DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mike "Machine" Mallais here! (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39649)

Mike Machine 06-23-2008 10:37 PM

Mike "Machine" Mallais here!

Hey Everyone,

Im glad to be apart of this community... hope everyone will be supportive and share your insight with me!!!

Feel free to ask me anything...

Also check out my other web places

www.mikemachine.com
www.myspace.com/mikemachinemallais

Mike

Jeff Almeyda 06-23-2008 11:00 PM

Re: Mike Machine Here!!!

What's up Mike!

We met at NAMM 07 when you broke the WFD record. Nice to see you here.

Jeff

Mike Machine 06-23-2008 11:11 PM

Thanks brotha!!! hard to say I remember ur face without a picture hahah... either way...how ya been bro?!

Mike

DamoSyzygy 06-24-2008 05:27 AM

Gday from Australia Mike!

Great to see some more 'celebrity' names on here Youll find this forum a great resource for keeping in touch with what drummers are into.

Welcome aboard!

Mike Machine 06-24-2008 12:39 PM

Hey Damien, Thanks for the warm welcome mate :) ...hows life down under? ever run into Virgil over there?

Mike

Tutin 06-24-2008 01:24 PM

Hey Mike! Welcome to the forum! It's a great resource even for someone of your standards I'm sure.

Look forward to picking your brains!

T

Tim Waterson 06-24-2008 01:46 PM

Hey Mike you crazy fast cannuckk eh........
its the water that makes us fast...LOL
welcome to the forums..
Tim

Therma lobsterdore 06-24-2008 02:13 PM

I've heard of you before mike but I've never actually witnessed your playing till now, damn your good! What bands do you play in man? I'd love to hear you playing with a death metal band of some kind.

Mike Machine 06-24-2008 04:22 PM

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy everyone!!!

Timster...how ya been mang?!

Thanks alot for the compliments... Im actually working on some NEW video footage now... I feel the videos on youtube are pretty CRAPPY imo... nothing in those felt "right" and theyre all "1 trick pony" vids... so expect some really versatile stuff coming soon!!!

Im glad to have your support tho guys... feel free to ask/say anything!!!

Mike

Ironcobra 06-24-2008 04:43 PM

Hey Mike! Glad to see you're on the forum, we can always use good input from great drummers like yourself.

DamoSyzygy 06-24-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Hey Damien, Thanks for the warm welcome mate :) ...hows life down under? ever run into Virgil over there?

Mike
Hes been living abroad (I think LA?) for some years now, so sadly I only met him last when Planet X toured, which was in 2003 if I recall correctly.

I put on a few clinics though, so chances are Ill see him again at some point!

Mike Machine 06-26-2008 05:37 PM

Right on bro... I guess he finds LA to more of a central location for work etc...

Living in Canada is a REAL test to our commitment to music... here its like BEGGING to be a musician... Talent/skill are 1/100th of what it takes to stay working here... im sure this is the same in alot of places... but I really feel limited here.

Hopefully more exposure like this will help get me on a tour bus soon :)

Mike

Mike Machine 07-15-2008 08:23 PM

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9677989&ref=mf

Visit me on facebook!!!

Mike

Mike Machine 07-28-2008 04:36 AM

Re: Mike "Machine" Mallais here!

I thought i'd pop in to let you guys know I'm working very hard at getting video footage up soon...

Im my own worst critique so I really want to do the BEST I can with these... I feel I'm really coming up with some tasty stuff...but I don't want to lose my improv "feel" either...so please be patient :)

I'd also like to thank whomever made this thread a STICKY... I thank you sincerely and hope to make this community proud!!!

I hope everyone here had a GREAT weekend of drumming/gigging/networking!!! I know I did!!!

Mike

Mike Machine 08-28-2008 06:38 AM

Hey Everyone,

Well I just want to share an update with you all...

I've been customizing my "studio" kit MAJORLY ...so the videos I shot are all scrapped and now i'm doing new ones to help unveil the NEW sounds/visuals I've created with my friends at PEARL!!!

Live it. Love it. Smash it.!!!

Mike

mind_drummer 08-28-2008 07:32 PM

Hi Mike

Welcome aboard.

