DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heads and Sticks (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   My favorite sticks (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39)

DogBreath 06-29-2005 10:55 AM

My favorite sticks

Sticks - Vic Firth Signature Series Akira Jimbo.

Bundles - Vic Firth Rute 505.

Brushes - Regal Tip Hickory Handle 550W.

NUTHA JASON 06-29-2005 02:05 PM

Re: My favorite sticks

vater 5a nylon tips manhatten. thick and strong and long. the way me girl likes her man.

j

glynes 06-29-2005 02:41 PM

My very favorite sticks were custom-made for me by my boss, out of Pao Ferro wood. a beautiful, dark, heavy wood. The template was a Zildjian 7A, but they were 2-3 times heavier, with a wonderful, smooth finish, and wore very well, They weren't weight-matched (after all, they were made by a civil engineer on a lathe in his basement!), but that never bothered me. They felt absolutely right in every respect. The only downside was that they left dark brown marks on the drumheads.
Unfortunately, after a couple of months of heavy (for me) hitting, one of them split (my very first broken stick!) ... I'm waiting for my boss to get the 'woodworking bug' again, and make me some more.
The Zildjian 7A's are a perfect fit for me, but I prefer a heavier weight. I tried the 'anti-vibe' version, and liked the feel, but again too light and they didn't wear well ... after just a week they looked like beavers had been at them!

Wegadrummer 06-29-2005 02:52 PM

as i said before :

Vic Firth sd2 bolero

i really love that drumstick, so... perfect balance and perfect grip (i have small hands)
http://sklep.perkusja.com.pl/images/VicFBolero.jpg

mediocrefunkybeat 06-29-2005 06:58 PM

My favourite sticks:

Vic Firth Steve Gadd sigs (When I want to rimshot, seeing as I just put my old snare on my electronic kit)

Vic Firth 7A - Very lively sticks.

Regal Tip 7A - Very hard to use, but a very good feel.

Oh and Wega, I probably have smaller hands than you :-P

DogBreath 06-29-2005 09:13 PM

Nutha, you aren't sniffing hickory smoke, are you? I thought the Manhattans only came in 7As?

Dill X 06-29-2005 10:49 PM

Vic First Thomas Lang Signature Sticks.

Their very thick sticks, but their light and give you a lot of power.

mkv 06-30-2005 04:07 AM

mu favorite sticks:

SD4-light and fast
SD10 - big heavy soundin but light

Bonzo 06-30-2005 05:26 PM

Pro-Mark 5A Japanese Oak, wood tip. They last a long time.

DrUmStIcKmUrDeReR 06-30-2005 10:23 PM

vic firth rock n american hickory

Superlow 06-30-2005 10:55 PM

Vic Firth 5B Nylon. The nylon sticks have the tip shrunk on now, no more glue. The tip is almost Garaunteed to last the life of the stick. The nylon sounds good on washy cymbals. For wood tipped sticks, I enjoy Vater Chad Smith Funk Blaster model. Its basically a 5B with a beefier tip. They have good power and definition.

ewanlaing 06-30-2005 11:16 PM

at the moment i'm using pro-mark 5b's with a nylon tip. they seem to be pretty durable, but i'm no expert. they are a lot softer than the tre cool signature sticks i was using before, so less blisters. are the travis barker ones any good?

Brainstemm 07-01-2005 01:00 AM

I'm currently using PRO MARK ROCK sticks. i like them very much and they wear decently not as bad as some Vic Firths i've played.

Jason Dorn 07-01-2005 02:12 AM

Vic Firth 5b's I love em but the tips dont last.

bigbang 07-02-2005 03:50 AM

vic firth 2b i can't use small sticks it's like playing wth pencils

Bozzio-v-portnoy 07-02-2005 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewanlaing
at the moment i'm using pro-mark 5b's with a nylon tip. they seem to be pretty durable, but i'm no expert. they are a lot softer than the tre cool signature sticks i was using before, so less blisters. are the travis barker ones any good?

Theyre ok. A bit too big for my liking, but light (for thier size), and they sure look cool!

spacebeat3117 07-02-2005 03:25 PM

Firth 5As you cant go wrong with. Other favs are Vater Fatback 3As and Vater 1As ,but those are both way larger.

NUTHA JASON 07-02-2005 06:40 PM

dogbreathy wrote:

Quote:

Nutha, you aren't sniffing hickory smoke, are you? I thought the Manhattans only came in 7As?
oops i meant los angeles. boy is my face red.

j

magand 07-02-2005 09:31 PM

i like the Harvey Mason signature sticks. They are exactly the thickness and weight that i was looking for. i just fell in love. the best sticks ever

somedrummer 07-02-2005 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Dorn
Vic Firth 5b's I love em but the tips dont last.

