sound was live. Kiss were spectacular though all over the top and everything, brilliant. I'm hoping to see Rammstein on their next world tour so i can add those to the list. The Darkness were a good band i don't care what anyone says and it was my very first concert that i went to.

Great list I do agree with the scorps,DT,megadeth,Kiss & JP i've seen them all live and they are great to see live I would also add Badlands,ELP & Deep Purple,Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush,Stevie Ray Vaughn and the original Black Sabbath(Ozzy,Geezer,Tony & Bill) with Pantera Opening..........Great show.

Bonzolead

metal overlord 05-21-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT1 (Post 577589)

Judas Priest
The Scorpions
Kiss
Megadeth
Testament
Saxon
Beyond the buried and me
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Meshuggah

Let me tell you, this man speaks the truth.
Although I never got into Kiss much.

cjl71178 05-22-2009 09:31 PM

yes
incubus
spock's beard
audioslave
ben folds five

Bloodlinejake 05-22-2009 10:57 PM

the devil wears prada puts on a hell of a show..they are breathless by the time the show is over..but nevertheless amazing

spides666 05-27-2009 04:11 AM

One band who stand out a mile for me is SLAYER

I think on record it never grabs the intensity.....and yet you can. Pantera on record were awesome. But Slayer's production is toilet...........they should have killed off Rick Rubin years ago.

If I had a dollar for everytime Kerry King says this new album is more raw and will take your face off etc.............yawn

Get it home, not even moving my cat!!!

Live they are awesome, seen them like 30 times since '86..........

I don't even listen to their albums these days..........

Bonz0 05-27-2009 04:14 AM

I love the old Metallica live performances (1984 - 1999) and Rush, they never stop to amaze me..

spides666 05-27-2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

I love the old Metallica live performances (1984 - 1999)
Yeah when Lars could keep up in Battery.........

ugotpwnd 06-07-2009 04:09 AM

Godsmack, singer is awesme live, as well as the rest of the band.