DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   New Hobby - 180 Gallon Cichlid Tank (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44655)

mikei 12-01-2008 05:41 AM

New Hobby - 180 Gallon Cichlid Tank

7 Attachment(s)
Here she is in all her glory.

180 gallons of peaceful, agressive behavior. Very relaxing and exciting.

I have about 20 fish in the tank.

A great hobby for all!!!!

Enjoy the pics.

The pics here simply don't do it justice.

Tank is new and was custom made. About 300 lbs of mexican lava rock. Pics are from the random tank dwellers. Mostly red devils and parrots. In a few you can see the pleco and a green terror.

The baby jag, firemouth, oscar and severum are not in the pics.

The huge black belt was in his cave and I couldn't get him out. An amazing looking fish.

Picture with my wonderful 9 year old daughter was to put into prospective the size and beauty of this tank.

Thinking of adding a baby dovii. When it gets large enough, I would buy him his own home.

Anyway, what are you opinions on my cichlid kingdom!!!????

aydee 12-01-2008 05:52 AM

Re: New Hobby - 180 Gallon Cichlid Tank

Hey Mikei, awesome! I see you have some Acaras in there. Good thing they are small or they can stir up some trouble if the tank was any smaller. Check out some more African & lake Malawi Cichlids to add to the tank.. looks like you have lots of room!

It is a great hobby, with medical proof that it lowers blood pressure and improves overall sense of well being.

Enjoy.

P.S - that a pretty big Cichlid outside the tank.. or is that a mermaid?

mikei 12-01-2008 05:57 AM

Had most of these fish in a 90 for years. Tanks started bowing so we made a significant upgrade.

We have added an oscar (4 inches now, but will grow to 10 plus), 2 green terrors (2 inches now, will grow to 8), a firemouth (2 inches now, will grow to 7 or so), and 2 jaguars (1 inch now, will grow to over 12). Oh, and one severum. Will grow to 8 inches.

So the next couple of months will be fun. They are all healthy and just interact with each other. quite fascinating to watch.

Mike

crdirtRider856 12-01-2008 07:20 AM

Thats definitely eye candy for sure.. I love the wooden base table..Adds a head-full of color+life to a space that might have had none previously... Really nice. But I happen to love marine life more than most others; quiet, nice to look at, and no "poop-scooping" or "litter tray- sifting to deal with.

I ve always loved those little tropical frogs, the ones that are basically see-through. You can just watch 'em swim around while seeing how the muscles interact with the tendons and skin. Its like a biology class without the annoying textbook lessons...SO cool!, its a shame they dont live to long though. : (

Good setup there Mikeii...May you and your children enjoy it for years..

metal overlord 12-01-2008 10:33 PM

When I quickly gazed over the title of this all I really saw was "tank" and I'm thinking...

Holy sh** he has a tank?!?!?!

But now, I know what you ment.

Though, It would be sweet to ride your way out of traffic (or run it all over) in a Panzer or Tiger Tank.

GRUNTERSDAD 12-03-2008 12:33 AM

I have a new topwater lure I need to test. Do I need a saltwater license?
That looks great Mike. They will relax you for sure. My son has a small
tank and it is mesmerizing.

LeeLovesSabian 12-04-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metal overlord (Post 509028)
When I quickly gazed over the title of this all I really saw was "tank" and I'm thinking...

Holy sh** he has a tank?!?!?!

But now, I know what you ment.

Though, It would be sweet to ride your way out of traffic (or run it all over) in a Panzer or Tiger Tank.

I thought the same thing.

But that tank looks expensive!!!!!!!!!!!

oops 12-04-2008 11:54 PM

I wouldn't be putting an Oscar in there, if I ever won an Oscar, I'd keep it in pristine condition for sentimental value.

(and surely jaguars don't like water? I spose if you can get them in there it'll be fine, but don't expect them to last long and have fun trying to pull them back out eh?)

drumhead61 12-05-2008 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikei (Post 508735)
Here she is in all her glory.

180 gallons of peaceful, agressive behavior. Very relaxing and exciting.

I have about 20 fish in the tank.

A great hobby for all!!!!

Enjoy the pics.

The pics here simply don't do it justice.

Tank is new and was custom made. About 300 lbs of mexican lava rock. Pics are from the random tank dwellers. Mostly red devils and parrots. In a few you can see the pleco and a green terror.

The baby jag, firemouth, oscar and severum are not in the pics.

The huge black belt was in his cave and I couldn't get him out. An amazing looking fish.

Picture with my wonderful 9 year old daughter was to put into prospective the size and beauty of this tank.

Thinking of adding a baby dovii. When it gets large enough, I would buy him his own home.

Anyway, what are you opinions on my cichlid kingdom!!!????

WHen you said, "here she is in all her glory," I thought you were referring to your daughter, but you made mention of her as well...cute kid, next she turns gorgeous like my 13 yr old daughter (I have the shotgun sitting by the front door!) so now you are next in line for that! The tank is nice...I grew up with a ton of fish tanks, my parents had like 28 tanks at one time and 2 were 100 gals. Now they have a 50 with some fish...as for me I can do without...like to look and not own! ENJOY

darkstar442 12-05-2008 01:24 AM

thats tight! to bad fish nver have liked me i dont no why haha. but really i thought you bought a real tank too and i was like where the f**k do you buy one of those!