DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dave Weckl (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414)

radeq 07-12-2005 08:48 PM

Dave Weckl
 
ok this one is my second favourite drummer, you like him?

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Dave_Weckl.html

DR.WHOO 07-12-2005 08:56 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by radeq
ok this one is my second favourite drummer, you like him?

Like him but not too much.Very hard technique but
dunno why ,,think i like other kind of feelings

T

Dr Drums 07-12-2005 09:10 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
he's like the ideal drummer and has it all by the book, and that's exectly his problem.
He doesnt have something really speacial, he's groove and feel are very mainstream, he's so unoriginal. Yet, no doubt he's a hell of a drummer and between the 10th best drummers 2day. At least.

DR.WHOO 07-12-2005 09:12 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Drums
he's like the ideal drummer and has it all by the book, and that's exectly his problem.
He doesnt have something really speacial, he's groove and feel are very mainstream, he's so unoriginal. Yet, no doubt he's a hell of a drummer and between the 10th best drummers 2day. At least.

u daid it man

not excly as i wanted to, but at least very near

T

Anchein Vouivra 07-12-2005 09:23 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
I'm not really in, and don't dig this "Weckle-Colaiuta-Gadd-Chambers-Steve Smith..." drumming pantheon. They're are too glorified and used by their endorsements as THE DRUM REFERENCE. Too technical and they are all playing fusion which make feel each one sound more and more similar. But it's like always very personal, it's just music that doesn't move me (maybe at the exception of Gadd).

radeq 07-12-2005 09:46 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
and which drummers do you like guys?

Anchein Vouivra 07-12-2005 10:14 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Simply not the best drummers from certain point of views. If you want to know go and check the thread "Who is you favourite drummer".

Raymond Bloom 07-12-2005 10:57 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
I bet that Dave is almost a dream to work with (refering to non drummers - musicians) He is no doubt an awsome drummer with a steady time, great latin kind of feal, superb chops and nowadays just frigging sick technique!

I am really happy that Dave will be in Latvia as a special guest in our jazz festival, I will add some coments about that after seeing him, it deffinetely will give me ''a hit'' to practice more and more.

Elemental Nausea 07-12-2005 11:22 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
I very much agree with jammaster, weckel is very steady, universally talented, has nice ideas and has a good taste for latin stuff....I also learned a lot from his dvd , how to hold the sticks "correctly" in the first place

Raymond Bloom 07-12-2005 11:26 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Yeah, his DVD contains some really usefull info, I have learned a lot from that, I allways try to recomend it!

Stu_Strib 07-12-2005 11:29 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchein Vouivra
I'm not really in, and don't dig this "Weckle-Colaiuta-Gadd-Chambers-Steve Smith..." drumming pantheon. They're are too glorified and used by their endorsements as THE DRUM REFERENCE. Too technical and they are all playing fusion which make feel each one sound more and more similar. But it's like always very personal, it's just music that doesn't move me (maybe at the exception of Gadd).

The pantheon you don't get consists of some of the best drummers alive, not based only on their very good technical playing, but for their high demand to play for anyone.

No punk rocker drummer can play these guys' parts, but all these guys can play punk rock. Its really that easy.

If you have the highest technical skills possible, and can play anything, that makes you good.

Just look at Vinny Colaiuta and Steve Gadd's discography for starters.

Just watch Steve Smith, for crying out loud. If you can't see why he is on top of the drumming world, then I can't really say anything more about it.

Weckl is a matter of taste, but there is no denying his ability. And his drum sound is one of the best recorded.

Anchein Vouivra 07-13-2005 01:31 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
No punk rocker drummer can play these guys' parts, but all these guys can play punk rock. Its really that easy.

I believe Dave Dicenso could be one of the only punk rock drummer..............just teasing, but he's emerged from the punk scene and he's sooooooooo good and versatile in many styles, but I won't cut the Dave Weckl thread on him.

Stu_Strib 07-13-2005 02:28 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchein Vouivra
I believe Dave Dicenso could be one of the only punk rock drummer..............just teasing, but he's emerged from the punk scene and he's sooooooooo good and versatile in many styles, but I won't cut the Dave Weckl thread on him.

I've heard his name. I'll have to check him out.

