DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Something i would never dream of doing to my drums (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36973)

drum.lad 03-28-2008 06:18 PM

Something i would never dream of doing to my drums

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G2WScXfqSHw&feature=related

go to a minute in and you will see something that i doubt any drummer who respcted there gear would do i dodnt even see what he is achieving with this

aydee 03-28-2008 06:48 PM

Re: Something i would never dream of doing to my drums

Hes having a little fun with it..not quite doing a Keith Moon or a Jimi Hendrix.. A little showboating isnt too offensive IMO ; )

Big_Philly 03-28-2008 06:51 PM

Well I guess it's a visual thing. But I would kick his ass if he did that with my kit. The heads can take a lot of abuse, and most shells are tougher than you'd expect... but still it's not worth the risk.
I like the paint job on his kit though.

Deathmetalconga 03-28-2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drum.lad (Post 423730)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=G2WScXfqSHw&feature=related

go to a minute in and you will see something that i doubt any drummer who respcted there gear would do i dodnt even see what he is achieving with this

I don't see a problem with it. The kid weighs like 50 pounds. Now if me or Gruntersdad or Fat Elvis did that, we'd crush the drums to splinters, but not some skinny kid.

There was a thread a while back on standing on the bass drum. As long as the drum is reinforced and the person isn't too heavy, it's not a problem.

I used to play at a piano bar and two people would get on top of the grand piano and dance sometimes. Standing on an instrument can be really dramatic if it's done correctly.

Big_Philly 03-28-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga (Post 423748)
I don't see a problem with it. The kid weighs like 50 pounds. Now if me or Gruntersdad or Fat Elvis did that, we'd crush the drums to splinters, but not some skinny kid.

good point, I didn't notice how skinny he was until now.

drum.lad 03-28-2008 06:54 PM

yeah i guess its not terrible but i have seen it go bad before and it was the opposite of impressive

aydee 03-28-2008 06:56 PM

I understand where you're coming from, though...Its disrespect mostly...

TopCat 03-28-2008 06:56 PM

It looks pretty lame, but what's the big deal? All of weight was on his left foot, on the throne.

*edit - Nowhere near as severe as say, something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFZt...eature=related
It is badass though ;)

Mediocrefunkybeat 03-28-2008 08:51 PM

Pity the drummer sucks.

One bass player around here has a double bass and regularly climbs it when he plays, that is to say, he leans it on one side and climbs up the other side of it whist still playing. Fairly impressive.

hawk9290 03-28-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat (Post 423754)
*edit - Nowhere near as severe as say, something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFZt...eature=related
It is badass though ;)

i wonder what his endorsers would have to say about that...the crowd loves it, but still...

Muffled Tom 03-28-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat (Post 423806)
Pity the drummer sucks.

One bass player around here has a double bass and regularly climbs it when he plays, that is to say, he leans it on one side and climbs up the other side of it whist still playing. Fairly impressive.

Wow.

darkstar442 03-28-2008 11:48 PM

well he is actually not putting much wait on it mostly on his chair but i think he looks like a fag when he does that

Muffled Tom 03-29-2008 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar442 (Post 423850)
well he is actually not putting much wait on it mostly on his chair but i think he looks like a fag when he does that

"weight"

Solaris 03-29-2008 05:15 AM

Quote:

Pity the drummer sucks.

At least he's not as bad as Tre Cool from Greenday who used to light his kit on fire.

Still, pity that it's a DW Joey's knocking over there.

Mediocrefunkybeat 03-29-2008 12:31 PM

Not much of a pity if you ask me...

gusty 03-29-2008 04:38 PM

this druma is reli cooool cauze he can play reli fast and hes sooo hot and can stand on his chair and still play hella good <3<3<3

blade123 03-29-2008 07:17 PM

I didn't even need to have the volume on to realize that he sucks.

TopCat 03-29-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Pity the drummer sucks.

Lots of the guys in Psychobilly scene here do that, it makes for a good visual.

aydee 03-29-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Pity the drummer sucks.

Thats very impressive. ..like a Kamasutra move for upright bass players.....

burnthehero 03-30-2008 12:53 AM

It's more pointless than it is harmful.

jesse1322 03-30-2008 05:35 PM

i would never disrespect something that brings me so much fun and something i put all my money into.... i doubt this kid bought the drum set.. i'm sure he got it given to him.. and it doesn't look like he's ever taken any kind of music lessons before. so i understand that maybe he's just trying to be a rock star... but........... he's not..

Dystisis 03-30-2008 06:17 PM

Give the guy a break, people should use their instruments however they wish in my opinion.

Deathmetalconga 03-30-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse1322 (Post 424343)
i would never disrespect something that brings me so much fun and something i put all my money into.... i doubt this kid bought the drum set.. i'm sure he got it given to him.. and it doesn't look like he's ever taken any kind of music lessons before. so i understand that maybe he's just trying to be a rock star... but........... he's not..

