DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Favourite Movie Scores and Soundtracks (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37832)

Ben Tormey 04-22-2008 02:34 PM

Favourite Movie Scores and Soundtracks

I was reading the greatest movie thread, and I read this post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Philly (Post 432429)
Listening to it's soundtrack I was reminded how moved I was by Dances with Wolves. Definitely a great movie!

and I thought it might be an idea to discuss our favourite soundtracks. The Blade Runner music by Vangelis, the score to Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, the score to the recent film Sunshine are some of mine.

aydee 04-22-2008 02:49 PM

Re: Favourite Movie Scores and Soundtracks

Blade Runner definitely up there ( what a movie , too )... and here's one out of the the blue .. NORTH DALLAS 40

Construct 04-22-2008 08:17 PM

The Lord of the Rings score. Talk about a way way to emphasize the epic qualities of a film with thundering orchestra numbers.

FourOnSix 04-22-2008 08:34 PM

Star Wars Revenge of the Sith has an amazing score.

Into the Wild and Garden State have the best soundtracks excluding musicals. Eddie Veddar wrote some really awesome songs for into the wild, if anyone here hasn't checked it out you should. I'm also under the understanding that Kaki King played on that album and helped write a song. For those of you who don't know Kaki, she played ballad of the Beacons field miners with Dave Grohl on the lastest foo fighters release, and she did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wsFeXWc82Y

The best soundtrack from a musical IMO is Les mis disc one. Second act needs beefing up, but the first act was stellar.

Mediocrefunkybeat 04-22-2008 08:35 PM

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35020

Yeah, I started a thread about this a while ago - and interestingly enough also mentioned Blade Runner in the first post.

FourOnSix 04-22-2008 08:38 PM

skimming through that thread reminded me that the waking life exists and that is one of the best movies ever made, music and film. I might have to go buy it now.

Ben Tormey 04-22-2008 08:41 PM

My apologies for not doing a search on that!

I think John Williams has created some of the most memorable moments in films just with his compositions. Could anyone imagine Jaws without the signature theme, or Star Wars without the imperial march?

rendezvous_drummer 04-23-2008 01:33 AM

Across the Universe
High Fidelity
Almost Famous

TheGroceryman 04-23-2008 02:04 AM

Well, its not a movie soundtrack, but its actually from a game... but i think it deserves respect because i think nobuo uemetsu (the composer) who wrote the pieces is a genius. He composed scores for the "final fantasy" series. and, yea he's really good....here's some of his work...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dYecLvwOiVA

Class A Drummer 04-23-2008 02:09 AM

School of Rock

yep.

FourOnSix 04-23-2008 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGroceryman (Post 432857)
Well, its not a movie soundtrack, but its actually from a game... but i think it deserves respect because i think nobuo uemetsu (the composer) who wrote the pieces is a genius. He composed scores for the "final fantasy" series. and, yea he's really good....here's some of his work...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dYecLvwOiVA

all time best video game soundtrack

Super Mario Brothers. Minimalism at its best ha.

GRUNTERSDAD 04-23-2008 04:27 AM

Westside Story

Grease.

American Graffiti
My age is showing . Sorry

KLittle123 04-23-2008 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourOnSix (Post 432869)
all time best video game soundtrack

Super Mario Brothers. Minimalism at its best ha.

If you want minimalism check No Country for Old Men. There is no music, yet it adds to the movie, the fact that there's nothing in the background.

But for some reason I liked There Will Be Blood's music. It sort of was different. had some classical but it had some eclectic sort of intense style percussive sounds that sort of set the mood for the scenes. Not just in the background.

Across the Universe was also amazing. I'm not a fan of The Beatles, but Let it Be was amaaazing and the little simple drum break on the trash cans in Hey Jude was pretty cool.

AlexM 04-23-2008 07:11 AM

What about Pirates of the Carribean? Forrest Gump?

Steamer 04-23-2008 07:18 AM

Some of the most beautiful music of incredible depth and scope for film was composed by Howard Shore for the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Amazing incredible music!

harryconway 04-23-2008 07:29 AM

Frankie's House - Jeff Beck (guitar), Jed Leiber (keyboards) 1992

Big Chris 04-23-2008 11:13 AM

Oh come on! You've all missed the best one!

FLASH GORDON!

Big_Philly 04-23-2008 05:34 PM

I like most of Howard Shore's music. The crimson tide soundtrack is very cool!
Edit: Just noticed that that is actually Hans Zimmer's music...

squid 04-24-2008 02:04 AM

Peter Gabriel's soundtrack for Scorcese's "Last Temptation of Christ" is up there as one of my favorites. It's a pretty good movie all around, actually.

DamoSyzygy 04-24-2008 06:46 AM

Quote:

One of the best game themes I remember was for a game called "The Dig" - A LucasArts production and featured some very intense score work by Michael Land. I have the tracks at home and still listen to them!

John Williams, Danny Elfman, Alan Silvestri & James Horner are my favourite movie composers. Williams work is especially beautiful to my ears.

That Guy 04-26-2008 01:41 PM

I really enjoy the Halo (game) soundtracks. There is some real creative genius in those pieces. Marty O'Donnell has always inspired me to continue growing in my musical knowledge.

Citizen Insane 04-28-2008 02:22 AM

I dig Into the Wild's, , The Lord of the Rings, This is Spinak Tap's!, and Apocalypse Now's soundtracks.

Skeemer118 04-28-2008 04:11 PM

I have always loved the Indiana Jones theme & soundtracks.

(Of course, it could just be Harrison Ford in that fedora...lol.)