DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Amplifier issue please help (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43265)

Tylerdrums109 10-20-2008 05:53 AM

Amplifier issue please help

So whenever i bring my amplifier up past half volume and palm mute a note or chord...the speaker material outside of the cone begins to flap rapidly and i get a terrible farting sound....i do not believe the speaker is the issue as i have hooked up another speaker and have had the same issue...if anyone can tell me what the problem is or suggest me a solution i would be very greatful...thank you for the help

That Guy 10-20-2008 05:56 AM

Re: Amplifier issue please help

Don't turn it up past 1/2 way, or buy a new amp. Really, how many other options are there? Did you tweak the knobs on your guitar?

bojangleman 10-20-2008 05:57 AM

replace the speaker?

what amp is it?

Alex

Tylerdrums109 10-20-2008 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That Guy (Post 491545)
Don't turn it up past 1/2 way, or buy a new amp. Really, how many other options are there? Did you tweak the knobs on your guitar?

Um yes lol...ive messed with the settings on my amp for hours and nothing works...and i really should be able to push my amp past half volume without this issue...its actually not even half volume...i get this issue when the amps on four...thats a major problem...buying an amp is not an option...and bojangleman i don't believe the speaker is the issue...im really lost on this one...maybe its some sort of weird feedback?...and also the amplifier is a flextone 2 one speaker combo....and for those of you who are thinking it....no this amplifier is actually very nice...i believe line six hit the nail on the head with these amps

bojangleman 10-20-2008 06:12 AM

are you using pedals?

can you see any cracks in the speaker?

are you playing bass through it?

have you ever played bass through it?

Alex

Tylerdrums109 10-20-2008 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bojangleman (Post 491553)
are you using pedals?

can you see any cracks in the speaker?

are you playing bass through it?

have you ever played bass through it?

Alex

No i am not using any pedals...the speaker is in perfect condition...i do not play bass through it...and i never have

bojangleman 10-20-2008 06:20 AM

then im going to have to go with the conclusion that its a Line 6...

haha =P

i dont really know...take it in to your local guitar shop or something.

Alex

Tylerdrums109 10-20-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bojangleman (Post 491555)
then im going to have to go with the conclusion that its a Line 6...

haha =P

i dont really know...take it in to your local guitar shop or something.

Alex

-__- why does everybody knock these amps...they aren't spiders...the flextones are really nice...i recorded the guitar on my bands EP with it

That Guy 10-20-2008 06:25 AM

Ok, i can't imagine any other reasons for your problem. Did you buy it new? If its under warranty... go get another one. If you bought it used... I don't know what to tell you, but that would suggest why it was sold to begin with.

I'm a stickler for buying "new" equipment simply because the warranty factor.

Billy Brown 10-20-2008 06:27 AM

If it's not the speaker, then it may be something fried causing a power loss, so the amp can't properly drive the speaker.

bojangleman 10-20-2008 06:29 AM

i know..i was just messin with ya...

is there a cable messed up?

is the power chord grounded?

Alex

harryconway 10-20-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tylerdrums109 (Post 491544)
.....palm mute a note or chord...

You can play the amp at full volume when NOT palm muting a note or cord? If that's the case, sounds like a feedback problem. Get a much longer guitar cord, stand as far away from the amp as possible, and see what it does.

westicle 10-20-2008 11:23 AM

That's not feed back. When you're palm muting there's more bass coming through and maybe it just can't handle it. It might just be some of the material on the cab that's flapping.

What do you tune to, is it low?

Tylerdrums109 10-20-2008 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westicle (Post 491601)
That's not feed back. When you're palm muting there's more bass coming through and maybe it just can't handle it. It might just be some of the material on the cab that's flapping.

What do you tune to, is it low?

I play in standard E and in drop D....never lower...Let me further explain...it is not the guitar for sure...because i play the guitar through multiple amplifiers without experiencing the same issue....it's not the cable as i have had the problem with multiple cables....no matter how far i stand from the amp i get the same issue....so maybe its not feedback...i have played the amplifier in multiple rooms so it is not an outside problem...i have played this amp on a stand and on the ground and i have had the same issue....the sound is only made when i palm mute a lower note or chord and the guitar amp is past volume 4....it is not anything in the amplifier rattling....i have removed the grill and observed the speaker when making this sound....the speaker material flaps rapidly out of control and i get a low booming fart sound....i am not sure if it is an internal problem as i have no experience with electronics although my father does but he has not even mentioned that it could be a component or bad ground...i have only learned of this problem recently since i never before have had the need to play past volume 4 with this amp....i bought it used and the amplifier and speaker are in perfect condition minus a few scuffs on the cab.....maybe that will help

westicle 10-21-2008 12:08 AM

Weird

Well I've had that issue or similar with other cheaper combo type amps but I wouldn't have expected it with that.