This guy probably bought his own set. Stepping on the drum goes back a long, long way ...

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/babydodds.html

rendezvous_drummer 03-31-2008 01:28 AM

I don't think what the kid did was wrong, putting one foot on the floor tom and one foot on the throne. He didn't put too much weight on the floor tom so it wouldn't do any damage and was just doing it for show.....but still, that's not even a solo.

lewisn27 04-01-2008 06:37 PM

that is utter disrespect to his drums. i would't dream of doing that, not even to my 200 drums!

jesusfetusis6 04-05-2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solaris (Post 423928)
At least he's not as bad as Tre Cool from Greenday who used to light his kit on fire.

that's actually what i thought he was going to do. most showboating is lame in my opinion. solos are o.k.

Citizen Insane 04-06-2008 05:09 AM

That is some really bad drumming, and he seems like a showoff deush.

prempex 04-06-2008 06:21 AM

i believe ive seen lars ulrich stand on one of his floortoms and his throne, with his hand sin the air facing the crowd.

surely his weight would do somehting to the skins.

KLittle123 04-06-2008 07:11 AM

He's got some kiiiiller shorts.

Pedey 04-06-2008 10:27 AM

I stand on my drums to stretch them for prime tuning, they are sturdy gurdys.

The only thing wrong is he has the ugliest kit ever.

Big_Philly 04-06-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedey (Post 427001)
The only thing wrong is he has the ugliest kit ever.

Nah, I actually sort of like it. Wouldn't buy one, though. The thing that's most wrong about the video is his drumming.

Minority Of One 04-07-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prempex (Post 426950)
i believe ive seen lars ulrich stand on one of his floortoms and his throne, with his hand sin the air facing the crowd.

surely his weight would do somehting to the skins.

Ive seen footage of lars doing that, but i don't think it really mattered for him, years ago he went through a snare skin every 3 or 4 songs so standing on a skin wouldn't make much difference lol, not sure if he still breaks them that fast

goughy 04-07-2008 11:04 AM

On our funny videos show this week there was a drummer (in a mask of course) that does a throws his stuff around then forward flips onto the top of the bass drum/toms/cymbals and whatever is left standing. Ends on his back on top of the bass drum!

They didn't exactly look like a band that had endorsements either!

greenshirt77 04-07-2008 09:40 PM

I have to admit- I watched the vid and couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be looking for.
So he stood on his stuff. It's showmanship. It's not good showmanship, as he looks silly and isn't that great a drummer, but I really don't understand the big deal.
I've knocked over many a kit, ala Moonie. (Of course this was yrs ago, in my edgier, punkier days)
Would I do it now? Prob not, but in the excitement of a live performance- the spontaneous intensity of the music, the lights, the crowd, (alcohol lol) etc... sometimes the devil on the left shoulder overrides the angel on the right.
Of course the guy in this vid was just in a garage by himself. A little self-absorbed I would say.

Polymetrix1618 04-07-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga (Post 424415)
This guy probably bought his own set. Stepping on the drum goes back a long, long way ...

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/babydodds.html

Yeah, but that's different. Dodds was using his foot to mute the drums as if it was a hand drum. The idiot in the video just did it to try and look cool.

Deathmetalconga 04-07-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polymetrix1618 (Post 427498)
Yeah, but that's different. Dodds was using his foot to mute the drums as if it was a hand drum. The idiot in the video just did it to try and look cool.

Dodds was doing it to look cool as well - and there's nothing wrong with that. I agree, though, the kid in the video did it for no apparent reason. Judging by his playing, he may not have even known he was putting a foot on one of his drums!

Polymetrix1618 04-07-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga (Post 427509)
Dodds was doing it to look cool as well - and there's nothing wrong with that. I agree, though, the kid in the video did it for no apparent reason. Judging by his playing, he may not have even known he was putting a foot on one of his drums!

I don't think Dodds did it to look cool. It looked and sounded like he was using his foot to get a hand drum style muted tone.

dmb_drummer 04-08-2008 02:33 AM

speaking of standing on instruments, has anyone seen or heard of The Tielman Brothers?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YvC2_nsVJv0

The bass player lets the guitar player stand on his bass sometimes and its sweet.

greenshirt77 04-08-2008 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb_drummer (Post 427606)
speaking of standing on instruments, has anyone seen or heard of The Tielman Brothers?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YvC2_nsVJv0

The bass player lets the guitar player stand on his bass sometimes and its sweet.

I can't believe I haven't ever heard of them. That was amazing.
Funny how people will see a band like The Reverand Horton Heat and talk about how the Rev stands on his bass players bass while soloing, and these guys were doing that in 1960.
I better go now, I think I hear DogBreath coming to delete my post for no apparent reason.