DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Why aren't you practising right now?? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40017)

Jon Cable 07-06-2008 04:52 PM

Why aren't you practising right now??

Instead of browsing the forum, could you be practising now? or is it too late/inconvenient/are you on the puter at work?? Cmon ya lazy bums; WHY aren't you shedding at this very moment?? [Best answer gets a big kiss....]

caddywumpus 07-06-2008 05:59 PM

Re: Why aren't you practising right now??

I'm taking a quick "break" while my 10 month old daughter eats some cheerios and my 2.5 year old son is taking a bath. This forum is a way to take my mind off the insanity that raising 2 kids can be sometimes. (I have to be close to the kids at all times and I can't be loud...that's why I'm on here...when my wife comes home, MAYBE then I can drum!)

KCDrummer 07-06-2008 06:03 PM

Good question.

The short answer is that my girlfriend is asleep. The longer, more honest answer is that I only own one kit and I rarely go more than a couple days without having to load it up for a gig. Setting it up for just a day or two doesn't seem worth it, and I'm realizing that this isn't a great excuse.

I don't have to set up the whole bloody kit for practicing to be worth it, I can just get out a ride cymbal and work on my time playing along with some recordings, or I can just get out the snare drum and work on my brush stuff. In some ways, this type of practice might be more beneficial than playing on the whole kit.

So we're going to be moving in a couple weeks and it's in the back of my head to embark on some sort of practice routine once we get settled in the new place.

It felt good to get that out in the open.

"Hi, my name's Zack, and I'm a non-practicing slacker". "Hi, Zack!"

stasz 07-06-2008 06:11 PM

Hi, I'm Ian and I'm a non-practicing slacker too. It's been about 20 hours since I last played drums.

I'm eating, and afterwards I'm gonna go play Wii. Do I need a better reason? Even the greatest players have non-drumming lives.

FourOnSix 07-06-2008 11:36 PM

i broke all my sticks and don't get paid til wednsday...

Monica McCoy 07-07-2008 01:56 AM

It's too hot in the garage right now.

maddrummr 07-07-2008 05:03 AM

My drums are at my band mates house...but my pad is on my desk

mikei 07-07-2008 05:11 AM

Played twice today. For about 30 minutes each time.

Wife and kids are number one. Oldest daughter turned 11 years old today.

They grow so fast!!!!

crdirtRider856 07-07-2008 05:15 AM

I wish I had a somewhat funny reason but truth is- I'm at a loss of motivation recently. Like tonight, I was gonna play for an hour or two, then noticed my neighbors next door and behind me were out enjoying the weather. So I figured I d give em the night. Normally Id say screw them, I lived here first. I dont know...is this loss of motivation or being a good neighbor? Either way its too late now.

mikei 07-07-2008 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crdirtdider856 (Post 456117)
I dont know...is this loss of motivation or being a good neighbor? Either way its too late now.

Probably a bit of both!!!!

Nothing wrong with taking a break.

I was gone for a week on vacation and didn't touch a drum for 7 days.

I got back and was having withdrawls to play!!!!

Has to be a healthy mix of everything in life. Can't be drums, and drums alone.

stasz 07-07-2008 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikei (Post 456120)
Probably a bit of both!!!!

Nothing wrong with taking a break.

I was gone for a week on vacation and didn't touch a drum for 7 days.

I got back and was having withdrawls to play!!!!

Has to be a healthy mix of everything in life. Can't be drums, and drums alone.

I know how you feel. Last 2 1/2 weeks i was out of town with not a drum to be seen. I swear I was getting the DTs!!!

mikei 07-07-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself (Post 456121)
I know how you feel. Last 2 1/2 weeks i was out of town with not a drum to be seen. I swear I was getting the DTs!!!

two and a half weeks.

My god.

I would have sold my wifes jewelry and robbed people until I had enough money to run into one of the local pawn shops. My withdrawls would have been bad.

I would be like Amy Winehouse on a bad day!!

Glad you made it!!!!

burnthehero 07-07-2008 07:01 AM

My e-kit won't arrive until Thursday so I'm exempt.

Tom Sawyer 07-07-2008 08:08 AM

My kit's set up two meters beside me, and lookin' gorgeous. My mom is still asleep, so I can't play right now, but in about an hour, yeah!

hauk 07-07-2008 08:11 AM

It's too late, I swear that's the reason! (don't hurt me)

aydee 07-07-2008 12:04 PM

Jon, if I was practicing now.. I'd miss your posts, dude!!!!! it also doesnt help if I'm on a plane...

aruration 07-08-2008 12:35 PM

I am at work right now..

But john we aren't YOU practising right now ?? ;p

chopsy 07-08-2008 06:40 PM

who said I'm not practicing??

I may be at work, but I'm using the mouse with my left to help with building my weaker side and I'm playing along to the music in my headphones with my feet under the desk

Fett2oo5 07-08-2008 06:43 PM

I'm in my cube =( And here recently I've had to put in extra time, double sad-face.
I've brought in a fridge, and some snacks/microwave meals. But I wouldn't be doing it if I couldn't use it for ammo when I ask for a raise in a few months. Which will mean a promotion, -> more money -> money to get more drum toys. Is the way I see it.

stasz 07-08-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fett2oo5 (Post 456732)
I'm in my cube =( And here recently I've had to put in extra time, double sad-face.
I've brought in a fridge, and some snacks/microwave meals. But I wouldn't be doing it if I couldn't use it for ammo when I ask for a raise in a few months. Which will mean a promotion, -> more money -> money to get more drum toys. Is the way I see it.

