DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM

DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drummers (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Abe Cunningham (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3553)

Drum4fun 10-24-2005 06:37 AM

Abe Cunningham

I'd love to see Abe Cunningham added to drummerworld.

I am not a particually huge fan of New metal, but with the Advent of bands such as incubus, korn, limp bizcut etc - the deftones are one of my fave's.

Abe has such a wicked fusion going on in his drumming and really brings the drumming to life in the deftones.

A great example of someone who thinks out of the box with almost all his beats.

anyway, just wanted to G up Abe - keep up the good work abe!

cheers,

Ashton Drum's 10-24-2005 10:48 AM

Re: Abe Cunningham - Deftones

My friend is a big fan of Abe can't say I am but that doesn't mean I don't like him but one thing I like about Abe is the way he move's his hole body when he play's the drums he's good to watch

kjsm 10-25-2005 04:03 PM

Re: Abe Cunningham

abe cunningham is a totally underrated drummer. i wish he would stick to single bass but then he uses his double bass pedal (iron cobra powerglide if i'm not mistaken for those who are interested) like a single, say for quick triplets or something and maybe he just likes the fact that it is easier to pound that way live rather than trying to pound out a triplet on a single bass set -
(And don't say 'bonham could do it' because bonham is so deified it's impossible to tell what's truth> people saying on the pearl drummers forum that 'they recorded loads of their songs with the drum mics in the room ABOVE the room bonham was drumming in because he played so loud! and he had everything tuned real low so he was definitiely SMACKING those drums [ie - s*** technique] etc'. fact is bonham, like abe cunningham, went for quick a high tension to help with resonance and used a refined wrist-with-a-little-finger motion to get his playing how he did. more of his talent is in hte particular grooves he came up with and also managed to make the drums in rock sound intelligent, in a way that a lot of the players of the day played only what i can describe as in a 'dumb' way ()and i hate that ().) -
abe cunningham's particualr drum sound, his style, his patterns, his not overplaying that borders sometimes on overplaying but never gets so unsatisfying as that...wonderful drummer. to me, the drummer dave silveria could have been had he not decided to go for a dumbed down drum sound (less articulate) a simplified style and a disgusting smacking technique. i thought really that give nthe operation he had to have on his writst, maybe that was why the drumparts had 'simplified' but from what i can see it's becuase he's just decdied to be like morgan rose etc nad smack the hell out of things. poor.
well done abe. he really plays with passion live. when he plays the opening drum pattern to 'around the fur' (which he does on a single bass pedal, not between his two feet - ie why bother having a double pedal at all when that's the closest thing to 16ths that he does on the bass), he has this way of nodding, looking pleased but getting enough sexy energy into it and looks like the music is moving him. very impressive

MECHT4NK 10-25-2005 04:11 PM

I do like the deftones and also his playing. also love the sound of his drums on the beginning of my own summer (don't know on which album it was but it was on the matrix soundtrack).

morrison13 11-23-2005 10:32 PM

First two hits on "My Own Summer (Shove It)"....'nuff said

thinkintriplets 11-23-2005 10:36 PM

He is pretty smooth.

Passenger is an awesome song off of White Pony. Indeed, that whole album rocks off of all thier other ones (IMO).

Marc.

theduke86 11-24-2005 12:19 AM

The guy's a good drummer. I haven't listened to him in a long time. I always liked Chino's voice but the guitar tone got on my nerves.. that and the slightly formulaic new metal writing. I think that Digital Bath off White Pony is a particularly interesting piece of drumming.

wes 12-15-2005 01:01 AM

Deftones is such a good band. I was sorta disapointed from B sides and Raraties though, i liked it when they were heavier.

