DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Drummer's kryptonite? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46026)

TraxxFactor 01-10-2009 04:56 PM

Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Hey guys, I was watching Superman Returns recently on TV and they brought up the subject of kryptonite. I sat there thinking and thought of the question: what is a drummer's kryptonite? My answer would be a flat-out terrible kit. What are your opinions and thoughts?

caddywumpus 01-10-2009 05:03 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
My kryptonite is playing with a lousy band with musicians who don't listen to each other. I still do my job, but if it isn't grooving together, I feel kind of weak in the joints. Also, when I'm on tour for more than 2 weeks. That's when the road fatigue sets in..

Wavelength 01-10-2009 05:17 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
My kryptonite is an extended family holiday without any practice time for several weeks. I'm still recuperating from last christmas...

eddiehimself 01-10-2009 11:26 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
What really stops me from being able to play well, in any instrument as well as the drums, is when someone in the band is playing wrong. It just really puts me off. I can't feel the groove when the wrong notes are being played if that makes sense?

That Guy 01-10-2009 11:37 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Drugs

20202020202020

tbmills 01-11-2009 12:54 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by caddywumpus (Post 525990)
My kryptonite is playing with a lousy band with musicians who don't listen to each other.

hit the nail on the head. that is unbelievably frustrating. i band that listens to one another can do anything.

my other kryptonite is a singer who doesnt do his homework.
learn the damn songs.

drummer girl09 01-11-2009 02:12 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by That Guy (Post 526125)
Drugs

20202020202020

What's up with the 202020 etc. thing? I've seen it before, I have no clue what it means though.

Mine would be though, that the singer is TOTALLY off tune. It just ruins the whole song. And comparing other great awesome drummers to me. But I'm slowly getting over it.

larryace 01-11-2009 02:32 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Drummergirl, any post has to be 20 characters minimum in length. People type 20202020 to fulfill the requirement.

drummer girl09 01-11-2009 02:44 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryace (Post 526178)
Drummergirl, any post has to be 20 characters minimum in length. People type 20202020 to fulfill the requirement.

Oh...that makes sense. Thanks.

Pass.of.E.r.a. 01-11-2009 04:03 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
percussionists who play too much, and dont know how to count..... dont get me wrong, i mean i love playing with percussionists, it just when they dont know there place in a song......actually that it could be any instrument for that matter *shutters*

what my drum teacher calls "Jazzers" which is a musican (typically jazz it seems, but i mean no dis-respect to any jazz musicans) who doesn't actually learn the song and just reads the charts, and doesn't groove with the rest of the band.... most frustrating

and of course performing with a very atracttive female lead singer......distracting....lol

-Jonathan

tbmills 01-11-2009 04:16 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. (Post 526209)
percussionists who play too much, and dont know how to count..... dont get me wrong, i mean i love playing with percussionists, it just when they dont know there place in a song......actually that it could be any instrument for that matter *shutters*

my bass player doesnt know that his instrument isnt a guitar.
he is constantly leaving me out to dry playing too high, not hitting the root on the end of the measure...
frustrating. i just want rhythmic support. too much to ask?

i played with a drummer friend of mine a while back and he never stopped doing fills.
when he did stop id let the groove breathe for a bit. when id be about to start messing around, hed start back up.
if you play with another drummer, remember groove rhythm and time first. fills and showing off second. imo.

Wegadrummer 01-11-2009 08:13 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Drum machines... If there is a drum machine, your done, fired, to bad and out of job

Mr. Dyck 01-11-2009 11:36 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Singers who try to dictate to everyone else, thinking they're the boss. They tend to forget that the band has the ability to make them look good or really bad. A little constructive criticism is fine but when you struggle holding a tune and then try to tell everyone else they are off and how to play it right, I don't think so.

genericdrummingusername 01-12-2009 12:02 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Lead Guitarists. 'Nuff said.

Class A Drummer 01-12-2009 12:03 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Sabian B8's or trips to the coast.

Khaine88 01-12-2009 12:06 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
your main pedal leg starting to spasm after a 6 hour band practise and then you can no longer keep time or rythem

Class A Drummer 01-12-2009 12:16 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
or playing with a bad bass player who just cant keep it together.

