DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Take it out on your drums? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44131)

drummer girl09 11-15-2008 05:57 PM

Take it out on your drums?

I'm not sure if it's just me, but has any one been really angry and just said...I need to play my drums. I know I have. I'm not talking about throw your toms out of the window and destroy your set. I mean just to play as hard as you can to the most metal song that you have. But the last two years has been extremely stressful for me, so my drums are there for me. But it was just a random thought....it's been a random morning for me.

That Guy 11-15-2008 06:02 PM

Re: Take it out on your drums?

Yes, quite a bit actually.

stasz 11-15-2008 06:07 PM

Doesn't happen too often for me but yeah. Something about busting out some crazy licks just really does it when you're ready to blow up.

caddywumpus 11-15-2008 06:28 PM

When I was 17 and just got my first drum set, it was totally there for me. I had all of the teen angst combined with some pretty heavy familial issues going on. My drums were my outlet, both creatively and emotionally. Now, 12 years later, it's paying the bills. Looking back, I see it as a way that I took my positive and negative energy, focused them into something worthwhile, gave it time, and good came out of it that changed the course of my life in a way I wouldn't have expected.

Yeah, it's a random morning for me, too...

lewisn27 11-15-2008 06:55 PM

Happens to me too. Sometimes i just hit them as hard as i possibly can.

m1ck 11-15-2008 07:21 PM

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/dru...drumclinic.jpg

.................................................. ..............................

eddiehimself 11-15-2008 07:23 PM

I agree. I think there's nothing to beat out those lovelorn hormonal teenage emotions like playing a bit of metal on the drums. I was playing hand of blood by bullet for my valentine (seeing them 2morrow), i ended up overdoing it a bit on a blister i'd cut out and i actually ended up with a real "hand of blood" :p

Ironcobra 11-15-2008 08:15 PM

That's my routine anger management technique. What I don't like is getting angry at my playing while already on the drums, that's when I start hitting too hard and actually taking it out on the drums.

drummer girl09 11-15-2008 09:34 PM

Lol love the comments. I thought me taking it out on my drums from my emotions was just a girl thing or something. But I feel better about it now :P. Thanks guys. The pic with Thomas Lang and his drum set beatin up...it makes me sad =[. It's a beautiful set, but I guess you gatta take it out on something =] Have an awesome day ya'll.

Ian Williams 11-15-2008 09:46 PM

My best therapy to channel anger, fury, stress, bad temper. I jam until relief, usually play Children of the Grave - Black Sabbath.

Nodiggie 11-15-2008 09:55 PM

Yes....that is how it all started in the first place. But now, I'm at peace.

drummer girl09 11-15-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodiggie (Post 501966)
Yes....that is how it all started in the first place. But now, I'm at peace.

That's kinda neat Nodiggie.

Trench.one 11-15-2008 10:58 PM

definately happens, I remember a gig at King Tuts in Glasgow years ago, we as a band had been totally messed about by the promoters, we were really pissed off, started arguing about stuff as we were on our way to stage, in the end every member of the band just channeled all the aggression and anger into the set and it was the best set we had ever played.
we came off stage happy ,pumped and totally together.

Channel the rage!!

speedwolf 11-17-2008 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1ck (Post 501905)

.................................................. ..............................

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

LeeLovesSabian 11-17-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwilliams (Post 501963)
My best therapy to channel anger, fury, stress, bad temper. I jam until relief, usually play Children of the Grave - Black Sabbath.

I agree.
That song is really good for getting anger out.
I think its because he uses the crash heavily in the main beat.

king fail 11-17-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1ck (Post 501905)

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

D:

crdirtRider856 11-18-2008 09:29 AM

Love your drums, but dont make love to 'em...in turn that means dont beat on them. I love that Thomas Lang picture btw...

Ian Williams 11-19-2008 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
LeeLovesSabian,

Thanks man, your comments are very accurate. Also I like the heavy rhythm base (bass & drums) on Children of the Grave.

Cheers,

LeeLovesSabian 11-20-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwilliams (Post 503279)
LeeLovesSabian,

Thanks man, your comments are very accurate. Also I like the heavy rhythm base (bass & drums) on Children of the Grave.

Cheers,

Yes, Bill Ward is a very innovative drummer.
Odd bass drum tuning though.

darkstar442 11-20-2008 11:17 PM

almost every day unfortunatly

metal overlord 12-07-2008 04:19 AM

When im pissed, I drum.
I play the heavist, fastest music when I'm mad.

like when I got dumped by my girlfriend, I went home and playing Slaves Shall Serve, and It could be heard from a differant zip code.

drummer girl09 12-07-2008 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metal overlord (Post 511322)
When im pissed, I drum.
I play the heavist, fastest music when I'm mad.

like when I got dumped by my girlfriend, I went home and playing Slaves Shall Serve, and It could be heard from a differant zip code.

I did exactly that A LOT last year...the heaviest metal song.

When my parents divorced I was playing my drums every day basically as hard as I could to the acceptation of not breaking toms or anything (like I could anyway).

dimascurtu 12-10-2008 10:20 PM

I cant really play my drums when i'm mad and thats usually because I have something on my mind, I find I play the best when I am in a good mood.

Guz2 12-10-2008 10:52 PM

I just hit my drum throne with a hammer. I find it helps.