:D

Anchein Vouivra 12-17-2005 12:22 PM

He's just awesome, his drum sound is incredibly cutting and powerful. I've seen him live once and he's an animal on stage and a very hard hitter but it sounds so good.......that was such an inspiration!!
It took time for me to like the deftones, I always tought that they were just another boring nu-metal band in the vein of Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit. But after taking time listening, cuz i was really loving the drum sound, I started to feel how great it was, Passenger and 7 words

burnthehero 12-18-2005 03:30 AM

The drumming on the White Pony album was inspiring, to say the least. It seemed like at every live show I went to after that album came out, every drummer played the RX Queen drum beat during sound check. That really says something. The thing about Abe's drumming, though, is that it isn't timeless. It doesn't stand alone. Outside of the Deftones, he's just another rock drummer.

sideshowant 12-18-2005 04:35 AM

engine #9 is one of the all time sickest songs. abe is definately a greaat drummer.

karltheweed 01-03-2006 09:32 AM

Abe Cunningham is my hero. He is absolutely amazing. Every song on every Deftones album has excellent drumming.

He plays softer and more expressive things like on Digital Bath where he plays a trippy, intricate groove (Listen during the verse, as far as i can hear, its completely one handed. Also the chorus sounds one handed minus the flams)
And then as far as heavy goes, the chorus to Minus Blindfold is as heavy as it gets. I like that he doesnt resort to just laying double bass over the entire thing and call it "heavy". If more metal drummers were as creative as Abe Cunningham, we'd have less crappy metal.

Not to mention that he plays like a freaking BEAST.

finnhiggins 01-03-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karltheweed
Abe Cunningham is my hero. He is absolutely amazing. Every song on every Deftones album has excellent drumming.

He plays softer and more expressive things like on Digital Bath where he plays a trippy, intricate groove (Listen during the verse, as far as i can hear, its completely one handed. Also the chorus sounds one handed minus the flams)

It's more linear than one-handed. No unisons, but certainly not the kind of thing you'd want to be playing with just the one hand... not exactly Def Leppard!

Blue 01-03-2006 12:01 PM

He's ridiculous. Genius. Perfect for the deftones. It makes it so Raw, and in your face. His pedal work is amazing (I thought he only had a single-bass drum pedal?)

Stu_Strib 01-03-2006 12:10 PM

I can't say I am much of an expert on Deftones, but sampling the tunes on iTunes, I recognized the song "Digital Bath" from White Pony album, and I must say that is some tasty rock drumming. With the linear patterns, he sounds kind of like a heavy metal Carter Beauford.

Great sounding drums too. Why can't more of those type of bands have quality recorded drum sounds?

hoginthesky 01-04-2006 12:38 AM

I would love to know if anyone knows what heads he uses for everything???

Id appreciate!

Al

Chris 04-05-2006 07:51 AM

Abe has been one of my favorite drummers since before i even started playing. What initially one me over was how much passion he played with. Once i started playing drums and understanding them I realized what a great drummer he really was. Watching the Deftones (who are my favorite band) live at Taste of Chaos this year was a real treat for me.

Dunny 04-13-2006 01:23 AM

His Style of Playing is so Unique, at least to me. I dont know of anyone like him. Every hit is crisp even if it is the slightest tap all the way to the rim shots. I love Every Deftones Album so I guess I might be a little biased but digital bath, around the fur, root, Teenager, and Korea stick out for me, but again there are many more.
I have a Deftones live at Hawaii DVD and they have accoustic sessions on there and even Abe playing on the 2 lil bongos is so mesmerizing.
You can say I'm a little obsessed.

gaspesien 04-13-2006 03:50 PM

STu, you nailed it, heavy music Carter beauford, that`s exactly what i think. Seen those guys live 7-8 years ago, in all the live outdoor shows i`ve seen it was the best sounding ever, big fan of deftones.

altered_beast 05-26-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue
I thought he only had a single-bass drum pedal?)

I'm pretty sure he uses a double pedal on "When Girls Telephone Boys"... as for elsewhere I can't say I've noticed anything that might require a double bass pedal.

