DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Chad Kent (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4495)

MSUMetal 11-19-2005 05:29 AM

Chad Kent

I'm not big on the technical scene on knowing if drummers are technically sound, but my friend is. I was just wondering what you guys thought of a pretty unknown drummer Chad Kent, he's in the band Atomship. Currently he is probably my favorite drummer, and I would just like to see your guys' opinion about him.

Also, what do you guys think of Chimaira, Trivium, and Shadows Fall's drummers? They're also some of my fav's.

thesam 11-19-2005 07:20 PM

Re: Chad Kent

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSUMetal
I'm not big on the technical scene on knowing if drummers are technically sound, but my friend is. I was just wondering what you guys thought of a pretty unknown drummer Chad Kent, he's in the band Atomship. Currently he is probably my favorite drummer, and I would just like to see your guys' opinion about him.

Also, what do you guys think of Chimaira, Trivium, and Shadows Fall's drummers? They're also some of my fav's.

Chad is a phenominal drummer. I have been listening to them since they were called watership down, Everytime I listen to Mothra I am sure that chad is overdubbing, but once you have seen him live all that goes out the window.

DRMRBOI4 11-19-2005 09:02 PM

Ya Chad is phenominal! He's my second favorite drummer, I love his combinations.

MSUMetal 11-22-2005 03:59 AM

Well I was hoping for a few more responces from people. I guess not many have heard him play, if not you guys need to try out the songs Mothra, Alien, Whitfield, and Agent Orange are my favorite.

The singer isn't bad, but his lyrics....a bit wierd I'll admit, but I grew to like him quickly. I hope some of you guys give a listen and post what you think of him.

And I'm glad that the 2 that have heard/replied think that he's phenominal. But what about the other 3 that I've listed?

tkaihea 03-22-2006 11:37 AM

Anyone Heard of Chad Kent?

I just wanted to see if anyone has ever heard of him. I reckon he is one of the most underated drummers. His technique and style is awesome. If you haven't heard of him before then you should check out his band, Atomship. They are really awesome and I would like to see what others felt about the way he plays.

Check out songs like:
Mothra
Agent Orange (The end part is awesome)
Pencil Fight
Whitfield

Yeah their song topics are really weird, but it's good to see bands that take on different issues. Please just listen to him and tell me what you think of him. I hope that he will appear on the site someday.

www.atomship.com is their official website

MSUMetal 03-22-2006 07:28 PM

Re: Anyone Heard of Chad Kent?

Yeah, I started a thread about him and only got 2 replies...very unknown, hopefully that changes. I tend to bring him up in other conversatoins on occasion. Nice to see another fan of him.

tkaihea 03-23-2006 02:00 AM

Re: Anyone Heard of Chad Kent?

Yeah, it is good to see that at least someone else has heard of him. He is a pretty awesome drummer and he doesn't get too many mentions by people. Yeah I hope that it changes too. Thanks for the reply though.

tkaihea 03-23-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesam
Chad is a phenominal drummer. I have been listening to them since they were called watership down, Everytime I listen to Mothra I am sure that chad is overdubbing, but once you have seen him live all that goes out the window.

LoL yeah I thought that he was overdubbing as well. For a moment there when I was first listening to him, I so thought that there were two drum recordings. I thought that he was way too quick for his own good. You are right though, once you have seen him play live there is no doubt that he is an awesome drummer. I have seen many drummers and bands playing live and so far there is no comparison to Chad.

stumprrp 03-27-2006 01:16 AM

amazing and HEAVILY underrated drummer

MSUMetal 03-29-2006 06:11 AM

Sweet, another Chad Kent fan. I hope some of the regulars check him out and comment, then others will try him out and comment.

I'm really interested to see what others say about him.

stumprrp 03-30-2006 03:17 AM

i know, the if the tre cool thread can have 200 posts then this can!

what are you fav songs?

MSUMetal 03-30-2006 03:23 AM

Mothra for the drumming, Aliens, Whitfield, Pencil Fight are probably my favorite all around songs (and stillt he drumming is sweet in all of them). I like all of their songs pretty much, even though their lyrics are weird as hell, the singer still sounds cool.

stumprrp 03-30-2006 03:31 AM

yeah very david drahman (disturbed) like, i like mothra, agent orange, and dragonfly the best but they are all good.

it makes me very mad when such good drummers IMO dont get credit, you will never hear an alt rock band / hard rock band like this with drumming this good.