Ah. So it comes full circle to the drum addiction. It all makes sense now!!

Philippe 07-08-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Cable (Post 455948)
Instead of browsing the forum, could you be practising now? or is it too late/inconvenient/are you on the puter at work?? Cmon ya lazy bums; WHY aren't you shedding at this very moment?? [Best answer gets a big kiss....]

because I just finished practising!!!

zambizzi 07-08-2008 07:10 PM

Good point. However, I just tried and my boss said the noise level was a bit too high for my cubicle.

I guess my imagination and a Futz pedal will have to suffice.

Drummer Karl 07-08-2008 08:31 PM

Mhh, good question. Got home from work, I`m really really tired...can just sit here and relax. And it`s 8:30 pm over here. Anyway, noticed that this work is a hard time, I`m happy when I`ve got holidays again, then consistent practicing is possible again.

Hey, but I practiced with real musicians last weekend. ;-)

Karl

Philippe 07-08-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zambizzi (Post 456748)
Good point. However, I just tried and my boss said the noise level was a bit too high for my cubicle.

hm, yes, doesn't work in the office. but same goes for a trumpet player...

k3ng 07-09-2008 04:44 AM

stop making me feel guilty.

franklinj 07-09-2008 04:50 AM

Im about 3000 miles away from my set right now, so yeah.

zambizzi 07-09-2008 04:54 AM

Alright, alright, alright already...I'm practicing...

blade123 07-09-2008 04:59 AM

I am...sort of. I'm waiting for Finale 2007 to install while I'm listening to a song I'm going to transcribe.

zambizzi 07-09-2008 07:23 AM

...because I have just finished a practice session... :)

branflakes992 07-09-2008 06:40 PM

Can't make the neighbors pissed off lol

Mediocrefunkybeat 07-09-2008 06:43 PM

I'm tired and I just finished doing the sound for an afternoon show. I really can't be bothered to play...

rmandelbaum 07-10-2008 01:16 AM

I did an hour on the pad out of "Stick Control" and an hour on the kit 1/2 an hour out of "rudiment Groves For The Drumset" and 1/2 working on new tunes for Fridays rehearsal, so I think I practiced today ;-)

Jon Cable 07-10-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aruration (Post 456655)
I am at work right now..

But john we aren't YOU practising right now ?? ;p

Because I'm too damn idle bro LMBFAO!! I actually sit at my computer and try to maintain steady 16ths with my feet on the floor....ends up with my right foot doing uneven 14ths and very slow semibreve triplets with my left....anyhoos I ASKED FIRST!!
Good answers guys, we all wanna be Jojo but...life is a huge tapestry and drums maybe a big part for all of us, but there are still other things....that woman thats always around my house, whats her name...??? Oh thats it.... MY WIFE and those smaller people who eat all the food...and use the damn phone...and the dawgs....

Jon Cable 07-10-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnthehero (Post 456157)
My e-kit won't arrive until Thursday so I'm exempt.

Great answer my friend.....looks like the big kiss is heading your way......heeheee!!!
Pucker up hunny......

fijjibo 07-10-2008 09:46 PM

I broke all my limbs?

and lost the ability to convieve rhythmic thought?

Jon Cable 07-10-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fijjibo (Post 457533)
I broke all my limbs?

and lost the ability to convieve rhythmic thought?

You're a UK drummer dood..we never had rhythmic thought...and ya don't get Big Jons sexy snog for that answer either...

fijjibo 07-10-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Cable (Post 457539)
You're a UK drummer dood..we never had rhythmic thought...and ya don't get Big Jons sexy snog for that answer either...

Aye, but I could always tie you down to the drum throne and beat you with my jumbo drumsticks ;-)

Right now Im not practicing cos my house burned down, taking my family, pets, and beloved possesions with it, but the drums survived - BUT then a giant piano fell out of the sky, and totaly pwned my kit - BUT i still had the djembe, untill a chav came along and mugged me of it at knife point.
BUT - I still have a cowbell, but all of a sudden some yorkshireman came up and beat me half to death, and took the cowbell, and strapped it his prize cow daisy.

And, then all my sticks and practice pads expoled in the great "practice pad bombings of 2008"

Now - thats why im not practicing right now.

Jon Cable 07-10-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fijjibo (Post 457543)
Aye, but I could always tie you down to the drum throne and beat you with my jumbo drumsticks ;-)

Right now Im not practicing cos my house burned down, taking my family, pets, and beloved possesions with it, but the drums survived - BUT then a giant piano fell out of the sky, and totaly pwned my kit - BUT i still had the djembe, untill a chav came along and mugged me of it at knife point.
BUT - I still have a cowbell, but all of a sudden some yorkshireman came up and beat me half to death, and took the cowbell, and strapped it his prize cow daisy.

And, then all my sticks and practice pads expoled in the great "practice pad bombings of 2008"

Now - thats why im not practicing right now.

Awww dood, ya nearly got the snog...if only you hadn't used the 'anti-yorkshireman' slur.....I were born in't Barnsley tha knos....

fijjibo 07-10-2008 10:14 PM

Sorry, but I refuse to let a yorkshireman stick his tongue down my throat....

Mainly because im a bloke......

Jon Cable 07-10-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fijjibo (Post 457554)
Sorry, but I refuse to let a yorkshireman stick his tongue down my throat....

Mainly because im a bloke......

Some people are just SOOOOOOOOOOOO choosy....MWUAHHHH!!