The Rev #2 06-26-2006 09:11 PM

Everybody listen to the song Change (In The House Of Flies). It's not a big drumming song but it's prabably one of my favorite songs ever. Deftones are one of my favorite bands and Abe surely is a great drummer. His drum sound on My Own Summer is just awesome. White Pony is just amazing.

Anchein Vouivra 06-28-2006 02:00 PM

I just have one very big problem against The Deftones. I've seen them 3 years ago with an opening by A Perfect Circle in Switzerland, and 2 weeks ago the same night and on the same stage than Tool at Rock Im Park in Germany. Both time these bastards didn't even manage to play PASSENGER knowing Maynard was in the backstage. This song is perfection in itself,............but no, apparently they don't like to play it even with Mr James Keenan hangin around !!!

pudgytheclown 09-09-2006 05:23 AM

OH MY GOD I LOVE ABE! him and deftones are my favorites hands down. does any body know what the dimensions and heads are for his snare (personally my favorite sound out of snare)

Ozzy Biz 09-09-2006 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anchein Vouivra
I just have one very big problem against The Deftones. I've seen them 3 years ago with an opening by A Perfect Circle in Switzerland, and 2 weeks ago the same night and on the same stage than Tool at Rock Im Park in Germany. Both time these bastards didn't even manage to play PASSENGER knowing Maynard was in the backstage. This song is perfection in itself,............but no, apparently they don't like to play it even with Mr James Keenan hangin around !!!

Damn... thats my favourite song of theirs. I might go put White Pony on now...

Biz

pudgytheclown 11-04-2006 02:22 AM

oh my god i just saw them and guess what they played passenger with out maynerd. They are amazing live ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

DWfan20005 03-09-2007 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pudgytheclown (Post 206623)
OH MY GOD I LOVE ABE! him and deftones are my favorites hands down. does any body know what the dimensions and heads are for his snare (personally my favorite sound out of snare)

He uses a Tama Bell Brass snare and the measurements are 14 in diameter and 6.5 in depth.

Drumdog 03-19-2007 04:24 AM

Whilst Danny Carey and Josh Freese are freaks and they inspire me everyday, the biggest influence on my playing is this man.

Like a fine chef he knows how to make a song taste so damn good. Adding flaour where necessary, then when it needs to pack a punch, he hits you with some outrageous bass/snare patterns. His grooves are so infectious and muso's who don't play drums always seem to give props to the man when they hear him play.

Just saw them live a few weeks ago in melbourne, got a great side on view of him bashing away, he hits like a boxer, yet he grooves his ass off.....

I see the alient antfarm drummer has been added, yet Abe cunningham is left out???????????????????????????????????

CAN HE PLEASE BE ADDED TO DRUMMERWORLD.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheSun17 08-31-2007 09:52 PM

I think he should defintly be on Drummer World, I was really suprised when i couldnt find him...He is an awesome drummer and always makes the best patterns for deftones..he defintly completes the band...

Jim Penebaker 07-29-2008 09:17 AM

Wow. Can't believe he doesn't have a page. Love this band. Especially White Pony and Around the Fur.

TampaDrummer 09-09-2008 03:13 AM

Another one of my favs. Whats funny about him is that I used to listen to him before I started playing drums and think to myself 'God this is the easiest stuff to play.'

Then of course when I learned what I was doing, I was able to hear his drumming under another light. For instance, all of his geniously placed ghost notes as well as his crazy swinging 16th hihat grooves.

