DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Lounge (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   A warning to potential drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36732)

Muffled Tom 03-20-2008 11:29 PM

A warning to potential drummers
 
WARNING
to all potential drummers:

Being a drummer may compromise your ability to concentrate on non-percussive parts of any artistic act if there happens to be drummer(s) and/or a percussionist(s) present at the spectacle.

Pour example: Yesterday I watched the Cirque de Soleil presentation of Alegría. It was very fun, and a very beatiful act (although I must say the trapeze artists were quite weak). Problem is, there was a full band playing in the back, including a Canadian drummer with a big drumset, the make of which I could not distinguish due to the distance at which it was from my seat.

Anyway, I have to admit that I missed one or two important parts of certain performances because I was too busy watching the drummer in the background, and trying to understand why he'd alternate between lifting his leg for a bassdrum hit, and sometimes seeming to play completely heel down, in a single groove. It was really kinda weird.

So does anyone else find it hard to concentrate on other things in a performance if there's a drummer present (like at a rock show, I sometimes concentrate more on the drums than the guitar or vocals or anything).

rendezvous_drummer 03-20-2008 11:51 PM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Whenever i'm at a show, I always concentrate on the drummer and everything else is ignored. I can't help it, it's just the way I was born.

jayp 03-21-2008 12:35 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
I also do the same I catch myself zoned on the drummer, but the reason is simple.

We are all striving to be better and learn new things, by watching the drummer you can do a few things.

You can see where you compaire to the drummer playing, also you can find new ideas and spawn motiviation for your playing, new fills, sticking patterns, grooves, kit setup ect...

Theres tons of things you can get by just watching the drummer, and im sure all of this applies to guitarists, singers, bass players ect, you love your instrument and you want to take in all you can when you are givin the opportunity.

drum.lad 03-21-2008 12:38 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
This happens to me all the time i just saw foo fighters recently (well last august) and i couldnt take my eyes off taylor its a curse lol but its more fun that way singers are boring guitar players are full of them selves,drummers are just fun to watch

Leadfoot 03-21-2008 12:45 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Guitars? Vocals? What's to watch? I find myself watching the drummer while hearing everything else.

Muffled Tom 03-21-2008 12:48 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadfoot (Post 421309)
Guitars? Vocals? What's to watch? I find myself watching the drummer while hearing everything else.

You can't listen to an acrobat.

funkytomtom 03-21-2008 04:47 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
I actually dislike certain bands I would otherwise be into solely because of the drumming and the other way around as well

aydee 03-21-2008 05:36 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
LOL, very true. And not just with shows... most times I listen to a tune, I'm listening to the drummer and not the tune. On the 3rd replay, I take in the whole song.

Crazy people..drummers.

votard 03-21-2008 05:54 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
I find myself disliking a band if I can't hear the guitar good enough, even if the drummer is good. It happens a lot with metal bands, especially metalcore(vocalists of that subgenre are a joke) and death metal. I keep trying to like nile, but from the one song i've heard, i can barely hear the guitars, much less be able to tell any pitch changes.

OceanDirt 03-21-2008 05:56 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
i'm definitely guilty of this, though i've been actively working to undo it.

it's the progression you go through: when you first start out listening to music before you play drums, you just sort of hear everything and take it in without analyzing it.

as you play drums more and more you begin to analyze the drum part - you focus in and hear nothing else.

in order to broaden yourself musically, the next step is to open your ears - hear the drums within the CONTEXT of the music. by listening to the bass/piano/guitar/saxophone/whatever player more, you can figure out WHY the drummer does the cool stuff he does instead of just HOW or when he does it.

DrumGod 03-21-2008 03:40 PM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Its more frustrating for my girlfriend because she likes to bring me to orchaestras and opera but i find myself just staring at the percussion section. Evem if they arent even playing anythin im still staring in case they start and i miss something

volume_3 03-21-2008 05:25 PM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Likewise

And it is because we play drums.

Before i played drums i never really payed much attention, but now i do, i look at the kit, the set-up, how he/she plays, etc... If the front-men/women are good i'll watch them alot, but drummers grab attention more because I play drums and can relate to them.

jesusfetusis6 03-24-2008 11:50 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
i do it all the time at shows, though it gets irritating cause i'll miss half the song while i'm thinking about what's going on with the drumming.

KLittle123 03-25-2008 12:00 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanDirt (Post 421395)
i'm definitely guilty of this, though i've been actively working to undo it.

it's the progression you go through: when you first start out listening to music before you play drums, you just sort of hear everything and take it in without analyzing it.

as you play drums more and more you begin to analyze the drum part - you focus in and hear nothing else.

in order to broaden yourself musically, the next step is to open your ears - hear the drums within the CONTEXT of the music. by listening to the bass/piano/guitar/saxophone/whatever player more, you can figure out WHY the drummer does the cool stuff he does instead of just HOW or when he does it.