OR

a stupid conductor or band member who tells you to play something that just sounds bad, then yells at you for playing it exactly how he/she says to.

TraxxFactor 01-12-2009 12:40 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Dyck (Post 526516)
Singers who try to dictate to everyone else, thinking they're the boss. They tend to forget that the band has the ability to make them look good or really bad. A little constructive criticism is fine but when you struggle holding a tune and then try to tell everyone else they are off and how to play it right, I don't think so.

The singer in my garage band is always telling me to play softer or slower and I just say, "I don't know what those two words mean and please sing louder."

PQleyR 01-12-2009 03:34 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Bassist playing wrong notes. AAARARGHGGHA!

Rezn8 01-12-2009 04:40 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Funny how a lot of posts are about blaming other musicians. Interesting.

I think when you stop listening or stop improving then you get weaker as a drummer.

For me though, the REAL drummer's kryptonite is a lack of confidence. Often it stems from not being prepared - both physically and mentally. I'm typically my own worst critic - which is helpful to a point - but then it becomes completely detrimental if you let it affect your self-confidence.

By far the worst for me was having my best friend and music-writing partner belittle the way I felt about my own drumming ability. He's an incredible musician on several instruments, and so I put a lot of faith in his criticisms. He praises my other playing and songwriting, but if I'm drums I get several looks from him - like he's saying "what the f*ck is wrong with you?". That used to really mess me up and I allowed that to completely ruin my pocket.

It's funny how that lack of confidence will get right into your limbs and all of sudden you've convinced yourself that you suck. At least that was it for me. I did learn to get passed this though, and being prepared went a long way in building my confidence back up.

On the other hand - you gotta stay humble too. A false sense of self-worth or being over-confident is even worse. I know so many drummer who THINK they are the cat's meow, but they really do suck. Funny how that works.

The Parasprinter 01-14-2009 03:16 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
LSD: Lead Singer's Disease

But seriously, I think ego in general (from any bandmember) can kill any band.

eits1986 01-15-2009 11:52 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
I think decapitation would really inhibit the abilities of almost any drummer.

That Guy 01-15-2009 11:57 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eits1986 (Post 528496)
I think decapitation would really inhibit the abilities of almost any drummer.

Welcome back my friend. I sure missed you around these parts.

eits1986 01-16-2009 12:00 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
NAMBLA has been keeping me busy!

Rockingfreakapotamus 01-16-2009 11:03 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
"symbols"

"rhythem"

singers

left hand


KRYPTONITE

Trench.one 01-16-2009 11:06 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
A heavy dose os Booze does it for me. a couple of beers for dutch courage ,yes! blind drunk, BAD!

elpol 01-16-2009 11:48 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezn8 (Post 526784)
Funny how a lot of posts are about blaming other musicians.

Well, the question is 'kryptonite'. Superman couldn't carry it around himself now, could he ;-)

had to be exposed to it. and I'll go with 'open bar', for those who have trouble drinking responsibly on a gig.

drumguyfromWI 01-17-2009 04:59 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
my kryptonite would have to be lead singers who are tone deaf.

diosdude 01-17-2009 05:53 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Sour notes suck from singers, guitarists and bassists but you can still be superman through all of that, right? That being said, my lead guitarist's lack of timing is my kryptonite. Nothing will kill my groove and collapse my pocket faster than him when he veers off tempo (9 times out of ten he's flying off too fast). All of a sudden, he'll be like a half bar ahead of the band and it becomes a task to try to bring everyone back into sync. I can handle off notes, no sweat but an off-time guitar lick jacknifes the groove.

On a side note, Superman Returns was a box office disaster, mainly because he turned into super-pansy-man and for God sake we're sick of seeing Lex Luther bust out the kryptonite every stinkin' movie, new villain please.

sk8erpnkmt369 01-17-2009 05:59 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Im going to say my kryptonite would be......

lousy musicians...

terrible drum tone....

not having my vic firth phones.....(yes use muffling headphones)

and lastly, having either too heavy sticks, or to light sticks...