I wish you the best in your career and up-coming WFD competitions.

A+

voyaging 11-19-2008 11:06 PM

Hey Mike!

What kind of shoes do you wear when you play drums? Thanks!

intheruff 11-20-2008 05:02 PM

Hey Mike, welcome aboard. Its great to have found this site with so many great drummers willing to share their experience and give advice when asked. My question is with regards to improving speed and CONTROL on the bd. I'm using DW 4000 pedals, yet more often than not my single stroke bd rolls sound like a herd of buffalo stampeding down the stairs. The rolls seem to be better, smoother, when playing at faster speeds (32nds at 80bpm), however after about four measures they begin to lop, and generally go downhill from there. I've begun to use John F's 'elements' to help with the control bit and hope that will help. Any advice on how I might resolve the buffalo effect while also improving speed? Also, I got a dvd from one of your countrymen that explains and demonstrates his idea of the heel/toe technique, where each beater is hitting twice, a double stroke roll. Do you use this technique, or I'm I beating my head against a rock trying to learn this difficult approach? I notice Roddy and Sucherman use single stroke exclusively, or at least that's how I understand it. Thanks for any advice and will look forward to visiting your thread on a regular basis.

Mike Machine 12-24-2008 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyaging (Post 503609)
Hey Mike!

What kind of shoes do you wear when you play drums? Thanks!

www.drumshoes.com

Mike

Mike Machine 12-24-2008 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intheruff (Post 503908)
Hey Mike, welcome aboard. Its great to have found this site with so many great drummers willing to share their experience and give advice when asked. My question is with regards to improving speed and CONTROL on the bd. I'm using DW 4000 pedals, yet more often than not my single stroke bd rolls sound like a herd of buffalo stampeding down the stairs. The rolls seem to be better, smoother, when playing at faster speeds (32nds at 80bpm), however after about four measures they begin to lop, and generally go downhill from there. I've begun to use John F's 'elements' to help with the control bit and hope that will help. Any advice on how I might resolve the buffalo effect while also improving speed? Also, I got a dvd from one of your countrymen that explains and demonstrates his idea of the heel/toe technique, where each beater is hitting twice, a double stroke roll. Do you use this technique, or I'm I beating my head against a rock trying to learn this difficult approach? I notice Roddy and Sucherman use single stroke exclusively, or at least that's how I understand it. Thanks for any advice and will look forward to visiting your thread on a regular basis.

Slow and steady wins the race forsure man... do whatever tempo u can for around 5-15 minute sessions... also... if you're looking to work smarter instead of harder...try "Pressed Doubles"... i'll elaborate more soon!!!

Happy Holidays D-World!!!

Mike

PS -vids coming soon...

intheruff 12-24-2008 08:19 AM

Pressed doubles? I'm intrigued and anxious to do something that'll produce better results. Smarter might be smarter... :) I'll look forward to your elaboration.

Kyle_Drummer_666 12-27-2008 06:48 PM

Hey Mike, I'm going to start entering the WFD. I was going to do it in 2008 but I missed my chance. For the double bass single minute record, I'm getting around 750 right now. I'm not close to your record yet, but I've only been playin drums for 2 years now, so I'm doin pretty good. So in 2 or 3 years, expect me to take your title =)

Mike Machine 01-08-2009 09:54 AM

I wish everyone who is interested in WFD the best... the bar(s) are set so high now...if you're going to get in... GET IN NOW before its literally impossible to go any faster without a new product or method.

I support everyone who gives TRUE effort.

Mike

mattsmith 01-08-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Machine (Post 524939)
I wish everyone who is interested in WFD the best... the bar(s) are set so high now...if you're going to get in... GET IN NOW before its literally impossible to go any faster without a new product or method.

Mike

I agree Mike. Although I'm pretty much done with that part of my life, I will always have nothing but good feelings for the way it taught me a lot of things, especially about the business itself. With the way the music business doesn't have so many of those entry level pro bands any more to get you out there, I found that WFD helped with that immensely. And Boo McAfee and Craig Alan are good, honest guys worthy of loyalty and support. I also don't think people have to take as much heat for being involved like used to happen. Besides the general public never cared about all that anyway.