Drum Attack 05-30-2006 10:51 PM

Heard Chad recorded a 7+ minute song called B-side that is nothing but drums that was on the prerelease of The Crash of '47. Would love to get a copy of that. Read some place too that he used to gig by himself - just drums.

FilthyRichDrums 08-19-2006 11:17 PM

He is Unreal!!! I stumbled on their song Pencil Fight, and really liked it. Then heard Mothra...WOW. I'd love to get lessons from him and/or find out what he focused on when practicing to get so good

MSUMetal 09-10-2006 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drum Attack
Heard Chad recorded a 7+ minute song called B-side that is nothing but drums that was on the prerelease of The Crash of '47. Would love to get a copy of that. Read some place too that he used to gig by himself - just drums.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone has that song they could let me get a hold of...anyone?

MSUMetal 10-21-2006 09:27 PM

Well I want this guy to be heard so I'll put up their myspace page and their home web page so that people will hopefully give him a listen.

Homepage

and

Myspace

Mothra is definately their best song drumming wise, but their other tracks should be enough to get people interested (since mothra isnt on their myspace page).

I hope a few more people give him a listen now.

davi 11-06-2006 08:24 AM

Re: hell yeah

reply:i am a big fan of chad and i think his stick workm is awesome.
i myself am a drummer and believe me when i say chad's grooves are tough.
how does he acheive such a perfect limb independence?
try listening to pencil fight and dragonfly.

drumminbro23 03-10-2007 09:09 AM

chad is amazing. hopfully atomship will make it big some day.His drumming is great on every song, right now im diggin dragonfly tho. Any one who hasnt heard of atomship should check them out, atleast to here the sweet drummin

xush 04-28-2007 01:33 AM

found this old thread from a search, I wondered if anyone was familiar with him.

Unfortunately Atomship is no more. Hopefully Chad will find another gig that will afford him some exposure, he sure is a chops monster~

All those Atomship fellows were really friendly and good guys, I was sorry to see the band break up. We got the chance to hang out with them at several of our shows, and they were always great company.

tkaihea 04-23-2008 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xush (Post 305678)
found this old thread from a search, I wondered if anyone was familiar with him.

Unfortunately Atomship is no more. Hopefully Chad will find another gig that will afford him some exposure, he sure is a chops monster~

All those Atomship fellows were really friendly and good guys, I was sorry to see the band break up. We got the chance to hang out with them at several of our shows, and they were always great company.

He is back with Slate in AtomshipDown now so that is good to hear. Should be awesome to hear what their new album is going to be like. Heard is was a double disc so hopefully "fingers crossed" their are some cool drum solos in there.

atman 11-15-2008 09:35 AM

Hi, Does anyone know which group is Chad Kent in? THANKS

deebz 11-17-2008 08:02 PM

He's in Atomship Down, formerly known as Atomship. He is extremely fast and talented.

He also blatantly stole Danny Carey's "Eulogy" beat in the song "Friends" by Atomship.

Oh well.

c4ls7 02-24-2009 04:39 AM

Big fan listen to his stuff daily play along daily working really hard on Monthr this man needs to post a reply himself be pretty cool to see if he's still giggin

CaptainSticks 02-27-2009 03:47 AM

I just started to listen to Atomship....this guy is amazing. His work it awesome.

Geoff 05-11-2009 10:35 AM

I completly agree with all of you, Chad Kent is an amazing drummer. I'd love to know what is he doing now, because Atomship doesn't exist anymore, their album The Crash of 47' Year is just impossible to find in stores, and now the band is called Papercut massacre and Chad is not anymore in the band.

do you nows guys, what Chad is doing now?

thanks

Geoff.

PerrinAybara162 10-16-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff (Post 573795)
I completly agree with all of you, Chad Kent is an amazing drummer. I'd love to know what is he doing now, because Atomship doesn't exist anymore, their album The Crash of 47' Year is just impossible to find in stores, and now the band is called Papercut massacre and Chad is not anymore in the band.

do you nows guys, what Chad is doing now?

thanks

Geoff.