Dude, I'm trying to undo the same thing. I listen to the drums and not why the drums are in the music. I totally skip it all. It's odd.

oldrockdrummer 03-25-2008 12:09 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Excuse me I didnt hear what you said I was listening to the drums!

Muffled Tom 03-25-2008 12:18 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldrockdrummer (Post 422435)
Excuse me I didnt hear what you said I was listening to the drums!

hahaha nice one..

2020

darkstar442 03-29-2008 03:41 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
i do it all the time but i dont care. the only time i ever watch the guitarests is when they are doing an extreme solo and the drums arnt doin much. if you cant tell i listen to hardcore death metal

Wavelength 03-29-2008 10:16 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
If you're utterly unable to listen to anything else other than the drums, I bet your bandmates just love to play with you... :-)

Big_Philly 03-29-2008 12:31 PM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavelength (Post 423973)
If you're utterly unable to listen to anything else other than the drums, I bet your bandmates just love to play with you... :-)

Touché!

I used to listen to the drums only, but I grew out of it since I started playing in bands. I am still quite focused on the drums both when I play and when I listen, but also pay a good deal of attention to the musical context to make sure it all fits in.

Citizen Insane 04-14-2008 11:46 PM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
I sometimes do that, but I try not too. Paying attention to the ensemble as a whole is the best way to enjoy music, whether your a musician or a casual listener.

Deathmetalconga 04-15-2008 12:30 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
I also tend to listen to the drums more than any other instrument. At the same time, I like listening to music where there are no drums at all.

PQleyR 04-15-2008 12:34 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
I got round this problem by learning drums, bass, guitar, keys, whistle, theremin, xiao, and erhu (and anything else nearby). I recommend this to all of you! Learn to play every instrument that you can get your hands on. Even if it's extremely rudimentary, it'll grant you valuable insights into how a particular aspect of music works. Wind instruments are great for giving you a better understanding of melody, for example, as they're usually monophonic. Plus it helps you better understand how other musicians think about music, too, which is extremely useful.

Then you can watch everybody!

ZildjianMan1023 04-15-2008 01:05 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muffled Tom (Post 421270)
WARNING
to all potential drummers:

Being a drummer may compromise your ability to concentrate on non-percussive parts of any artistic act if there happens to be drummer(s) and/or a percussionist(s) present at the spectacle.

Pour example: Yesterday I watched the Cirque de Soleil presentation of Alegría. It was very fun, and a very beatiful act (although I must say the trapeze artists were quite weak). Problem is, there was a full band playing in the back, including a Canadian drummer with a big drumset, the make of which I could not distinguish due to the distance at which it was from my seat.

Anyway, I have to admit that I missed one or two important parts of certain performances because I was too busy watching the drummer in the background, and trying to understand why he'd alternate between lifting his leg for a bassdrum hit, and sometimes seeming to play completely heel down, in a single groove. It was really kinda weird.

So does anyone else find it hard to concentrate on other things in a performance if there's a drummer present (like at a rock show, I sometimes concentrate more on the drums than the guitar or vocals or anything).

pour example? pourqoui pas parle for?

Drum-Head 04-15-2008 02:03 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 (Post 430166)
pour example? pourqoui pas parle for?

Pourquoi pas parle for? What does that mean, "why not talk for"? Huh? lol

ZildjianMan1023 04-16-2008 02:15 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drum-Head (Post 430183)
Pourquoi pas parle for? What does that mean, "why not talk for"? Huh? lol

i was trying to say. why not use for instead of pour, but i havent had french in a few months so my vocab is a little whacky. for some reason i wasnt rostered french 2 second semester. but anywyas!

back on topic

Drum-Head 04-16-2008 01:44 PM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
lol okay. :) Sorry for the topic interruption!

ZildjianMan1023 04-16-2008 10:17 PM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drum-Head (Post 430699)
lol okay. :) Sorry for the topic interruption!

hha nah man i wasnt yelling at you, i was apologizing to the thread starter

Fur drummer 04-26-2008 04:43 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
I was at a outdoor local rock music festival last weekend. No nationally known or really famous bands, just young local bands trying to make it. I listened to the whole band but kept staring at the drummer. I would look at the lead guitarist and singer now and then but most of the time looked at the drummer. I did this with every band. I also started playing along with the drummers in my mind and tried to anticipate when they would play accents on the cymbals and BD. Anyone else play along with the drummer of a band they are watching?

The audio mix at the festival was so bad you couldn't help but just listen to the drums. They overpowered the other instruments. All the drummers snares sounded like someone cracking a whip and the BDs like claps of thunder. It was LOUD and I loved it!

Fassa Albrecht 04-29-2008 01:20 AM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Reminds me of when I was 6yrs old and I was listening to New Order and all I could remember was the strangely metronomic drumming and the bassline ( I play bass)

Skeemer118 04-30-2008 04:46 PM

Re: A warning to potential drummers
 
Oh yeah, I for sure pay more attention to the drums than anything else & I do find it distracting at times. The best show I've ever seen that kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole night was "Stomp".

A drummers dream....


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com