I have to agree. I bought a brick of them in December and am down to 3 pairs because of that. I am also in a ska band and the shaft just below the tips wears very bad on the hi hat. If someone knows sticks that have nylon tips, preferably a reinforced "below the tip part", and maybe a reinforced rimshot area that arent too heavy, please contact me. Oh yeah those would be my favorite sticks if someone could find them. Thanks,

Rob

chino_Ocio 07-02-2005 11:29 PM

Ehm... The one that works the best for me is de Vic Firth 5A model, but I also tend to play a los with the Vic Firth 7A's and I really enjoy the Zildjian Manu Katche Model, it's diameter is somewhere in between 5A and 7A, and it's as long as a 5A... works really good. And in my practice pad I don't know why... really like to use the Mike Mangini signature model, which I think is too heavy for drums and cymbals :s

Speedy 07-02-2005 11:33 PM

Pro Mark 5A Jap White Oak Wood Tip

Pedro 07-03-2005 02:29 AM

Normally I use the 5A Vic Firth. When I have less money I just buy the 5A by stagg (really good balance!!!)

BUT I haven't actually found yet my favorite sticks because my local dealer only has Vic Firth and some other crappy brands. I'm actually searching for a stick with a balance of the VF 5A, but with a finer tip.

Raymond Bloom 07-03-2005 09:49 PM

Pro-Mark 5A, american hickory, nylon tip

Kevlar 07-03-2005 10:24 PM

Ayotte Jammer...I didn't want something too heavy, but I've gotten so used to the bigger size of my orchestral sticks I needed more size. So a maple stick made sense. I like Ayotte's sticks because they've got no finish, and I just prefer the feel smooth but unlacquered wood.
Oh, BTW those orchestral sticks are Cooperman's Graham C. Johns #1. Very nice. I got a whole bag full of mallets and stuff if anyone wants to hear about those.

GPinney 07-06-2005 07:15 PM

Favorite brand of drum stick?

what is your favorite brand of drumstick?

Speedy 07-07-2005 12:25 AM

Re: Favorite brand of drum stick?

Pro-Mark 5A Jap. White Oak

jamsjr44 07-07-2005 01:49 AM

Re: Favorite brand of drum stick?

I use Vic Firth 7A's wood tip and Promark 747's american hickory and sometimes the japanese white oak.

Rudy McRudster 07-07-2005 04:32 AM

I go between my Steve Gadd signatures and my Dave Weckls. But funny thing about my Weckls is that they are different sizes, one isn't made anymore, so I only use them on occassion.
Other than that I have the Pro-Mark hot rods which are nice but incredibly overpriced and Vater retractable wire brushes that I'm on my third year with. They last a while.

MunsieMan 07-07-2005 04:52 AM

Zildjian Tre Cool....I love those sticks if you ever see me i have them in my hands some people ive known for 2 - 3 years have never seen me without my sticks

aahznightsky 07-07-2005 05:32 AM

Vic Firth for the most part

My favorite to use are the 5B

but for jazz I'll use a lighter stick sometimes, depending on my mood

I also use the hot rods bundles

and When I practice on my v drums I use 2Bs

Alk3fan 07-07-2005 05:47 AM

I use mostly generic sticks for practicing and playing on my own privately, mostly A5's. But when I am 'playing' I use either Vic Firth 5A, or my favorite stick, Pro Mark 5A, very durable sticks and have a great feel to them, but thats one mans opinion.

Alk3fan 07-07-2005 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alk3fan
Pro Mark 5A, very durable sticks and have a great feel to them, but thats one mans opinion.

Let me rephrase, Pro Mark 5A, new generation, Japanese Oak. Wood tip... my favorite.

slingerlandradioking55 07-07-2005 06:22 AM

My Favorite Sticks

Regal Tip Rock model
Vic Firth Buddy Rich model
Vic Firth Steve Gadd model
Regal Tip retractable brushes
Zildjian 5bs or Vic Firth 5as

Anchein Vouivra 07-07-2005 10:06 PM

Jack Dejohnette's Vic Firth signature sticks are incredibly comfortable until you start sweating. It's colored white, wich make them good looking, but this painting make them slide away. I lost them during shows too many times. They also broke quite quick (I'm kinda loud player) but I wish I could find the same feeling with unpainted or gripped sticks.

Milo 07-08-2005 12:46 AM

http://www.promark-stix.com/images/p...AUTOPW747W.jpg

Have used 747s(hickory) for years but when they came out with the Jap white oak Peart stick?? Fuhgettaboutit

Paul Quin 07-08-2005 10:52 PM

I useed Pro Mark 747's for years and years - but I was mostly playing fairly solid rock stuff. They lasted a long time - they rarely broke although they did use to peel from the middle thanks to too many rim shots - and the length and weight seemed perfect.

In the last couple of years, however, my tastes have changed. I have recently discovered the Dennis Chambers signature sticks by Zildjian. They are 16" long, small tip, slightly thinner than the 747's and have a great balance.

They have become my stick of choice. Now if I can only peruade Dennis Chambers to use my signature sticks . . . .

paul

G-money 07-10-2005 12:22 AM

Vater's 5As

Superlight and superstrong

Breakbeat Milo 07-10-2005 11:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
VIC FIRTH Jojo Mayer Siganture Sticks.

So... so... so....soooo..

Colin 07-11-2005 07:07 AM