And yes... that SNARE! Abe was rocking OCDP way before Mr.Barker was and the recordings prove it. Those heavy ass Z Custom hats accompanied with that vented snare and wet ass bass drum made for some of the best recorded grooves I've ever heard.

wheresmysnare 10-15-2008 08:07 PM

Abe is my favourite drummer of all time and I will attempt to explain why. I started drumming when nu-metal was in its ascendency, Nu-Metal (in my opinion) was saturated with lots of good drummers (albiet shit music) who I could have chose to learn from. I picked Abe because I connected with Deftones style and I knew I could feel how visceral Abes beats were, they were picked perfectly every time and I just wanted to know what it would be like to play like that. I still can't play half his stuff and it's been what, 8 years now?? I can get the general feel of his songs but if you want to match him beat for beat you've got a job on your hands and so will half the people who would class him as average because he doesn't abuse a double bass like the various showmen of metal. If you watch Abe live or see him just messing around on the skins you'll witness him come out with all sorts of crazy grooves, sometimes in a more funky or drum bass style than would fit the Deftones, but he has a lot of tricks up his pocket. Grade A drummer, knows how to fit tight subtle grooves around rudimentary metal guitar riffs, was always about the music, helped make a metal band and never showed off in the process, mad energy on stage, perfect choice for the Deftones.

oh and his snare on atf is a 6x14 Vented 20 ply OCDP Snare with 4 2 inch vents

PQleyR 03-30-2009 05:02 PM

I'm going to resurrect this thread as I was just listening to their self-titled album and it reminded me of the moment I became aware of how good Abe is...I was listening to the radio when the album was about to come out and they played 'Bloody Cape', and I heard that fill before each chorus...it's just so cool!

If you don't know which one I mean, it comes in at 1.17, 1.57, and 2.17...

...funny how it's all 7s, isn't it?

The whole track is brilliant though, one of my very favourites.

beatboy21212 07-16-2009 03:25 PM

I think Abes stand out material is the song "Dai Thr Flu" which is one my favorite Deftones album.

RollingStone000 11-09-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineeringjobs (Post 629889)
WOW it is very funny . Abe is my favourite drummer of all time and I will attempt to explain why. I started drumming when nu-metal was in its ascendency,

Abe was definitely doing something that most drummers weren't at the time. I vividly remember listening to Adrenaline and Around the Fur and thinking, "what the hell is he doing?!?!?" I mean you could follow (imagine in your head) what David Silveria (Korn) or John Otto (Limp Bizkit) were doing, but Abe's drumming was extremely original.

LeftoverPenguin 02-09-2011 12:08 AM

Going to resurrect this thread because Diamond Eyes needs some love in here. Some amazing drumming on this album - even more so than Abe's previous efforts. You've Seen The Butcher, Prince, Beauty School... highly recommended.

Saw them recently when they were touring Alice In Chains, and going to try going to see them again when they come around in a few months. He's fun to watch.

Often if I'm playing along with a track just for fun, it's a Deftones track.

paistemage 02-11-2011 05:07 PM

I seen them on the White pony tour. What I love is it grooves, EXCELLENT snare sound, and his dynamic really contrasts Chinos voice.

Maynard came out and sang Passenger with them, that was cool. After their set it was Tool. Good times.

Nitemare 07-09-2011 06:13 AM

For those who were asking, Abe uses Evans Heads, Tama Drums, he used OCDP snares in the first two albums, a Tama Iron Cobra double-Pedal, which he uses SUBTLY on a lot of Deftones songs, Zildjian cymbals, and Pro-Mark Sticks. And Abe isn't unoriginal, listen to Knife Party from White Pony.

toddy 07-11-2011 05:15 PM

lovely ghost notes. knife party etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tID7sLH1Q-w
+ he has seemed like such a laid back dude in any interviews i've seen.

StephenC 11-17-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitemare (Post 864206)
For those who were asking, Abe uses Evans Heads, Tama Drumming Lessons, he used OCDP snares in the first two albums, a Tama Iron Cobra double-Pedal, which he uses SUBTLY on a lot of Deftones songs, Zildjian cymbals, and Pro-Mark Sticks. And Abe isn't unoriginal, listen to Knife Party from White Pony.

Sweet. I'll soon be having the same drum set as well. Well Abe is one of the drummers I admire whenever he is on the roll and banging and drumming.

supermachoman 07-28-2014 07:04 PM

hi guys.
I'm trying to go for a White Pony snare sound, anyone can give some ideas on how to achieve that?