DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Gone skiing! (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45524)

drummer girl09 12-28-2008 06:01 PM

Gone skiing!

So I am on a ski trip with some of my family for a week. That means that I will be away from my awesome drums for a week. I hate it, even though I brought my practice pad to hit at least something over the week.

Anyway, I was just wondering, how long have you been away from your drums? Before you started playing of course, and how do you cope with it? It's a question of curiosity, and a question of it might helping me when I do go away from my drums for a good while.

It's kinda a slightly dumb post, but still I've been thinking about it lately.

LM201 12-28-2008 06:14 PM

Re: Gone skiing!

When we moved, I was away from them for 2 months. I just played on my practice pad and tried to think about other things

GRUNTERSDAD 12-28-2008 06:30 PM

Well I went in to the Army, went to college, got married, had a son, son grew up, got divorced, moved to Florida, got my own place, so it was 32 years. So a week or so skiing won't be so bad.

Drumsword 12-28-2008 06:46 PM

I was 3 years away from my kit once, 2 years a second time. But I find being away for a week or so gives me new perspective. and keeps me fresh.

drummerchick435 12-28-2008 06:53 PM

I tend to take half a year off from my drums every year however I do play in my church's band so I always at least maintain my skills.

I don't think taking a week off is a bad thing. Take along a CD/Ipod/Mp3 player and a practice pad and you'll be fine. I actually encourage younger drummers to take a week off at least once a year.

TheGroceryman 12-28-2008 07:09 PM

Jeez whenever im away which is also right now (im in GA seeing my cousin), all i can think about is playing drums/music. I always bring a pad at least, else ill probably go crazy over drum withdrawal. Wild.

Gruntersdad those 32 years must've been hell...

That Guy 12-28-2008 10:58 PM

Total time away... roughly 5 years. I did alot of surfing.

hawk9290 12-29-2008 08:31 PM

5 months because of college. I just suffered my first relapse though. My drums were the only reason I came home (family, friends, ha! its all about the drums!)

John Sharples 12-29-2008 09:05 PM

25 years away. What was I thinking? but I'm back now

drummer girl09 12-30-2008 06:07 PM

Lol, this is one of the moments where I guess I seem to take it for granted. Like a moment where you complain that you don't like your food, and your mother says that people in Africa are starving. 20-30 years of being away! I could barely go maybe two week with out it! But I do agree with Drumsword. It does tend to give you new ideas when you get back on the kit. I'm slow to responding because we have to go to a coffee shop to get internet. Thanks for the responses though!

GRUNTERSDAD 12-30-2008 09:30 PM

By the way. Have fun skiing. Go around the trees.

oops 12-30-2008 10:43 PM

Around?

It's much more fun to go straight through. Or over... Yeah. Go over.

drummer girl09 12-31-2008 05:33 PM

Lol that title is actually kinda wrong...I'm snowboarding. But "gone skiing" sounded better and shorter then "gone snowboarding". But thanks, I will have fun. =]