Pedro 07-13-2005 03:19 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchein Vouivra
I'm not really in, and don't dig this "Weckle-Colaiuta-Gadd-Chambers-Steve Smith..." drumming pantheon. They're are too glorified and used by their endorsements as THE DRUM REFERENCE. Too technical and they are all playing fusion which make feel each one sound more and more similar. But it's like always very personal, it's just music that doesn't move me (maybe at the exception of Gadd).

I must agree with you speakig of Steve Smith. He's a hell of a drummer but his band Vital Information really sucks. Totally non-musical. But Colaiuta is a differet thing. for e.g. he recorded Megadeth new album and he played with Sting: and there he proves hes incredible talent and good choice of music.
Weckl and Smith are a bit "too-fusion" and tyhe music really doesn't make it for me eather.
But Colaiuta and certainly Steve Gadd played with a lot of good and different music, that isn't fusion.
One of the few crazy drummers who makes good music is also Trilok Gurtu.

But waching many others is like going to the circus: just waching the drummer doeing crazy stunts and incredible things, without really liking the music :-))

jamsjr44 07-13-2005 04:15 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Vital Information does not suck, I guess you just don't like the music they play. But Barret Browne on bass is a highly regarded bassist. he used to record with Billy Cobham and alot of other great drummers.

Pedro 07-13-2005 05:13 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamsjr44
Vital Information does not suck, I guess you just don't like the music they play. But Barret Browne on bass is a highly regarded bassist. he used to record with Billy Cobham and alot of other great drummers.

I can understand that Browne and Frank Gambale are highly regarded musicians. But I believe there is one reason for it: they all have a unbelieveble technique. But that doesn't say a thing about the musicality. For me Frank Gambale is a "note-screwer": he can play a hundred notes a minute (thats why he's so appreciated), but without any musicality or good harmony.
I'm a trained listener, and I can appreciate music that I don't like, if I notice good harmonical or original things in the music. But this I miss in Vital Information.

And all those big musicians play together, it's a bit of an orgy. But that doesn't mean they are all able to make good music.

Ok, I don't know about Baron Browne, but what I heard of Frank Gambale, I only can say that he's one of te less musical professional guitar players I've ever heard.

Sorry for the hard comment, but I was really really dissepointed. I bet this guys also have good music, or maybe I heard the wrong stuff. It's all possible.

LiquidSoul546 07-16-2005 05:58 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Drums
he's like the ideal drummer and has it all by the book, and that's exectly his problem.
He doesnt have something really speacial, he's groove and feel are very mainstream, he's so unoriginal. Yet, no doubt he's a hell of a drummer and between the 10th best drummers 2day. At least.

He's mainstream?!?! you have got to be kidding me. showme another drummer anything close to dave. and if you haven't checked out his band's cd (live and very plugged in) and then tell me that's "mainstream" i don't hear any other drummers with dave's style, or feel. he plays such odd timings, and has such a sweet style playin his bongo's and djemba dealy. i dunno, but this quote is way off dave, you must be talking about a different drummer.

finnhiggins 07-19-2005 01:05 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by radeq
ok this one is my second favourite drummer, you like him?

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Dave_Weckl.html

On the one hand, I have the most immense respect for Weckl's hard work and dedication to the instrument. He's done more with it than any of us will in our lives, and he's got stylistic versitility to kill for.

On the other hand, I saw him play in London with his band and I've never been so bored at a live gig in my life. Easily the worst "drum" gig I've ever seen. It's sort of like watching a well-programmed sequencer do its thing. Impressive for a while, but after a while it just becomes a constant barrage totally lacking in tension and release. And since he now plays pretty much exclusively fusion I have to sit there listening to music that sounds like it belongs in a lift or a porn movie in order to watch him do his thing.

Stunning, but simultaneously underwhelming. How do you communicate that? I find it's kind of like the opposite of inspiration. Watching Dave Weckl strips me of my motivation to practice, very rapidly. Which is odd, considering almost every other drummer I see inspires me in some way or another.

