DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Starting Guitar...... (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40751)

darkstar442 07-29-2008 01:16 AM

Starting Guitar......

Yea i am.... im making a band with my friend who plays just like me so i was wondering on some good tips for a starting death metal guitarist... im thinking about getting a bc rich warlock guitar.... so give me all your good tips on how i can become very good at death metal playing

Tylerdrums109 07-29-2008 02:18 AM

Re: Starting Guitar......

Guitar being my main instrument i give u this advice....AVOID BC RICH....ESPECIALLY WARLOCKS....the guitars are utter trash...get yourself something that u enjoy the looks of that u will be able to set up well...the action is impossible to get at a nice height and necks on BC RICH guitars make playing them so uncomfortable...not to mention they sound like crap...look on rondomusic.com for great deals on some nice looking guitars that will play well...whats your budget?

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-29-2008 02:45 AM

Get yourself an Ibanez SA or RG, or in fact any Ibanez for your first guitar if you're going to play metal. BC Rich's aren't as comfortable (amongst other things) to play with sitting down and that's how I recommend you start. I've never played a bad Ibanez and I've never played a bad Yamaha either - the Pacifica range are one of the best low-budget guitars you can buy, they are very well made. The same is true of Ibanez - they have excellent quality at every point in their product range. Whereas I cannot guarantee the quality of a BC Rich (there have been professional reviews that question the build construction of some of their mid-level guitars, let along the lower end ones) I can with Ibanez and Yamaha. To my ears, they will sound better too.

Make sure you are comfortable with the neck of the guitar too. My first electric (an excellent guitar) was a PRS Santana SE and although I can play it perfectly well now, I didn't realise what a large neck it had. I have relatively small hands and although I'm now used to it, I still find my v-necked Stratocaster easier to play. The important things to check on a guitar other than the comfort of the neck and body (with regards to sitting down) is the action and intonation. Obviously you can set your own action with some tweaking (I learned the hard way by removing my bridge when I first changed my strings in order to clean it) but fundamentally you want to make sure that the neck is straight or only very slightly concave. Whilst someone with more experience could buy a guitar whose neck isn't perfectly set up (again, with my Strat I needed to do a truss rod adjustment) I would not advise that you attempt this straight away. You can do a lot of damage to a guitar by adjusting the neck poorly. As long as the neck is straight and the frets are level, you should be able to get a good action out of your guitar. This is particularly relevant if you're playing metal, where a low action is usually a necessity and why I would recommend particularly Ibanez for your needs.

Like I've already said, comfort is vital. Whereas Kerry King can play guitars shaped like the back end of an armoured cow, you will not. Playing when standing up is much harder initially than playing whilst sitting down and you will need to be seated when you first learn. For this reason alone I would recommend away from the BC Rich body shapes as a first guitar - and that's before we get to my preferences; that's just common sense.

Don't limit yourself to just playing metal either. If you learn the basic chord positions (A,B,C,D,E,F,G) and their minor equivalents and then learn the barre shapes (which will be necessary for the B and the F major anyway) you will actually progress more quickly than if you just sit down and try and bash through a song you think you know. Although you won't see results straight away, practicing basic chord shapes and scales are vital to fingerboard dexterity and trying to do too much too soon will simply put you off. Remember - guitar is not an easy instrument. Whilst at a basic level it's not as hard as say the Violin or Cello, a lot of logical steps must be undertaken before you start seeing a marked improvement. The key to that is regular practice. When I first started playing the guitar I played eight (yes, eight) hours a day and still regularly manage three or four. Sooner or later, things start making sense, but you must be patient and learn the basics before you jump feet first into the quagmire, or else you'll just get more and more frustrated.

Although metal may seem like a million miles away from other styles on guitar (eg. jazz) there's actually a LOT in common, particularly with regards to basic technique. Your left hand position and your right hand technique need to be fundamentally solid regardless of genre. Don't be afraid to try out different styles of pick either, I recommend something like a basic Dunlop Nylon .88 to start off with, which will give you a good balance of thick and thinness. Don't try and play straight away with a heavy pick, because again, you will just become frustrated. Don't be afraid to experiment either, but make sure you're doing it with the correct right hand technique and that you are using your little finger! I only have small hands like I said so it is even more important for me that I use my little finger, but so must you. It's a common trap that people fall into that actually severely limits their playing in the long run and whilst it will seem frustrating at first, persistence will warrant you with rewards.

