DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Think there's an album release in the works... (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40484)

KCDrummer 07-21-2008 07:05 PM

Think there's an album release in the works...
 
So, one of the groups I'm a part of, Shay Estes and the Mark Lowrey Trio, recorded about a dozen tracks a few months ago with the intention of using the recording for promotional purposes (Myspace, etc.). But it just came out of a mixing and mastering session and we think it sounds too good not to release it as an album.

We've got to do some homework, figuring out what the replication, mechanical license, etc. is going to cost and where that money is going to come from, but with any luck we'll have an album to hock to the masses (including all of YOU!) before too long.

YAY!

stasz 07-22-2008 01:57 AM

Re: Think there's an album release in the works...
 
Sweet! Sounds awesome zach. Your playing is great and I'm sure this album will sound great. I'm guessing it's a collection of jazz tunes?

aydee 07-22-2008 07:01 AM

Re: Think there's an album release in the works...
 
Great news, Zack, looking forward to it.

KCDrummer 07-22-2008 03:54 PM

Re: Think there's an album release in the works...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself (Post 461452)
Sweet! Sounds awesome zach. Your playing is great and I'm sure this album will sound great. I'm guessing it's a collection of jazz tunes?

Yup, quite a few jazz standards like "Dearly Beloved", "Day In, Day Out" and Skylark", but one thing I like about this particular group is that we also do some Latin stuff and some songs by non-jazz artists.

For example, we do a great Samba arrangement of the standard "Cry Me a River", and I did some arrangements/reharmonizations of the Beatles' "Across the Universe" and two tunes by Tom Waits.

At live shows, we also do arrangements of tunes by Radiohead, the Beach Boys, The Church, Feist, and Sting.

stasz 07-22-2008 04:37 PM

Re: Think there's an album release in the works...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KCDrummer (Post 461638)
Yup, quite a few jazz standards like "Dearly Beloved", "Day In, Day Out" and Skylark", but one thing I like about this particular group is that we also do some Latin stuff and some songs by non-jazz artists.

For example, we do a great Samba arrangement of the standard "Cry Me a River", and I did some arrangements/reharmonizations of the Beatles' "Across the Universe" and two tunes by Tom Waits.

At live shows, we also do arrangements of tunes by Radiohead, the Beach Boys, The Church, Feist, and Sting.

Cool. I really wanna hear that arrangement of Across the Universe... although Beatles songs have been covered to hell in too many different styles, I like Tony Williams' jazz arrangements of some of them-- like the Fool on the Hill.

burnthehero 07-22-2008 05:22 PM

Re: Think there's an album release in the works...
 
Congrats man! Being part of the creation of an album is a thrilling experience. Having something to show friends, family, musicians, and even your own kids someday is really neat.

Drummer Karl 07-22-2008 09:29 PM

Re: Think there's an album release in the works...
 
Congrats! What istruments did you play with in this setting?
Sounds really good, I`m excited about some samples...

How long did a tune take? I havn`t got a good imagination when it comes recording together at the same time.

So, very nice to hear...always enjoy your music Zack!

Karl

KCDrummer 07-22-2008 11:04 PM

Re: Think there's an album release in the works...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer Karl (Post 461756)
Congrats! What istruments did you play with in this setting?
Sounds really good, I`m excited about some samples...

How long did a tune take? I havn`t got a good imagination when it comes recording together at the same time.

So, very nice to hear...always enjoy your music Zack!

Karl

Piano, upright bass, drums and vocals. The whole session was about six hours. We did multiple takes of six tunes two or three each. Those were the ones we really wanted to get down. We got through those and had time to spare so we decided to just lay down single takes of as many more tunes as we had time for, which was another six.

Drummer Karl 07-23-2008 12:44 AM

Re: Think there's an album release in the works...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KCDrummer (Post 461789)
Piano, upright bass, drums and vocals. The whole session was about six hours. We did multiple takes of six tunes two or three each. Those were the ones we really wanted to get down. We got through those and had time to spare so we decided to just lay down single takes of as many more tunes as we had time for, which was another six.

Thanks Zack.
For a long time I didn`t really listened to some Jazz tunes with vocals...though it was a real pleasure to listen to 'These Are The Things' on Quincy Davis` myspace site.
And of course Diana Krall is one I love to listen to...

So, I`m excited about the stuff you recorded. We know that you`re one unique cat... ;-)

Karl


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com