DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Scott Travis (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36758)

metal overlord 03-21-2008 09:57 PM

Scott Travis

Ah, Scott Travis, one of mybiggest inspiration to drum.
Drummer for Judas Priest after Dave Holland left, also the drummer for Racer X and Fight.
Kickass, and EXTREMELY underrated drummer.

Can't believe he doesn't have a Page on the Drummers list.

Tamascb10 03-23-2008 12:08 AM

Re: Scott Travis

Yeah Scott rocks!

Love his work in the Jugulator & Painkiller albums!

mikei 03-25-2008 12:58 AM

His work with Fight was equally impressive.

He is the first person I heard use interesting, broken up double bass rhythms. The first fight album is full of great double bass work.

His work with Racer X is mind boggling also! Just as impressive as his Judas Priest and Fight Stuff.

Jim Penebaker 09-09-2008 01:38 AM

Scott Travis

Here's another guy I think would be greatly appreciated by a lot of the drummers into the newer breed of double bass metal drummers. Travis has been around for a while playing with Judas Priest and also Racer X. His work with Priest is great but I really love the drumming he's done with Racer X. One of his signature drum intros was from the tune "Scarified" that came out way back in the late 80s. I've turned certain students on to his playing and they usually really dig it. He has some unique patterns that I've been working on for a while. Another great thing is his feel and sound. It's huge. I just don't see some of the modern metal guys playing like this. Many of them (definitely not all) are too much with double bass workouts and not enough with taste, groove, and innovation.

Ian Williams 09-12-2008 10:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I was astonished when I listened to Scott Travis playing Painkiller and Touch of Evil, very powerful, driven by energy, solid and heavy drumming. Nevertheless, I like his drumming on Fight - War of Words, a heavy backbone support for Rob Halford then.

Cheers,

Ian Williams 09-13-2008 01:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Fellows,

One of my favourite metal skin beaters.

Best Regards,

Jim Penebaker 09-13-2008 07:43 AM

My bad. I didn't realize there was already a thread for Scott Travis.

I can't believe there isn't a page for him here. He definitely is deserving of it. Check out any of the last 3 Racer X records. They're mainly known for what they did in the 80s and early 90s but they put out 3 more records in recent years. "Phallic Tractor", "Superheroes" and "Getting Heavier". These all have great tunes and killer drumming. Very influential to me and a lot of other drummers. It seems that drummers mainly know him from Judas Priest and the "Painkiller" record.
Another little known fact: Racer X's bass player is John Aldrete from The Mars Volta.

Jim Penebaker 09-14-2008 07:21 AM

Correction:
The Racer X record I thought was "Phallic Tractor" is called "Technical Difficulties". "Phallic Tractor" is the name of the 1st song on that CD....and a killer tune at that, with a very impressive unison double bass pattern between Scott and Paul Gilbert on guitar. Check it out.
This guy NEEDS a page here. What up with that?!

mikei 09-24-2008 05:55 PM

I believe that Scott was one of the first metal drummers to not play "just 16th or 32nd notes" in a solid pattern.

He was one of the first people to start incorporating different speeds of DB into the same measure. Started with Scarified. Brilliant stuff.

I love all of his work. Fight, Racer X and Priest. All great!

I love that he plays open and close handed.

Also, not a ton of fills. Really plays for the song and is rock solid.

He also seems to play just a bit behind the beat like Bonham did. Creates a huge pocket, even in metal.

t-bone 12-17-2008 08:34 PM

it was a proud day in my book when i could pull off " scarified" by racer x.....scott is a killer drummer, and one of the few taller than myself, lololololol.....

metal overlord 12-18-2008 03:29 AM

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...cotttravis.jpg

amazing pic I took of him

robbo357 03-19-2009 07:50 AM

Scott Travis is an absolute GUN!!!!!!

He is one of the most solid players around and he can play anything.

I just love his work, his kits and everything else.

I agree with just about every compliment said in this thread!

Plus, I saw Priest live, last year, and that was spectacular!!!!!!!!!

DrumEatDrum 03-22-2009 09:12 PM

I do love Scott Travis's playing.

I had the Racer X albums, and I wore out my tape of "Painkiller". Thankfully, I have it on CD now.

I saw him with Priest a few years ago, incredible show. I also saw him in a rare Racer X live show in January.