darkstar442 07-29-2008 06:13 AM

alright kool thanks for the info and i still would like more but also forgote to mention im using an acoustic right now its a martin d35 or something like the last type of hand made ones lol.... but yea im using a thin pick right now like in the .70-60 range. my budget is very wide although i am saving for an axis al2 i have around 1200 cash in my wallet and like 6 in the bank so i am willing to spend a lot for a good one that will last me

bojangleman 07-29-2008 06:43 AM

to me, of you go into guitar wanting to be a guitarist for a metal band, that plays deadly riffs and all that, you wont get anywhere....because, once you pick a guitar up, you'll want to play a metal song...and there are alot of metal songs that i cant touch, and im pretty good on guitar(not to be bragging...just saying)

i think you need to go into it with an open mind and like MFB said, learn all the basic chords, scales, all the basics....then go from there on the metal part.

i started out with a Schecter Omen 6. and still have it...i love that guitar...its an awesome guitar, feels so good and comfortable, and just sounds really good too!

and like MFB said, Ibanez is an awesome brand too....anything Ibanez would be pretty good...

and your talking about jamming with a band right?
so that means you'll need a bigger amp than just a 15w practice amp...

heres some amps i would suggest....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-...06-i1170731.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-Fl...52-i1175923.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-LG-...06-i1145580.gc

the first one is a Tube amp. it is 60 watts of tube power. but tube amps push sooooo much more than Solid State. so that 60 watt tube amp, would sound like a 120 watt solid state amp...but it would sound better, more warm, open...not muddy. but for all that, it is more expensive.

but then you have the Solid State( = SS). SS amps are great, cheaper, and more popular.
if you turn a SS amp up, it will start sounding muddy. now, i dont mean like 4 or 5...but 6-10, it will sound muddy, and not very good. but if you have 120w, i doubt you'd need it past 5. but for all that, it is less expensive.

hope i helped a bit....ask some more if you need!

Alex

darkstar442 07-29-2008 06:46 AM

yea i know i cant start with metal, i also am learning the basic cords to... got a book and i got some music book to look at but yea thanks for advice on amps bojangles never knew which ones to get

bojangleman 07-30-2008 12:01 AM

another thing, since your not to far from the Guitar Center in the city, go there and check out the amps...they have a pretty good selection.

just tell them what your looking for, and see which one you like best...i could list links all day, but it would need to be the one you like...

and thats good about the chords and books! =)

Alex

Warheart 07-30-2008 05:10 AM

1) Learn to read tablature, chords, music, etc.
2) Find tabs of crushing songs and practice them.
3) Study theory and practice your scales/modes/sweeps/arpeggios/etc.
4) ????
5) Profit!

Also don't forget to listen to good metal, not shit haha.

Class A Drummer 07-30-2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar442 (Post 464013)
Yea i am.... im making a band with my friend who plays just like me so i was wondering on some good tips for a starting death metal guitarist... im thinking about getting a bc rich warlock guitar.... so give me all your good tips on how i can become very good at death metal playing

I use to own a Warlock. For the cost its a very nice guitar, and extremley comfortable to play, but it seems to me like you only want that guitar for its looks, is this true? I ask this because when buying a guitar or any instrument it should not be about the look, it should be the sound.

My adivice is to get a teacher. Also, if you have comcast On Demand, go to the music section and go to guitar lessons.

If you need any help or advice feel free to ask me, ive only been playing for about 3 years so im still not that good yet.

TheGroceryman 07-30-2008 05:23 AM

Wait, am i missing something, or is it just because of my total ignorance for the guitar and me not knowing anything about them. Cause i dont see how 2 electric guitars can sound different. Isnt the amp that makes the sound?

I probably sound like an idiot.

bojangleman 07-30-2008 05:29 AM

yes, amps have effect on the guitar, but you get different tone from the guitar just like you do from drums...

different pick-ups(things that pick up the vibrations from the strings that makes the sound) different wood, all different things come into play...

amps do make alot of it, but if you had the same amp, and 2 different guitars, they wont sound alike...

Alex

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-30-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGroceryman (Post 464424)
Wait, am i missing something, or is it just because of my total ignorance for the guitar and me not knowing anything about them. Cause i dont see how 2 electric guitars can sound different. Isnt the amp that makes the sound?

I probably sound like an idiot.

Let's go through the list.