Drummer_Boy 07-22-2005 09:47 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
I love Dave Weckl. He is one hell of a drummer. He's great technically. Altho, I find that he should probably do some other style..I personally don't like Fusion, and for all you know you could be hearing Dave Weckl in the elevator. He should do something to show off his talent..but if Fusion is his gig, so be it. He's still great. Anyways, he is definately one of the greatest drummers ever, and he's amazing. >_<

Dr Drums 07-22-2005 12:54 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidSoul546
He's mainstream?!?! you have got to be kidding me. showme another drummer anything close to dave. and if you haven't checked out his band's cd (live and very plugged in) and then tell me that's "mainstream" i don't hear any other drummers with dave's style, or feel. he plays such odd timings, and has such a sweet style playin his bongo's and djemba dealy. i dunno, but this quote is way off dave, you must be talking about a different drummer.

Come on i'm not talking about his band's style... I'm talking about his sound & solos style.
He has like the "perfect" sound and everything sounds just the way it should.. Nothing special..And his solos are to very predictible. Man it's just a fact no doubt about.

Stu_Strib 07-22-2005 02:08 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamsjr44
Vital Information does not suck, I guess you just don't like the music they play. But Barret Browne on bass is a highly regarded bassist. he used to record with Billy Cobham and alot of other great drummers.

Barret Brown and Frank Gimbale are too of the best at their trade. Add Steve Smith and you've got a hell of a band. (I don't know who plays keys, but he looks familiar).

So by 'sucks' I think he means "I don't like".

Stu

Stu_Strib 07-22-2005 02:10 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Drums
Come on i'm not talking about his band's style... I'm talking about his sound & solos style.
He has like the "perfect" sound and everything sounds just the way it should.. Nothing special..And his solos are to very predictible. Man it's just a fact no doubt about.

So are you saying to be a special drummer you should have imperfect sound and play unpredictably?

If Weckl is so predictable, then why can't most of us play like him? (ok, so MD can, but he's an exception, hehe)

mikkeydee 07-23-2005 02:57 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Well, I think dave weckl has the most musical phrasing on the planet.

I believe all of u see the weckl-gadd-colaiuta trading 4 videos.

it is obvious that steve gadd is the most "uniformed marching" style, most "predictable". U can easily memorize and hum out what gadd plays.

Vinnie colaiuta in between, more fluid than gadd, but still remains a bit of a "roll down the toms and a crash" feel when he solos.

But with dave weckl, it's all groupings of notes, displacements, when u hear at the first time u can even think of it kinda like a "free solo", but it just stays in the beat.

Well, Dave is not only about this video, through all things i ve witnessed him do, his phrasing "moving a tune without disturbing the melody" is the most advanced!

LiquidSoul546 07-23-2005 04:21 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
finhiggins
On the other hand, I saw him play in London with his band and I've never been so bored at a live gig in my life. Easily the worst "drum" gig I've ever seen. It's sort of like watching a well-programmed sequencer do its thing. Impressive for a while, but after a while it just becomes a constant barrage totally lacking in tension and release. And since he now plays pretty much exclusively fusion I have to sit there listening to music that sounds like it belongs in a lift or a porn movie in order to watch him do his thing.

Stunning, but simultaneously underwhelming. How do you communicate that? I find it's kind of like the opposite of inspiration. Watching Dave Weckl strips me of my motivation to practice, very rapidly. Which is odd, considering almost every other drummer I see inspires me in some way or another.[/quote]
Well i can understand being bored with him. I don't though, but i can see where you're comin from. But I just can't see him being very predictable. His band is like a modern orchestra, i love it. The music is so well thought and well laid out. I love sittin back and watchin his performance at the drummers collective. But we both have our opinions.
peace

Henry II 07-23-2005 01:00 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikkeydee
Well, I think dave weckl has the most musical phrasing on the planet. . . .

I couldn't disagree more! He plays too many notes, and not enough music. He repeats the same phrasings over and over, and leaves little breathing room for contrast. Weckl is a great drum technician, but he may be the least musical drummer I've ever heard. Either that, or his music is so far over my head, I just can't appreciate it. NAAAAH!!!

Henry II 07-23-2005 01:02 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidSoul546
finhiggins . . . Stunning, but simultaneously underwhelming. How do you communicate that? I find it's kind of like the opposite of inspiration. Watching Dave Weckl strips me of my motivation to practice, very rapidly. . . .

LMAO. I knew there was something strange about Weckl, and I couldn't put my finger on it.