I got the world record I was after, and acheived my goal. I support anyone willing to take the next step, and I wish them good luck.

Mike Machine 01-08-2009 06:57 PM

Congrats again Matty... did my Burst technique help you much?

Mike

Kyle_Drummer_666 01-08-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Machine (Post 524939)

Mike

I was going to get in last year but the closest event was about a 9 hour drive away and my parents didnt want to take me. So this year I'm going to enter it for sure. My parents said they'd take me this year. By the way, check out some of my drum covers on youtube if you get a chance. I'd appreciate it alot, and if you can give me any advice and whatnot that'd be golden. Thanks for your time Mike.

sk8erpnkmt369 01-14-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Machine (Post 452079)
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy everyone!!!

Timster...how ya been mang?!

Thanks alot for the compliments... Im actually working on some NEW video footage now... I feel the videos on youtube are pretty CRAPPY imo... nothing in those felt "right" and theyre all "1 trick pony" vids... so expect some really versatile stuff coming soon!!!

Im glad to have your support tho guys... feel free to ask/say anything!!!

Mike

Not to sound like a douche or anything, because I def respect you and understand that you're a great(FAST) drummer, but i wasn't feelin much more than a couple of parts in your vids. Except for the namm footage, that was pretty epic.

But I just think that you're much better than that. Actually im pretty sure you are.

Even with saying that i do like how you use your strongest features(your feet) in those two videos.

excited for the stuff man.

~matt~

leeai 01-16-2009 04:12 AM

Who needs that much velcro?

Why would anyone need that much velcro? These guys sell it by the roll http://www.liangdianup.com/miscellaneous_1.htm and is
hook and look and velcro the same thing?

Toza 01-24-2009 03:49 PM

hi mike, what do you think about trick Pro1-V drum pedal?? What drum pedal do you use?

Mike Machine 07-20-2009 04:01 PM

Hey Everyone!!!

Sorry it's been so long since my last reply... my life has been in circles for months...but i'm happy to be back on track and back with you all here on Drummerworld!!!

Toza - I have owned the Trick Pro1-V Pedals before and honestly I would have to say they didnt suit me at all. Wouldn't go with them personally... I now play Pearls new Demon Drives...and trust me... THESE are the pedals to get... they're everything I wanted in a pedal.

Mike

Mike Machine 11-25-2009 07:08 AM

FINALLY!!!

Something new for you to chew on everyone... this is 1 of alot more demo's coming up soon... funk...jazz...theyre all coming..

Thanks for all your support drummerworld... may your blisters be blessed and your drums sound the heavens!!!

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wff_C_CKm1g

jake_larson 11-25-2009 11:20 PM

Cool video, I like the sound of your drums. What are the specs of that kit?

Mike Machine 02-03-2010 09:57 PM

Jake...Its a hybrid kit I built...

But in other news...here is a sneak preview of another demo session I did recently

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...Mm10TW5IRGc9PQ

I got some really nice responses lately from some big name drummers... like Liberty DeVitto and John Favicchia to name a couple... so it gave me the confidence to post it up here... its a 1 take... total improv...no edits or punch ins... so keep that in mind :D

Mike

Mike Machine 03-09-2010 09:40 PM

No love for that track? ...sheesh haha... well how about this... FIRST posted request here...(ANY genre) and i'll do my best to do on via video and upload it to youtube... ready...set...go.

Mike

Mike Machine 03-16-2010 01:40 AM

Excuse me? What/who is SHO?

Mike

jake_larson 03-16-2010 04:12 AM

ok how about some James Brown style funk and btw that link does not work

Bernhard 03-16-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Machine (Post 676609)
Excuse me? What/who is SHO?

Mike

Sorry, this was a spammer with random messages - removed....

Bernhard

Mike Machine 03-16-2010 07:07 PM

Thanks Bernhard!!! I was confused haha

Jake...which track specificly?

And i'll try to get another link for that track up asap!!!

Mike

jake_larson 03-16-2010 07:34 PM

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...Mm10TW5IRGc9PQ

This link did not work

Mike Machine 03-16-2010 10:48 PM

That link had a cap of 100 downloads...sorry Jake...i'll get another one up

Mike