Pickup selection (humbuckers and single coils are radically different - I have one of each and they really are different). Higher-output pickups (eg. EMG's or anything active) tend to drive amps into overdrive and distortion more easily. Humbuckers (due to the phase cancellation that is built in to prevent mains hum) have a slightly darker sound than single coils, which are brighter. P-90's, which are large single-coils, lie somewhere between.

Scale length. Guitars with a longer scale length sound 'snappier' and a little brighter, this is another reason (other than the pickups) why Fenders tend to be a little brighter than Gibsons. (who run a shorter scale length).

Wood type/fingerboard type. Different woods impart slightly different qualities onto the sound.

Construction techiques. This is slightly dubious, but some neck setting methods are said to improve sustain compared to others, eg. through necks are supposedly better for sustain than bolt-on necks.

Hardware choices. Much like the construction techniques, some of the hardware can make a difference - 'Tune-o-matic' style bridges are said to improve sustain over other variants.

String selection. Lighter strings have a bit less depth than heavier strings. There's a big difference between a set of 9's and a set of 12's, I've played with both and it's very noticeable.

And yes, the amp does make a big difference, as does everything else. Effects pedals do as well, but most effects pedals whilst altering some of the characteristics will still keep your core tone from your guitar. Overdrive sounds radically different between my PRS Satana SE and my Lite Ash Strat - as do my other effects, like Wah and Tremolo. If the core tone isn't happening, it's going to sound awful regardless of what you put it through.

darkstar442 07-31-2008 12:30 AM

its not necasaraly the look i mean i dont want it to look like crap but umm i liked the looks and then i decided that it would be good because every website i read the reviews and nobody hated it... but yes i do like a sexy guitar and how much do you think i could get for the d35.... and i am thinking about getting a guitar teacher, i know a good one

bojangleman 07-31-2008 01:01 AM

so your getting a Warlock?

Alex

darkstar442 07-31-2008 04:22 AM

lol u guys know more than me so know hahaha but do you know what pick i chould get cuz i keep bending mine im using only like .66 and its crazy how much my picks have bent... should i try in the .9's .8's or what

bojangleman 07-31-2008 04:24 AM

ha..i use .50's ....but your playing acoustic right now? so, you will bend smaller pics on acoutic....but on electric, you wont...

and agian.....are you getting a Warlock? i highly suggest you try them out before you get one..

Alex

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-31-2008 04:54 AM

I actually always play thinner picks with acoustic. I've been experimenting with something a bit thinner on my electric today as well, helps me thrash out some urgent rhythms - I was writing a crazy psychedelic song at the time. Next will be the bass line...

darkstar442 07-31-2008 05:08 AM

lol sry bojangle i ment to say no and not know.... hahahah... also even tho its an accoustic i still try to thrash it like an electric but only as far as i can push it.... iv already started a cool intro for a sreamo song but i just cant find the right sounds to go from slow soft to fast hardcore.... i would tell you how i play it but i dont know how to hahah

Class A Drummer 07-31-2008 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat (Post 464048)
Get yourself an Ibanez SA or RG, or in fact any Ibanez for your first guitar if you're going to play metal. BC Rich's aren't as comfortable (amongst other things) to play with sitting down and that's how I recommend you start.

nah dude, It depends on what BC Rich model you are talking about. The Warlock, even though it looks uncomfortable, is actually by far the most comfortable guitar ive ever played. The shape at the bottom allows you to put it over your left leg as you would do with a footstool, but you dont actually have to buy a footstool. The necks are also very comfortable to play on. And also the warlock is a neck through guitar (the neck and the rest of the guitar is all one piece unlike most guitars where the neck is seperate).

If you wanna go a little higher quality than those, i would suggest buying a Schecter. At the moment i own a Schecter C-1 Classic and it is amazing. Not only is it a neck through gutiar, but it also comes with Seymour Duncan Humbuckers. Along with that, it can be used for hardcore metal, or a clean jazz. Also, it is one of the nicest guitars ive ever seen with its amazing finish and "vine of life" inlay. Only problem is it has only 2 little knob things to adjust the volume and stuff.

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-31-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Class A Drummer (Post 464863)
nah dude, It depends on what BC Rich model you are talking about. The Warlock, even though it looks uncomfortable, is actually by far the most comfortable guitar ive ever played. The shape at the bottom allows you to put it over your left leg as you would do with a footstool, but you dont actually have to buy a footstool. The necks are also very comfortable to play on. And also the warlock is a neck through guitar (the neck and the rest of the guitar is all one piece unlike most guitars where the neck is seperate).