Scottylawton 07-28-2005 12:15 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Come on people...as if Dave Weckle is predictable and/or boring for one who are you comparing him with? Weckle is so damn tight in everything he plays personally i think Coluita, chambers and Donati are better but he is way better than some other drummers that are on Drummerworld, there are some really dodgy drummers that are well known.

finnhiggins 07-29-2005 07:36 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottylawton
Come on people...as if Dave Weckle is predictable and/or boring for one who are you comparing him with? Weckle is so damn tight in everything he plays personally i think Coluita, chambers and Donati are better but he is way better than some other drummers that are on Drummerworld, there are some really dodgy drummers that are well known.

I found him predictable and boring not in comparison to other drummers (that's just a pissing contest that nobody is ever going to win, since it's so subjective) but in comparison with himself. Huh? Yeah, I know it sounds silly. But my complaint with seeing him and his band was really that the impression I took away was of calm, collected, constant and largely uninteresting chops. There was no "high point", no real impression that he was making any conscious decisions to structure what he has under his control. Watching Weckl is just that - a constant stream of Weckl.

For a great demo of what I'm talking about here, check out Vinnie on "Ten Summoner's Tales" by Sting. He keeps his blazing chops and fills up his sleeves most of the time, just plays interesting grooving stuff everywhere. Then, when he actually uses the blazing stuff he has available it has about ninety times more impact than if he just kept doing it constantly. Weckl bores me because he never paces himself well. There's nothing wrong with his tone, his groove, timing or technique. I just find him a bit on the tedious side as a musician, which is probably why his music has few fans beyond the drum community.

Ryan_Cox 07-29-2005 11:17 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Appreciating all of the sentiments so far, I've got to say that Weckl is more or less everything I want to be as a drummer, a professional musician and as a musical mind in general. I've been listening to him for almost 15 years now, and even in spite of all of the excellent drummers and drumming that I've heard, his is still my favorite by leaps and bounds.

I saw him play live in 1998 and was absolutely blown away. He seemed to have an endless bag of tricks, was playing some of the most demanding, clever drum parts I've ever heard and never hit a rim once. In fact, it's almost hard to appreciate other drummers because Weckl's playing, in my mind, sets the bar so high.

My $.02

Dr Drums 07-29-2005 12:44 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry II
I couldn't disagree more! He plays too many notes, and not enough music. He repeats the same phrasings over and over, and leaves little breathing room for contrast. Weckl is a great drum technician, but he may be the least musical drummer I've ever heard. Either that, or his music is so far over my head, I just can't appreciate it. NAAAAH!!!

YA MAN! I couldn't agree more, and for those who didn't get my point, it's just it.

radeq 07-29-2005 12:52 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Dave Weckl had concert just a few days ago, in our capital city - Bratislava, I've been there, and I couldn't believe what I saw! first, he had a workshop - talking about his aproach...he showed one exercise, that sounded like a great drummer solo - and that was only a freakin' exercise!!!! after that, he played with his band, songs from the very live and plugged in album, and from their last album, it was great, amazing awesome, perfect, I love their music, and they now each other so well, it's just a great great band :) it was the best concert I've ever seen !@!
God bless

r

darkcherryfade 07-29-2005 08:17 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by finnhiggins
I found him predictable and boring not in comparison to other drummers (that's just a pissing contest that nobody is ever going to win, since it's so subjective) but in comparison with himself. Huh? Yeah, I know it sounds silly. But my complaint with seeing him and his band was really that the impression I took away was of calm, collected, constant and largely uninteresting chops. There was no "high point", no real impression that he was making any conscious decisions to structure what he has under his control. Watching Weckl is just that - a constant stream of Weckl.

For a great demo of what I'm talking about here, check out Vinnie on "Ten Summoner's Tales" by Sting. He keeps his blazing chops and fills up his sleeves most of the time, just plays interesting grooving stuff everywhere. Then, when he actually uses the blazing stuff he has available it has about ninety times more impact than if he just kept doing it constantly. Weckl bores me because he never paces himself well. There's nothing wrong with his tone, his groove, timing or technique. I just find him a bit on the tedious side as a musician, which is probably why his music has few fans beyond the drum community.