Papercut Massacre is actually a completely separate band. When Atomship recorded their album, their vocalist could not take part because his wife was giving birth at the time. To fill in, the label got Joey Culver to step in (all of the vocals that are heard on "The Crash of '47" are actually Culver's, not the official Atomship vocals).

Papercut Massacre is Culver's newest project, and the record is amazing. And as for AtomshipDown, their official website is their myspace, which has been inactive since Dec. 28th of 2008. Kent has not been in anything since, which is a crying shame.

thesam 12-22-2009 05:47 PM

Another side of Chad most have never heard:

http://www.myspace.com/sundayveil

Shows that he is a very versatile drummer and not just a chops guy.

Hypnos 01-05-2010 05:45 PM

Hi everybody who loves Chad Kent,
I discovered Atomship accidentally few months ago. My friend, (also veeeery talented and known in the Europe drummer, But I tell U about him later) has been listening them and fascinating very much. I catched a virus... But the original CD is immpossible to find in any store or site in Europe. Afterall I've found "The crash of '47" on U.S. Ebay site and ordered immidiatelly. Can You believe that even in States only few guys got it, and only one has a brand new product? Why nobody knows such a band??? Chad appears to me as one of most tallented drummers in the world. Those drummers who tried to play simetric hi-hats during playing 5/4 metrum, knows what I mean. Does anybody heard those basses in Mothra live? I wonder if he is really able to obtain such speed without triggers??? Its unbelievable. But even if he uses triggers its not a shame for him. Anyway its a disaster Atomship split off. I will popularise them in Poland where I came from, they all are worth it.
And now few promised words for those who really enjoys genious, but not known music. My friends name is Marcin Gołębiewski alias Zabek, those who ever listen grind core band Yattering knows him very well. So, He and few friend gathered and create new project called AntiMotivational Syndrome, A.M.S. for abbreviation, but dont search for them yet, they are still recording in studio now. The first album should appear in february, march this year and it will be called "Corridor". if You enjoy Atomship its certain You will love AMS. I will be shot down for this message...
Sorry for my terrible english, cheerz!!!!

andSometimesY 01-13-2010 08:13 PM

Chad Kent is amazing! Everyone points to Mothra as his best song but every song on the whole album would be really difficult to learn. There are a couple of absolutely blazing shuffles on there, as well as a couple polyrhythms (the one in "Friends" is the same one Danny Carey used in the Tool song "Eulogy"). His footwork is also very good.

sarah_n 06-08-2010 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerrinAybara162 (Post 623061)
Papercut Massacre is actually a completely separate band. When Atomship recorded their album, their vocalist could not take part because his wife was giving birth at the time. To fill in, the label got Joey Culver to step in (all of the vocals that are heard on "The Crash of '47" are actually Culver's, not the official Atomship vocals).

Papercut Massacre is Culver's newest project, and the record is amazing. And as for AtomshipDown, their official website is their myspace, which has been inactive since Dec. 28th of 2008. Kent has not been in anything since, which is a crying shame.

ya wish he was still w them, i had the pleasure of being his neighbor for a couple of years and got to listen to him play. his talent is unbelievable, i got to sit on his couch and listen to him play. it was right before i moved, like my own concert or something. even though ive moved away from there we are still good friends.

myalteregohatesme 01-31-2011 10:03 PM

Someone finally posted his B-side drum solo on youtube:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/n...ote=1&p=709575

myalteregohatesme 01-31-2011 10:14 PM

Oh and Atomship is back although their guitarist Nathan Slade died in 09 but Chad and Derek are recording a new album under the name Watership Down (their original name). Look up Watership Down on wikipedia.

Here's a new song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz3Zk8AbwQw

Check out other links to the right of this video. Chad in studio!

jwildman 01-31-2011 10:26 PM

I've loved atomship since I heard a cover to Withered. Today I finally downloaded their album and I've loved. Chad is amazing and seems to just be playing random stuff but then you see his beat as it repeats.

Does anyone know when their new album will be out?