If you wanna go a little higher quality than those, i would suggest buying a Schecter. At the moment i own a Schecter C-1 Classic and it is amazing. Not only is it a neck through gutiar, but it also comes with Seymour Duncan Humbuckers. Along with that, it can be used for hardcore metal, or a clean jazz. Also, it is one of the nicest guitars ive ever seen with its amazing finish and "vine of life" inlay. Only problem is it has only 2 little knob things to adjust the volume and stuff.

Clearly you haven't played enough guitars. I've played Warlocks and Beasts and never found them comfortable in the slightest - the mere fact that you HAVE to play it over the left leg says enough really. The only kind of guitar I've found more impractical for sitting down is a Flying V, and I've played a few variants of those as well. Not comfortable either having to support the neck with the left hand.

In the last two years I've played: Several Stratocasters (I own one) a PRS Santana SE (again, I own), several Telecasters (as well as a custom-made Siggery Telecaster, which was beautiful), a customised Ibanez Musician (heavy, very heavy, but wonderful sound), a BC Rich Warlock and Beast (people at college owned them), at least two Flying V-based guitars, an Explorer Copy, an Ovation double-neck (12 and 6 string) an Ashton 12 String (cheaper make, played very well, sounded good), numerous Freshman Acoustics (I own one, a very nice one), an Ibanez SA (lovely player, VERY comfortable), an Ibanez Joe Satriani Model (not to my taste, but a very good guitar nonetheless), a Schecter Diamond Series (very impressed by), a few Les Pauls (including a really nice Epiphone(!) Black Beauty Custom (three pickup)) and Les Paul Copies, a couple of SG's and SG Copies, an Ibanez SZ, a Danelectro Pro '59, a vintage Gibson ES-345 (1976 model - walnut finish) and ES-125 (1954 model, lovely if in need of some work) and quite a few others I'm undoubtedly forgetting and that's before I start including basses.

BC Rich Mockingbirds probably are comfortable. As are the Assassins. Warlocks and Beasts just are not comfortable guitars to sit down with. The necks for me are far too skinny and then there's the faffing around with the locking trems. Would you recommend a locking trem for a beginner? I sure as Hell wouldn't - I know how to use those things, I've set up guitars with them and played a few and I've never liked them. Most BC Rich's have a locking trem of some description and that is something that I would really not I would inflict upon a beginner. Even without the locking trem, there's enough scope for me to really recommend something like an Ibanez SA over a BC Rich. On the list above I mentioned I'd played one. A friend owns it. For a budget(ish) guitar it's got a really great feel, it's comfortable, easy to play and sounds pretty good - my friend has since changed the pickups; but the stocks were good if unspectacular. Based on the needs of the request, I really would recommend any solid-body Ibanez over a BC Rich in a heartstroke. Even the quality of build is better.

I don't have an axe to grind against BC Rich. They've made some decent guitars, but I really don't think they're a good choice for a first guitar - I really do not think they are. Once you've learned to play and know what you want, if you want a Rich, go for it. That's cool - you've made a decision, but for a first guitar, something more conventional is the best option. Something comfortable, easy to play, well built and that sounds good and an Ibanez SA fulfills all of those criteria.

Class A Drummer 07-31-2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat (Post 464873)
Clearly you haven't played enough guitars. I've played Warlocks and Beasts and never found them comfortable in the slightest - the mere fact that you HAVE to play it over the left leg says enough really. The only kind of guitar I've found more impractical for sitting down is a Flying V, and I've played a few variants of those as well. Not comfortable either having to support the neck with the left hand.

In the last two years I've played: Several Stratocasters (I own one) a PRS Santana SE (again, I own), several Telecasters (as well as a custom-made Siggery Telecaster, which was beautiful), a customised Ibanez Musician (heavy, very heavy, but wonderful sound), a BC Rich Warlock and Beast (people at college owned them), at least two Flying V-based guitars, an Explorer Copy, an Ovation double-neck (12 and 6 string) an Ashton 12 String (cheaper make, played very well, sounded good), numerous Freshman Acoustics (I own one, a very nice one), an Ibanez SA (lovely player, VERY comfortable), an Ibanez Joe Satriani Model (not to my taste, but a very good guitar nonetheless), a Schecter Diamond Series (very impressed by), a few Les Pauls (including a really nice Epiphone(!) Black Beauty Custom (three pickup)) and Les Paul Copies, a couple of SG's and SG Copies, an Ibanez SZ, a Danelectro Pro '59, a vintage Gibson ES-345 (1976 model - walnut finish) and ES-125 (1954 model, lovely if in need of some work) and quite a few others I'm undoubtedly forgetting and that's before I start including basses.