'


I'm with this guy.

theduke86 07-29-2005 09:41 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Yeah, you guys are right. Dave Weckl isn't a good drummer.
He's an unbelievable drummer.
He plays absolutely perfectly. He's got the ideal drum sound (look at all the university kids coming out these days like Weckl), unparalled technique and clarity around the drums. Does he EVER make a mistake? I don't think so. He's managed to develop his own sound and play some very complicated stuff. The time in his solos is perfect. What he plays when he solos always fits the music. It may be complicated but so many people bash drummers who have chops, I don't understand why. The central point is that any one of us would kill to play like Weckl.
That being said, old Weckl leaves me feeling a little cold- maybe too perfect. However, Weckl live is a great experience- he's a drummer that I feel can't get emotive in the studios.

formerdrummer 07-29-2005 10:35 PM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
I too have followed Mr. Weckl's career for a number of years and have had the chance to see him live on 2 occasions several years apart. Not only is he an astounding drummer and musician, but his playing clearly improves and evolves. For my money (which admittedly is limited), he is the best drummer alive.

toteman2 07-30-2005 01:44 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry II
I couldn't disagree more! He plays too many notes, and not enough music. He repeats the same phrasings over and over, and leaves little breathing room for contrast. Weckl is a great drum technician, but he may be the least musical drummer I've ever heard. Either that, or his music is so far over my head, I just can't appreciate it. NAAAAH!!!


O.K. you are talking about Dave Weckl, right? Thats D-A-V-E W-E-C-K-L...This statement made me question everthing I have ever learned about music, drums, and musicianship...I don't think I've ever heard anything like this...Wait are you sure your talking about Dave Weckl? The least musical drummer you've ever heard? WTF? I just can't understand this...I've always thought of him as one of the most musical drummers in the world...Little breathing room for contrast? O.K. I'm convinced you have weckl and sombodyelse mixed up...

Dr Drums 07-30-2005 02:06 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by toteman2
O.K. you are talking about Dave Weckl, right? Thats D-A-V-E W-E-C-K-L...This statement made me question everthing I have ever learned about music, drums, and musicianship...I don't think I've ever heard anything like this...Wait are you sure your talking about Dave Weckl? The least musical drummer you've ever heard? WTF? I just can't understand this...I've always thought of him as one of the most musical drummers in the world...Little breathing room for contrast? O.K. I'm convinced you have weckl and sombodyelse mixed up...

Don't just talk. Ur whole messege was "u sure is weckl? DAVE weckl? bla bla"
Show some thoughtful points and we might be convinced otherwise

toteman2 07-30-2005 02:22 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Drums
Don't just talk. Ur whole messege was "u sure is weckl? DAVE weckl? bla bla"
Show some thoughtful points and we might be convinced otherwise


well, i really do think he has him mixed up with someone else...Thoughtfull points? I would say go out and buy "Synergy" or "Rhythm of the Soul" and listen to the entire CD's...If your not convinced they are some of the most muscial, expressive, technical, and quality sounding drumming CD's you've ever heard then i don't know whatesle to say...I mean if you can tell Dennis Chamber is without a doubt a fatastic drummer and musician, you should be able to see that in Weckl..I know i can...

Stu_Strib 07-30-2005 05:35 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Also, his drum sound is so overlooked. If he couldn't play anything but Boom tap boom tap...and then hit each tom in quarter-note-intervals, I'd buy the albums.

Quite simply put, the best sounding drums ever recorded (thank you Yamaha!)

Stu

darkcherryfade 07-30-2005 06:14 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Why hate on Weckl? He has a great mix of technique and chops (neither of which are very far out of range for most good drummers)as well as musicality. I think the only complaint I could make is that sometimes he gets a little boring, but he is the perfect example of a COMPLETE drummer.

finnhiggins 07-30-2005 07:19 AM

Re: Dave Weckl
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by toteman2
well, i really do think he has him mixed up with someone else...Thoughtfull points? I would say go out and buy "Synergy" or "Rhythm of the Soul" and listen to the entire CD's...If your not convinced they are some of the most muscial, expressive, technical, and quality sounding drumming CD's you've ever heard then i don't know whatesle to say...

I agreed with the points that so astounded you, and I not only bought Synergy I also saw the band touring off the back of it. I returned the CD, and I found the gig extremely dull. The fact that beer cost an arm and a leg didn't help either, since I was at music school at the time.

But Stu is right about his drum sound, it's excellent. I guess that's what happens when a drum obsessive also turns into a sound engineering obsessive, which Weckl has - IIRC, he does his own drum mix from his own rig before sending it to the house board.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com