Tryitagain 01-17-2009 03:03 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by diosdude (Post 529329)
Sour notes suck from singers, guitarists and bassists but you can still be superman through all of that, right? That being said, my lead guitarist's lack of timing is my kryptonite. Nothing will kill my groove and collapse my pocket faster than him when he veers off tempo (9 times out of ten he's flying off too fast). All of a sudden, he'll be like a half bar ahead of the band and it becomes a task to try to bring everyone back into sync. I can handle off notes, no sweat but an off-time guitar lick jacknifes the groove.

On a side note, Superman Returns was a box office disaster, mainly because he turned into super-pansy-man and for God sake we're sick of seeing Lex Luther bust out the kryptonite every stinkin' movie, new villain please.

This brings up a point I've thought about a few times... why are drummers the only ones that have to practice with a metronome??? I had a guitarist tell me once that my quartz metronome was wrong after he kept pulling ahead of the beat...

Kryptonite? How about rehearsals that turn into drama-soaked therapy sesions?

diosdude 01-17-2009 03:19 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
I'll also add that playing some other dude's kit the other night took away from my superman routine. I'm very meticulous with my setup but this "house kit" i played on sucked so bad. The toms that were bass drum mounted were absolutely huge power toms that were impossible to negotiate a good tom angle with.

diosdude 01-17-2009 03:28 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryitagain (Post 529478)
This brings up a point I've thought about a few times... why are drummers the only ones that have to practice with a metronome??? I had a guitarist tell me once that my quartz metronome was wrong after he kept pulling ahead of the beat...

Kryptonite? How about rehearsals that turn into drama-soaked therapy sesions?


Dude, excellent point, the other night at band practice my lead guitarist was speeding up through a bridge in our song, a part where i only play a cymbal swell roll. He came out of it way too fast and then threw the whole song off when we all jumped back in. My bassist/ lead vocalist turned around and looked right at me and said we were playing too fast and i was like "dude! i wasn't even playing in that part! Don't fricken accuse ME of being off time in a part where I wasn't even playing!" I take it very personally when a dispute over timing is aimed at me.

dkerwood 01-17-2009 04:40 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Class A Drummer (Post 526533)
a stupid conductor or band member who tells you to play something that just sounds bad, then yells at you for playing it exactly how he/she says to.

I have a funny story about that. I was playing in a summer community band several years ago when I was in college. The band performed on an outdoor band shell. We had two directors- one was the high school orchestra director, and the other was high school band (I didn't go to high school there, so I wasn't a student of either). The band director was always fairly short with people so I didn't care for him much.

Well, the last time I ever played for him, we had an interesting march to play for the concert finale. Another high school drummer had come for the rehearsal but had blown off the performance, so I had to sit in on the part. It was a traditional march, but for some reason, instead of bass drum on 1, 3 and snare on 2, 4 (boom chick), it was reversed (chick boom). No problem to me, I'm a senior music major and can read it.

So I start playing, "Chick Boom", and the director immediately looks over at me with frustration on his face and tries to give me a bigger beat. I'm staring right at him and keep the snare coming on 1 and the bass on 2. I'm not sure if he just didn't bother looking at his own chart or what (I'm pretty sure the kid at rehearsal ignored the music and played "boom chick"), but he now starts slowing down and speeding up his tempo in an attempt to get me to turn around my pattern. Like a good musician, of course, I follow his fluctuations, and he's getting angrier and angrier.

After about 64 measures of this cut time battle, the song ends, and after the bows, I'm the first to grab the music and head up front to let him know I was not being disrespectful (and also for a bit of my own ego- I know I wasn't wrong). He listens for about three seconds and then turns away, still furious with me. I head back to start tearing down my gear.

Here's where it gets good. Domed band shell, remember? I'm sitting on one side of the shell, tearing down percussion equipment, and the director was wandered to the opposite side of the shell to talk to a band member. Thanks to the dome, although they are standing more than 30 feet away, I can hear their quiet conversation as if they're standing right next to me. Now I'm hearing the conductor call ME stupid and claim that I ruined the song. Ooooh, now I'm steamed.