BC Rich Mockingbirds probably are comfortable. As are the Assassins. Warlocks and Beasts just are not comfortable guitars to sit down with. The necks for me are far too skinny and then there's the faffing around with the locking trems. Would you recommend a locking trem for a beginner? I sure as Hell wouldn't - I know how to use those things, I've set up guitars with them and played a few and I've never liked them. Most BC Rich's have a locking trem of some description and that is something that I would really not I would inflict upon a beginner. Even without the locking trem, there's enough scope for me to really recommend something like an Ibanez SA over a BC Rich. On the list above I mentioned I'd played one. A friend owns it. For a budget(ish) guitar it's got a really great feel, it's comfortable, easy to play and sounds pretty good - my friend has since changed the pickups; but the stocks were good if unspectacular. Based on the needs of the request, I really would recommend any solid-body Ibanez over a BC Rich in a heartstroke. Even the quality of build is better.

I don't have an axe to grind against BC Rich. They've made some decent guitars, but I really don't think they're a good choice for a first guitar - I really do not think they are. Once you've learned to play and know what you want, if you want a Rich, go for it. That's cool - you've made a decision, but for a first guitar, something more conventional is the best option. Something comfortable, easy to play, well built and that sounds good and an Ibanez SA fulfills all of those criteria.

I guess we all have our own tastes. Its not that i have to play it over my left leg, its just i prefer it and find it easier. Feels fine on the right leg too as i remember ( i sold it back to the guitar center in order to help finance my schecter). But believe me, ive played a few guitars. I personally dont really like the telecaster feel at all. I just find it uncomfortable without the contour. Even though Les Pauls are really nice guitars, i dont find them very comfortable either.
But yeah ibanez's are good too. Jackson also makes some pretty nice guitars.

darkstar442 08-01-2008 05:50 AM

im not sure what do you guys think about this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-I...8768.gc?mode=1

i decided to go cheaper because my drums arnt complete just yet and they still are my main instrument...

bojangleman 08-01-2008 06:10 AM

that is a good startee pack, but you cant play with a band with that amp...

well, you can, but you will not be heard at all..

Alex

Mediocrefunkybeat 08-01-2008 01:07 PM

That package looks pretty reasonable. You'd have to use a bigger amp with a band, but for home practice I don't see anything wrong with that. I've got my hands around one of those too at college and whilst not a spectacular guitar, it's well built and plays very well - so as a first guitar I think it's pretty much perfect.

stasz 08-01-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat (Post 464521)
...If the core tone isn't happening, it's going to sound awful regardless of what you put it through.

So, if I'm getting this right, then this is sort of the same principle as "If the bearing edges aren't in good condition, then the drum won't sound good regardless of heads, tuning, wood, hardware etc." All things considered-- the differences between drums and guitar etc.

I've been thinking about picking up guitar at some point in the future, so I've been perusing this thread.

Mediocrefunkybeat 08-01-2008 04:17 PM

Absolutely right. You can dress up a sound as much as you like, but the sound has to be a good one in order for it to sound the way you want it. A bright sounding guitar will still produce a brighter sound than a darker sounding guitar regardless of the basic effects you run it through. To complicate matters further, some guitars work better with certain amps and effects. My overdrive pedal is an expensive (read: GOOD) one, and it works well with my guitars, but it works best with the slightly brighter pickups of my Strat - for the sound I want.

darkstar442 08-01-2008 06:56 PM

Mediocre,Bojangleman and Class A thanks for all your help on guiding me through what to use and get for guitars... and if i need i help i will probably unfortunatly pm one of you lol thanks again.

Darkstar442

Mediocrefunkybeat 08-01-2008 07:01 PM

If you need any set up advice, I'll give you a hand. Feel free to PM me.

Ironcobra 08-01-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat (Post 464048)
Get yourself an Ibanez SA or RG, or in fact any Ibanez for your first guitar if you're going to play metal.

You got that right. I'll be picking up a RG very soon.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/docum...481915&index=1

And it's only 450 bucks. Sorry if someone already said something along the lines of this.