Are there Line 6 forums you could ask on to see if anyone else has had the same problem with the same amp?

Tylerdrums109 10-21-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westicle (Post 491837)
Weird

Well I've had that issue or similar with other cheaper combo type amps but I wouldn't have expected it with that.

Are there Line 6 forums you could ask on to see if anyone else has had the same problem with the same amp?

Im not sure...i have searched...and come up with nothing...and if i do post on Line Six's website i get no help at all...someone has suggested me a new speaker with a higher wattage rating...i was thinking a celestion 12gt75...maybe this would help

bojangleman 10-21-2008 12:28 AM

the speaker should be able what the amp puts out...they arent going to put a smaller wattage speaker in there...

what is your bass setting on?

that is what it sounds like...since it only does it when there are lower/deeper/bassier notes going through..

have you turned the bass all the way down and tried it?

Alex

caddywumpus 10-21-2008 12:41 AM

My friend has this same problem with his Flextone 2.0. Line 6 told him that it was a matter of the computer inside the amp "clipping" the signal, which is what gives you those really quick vibrations that sound like a fart. It's digital clipping (which is a rapid-fire clicking noise) manifesting itself through the speaker. Pretty dangerous to the speaker.

How he solved it? He stopped using his guitar with active pickups through the amp. Problem solved. There was simply too much signal going from the guitar through the input into the computer component. Do you have a guitar with active pickups (does your guitar have a battery in it)? If so, use a guitar with passive electronics or get something to "pad" the signal from your guitar to your amp so it doesn't send a signal that's louder than line level.

If that's not the issue, then I haven't the faintest clue. I'm a Line 6 fan as well. Not the Spiders, though. My Vetta is awesome! Never had a problem with it and it cranks so cleanly!

Tylerdrums109 10-21-2008 01:04 AM

I am not using a guitar with active pickups =/ i wish it was that easy...and i have used all sorts of guitars through the amp...even low output single coils...all the same problem...can anyone tell me if a new high wattage speaker would get rid of the problem?....my pickups are moderately high output but they are not active

Tylerdrums109 10-21-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bojangleman (Post 491848)
the speaker should be able what the amp puts out...they arent going to put a smaller wattage speaker in there...

what is your bass setting on?

that is what it sounds like...since it only does it when there are lower/deeper/bassier notes going through..

have you turned the bass all the way down and tried it?

Alex

My bass is only ever at like 6...and not i have not turned the bass completely down and tried playing...i should probably try...but i mean i should be able to play with the bass on 6

Tylerdrums109 10-21-2008 01:11 AM

Oh and a thank you for all of you for actually being helpful....the guys on ultimate-guitar are complete idiots....i don't know why i go there anymore since i now learn all songs by ear and have been for years...last time i log onto that site

caddywumpus 10-21-2008 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tylerdrums109 (Post 491870)
Oh and a thank you for all of you for actually being helpful....the guys on ultimate-guitar are complete idiots....

Real musicians...real questions....real answers....Drummerworld! Dun! Dun! Daaaaah!

westicle 10-21-2008 10:48 AM

Someone said digital clipping might be the prob and they could be right. Unless you want it and can use it digital clipping is a horrendous sound when you don't want it.

Is there an input gain you could turn down? Are you running pedals in front of the amp that might be cranking the input?

bojangleman 10-22-2008 12:53 AM

yeah...i hate UG...they are all jerks that make you feel stupid...

you can have a perfectly logical question, and since they know it and you dont....you automatically are stupid..

Alex

Vipercussionist 10-22-2008 01:02 AM

Just a guestimate, but I think the speaker's spider is ripped or just stretched.

The spider is the part of the speaker that acts like a shock absorber, if it's weak, the speaker cone won't stay tight with a lot of low end and will likely do what you're describing.

http://www.discjockey101.com/driver_diagram.jpg

Tylerdrums109 10-22-2008 02:44 AM

There is no beef up of the input signal by any means...my pickups are passive...and i use no pedals...it could not be clipping due to an input that is too strong...anyway it could be clipping because of something else?

Tylerdrums109 10-22-2008 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipercussionist (Post 492293)
Just a guestimate, but I think the speaker's spider is ripped or just stretched.

The spider is the part of the speaker that acts like a shock absorber, if it's weak, the speaker cone won't stay tight with a lot of low end and will likely do what you're describing.

http://www.discjockey101.com/driver_diagram.jpg

I hooked up another speaker my dad had in a speaker cab he built to this amp...not sure what the wattage was but i had the same issue...unless this speaker had the same problem then i dont think this is it....but at this point i am sure of nothing

bojangleman 10-22-2008 05:24 AM

that makes me think it is the amp if it does it with other speakers too...

clipping sounds right..

Alex