If you don't have it, everyone should pick the the last live Judas Priest DVD.

Side note: When I saw him in January, he was playing a DW kit, not his Tama. It didn't seem to be a rental kit.

I found this on wiki:
Quote:

Scott has always used Tama Drums, until 2008. On the first leg of the Judas Priest "Nostradamus Tour" he played a Pearl kit and then switched to a DW kit for the second leg. He was also seen using a DW kit at the NAMM show with his band Racer X.
But he's not listed on the DW site as an endorser.

DrumEatDrum 03-22-2009 10:15 PM

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...d=345566&stc=1

metal overlord 03-23-2009 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum (Post 555337)

I noticed that, too!
I was watching some live stuff on Youtube and I saw his bass drum say "DW" on it.

JT1 03-25-2009 04:13 PM

Scott Travis is my favourite drummer of all time. I first heard him on Painkiller but i soon got into Racer X and his drumming is definately different and more creative than a lot of the 80's metal drumming. Phallic Tractor stands out to me as a drum masterpiece. The fill at the beginning is unreal and took me ages to figure out and now i realise he alternates between 4 with hands, 2 with feet to: 2 with hands and 4 with feet. I wish he had a page on here.

I found a fantastic solo by him when he was with Racer X (http://www.racerxband.com/music.htm) you can download it from this link (This is through the Racer X website) scroll to live extreme volume 1, It's a fantastic solo, very creative and the double bass and snare work is just unbelievable.

Tracks to really check out, Phallic Tractor, Scarified, (Racer X) Painkiller, One Shot at Glory, Jugulator, Bullet Train, Blood Stained, Abductors, Machine Man, Judas is Rising, Deal with the Devil (Judas Priest) Into the Pit, Acid Test, Now you Die (Fight) There are more but there are some great grooves and creative fills in these songs. His style dramatically changed my double bass playing and my drumming in general, i also learnt some stage presence moves from him too.

Thanks for starting a thread on him i've been trying to get a page on Scott for years.

diosdude 03-25-2009 08:22 PM

What an awesome metal drummer! I remember i saw Scott way back in like '90 i think at a drum clinic in Tampa by Thoroughbred Music (now armidillo enterprises, the parent of Dean guitars, ddrum, nord/clavia). I don't remember the exact lineup of drummers but i think it was dennis chambers, Steve Gadd, Russ McKinnon, Liberty Devito, Dom Famularo and scott. Scott came out all laid back and chill and just busted out with, "yeah i got invited to come here for you guys today and saw they had Dom Famularo, Steve Gadd and Dennis Chambers on the ticket and i was thinking, what do they need me for? Drum tech or something?". He had the whole crowd laughing before he took the stage and tore it up. It was interesting to see that he was humbled to share the stage with such drumming icons even though in his own right, in his own circles he's such a revered artist and performer.

Psycalamaro 03-26-2009 05:15 PM

I saw him on Priestfest in Milan and he was awesome , he has a great,big sound and a great creativity.
I think he's the best heavy metal drummer i' ve ever heard

JT1 07-23-2009 01:14 PM

I do believe that Scott has switched to PDP drums now after years of being with TAMA. His set looks a lot more compact too but still a monster of a drummer, check out songs from British Steel being played live on Youtube, man they sound as good as they ever did and Scott is still pushing the Priest machine forward with his awesomeness.

bonzolead 07-23-2009 06:31 PM

Scott Travis IMO is the best thing to happen to Judas Priest his drumming is far superior to the original drummer I thought he was good just not the same caliber as ST.

I just saw Judas Priest last week and they were great ST sounded incredible as usual but the whole band sounded great. They sounded as good now as they ever have IMO.

Bonzolead

JT1 07-24-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzolead (Post 596768)
Scott Travis IMO is the best thing to happen to Judas Priest his drumming is far superior to the original drummer I thought he was good just not the same caliber as ST.

I just saw Judas Priest last week and they were great ST sounded incredible as usual but the whole band sounded great. They sounded as good now as they ever have IMO.

Bonzolead

Awesome i know some people have criticised Halfords voice but i still think he can really kick it on most songs, songs like Painkiller aren't as good but i think that has sunk in now as they have removed it from the Anniversary set list. I have seen them 3 times now and was never disappointed. Scott amazes me each time i see him he has a new stick trick and i love the way he makes the classic Priest his own with his own grooves and fills.