DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Does jazz make you listen better? (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38157)

KLittle123 05-04-2008 07:05 AM

Does jazz make you listen better?

Okay, kind of a odd question, but I've been listening to jazz 17x more than I usually do and it seems like after I listen to jazz and listen to rock or something it's like I can hear everything clearly, like the chord progressions and the harmonies and all that. Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they get more musically intelligent after listening to jazz.

Steamer 05-04-2008 07:38 AM

Re: Does jazz make you listen better?

Just means your ear is getting better "tuned" so to speak musically speaking. By branching out into other forms of music this requires you to listen more carefully to put it all together and your ear training is helping with your overall listening skills when now listening to any style of music. My first music teacher back when I was 16 was real clear about this effect of listening to very wide variety of music including popular music without any pre-bias against listening to music out of your personal comfort zone. So not to be branded a jazz snob which i'm anything but I would say the answer is yes but this also applies to taking the time to listen to classical music,Celtic music African music etc... etc... all will help your musical ear development in the long run.

KLittle123 05-04-2008 08:03 AM

Ah, I see.

I've been listening to a lot of Avant Garde type Jazz with these odd & interesting type progressions and melodies but they're still really good and when I'd go and listen to rock the first thing I'd notice was the progressions.

KCDrummer 05-04-2008 09:54 AM

It would stand to reason. Since jazz is an improvisational, interactive music, playing and listening to it causes you to open up your ears and be more aware of what's going on around you.

aydee 05-04-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCDrummer (Post 436174)
It would stand to reason. Since jazz is an improvisational, interactive music, playing and listening to it causes you to open up your ears and be more aware of what's going on around you.

The answer to you question is really as simple as KC suggests..

btw...listening, overall, is the secret key to playing good music.. of any kind..especially jazz.

harryconway 05-04-2008 10:34 AM

Oh yeah, music appreciation. So much of "rock" is either built upon "blues" or "classical" progressions, simply because the players are schooled and/or inspired by that music. One of my favorite rock meets jazz tracks is on The Stooges "Fun House". 1970 is the song. Suddenly, the sax player Steven MacKay, channels John Coltrane's aura and "freaks out". And again, on the songs Fun House and L.A Blues. Ornette Coleman and Albert Ayler would also come to mind. No doubt it's why I dig John Zorn so much.

Deltadrummer 05-04-2008 04:26 PM

I've always found the same thing with classical music. It opens up your sensuality and makes you so much more musically aware, that even Motley Crue sounds better.

dharma bum 05-04-2008 06:57 PM

Listening to and playing jazz as a kid, I learned a lot about song structures, improvisation, and interaction between musicians. It really helps you to play all sorts of other music, and to learn and play "on the fly."

PQleyR 05-16-2008 12:57 PM

I think just listening to lots of different kinds of music is what does this, broadening your musical experience and knowledge. Someone who listens exclusively to jazz might gain similar benefits from other styles.