I wait for about five minutes and walk up to the director, who has calmed down significantly. I start by saying, "You know, this dome is really cool; you can hear things from the other side of it as if they are right next to you!" He starts rambling about the science of that, but I interrupt, "My point is, if you're going to speak badly of someone, you should make sure you're somewhere that you can't be heard!" I handed him my folder, with the last march music on top, and left.

For the rest of the season, I only played for the orchestra director, and never played for them again after that.

Big_Philly 01-17-2009 05:10 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
I can't stand it when other musicians can't keep proper time.

TraxxFactor 01-18-2009 12:15 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkerwood (Post 529515)
I have a funny story about that. I was playing in a summer community band several years ago when I was in college. The band performed on an outdoor band shell. We had two directors- one was the high school orchestra director, and the other was high school band (I didn't go to high school there, so I wasn't a student of either). The band director was always fairly short with people so I didn't care for him much.

Well, the last time I ever played for him, we had an interesting march to play for the concert finale. Another high school drummer had come for the rehearsal but had blown off the performance, so I had to sit in on the part. It was a traditional march, but for some reason, instead of bass drum on 1, 3 and snare on 2, 4 (boom chick), it was reversed (chick boom). No problem to me, I'm a senior music major and can read it.

So I start playing, "Chick Boom", and the director immediately looks over at me with frustration on his face and tries to give me a bigger beat. I'm staring right at him and keep the snare coming on 1 and the bass on 2. I'm not sure if he just didn't bother looking at his own chart or what (I'm pretty sure the kid at rehearsal ignored the music and played "boom chick"), but he now starts slowing down and speeding up his tempo in an attempt to get me to turn around my pattern. Like a good musician, of course, I follow his fluctuations, and he's getting angrier and angrier.

After about 64 measures of this cut time battle, the song ends, and after the bows, I'm the first to grab the music and head up front to let him know I was not being disrespectful (and also for a bit of my own ego- I know I wasn't wrong). He listens for about three seconds and then turns away, still furious with me. I head back to start tearing down my gear.

Here's where it gets good. Domed band shell, remember? I'm sitting on one side of the shell, tearing down percussion equipment, and the director was wandered to the opposite side of the shell to talk to a band member. Thanks to the dome, although they are standing more than 30 feet away, I can hear their quiet conversation as if they're standing right next to me. Now I'm hearing the conductor call ME stupid and claim that I ruined the song. Ooooh, now I'm steamed.

I wait for about five minutes and walk up to the director, who has calmed down significantly. I start by saying, "You know, this dome is really cool; you can hear things from the other side of it as if they are right next to you!" He starts rambling about the science of that, but I interrupt, "My point is, if you're going to speak badly of someone, you should make sure you're somewhere that you can't be heard!" I handed him my folder, with the last march music on top, and left.

For the rest of the season, I only played for the orchestra director, and never played for them again after that.

Wow, that is one interesting story and that guy really needs some anger management. I don't know about you but I would've clocked that guy right in the face (if there weren't any consequences).

Banzai 01-26-2009 04:26 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
My Kriptonyte is bad monitoring, I get incredibly nervous when I can't hear my the other players.
Also, as someone said, one can accentuate his own bad stuff if he isn't confident, out of nervousness, after any gig I'll end up with my hands and fingers all cramped and soar (more than necessary) because I'm gripping the sticks too damn hard.

Banzai

DrumEatDrum 01-26-2009 06:00 AM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
DJs.

Who needs bands when a club can have a DJ?

Oregan1 10-01-2009 09:18 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Many many things

When you're playing drums, having a good time, grooving or working on a beat
and then a band mamber/college classmate w/e comes over and starts hitting the
cymbals with a stick acquired from a nearby individual. My god man. Just No.

Musicians who don't understand that louder is NOT better. Like turning up to 15 suddenly
turns shit tunes into timeless classics. While every other band member is struggling to hear their part.

ego

and finally
24" kick drums. If my Toms are higher than my head i'm not happy.

oh actually...
the drummer from battles.
What are you trying to prove with your satellite crash cymbal.
Ridiculous.

Thaard 10-01-2009 10:07 PM

Re: Drummer's kryptonite?
 
Bad sound at concerts and bad recording-sessions.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com