As for amps, you're going to need a half stack or a powerful 12x2 combo.

cottonwolf 08-20-2008 08:16 PM

Here are the electrics I own
Fender VG strat, a USA fat strat. USA tele and a USA 78 strat
Gibson Les paul recording model, Les Paul custom, les Paul BFG, 64 Firebird, and a Standard SG
Ibanez R442, a Rg 760, and a JEM
Gretsch - Chet Atkins Tenn Rose, and a White Falacon
Rickenbacker - Dakota 650C
Erlewine Lazer
I have owned various others and am probably leaving some out.

As the person above suggested, I would suggest an Ibanez, if you can afford it get a Japanese one. You can often find a 90's model MIJ for a reasonable price.

You might also want to try a Les Paul BFG, they are cheap by les paul standards and have a burstbucker 3 pickup in the bridge and a P90 in the neck. That is a pretty hot guitar, they are not so pretty though if you are into that.

Fat strats are pretty hot versatile guitars and can be found fairly resonably, even USA ones. They made a heavy metal strat (HM Strat) that you can pick up even cheaper also. I never played one but you may want to check one out.

Hope that helps
If any of you drummers want to help a poor guitar player out give me some advice on a drum kit here please
http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...d=1#post107022

Oregan1 10-02-2009 03:23 AM

When buying a guitar
Don't worry about looks, or sound too much.
Pick one up, get a feel for it. play it. Everyone is different, and what
one guitarist says is his dream guitar will be horrible to someone else.

I personally can't stand les pauls, where as everyone seems to love them!

A good starting point (in my opinion) would be an Ibanez (RG or SA series)
or an ESP LTD, one of the M series perhaps. BC rich, are good for looks
but anyone i've played is horrible, and having a big bulky guitar isn't that
great.

As for playing, If death metal is your fancy, be patient. It's fast, and quite
technically proficient. I recommend practicing right hand technique from the get go.
Emphasis on alternate picking at the beginning. Developing this technique early
is a good thing! eight finger tapping is best saved for later!

Oregan1 10-02-2009 03:50 PM

As far as what to practice, theres a million different websites that'll give you
ideas. Just don't make sure you don't fall into the "pfft I don't need to learn
chords!" mindset. You DO. They're great for improving finger strength and dexterity.
And of course, grab a few scales and bust out that metronome!

It'll probably be a while before you can play any death metal songs.
Although for a start, try some old school stuff like Death, Autopsy, and Carcass.
Some of their stuff isn't too difficult. Bands like Nile, Dying Foetus or Necrophagist
are gonna be next to impossible to learn. I've been playing nearly 10 years
and i still can't touch necrophagist. Maybe i'm not as good as I think :P

Best of luck
And their will be those horribly frustrating days
But don't lose heart.

Regards
Kieran

justjim 10-02-2009 10:21 PM

Mel Bay method level 1 - it's a rite of passage

gsnoorky 11-03-2009 09:52 AM

Hummm: Differing guitars: Strat. vs. Les Paul. Listen to Dire Straits' Mark Knopfler and his Strat on signature Dire Straits tunes--only a Strat can sound like that. Strats are used more by blues and rock/blues musicians. Jimmy page likes Les Paul--it gives a harder, heavier sound--more appropriate for Led Zeppelin's prototype heavy metal....

Yeah--guitars sound different from each other--humbucker vs. coil, solid body vs. hollow or semi-hollow body, differing woods and wood quality. The great guys here are right--you need to try out different electric guitars with a critical and open mind.

As is true with every other instrument in music, different quality instruments each have their place--with their peculiar advantages and limitations. Amps and pedals (and, now, software) certainly add a huge influence on sound. Also, you may "mod" your instrument with different after-market pickups and hardware. With all the differing sounds and capabilities, your decisions are really complex--don't beat yourself up too much if you don't get it completely right at first--you probably can't. Although the people here and elsewhere will prove really helpful, you can't garner total consensus from others on what's "right" for you. You'll likely make incremental changes as you gain experience. It may even be that you may first choose a guitar that's easier to learn on: Later on, you may purchase one that better fits expertise....

People are absolutely right about practicing: Get your fingers used to chords and electric strings--there's no way around it! You have to depend on chords becoming second nature. I'd like to say to get a really good quality instrument that's adjusted for easy action so that your fingers won't suffer so much. (Some people develop really strong fingers: So, they choose thick strings--adjusting them so they're high off the frets--giving a heavy action. Not all people do this, however.)